PDA

View Full Version : Broken XBox's, Your Stories and Stats

Webb
01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
So in my battle to find the truth behind MS and it's 360 repairing situation regarding launch consoles please can you tell of your mishaps and the situations regarding your launch consoles...

I am ideally after pre 1st of Jan 06 console stories...

How many have you had? How much have they charged you? What did they say? Any more info would make me grateful :)

** By posting in this thread you grant me permission to quote you in the upcoming editorial **

Bopher1
01-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, I got mine the day after Thanksgiving, 2005. Worked awesome, until early June. I had a Warranty through EB Games.. so I traded the busted one for a new one. This one's Manufacture date is May of 06. On December 14th, I put in Gears of War, It read it as a DVD.It came up with that, 'Insert into an Xbox 360 console' screen. So I took the disc out, checked it.. nothing. Altogether, it stoped spinning a CD when I put it in, yet.. I coudl watch DVDs... But now, I can't watch DVDs.. I called Microsoft the day after Christmas, and the guy walked me through all the troubleshooting stpes, which I had already done numeous times. He finally concluded that it needed repairing. So he said they'd ship me a box, and fix it free of charge (I asked about the extended warranty, that is when he told me it was free.) But now, here it is 8 days later (officially 6-7 business days) and I still have no box.. Which he Promised would be here before January 1st, barrign the weather.. Which it snowed... a lot here. But Oh well, If I don't get a box by tomorrow.. I'm calling again.

Oh, and this will be my 3rd 360.

PerpetualHeaven
01-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Okay, mine was launch but I have an issue with microsoft.

First, they allow Nyko to make the intercoolers yet they break the console and they know it. They also void your warranty for it even though they give no prior warning in their instruction booklets or anything. What kind of bs is that?

Second, I've had better customer support from the Flinstones. Honestly, if they're dying for customer service reps, please hire some who can speak clear english. I have nothing against people who can't, hey my dad has a hard time speaking clear english. but the fact that the girl asked me how old I was because I couldn't find a hole she had the hardest time explaining, offended me.

Lastly,they should have a long time ago added the 1 year warranty plus free repairs for launch consoles to everyone. I know the Americans get it repaired free, but why not the Europeans? I never read anywhere that the console rule doesn't apply to Europeans. Also, their unfairness to all surrounding countries other then America. Canadians and a 1250 point card for 19.99$? That's a crock. What the hell am I suppose to do with 50 points?

Anyways, I'll tell you my experience. One day I was playing gears and it was fine. Went to go see borat and came home and tried to play some PSU. I got the red lights and don'cha know it it's broken because of the bloody Nyko intercooler. Anyways, I lied and got my console repaired but not before having some really shitty customer service. So I call them and this girl has a hard time pronouncing my name and telling me where the manual eject hole is. Of course, we tried for 20 minutes and she apologizes. I ask, "what are you guys going to do now about my game stuck in there?" She says that they'll eject it and send it back to me with the console. I told her that it's from a store and I'll have a huge late fee. She says that isn't their problem and I have to pay the fee. Of course, i'm extremely pissed now that i have to use my mothers card. Not like it makes a difference, but I would like to go back there someday and not have a 44 dollar late fee for one GAME.

Alright, continuing on. After I let my steam off because Microsoft won't reimburse me for the late fee or do anything about it. I call the next day and ask what if my power supply is messed up. So they said they'll send me a new one (I didn't even know if it was messed up but it woudl cool to have a back up power supply). Okay, so they send me a new one and it gets here in 1 day (before the box is even here which is BULL). Of course, it's not the power supply. They sent me the cord instead. I call back and say I want a new power supply. They told me they have to send me another box for it and I said NO THANKS.

Anyways, the box comes 5 business days later. I put the 360 in there and off it goes. Of course it makes it back there in 2 days. Now, here's my biggest beef. It's not thanksgivings day in Canada, why the hell is the repair staff taking a 1 week break? So of course, I don't get my console back for like 7-8 business days.

Microsoft sucks the gonads in terms of customer support. They need to do everything express from now on.

Zef
01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a European launch console, it has been working pretty well ever since I got it but there have been a few strange goings on.

Alot of games seem to freeze up, whether that is simply a game problem or a console problem I don't know, but eventually they will work.

The major problem I have with the console is the volume, it's so loud I have to double the volume if I want to play a game. If I then go to the dashboard to watch TV the volume is twice as loud, so my ears explode. I do get the occasional break when the darn thing just begins to purr like a techno-kitten, eventually it will just go back into charging rhino mode though.

