PDA

View Full Version : Getting LIVE... Any tips?

Kairi
06-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I am getting LIVE tomorrow (buying router and super long Ethernet cable), but I have a few questions. Advice is also welcome :)

Is anything else needed to get on to it?

Do I need to buy anything that will give me more access to LIVE?

Will I have to change my Gamertag?

That's all of my questions for now unless I can think of any others.
Thanks in advance!

Madmax410
06-19-2009, 07:24 PM
I think you have everything you need.

For your gamertag, it really depends on whether or not its taken yet. You might have to change it. I dunno how it works when your name is already taken.

Obviously, you need to buy a subscription to XBL. Other than that, not really. If you wanna get some DLC off the marketplace you may want to buy a few MS points.

Cacky
06-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Once you join Xbox Live, you'll recieve 1 month free Xbox Live Gold, after that you'll have to pay if you want to contnue being a gold member.

Kairi
06-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Once you join Xbox Live, you'll recieve 1 month free Xbox Live Gold, after that you'll have to pay if you want to contnue being a gold member.
Okay. What is the difference of being a Gold member and being a normal member?

KostinKid
06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Okay. What is the difference of being a Gold member and being a normal member?
With gold you can play online chat with up to 7 people get free demos.Normal(silver)you can't really do anything.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/joinlive.htm then go to the bottom.

Coadster1
06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
1. No, I think you're set. :)
2. Well, after the one month gold trial is up, you'll have to buy gold for 1 month, 6 months, or 12 months, unless you want to stay with silver, not letting you play online, download stuff (I believe) and I don't think you can have parties either, and have a whole lot of disavatages than to a gold member.
3. You will only have to change your gamertag if your gamertag is already taken by another LIVE member, but I didn't have to change mine when I got LIVE, but I've had friends that of had to. So you never know.

jamieCR7
06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
You'll love your xbox so much more with live, when I didn't have live I barely played my xbox. You will need a microphone if you don't already have one, well you don't need but I strongly recommend!

Galrick
06-19-2009, 09:31 PM
My two cents:

1) Get some thick skin, because some people online are real douchebags.
2) Have fun.

sweatdog
06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
You said that you're getting an extra long ethernet cable. Have you considered going wireless?

Rowey 94
06-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Maybe You Could Buy A Redbull :)
Most People Enjoy To Snack/Drink Whilst Gaming

Gariom
06-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Once the month of gold runs out I suggest buying a 12+1 month card. You basically get a month free for the same price as if you had used your credit card.

Gackt
06-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Definitely get gold membership, Silver accounts cant play multiplayer games over live and you wont have access to nearly as much content with a silver membership.

monkeyhappy
06-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Said somewhere on my 360 today that it is only a 1 a month for Gold now! I don't know how many dollars that is. When did this happen? It's a joke though, when you've paid 20 odd for 12 months.

Pure Efficiency
06-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Be sure to add some quality people to your friends list that you think you'll enjoy playing with. If someone is trash talking you all you have to do is mute them, problem solved.
Enjoy Live!

kaleido42
06-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Will I have to change my Gamertag?

http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php

Type it in there. Then you'll know for sure that it is taken. That way you can start thinking about a new gamertag before you actually get LIVE if you have to.

You will need a microphone if you don't already have one, well you don't need but I strongly recommend!

:whs. Trust me, you'll make way more friends on LIVE with a mic and people won't get mad at you as much when you actually get a chance to say sorry.

Once the month of gold runs out I suggest buying a 12+1 month card. You basically get a month free for the same price as if you had used your credit card.

What I would suggest is looking for good deals on gold bundles. I got a 12 month bundle on sale for the same price as a 12 month card. Best deal I ever got.

GhOsT SLaYeR
06-19-2009, 11:11 PM
when you make your account please do not have more than 3 numbers in your tag, it screams unoriginal

kaleido42
06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
when you make your account please do not have more than 3 numbers in your tag, it screams unoriginal

Is mine good enough (it actually has a meaning if you can figure it out;)).

Pretty well what he said though, keep it at least somewhat original.

Gariom
06-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Is mine good enough (it actually has a meaning if you can figure it out;)).

Pretty well what he said though, keep it at least somewhat original.

Hmm, 42? Is that perhaps a reference to Douglas Adam's book: The Meaning of Life, The Universe, And Everything?

kaleido42
06-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Hmm, 42? Is that perhaps a reference to Douglas Adam's book: The Meaning of Life, The Universe, And Everything?

