PDA

View Full Version : Delisted Games, and Shutting Down of servers

flyingmario5404
06-19-2009, 05:01 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Last summer when EA was shutting down the Def Jam Icon Servers, there was a news bulletin about it on the front page. Now it seems like nobody at x360a cares about achievements and giving people the proper time to obtain them.

First Yaris was delisted (I already had the game so I did't get screwed), and others lost out of the opportunity to get the achievements. Then THQ shut down the servers of Smackdown 2007 (Again I got the achievements beforehand) but yet no news. And now recently Lost Cities was delisted (Again I had the game beforehand). It would just seem like if the news was out there could there be a quick little news story about this, so others dont' get screwed and have the opportunity to get the game or achievements.

Since this hasn't yet affected, I would hate to have it actually happen. I love achievements, and use this site everyday. I would like to see just a little more news about this issue. Thanks

SengIV
06-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Tell me about it. Apparently the NHL 2k7 servers are also closed. This sucks. They shouldnt close down the servers and they should warn us also.

Cyrex
06-19-2009, 08:02 PM
ya i had 960 in NBA live 06 and then they shut them down and i was jipped

kaleido42
06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
RIOT!!! Now that I have gotten that out. I've been curious for quite a while about this. Other than the expense. Would it work (technical wise) for a company to purchase these servers and the rights to use them so that people could keep playing these games? If that works would it be possible to change the games a bit so that a special username and password would be required to log in? If that all worked out it would be an interesting thing for a site like this to look into. Of course it would require major expanding but it could really help bring in new members and keep the ones that they already have. In addition they could keep this service limited to subscribers so that they could bring in enough revenue to try to keep it somewhat going. Even if it would be to expensive to have all servers up at once maybe just a couple a for a couple of weeks and then switch it up. Like I said it could really help the site. In the end I don't see this happening but it sure would be a neat thing to think about.

SengIV
06-20-2009, 03:27 PM
RIOT!!! Now that I have gotten that out. I've been curious for quite a while about this. Other than the expense. Would it work (technical wise) for a company to purchase these servers and the rights to use them so that people could keep playing these games? If that works would it be possible to change the games a bit so that a special username and password would be required to log in? If that all worked out it would be an interesting thing for a site like this to look into. Of course it would require major expanding but it could really help bring in new members and keep the ones that they already have. In addition they could keep this service limited to subscribers so that they could bring in enough revenue to try to keep it somewhat going. Even if it would be to expensive to have all servers up at once maybe just a couple a for a couple of weeks and then switch it up. Like I said it could really help the site. In the end I don't see this happening but it sure would be a neat thing to think about.

This is a great idea but it wont happen. I dont think someone as stubborn as EA would ever sell their servers.

Glowin Smurff
06-20-2009, 06:24 PM
these would really be things to take up w/ Microsoft and/or EA, don't forget Double Dragon was also delisted, but it's not like MS or EA really does a good job announcing that the servers are closing or that a game is getting delisted.....but in NHL 2k7, it is posted in the forum here that the servers are closed for that and every other 2k7 game.

the totals are adjusted and posted in the thread "Unachievable Achievements" or something like that, in the "GAME" section, it also lists the delisted games....but again this seems more or less MS's problem as they should announce via dashboard maybe if something is being taken away or shut down, it would provide a possible spike in sales of those things (IE delisted items)...

as for this site ever buying the EA servers, or anyone for that matter, that's not likely, and kind of a bit dumb as it would be a total revenue hit......MS should be picking up the old servers and/or making every game use their central servers.

dillon
06-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, at least they didnt close the Def Jam servers, but 2k, and EA are two terrible franchises, freaking NBA 2k7, NHL 2k7, NHL 2k8, , NBA 2k8, MLB 2k7, MLB 2k8, you cant even get the 1000. And EA stopped the seasons on FIFA 09, so you cant get the 1250 in that. They could of waited till FIFA 10 was out. I completley agree that we need to have an announcement if we know that a server is going to get shut down.

kaleido42
06-21-2009, 01:12 AM
as for this site ever buying the EA servers, or anyone for that matter, that's not likely, and kind of a bit dumb as it would be a total revenue hit......MS should be picking up the old servers and/or making every game use their central servers.

I know its not going to happen but it would be awesome. I 100% agree with you that everyone should be using MS's servers.

Cissnei
06-21-2009, 03:23 PM
It would be okay for me if they shut down their servers but make a patch that gives you the non attainable multiplayer achievements if you try to go online. But that will never happen I guess, to many whiners would be like "wahhh I did it the way it was supposed wahhhh*cry*" and so on. But I would definetly help.

The Pants Party
06-21-2009, 06:05 PM
If someone lets us know about the closing, we'd be happy to post it as news on the site. We can't let other people know about something that we don't know about ourselves. These companies rarely make it very public that they'll be closing servers, because they know it will upset people.

flyingmario5404
06-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Awesome Pants party, yeah I'm not upset if the news isn't out there. I just got annoyed that certain games are being shut down and I thought some news was posted somewhere. if I see more things like this I would gladly pm you and let you know.

Keep up the good work here.

JJBDude
06-30-2009, 10:44 PM
I too like the rest of you get angered at servers shutting down. I wouldn't be bothered if there wasn't achievements involved but it's a right nuisance for all of us here on x360a.

I have heard the Overlord servers are going to be shut down soon, I'm going to rent that ASAP so I can get the achievements before they become unachieveable.

Creech
06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
I too like the rest of you get angered at servers shutting down. I wouldn't be bothered if there wasn't achievements involved but it's a right nuisance for all of us here on x360a.

I have heard the Overlord servers are going to be shut down soon, I'm going to rent that ASAP so I can get the achievements before they become unachieveable.

On the Xbox 360, Overlord uses MS servers, so you are fine. It is the PC and PS3 servers that are going down for Overlord.

kaleido42
06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
On the Xbox 360, Overlord uses MS servers, so you are fine. It is the PC and PS3 servers that are going down for Overlord.

Is there any particular way to know which games use the MS servers? Preferably without buying it.