I've never had to call Xbox Support though, I dread the day I have to though.

Webb
01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Lastly,they should have a long time ago added the 1 year warranty plus free repairs for launch consoles to everyone. I know the Americans get it repaired free, but why not the Europeans? I never read anywhere that the console rule doesn't apply to Europeans..

Apparently according to eurogamer.net it does :confused:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67825

TheMollywhopper
01-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I bought my first 360 in late February... it ceased to work about 2 weeks later. I called MS, they sent me a box, I sent off the box, and about 6 days later I had a new box (well, a new serial number, probably a refurbished system). I then decided to purchase my store's (Game Crazy) replacement plan, which I had to utilize 3 times over the course of about 4 months. The shit thing about their contract is that it corresponds to your serial number, so you have to buy a new service plan if you want your replacement box to be covered. It is, however, a no questions asked affair: Just walk in, switch boxes, pony up 40 bucks. The money is worth the trouble it saves in my opinion. I am on my 5th box now, which I have had since August. It makes funny noises quite frequently and I'm hoping it holds up until the 'boxes with the new processors come out (which I will get as soon as they're available even if mine is still working.)

p.s. I know all of these boxes were purchased after the date you're looking for, but Game Crazy has a wack-ass storage and shipping system, and often have stuff backstocked in warehouses that belong on empty shelves.

TimidKillah
01-03-2007, 11:53 PM
NOT ONE WORD!!!;)

Webb. You fight your ass off!

My first unit had a production date of 12/12/05. I bought it from Circuit City here in NY at the end of Jan/06. It lasted me until some time in June when I started having cd drive issues. The cd tray wouldn't stay closed no matter what I did - even with the power off. It would close then reopen.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5378

I got in touch with M$ and they replaced the unit free of charge. They sent me the prepaid packaging to ship it back to them. The unit that they sent back to me had a production date of 10/05 (I don't remeber that exact date, but I know I was pissssssssed). Now that second unit lasted until November some time (emergence day I believe) where the exact same problem happened again to this newly refurbed-older-than-the-one-I-sent-in unit. For this repair, M$ covered it, but I had it cover the shipping going. (I was told it was a new policy). Smelled like crap to me but...since it broke the same exact way, with the same kid playing it, I would have been suspicious too. Anyways, the third unit that came in had a production date of 6/06 and (as far as I know) is still running.

Good luck Webb.

Webb
01-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Cheers fella and good to see that you still check in mate. Hope things are well your end :)

TimidKillah
01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Cheers fella and good to see that you still check in mate. Hope things are well your end :)

Always considered this home;). :offtopic: Things are working out. Would hate to see you leave. Lots of luck to you in your fight for what's right!

Maka
01-04-2007, 01:27 AM
First off, I got My xbox 360 on Launch Date.

This one broke sometime after the initial 3 month warranty wore off, so anywhere from The End of February to the end of April. I called Microsoft, and they were cool about it, and informed me that they extended the warranty or seomthing and were glad to replace it free of charge. I waited about 3-4 Business days for my box to arrive so That i could send my 360 to them. After I sent it out, I waited about 1 1/2 - 2 Weeks and got my other xbox. It was in great condition and looked like a new unit. Since then, I havent had a single problem with my xbox.

And if you wanted to know the problem with my original 360, it was a problem with my Disc Reader. No Red Lights or anything, It just wouldnt read disc. As for that and countless broken headsets, I havent really had any problems...

thieflordgamer
01-04-2007, 01:38 AM
I got my 360 on launch date. No problems until June '06, it gave me the 3 red lights. I had to pay 130$ US for the repair. They sent me a "working" 360 which didn't work from the first minute. Then I sent that back and got my 3rd 360 which has just gone out tonight. It gave me 3 red lights, and I called but luckily they decided to repair for free since I just got this one not too long ago. I'm pretty pissed about my Xbox Live membership, game rentals, and time in the gamerscore league running out as they take their time sending me a new 360.

And they ship the 360's in a cardboard box, barely the size of the 360. There is no padding at all to speak of. This seems pretty retarded to me. I will be on my 4th 360 once I get it in 2 weeks.

PerpetualHeaven
01-04-2007, 02:02 AM
There is one thing though. I heard one microsoft rep say that all 360s should be plugged directly into the wall. Apparently all the failures have been because of that. The Powersuppy has a surge protector built-in it and plugging it into a power strp or surge protector causes eletrical problems hence the 3 red lights which is hardware failure.
I've been doing that ever since and I haven't had a single freeze up and my console is almost on 15 hours a day. There were some links to prove that is is the truth but i'll have to find them when I get back on my computer.

IceWarm
01-04-2007, 02:49 AM
I got my first Xbox 360 in April of 2006. It was a premium system. It started having problems closing the disc tray in late September. It finally broke when I ejected it and the tray literally popped out of the system. I heard rattling inside the system and I tipped it upside down and out fell a gear that had broken and another gear. These are the gears that make the drive tray open/close. The gears were shredded and were no longer holding the tray in place.

The warranty was expired so I just bought a core system and put my hard drive on it.

Now however they've extended the warranty and maybe I can get a replacement 360 and sell it.

Im a Manatee
01-04-2007, 03:33 AM
There is one thing though. I heard one microsoft rep say that all 360s should be plugged directly into the wall. Apparently all the failures have been because of that. The Powersuppy has a surge protector built-in it and plugging it into a power strp or surge protector causes eletrical problems hence the 3 red lights which is hardware failure.
I've been doing that ever since and I haven't had a single freeze up and my console is almost on 15 hours a day. There were some links to prove that is is the truth but i'll have to find them when I get back on my computer.

It's in the setup manual that is in the box. I could scan it if you don't have it./

PerpetualHeaven
01-04-2007, 04:27 AM
^^ Yeah that works too but I was thinking more along the lines of that article. But apparently, everyone goes haywire and says its bullshit and you should plug all your precious eletronics into a 100 dollar power surge protector.

graf1k
01-04-2007, 04:48 AM
I'm on my fourth system right now.

The first time it froze up while playing DOA4 and then continued to lock up, sometimes even at the title screen. That was about 2-3 months after I had bought my system. The next time was about 1 month after that. One of the 2K sports games kept freezing on me and I bitch and then took the system back. Not sure anymore if it was just the game that time or what. The next time happened about 7-8 months later and it just froze up while I was playing TDU and the screen looked a lot like it did when it froze up on DOA4. After trying a couple different games and taking the hard drive off, I started to get the red ring of death. They were kind of dicks about replacing it this time because it was the third time they were replacing my system but I had bought the 2 year extended warranty after my original 360 failed so there wasn't much they could say or do. The first 2 times I sent my hard drive in but the third time I refused. Sure I have a memory card now, but I'd have to re-download all my arcade games AND I'd lose my save data for DOA4 for the second fucking time. Anyway, yeah, thats it. Each time it took about 10 days to 2 weeks after I sent it off to get my new system back. I am definitely happy though that I bought the 2 year warranty. Even though so far I wouldn't have had to pay to get my system fixed or would have gotten reimbursed if I did, it was still worth the $50 for the peace of mind. If they don't have all the kinks worked out at the end of 2 years though, I'd probably be as pissed about my system crashing as Webb is now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/skyypirate/Picture011-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/skyypirate/234234234234054.jpg

EDIT: Those are pictures of what the screen looked like when it froze up the first time (Top, DOA4) and later, the eventual red ring of death (Bottom, TDU).

thieflordgamer
01-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Graff1k that's exactly what my system's doing right now... I just called and they said no question it would be a free repair...

KilluhKam
01-04-2007, 06:48 AM
I got my 360 on launch date. No problems until June '06, it gave me the 3 red lights. I had to pay 130$ US for the repair. They sent me a "working" 360 which didn't work from the first minute. Then I sent that back and got my 3rd 360 which has just gone out tonight. It gave me 3 red lights, and I called but luckily they decided to repair for free since I just got this one not too long ago. I'm pretty pissed about my Xbox Live membership, game rentals, and time in the gamerscore league running out as they take their time sending me a new 360.