Didn't know that there was a whole book entitled that. But yes, close enough. Pretty well hitchhiker's in general.

Kairi
06-20-2009, 02:24 AM
You said that you're getting an extra long ethernet cable. Have you considered going wireless?
Yeah, but the cable is much cheaper for me. I need to get a 50 footer, and I have also had wireless problems in the past with my Wii from that distance. Wireless adapter is $100, the cable is half.

and my gamertag is unique as of right now. Yay!

bapae
06-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Once you join Xbox Live, you'll recieve 1 month free Xbox Live Gold, after that you'll have to pay if you want to contnue being a gold member. Not totally my friend had to make 4 different accounts on his xbox before it gave him a free month when he got his xbox. so it might give him one might not. (PS make the gamertag on your xbox if you do not you wont get live for sure)

Kairi
06-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Not totally my friend had to make 4 different accounts on his xbox before it gave him a free month when he got his xbox. so it might give him one might not. (PS make the gamertag on your xbox if you do not you wont get live for sure)
Oh, okay. I cnan always buy a LIVe card if nessicary (sp?)
And I'm not a guy by the way XD

bapae
06-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Oh, okay. I cnan always buy a LIVe card if nessicary (sp?)
And I'm not a guy by the way XD

never said your were a guy i was talking about my friend lmfao.

gamerguy69
06-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Yeah, but the cable is much cheaper for me. I need to get a 50 footer, and I have also had wireless problems in the past with my Wii from that distance. Wireless adapter is $100, the cable is half.

Sucks if you you need to buy a $50 ethernet cable. :confused:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

bapae
06-20-2009, 06:14 AM

My friend has problems with his wireless thing after long play times. he seems to get laggy after long times and sometimes its just random. never had problems with my 50 foot cable.

An Amish Woman
06-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Wireless hookup for live is crap. Its even more laggy than with a CAT5 cable. Also look of Amazon for a 12 month live card, you can usually get a good cheap deal on that. Welcome to the family!

Revolver
06-20-2009, 06:45 AM
In terms of hardware I'd recommend a chatpad and a mic (preferably the wireless one).:drunk

J0shUK
06-20-2009, 06:51 AM
In terms of hardware I'd recommend a chatpad and a mic (preferably the wireless one).:drunk

Ah you don't need a chatpad, waste of money. Just plug in a wired or wireless keyboard into your Xbox, works a treat, and I find them much easier to use!

Also I don't know if it has been said, but you need to make sure you have one of the most important things.... some great online games :D

Kairi
06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Okay! I have a mic from when I got my 360 so that should work fine

and I just bought the router and the cable. I should be up by the end of the day :)

ghostndshell
06-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Personally i prefer wired because you get a better connection it even says it in some the instruction manuals in game's.
So yeah go with the hard wired to get the best out of your connection and try the 1 month if you like then buy a years sub card from a shop! (I wouldn't recommend using a debit/credit card they have a tendency to charge you again on the same card without notifying you!).
And most likely you will probably need to change your tag. well good luck and i hope you enjoy it. :)

EDIT: Oh and by the way if your pc/laptop is not setup for internet connection sharing and you are using the connection on both remember to reset your modem before using it on your xbox, otherwise it will not connect properly!(also remember to do the same if you need to get back on your pc/laptop!). Hope that helps. :)

progman32
06-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Personally i prefer wired because you get a better connection it even says it it some the instruction manuals in game.
So yeah go with the hard wired to get the best out of your connection

Yeah, wired definitely gives better results, especially in online multiplayer games.

Kairi
06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm set up, but the damn thing set my GS to 0. Any way to fix that?

J0shUK
06-21-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm set up, but the damn thing set my GS to 0. Any way to fix that?

I used to think then when you set it up, you could change the name of you non-Live account and keep the existing gamerscore, but my friend also set up an account today and lost a few thousand points because he was unable to find a way to transfer them. I don't think it is possible :(

Kairi
06-21-2009, 02:00 AM
I used to think then when you set it up, you could change the name of you non-Live account and keep the existing gamerscore, but my friend also set up an account today and lost a few thousand points because he was unable to find a way to transfer them. I don't think it is possible :(
Okay, I had a very low GS so it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks!