PDA

View Full Version : Make Subsciber-Only Tournaments Read-Only

Cheezbrgr
06-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Before I was a subscriber, I thought the only benefit of being a subscriber was a green name (blah blah, I didnt read the advantages sticky... a lot of people don't)....

And now that I've subscribed, I can say the coolest part about subscriptions is the tournament and exclusive forum, so my suggestion is:

Make the tournaments forum Read-Only for non-subscribers so they can see what is on offer. If, for example, a person is really fond of R6V2 then they can subscribe for a month with the sole purpose of entering the tournament.

I just think this would increase subscribtions

-Cheezbrgr

Genesis x360a
06-20-2009, 10:28 AM
They already are - They only Forum non-subs cant see is the Subscriber forum, Everybody has access to the Tournament forum.

dakisbac
06-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Becoming a subscriber is supposed to give you additional privileges, not to take away from the non-subscribers.

Plus, it makes sense to me to keep the tournament forum postable to everyone. As you yourself said, some people (myself included) will subscribe if they do a particular game as a tournament. If you don't let us post, we can't recommend the game that we would subscribe for to play

PMILL69
06-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I dont really understand what you mean

KNUCKS x360a
06-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Before I was a subscriber, I thought the only benefit of being a subscriber was a green name (blah blah, I didnt read the advantages sticky... a lot of people don't)....

And now that I've subscribed, I can say the coolest part about subscriptions is the tournament and exclusive forum, so my suggestion is:

Make the tournaments forum Read-Only for non-subscribers so they can see what is on offer. If, for example, a person is really fond of R6V2 then they can subscribe for a month with the sole purpose of entering the tournament.

-Cheezbrgr

I know what you're saying, but there are more Tournaments than just the Subscribers one happening sometimes, & like xodakok said, we cant really "take" standard member privileges away!

I think more people would join the way it is, when they see the Tourney in a public forum - but its exclusively for Subs... it encourages you to Subscribe & find out whats going on!

Da CRU Mughhh
06-20-2009, 03:47 PM
As I said earlier And Creech gave me a proper response I think it would help tons, if Someone with the ability could post the subscriber tourney on the front page in advance! I mean We probably what over 50 subscribers (that is a guess i could be way off) And yet only 10 sign up and we are lucky if 7 of them play! Personally I think alot of people don't know about it cause i know alot of people don't read the subscriber forums! So To put it on the Front page/Main page i think it would promote more and possibley more people would subscribe and or the subscribers would play! I mean that is just an Idea though!

JC
06-20-2009, 04:26 PM
I think this is a very reasonable and plausible idea, Cru. :)

Would be great to see more subscribers and big tournaments.

There are around 94 subscribers at the moment, looking at the award page.

dakisbac
06-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Only 10 sign up and 7 play? I should subscribe just to rake in some awards :D

Cheezbrgr
06-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Only 10 sign up and 7 play? I should subscribe just to rake in some awards :D

Thats what happened with the last tournament. Anyway, i dont think allowing non subs to give game suggestions would work bdcause then it takes away from the subs choice.

@cru and JC i think something like a front page announcement with a link to the post and a link to subscribe would work pretty well... And i can't see any bad sielde if it doesnt

Da CRU Mughhh
06-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Well shit im glad a couple people think its a good idea! hopefully the mod/admins think so too!

PMILL69
06-21-2009, 06:02 AM
I'm against it is going to play a tournament with 7 people out of 10 I'm going to do better that's how the rainbow 6 vegas 2 tourney was like and i came in 2nd place. The less competition the better I think.

The Pants Party
06-21-2009, 06:06 PM
CRU! Tell Creech to give me a head-up on when the subscriber tourneys are going to go down and I'll get it up on the main news feed (where the new games postings and giveaways are). :)

Da CRU Mughhh
06-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Awesome Thanks a Ton Pants! Hopefully that will help out a bit!

PlugInBaby
06-21-2009, 08:39 PM

-Cheezbrgr

I understand what your saying and think its a good idea, but not everyone can afford to subscribe for a prolonged period of time, so instead of subscribing for a month they could just make a set donation to the site in order to particpate in the tournament.

I plan to start particpating in the tournaments soon, the problem being I havent had alot of free time lately, and would be good to get to know a few of the other subscribers!

Deleted2014-12-02
06-21-2009, 09:32 PM
I understand what your saying and think its a good idea, but not everyone can afford to subscribe for a prolonged period of time, so instead of subscribing for a month they could just make a set donation to the site in order to particpate in the tournament.

I plan to start particpating in the tournaments soon, the problem being I havent had alot of free time lately, and would be good to get to know a few of the other subscribers!

With that idea, you've turned "Subscriber Tournaments" into "Pay-to-play Tournaments."