And they ship the 360's in a cardboard box, barely the size of the 360. There is no padding at all to speak of. This seems pretty retarded to me. I will be on my 4th 360 once I get it in 2 weeks.

thats odd...my launch console also went out in june!

i was playing table tennis, i herd a odd popping noise then bam! the tv went out, (system still on.) luckily i was able to save the game and find out what was wrong. At first, i thought it was the tv. i turned off my 360 and tryed to turn it back on, when it was loading it froze (did that about 2 times) then i got the 3 red light. I waited a while and the same damn thing happened. It did that about 3-4 times before it finally gave me the 3 red lights of doom :( i ended up calling MS, they said it would cost $130 to repair so i decided not to repair it (bought a new one a couple weeks after.) after a couple of month when i was over at Gamestop, the manager said that MS was fixing launch consoles for free since 99% of them went out on people so i decided to call back and got it fixed for free :woop:

And now, the new one we bought, has disc trey problems. Everytime i close it, i have to push the button to open it then push it back in with my finger for it to fully open, unless a disc is in there then it works just fine. And i think the face plate is screwed up because the light around the power button always flashes between controller port 1 and 2 when i play games (and it distracts me -_-) im thinking about getting it fixed soon, espically since all consoles purchased last yr are fixed for free (and i also have a 2 year warranty on it ^_^)

EDIT: my launch console was doing what the bottom pic shows (looked like a checkered board) when it would load up then it would freeze....)

ArtificialDemon
01-04-2007, 06:54 AM
My 360 froze on when I was playing DOA4 it froze right when I was playing with my friend and 1/2 of the screen was frozen, the other half was stable. The left side was frozen, the right wasn't. When I turned it off and on It went away, but my DOA4 broke. I took it to GameStop and they said, "Call MicroSoft," and I did and got a non-Eglish speaking person so I gave up.

P1NSEEKER
01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
I got the three red lights of doom in august and a chequred (sp) screen much like graf1ks second pic.

I called microsoft on saturday and they emailed me a delivery label with a ups phone number on it so i called ups and arranged a pick up on monday. (btw i was told to box it up but not in the original box and i was to keep my hdd)

Monday came and it was collected. And on friday i recieved a delivery of a brand new console :D

Crash
01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I bought my 360 in mid Dec '05 (11-30-05 system date) and got the ring of death in late Oct '06. I sent it to MS repais center and got a "new" one back about 11 days later (12-20-05 date). It made it about a month and started to have problems reading discs. I will put a game in and it will go to a white screen saying something like "please insert this disc into an Xbox 360 console". Sometimes I can open the tray and shut it again and it will be fine, other times it takes 10 or more tries, and is the same with every game. If I start the system with a game in it, it will say Play Dvd at the bottom instead of Play Game :confused: . I can tell when it isn't going to work because I will put the game in and you can barely hear the disc spin, and when it decides to work it spins the disc fast. So far it hasn't gotten worse, so I haven't sent it back yet.

Once the MLG tourney is over this month, I will be making a call to MS and complaining.

Kaens
01-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Eh, so maybe I'm going to look like the ass here, but my experience has been great.

I bought my first US 360 on launch day after 12 hour wait in line. I have had it on (through a surge protector) for over 36 hours straight many many times with no problems. I have seen red lights on my ring a few times, which scared the crap out of me, but resetting the video cable fixed it each time.

I don't recall exactly when I purchased my Jap 360 from ebay, from my EM achievements it looks like late June, but I've never once had a problem with it either. I've put in probably 12-16 hour sessions at the most on that one.

I just bought my son a 360 for Christmas, but I certainly wouldn't have expected that to have any problems after only a week. I only threw it out there to be complete.

PerpetualHeaven
01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Not everyone is lucky like you Kaens :P
That 3 weeks killed me anyways when I was gone. The day before the Gamerscore league my 360 broke down. waht are the chances?!

thieflordgamer
01-05-2007, 03:07 AM
Not everyone is lucky like you Kaens :P
That 3 weeks killed me anyways when I was gone. The day before the Gamerscore league my 360 broke down. waht are the chances?!

Same thing happened to me right before season 1, now this one broke in season 2 :D.

duffy 91
01-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Um, I had horrible experiences with 360s

Basically I had 4 360s. The 1st one broke after 2 months, They sent out me a new console with a defected HDD!! they out sent me out a new HDD, eventually that console broke. The 3rd one I won as a prize for winning the xbox cup FIFA competition so I gave that one to my bro and then I got a new one for 2nd one that broke

and here I am today:)

Subject_Me
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
i got mine around nov' 05 and all was going well until a few weeks ago when suddenly my disks started messing up, so i phoned them up and explained to them, but they said i HAD to have been moving the console (not a chance), so i carried on anyway playing games then the 3 red lights came on, phoned them up and they replaced it, its not been long since ive had it back but the console is cool when i play it :eek: , the old one was hot constantly.

also my arcade games didnt work when i got it back, so they refunded my microsoft points. and my mic didnt work so i bought a new one and that didnt work, phoned them up again and there going to send me a new controller.