PlugInBaby
06-21-2009, 10:14 PM
With that idea, you've turned "Subscriber Tournaments" into "Pay-to-play Tournaments."

True, but if people are only wanting to subscribe in order to play in a tournament as a one off as suggested, whats the difference? Money is still going to the site.

Cheezbrgr
06-22-2009, 05:49 AM
True, but if people are only wanting to subscribe in order to play in a tournament as a one off as suggested, whats the difference? Money is still going to the site.

It's kind of an exclusive offer of being a subscriber instead of pay-to-play. There is a difference, even if small :P

PlugInBaby
06-22-2009, 09:42 AM

-Cheezbrgr

I understand what you are saying, but I talking about the point you yourself made earlier, not everyone can afford to subscribe long term, and what is the difference in subscribing for a single month and a one off donation?

KFZ Scrubs
06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Well then, i'm glad to say that i'm finally going to be a subscriber here at the website. After about a year, i finally have a pay pal to subscribe.
So, in about a few hours.... i'm finally gonna be one of you guys!

dakisbac
06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I understand what you are saying, but I talking about the point you yourself made earlier, not everyone can afford to subscribe long term, and what is the difference in subscribing for a single month and a one off donation?

I can tell you the difference right now, and I'm not even a subscriber. You guys have a forum hidden from everyone else, you can get your name changed, you have your name highlighted in green, you can have a title underneath your name, and you can participate in tourneys. People that donate don't get all these features.

Oh wait... in terms of supporting the site there's no difference, which is probably why subscribing also nets you the donor award.

The reason why one gives you features is so that you'll continually donate (subscribe) instead of it being a one time thing. While it may be cool to have some of those features available to myself, I'd probably subscribe just to see what I'm missing and then go back to normal.

Da CRU Mughhh
06-22-2009, 11:13 PM
I can tell you the difference right now, and I'm not even a subscriber. You guys have a forum hidden from everyone else, you can get your name changed, you have your name highlighted in green, you can have a title underneath your name, and you can participate in tourneys. People that donate don't get all these features.

Oh wait... in terms of supporting the site there's no difference, which is probably why subscribing also nets you the donor award.

The reason why one gives you features is so that you'll continually donate (subscribe) instead of it being a one time thing. While it may be cool to have some of those features available to myself, I'd probably subscribe just to see what I'm missing and then go back to normal.

Hmmmmm We can get our named changed yes we can but its not like the Admins are going to be changing it once a week or Once a month for us! It's just a nice perk if you ever want to change it!

I mean we are constantly giving to the site every month!! Why not have some perk! The 25$ a month i give to the site I could be using to buy a new video game but instead I don't get greedy and I like to suport the site that has helped me out sooooo much in so many ways!! Infact If i didn't get any of these perk I'd still subscribe just as much as i do now!

Some people I'm sure donate $1 just to get the donate badge! We choose to continuely give every month! So I see a difference I'm not sure what you see since you said 'you see no difference' $1 once in your life or 5$-25$ a month for months!

You said "I'd probably subscribe just to see what I'm missing and then go back to normal." That is The wrong reason to subscribe to the site, How about you subscribe cause you want to and support the site, not just cause your curious!

Pashos
06-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Becoming a subscriber is supposed to give you additional privileges, not to take away from the non-subscribers.

Plus, it makes sense to me to keep the tournament forum postable to everyone. As you yourself said, some people (myself included) will subscribe if they do a particular game as a tournament. If you don't let us post, we can't recommend the game that we would subscribe for to play

We don't allow non-subscribers to suggest games as it is. All of that is done in the forum that only subscribers can see. Once everything is finalized, Creech makes a thread in the tournaments forum.

I'm against it is going to play a tournament with 7 people out of 10 I'm going to do better that's how the rainbow 6 vegas 2 tourney was like and i came in 2nd place. The less competition the better I think.

I think the point of the subscriber tournaments is as much about meeting the other subscribers and having a good time with them as it is about the competition.

dakisbac
06-23-2009, 03:15 AM
You said "I'd probably subscribe just to see what I'm missing and then go back to normal." That is The wrong reason to subscribe to the site, How about you subscribe cause you want to and support the site, not just cause your curious!

There is no wrong reason for choosing to give to the site, and I'll do what I want with my money thanks. I'd rather donate lump sums every now and then instead of $10/month, but maybe that's just me. Either way I'd be supporting the site so I don't know why you have an issue, I'm sure the owners don't.

We don't allow non-subscribers to suggest games as it is. All of that is done in the forum that only subscribers can see. Once everything is finalized, Creech makes a thread in the tournaments forum.

Well if that's the case then I guess the tournament forum should be read-only for everyone. If you're picking the game on the subscribers-only forum I suppose you could all sign up there too.

Cheezbrgr
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM

If they cant afford it? Too bad. The site would I suppose rather have people paying per month than a flat cost (more money!)