PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Screen Burn due to Game Marathons

graemelunn
01-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Many of us have or may shortly be planning to purchase Flat panel HDTV's to complement our little gaming nirvana.
The problem is that many of us may end up with screen burn or Residual Image Effect. This will not be rectified courtesy of our manufacturers warranty or any extra agreement we take from our retailers.

I unfortunately developed screenburn after a 16 1/2 hour Football Manager 07 marathon.

I bought a dvd from www.pixelprotector.com (http://www.pixelprotector.com) for about 25 and all traces of it are gone. It also did the trick with my bbc channel logo which was slightly visible in the corner of my screen too.

Just thought I'd post this as I am sure I'm not the only one who's had this issue.
Oh and mods, they have an affiliates program too :p

ArtificialDemon
01-05-2007, 06:19 AM
That's why you don't buy plasma TVs, not that you did. But I heard that when you play 360 on them, the visual can burn into the TV forever, which sucks.

CC99999
01-05-2007, 06:33 AM
I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma that I play on. There is a video game setting which dampens the image enough to avoid most burn in- however, it doesn't get it all.

It's frustrating that this current generation of video games is catering to high end videophiles with expensive tvs. I wonder if there is any negligence on the part of the manufacturers of the console for burn in.

ArtificialDemon
01-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Not that I know of.

graemelunn
01-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Unfortunately, all the manufacturers have to do is warn you about static images and not to leave them displayed on your panel at the risk of burn-in. The TV's are allegedly more prone to screen burn during their first few hundred hours of use as the phosphor/pixels are more "exciteable".
Have had my Pioneer PDP-436XDE for just over a year now and I agree that Pioneers have a "GAME" mode which drastically darkens the picture, however, as you state this only elps slightly - plus my TV has even started detecting the slightest static image (i.e. the gameclock in Blitz or speedometer in N4SMW) and left me with numerous cases of Residual Image Effect. I noticed a difference after the first one but hopefully after this 2 hour white wash I'm currently doing on my panel, all will be peachy. :woop:

Skillet
01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
DLPs and LCD HDTVs are the most resistant to burn in.

Some of the newer analog/standard/tube tvs are also highly resistant. I'm currently using a crappy 24 inch analog and to add insult to injury, I have to run it through a vcr because the tv's AVs are broken. Which really sucks.

Hopefully I'll get an LCD soon. Until then, I have to go to my friend's house to play games really quick and check the true graphics of my games for my reviews.

ScottEvil30
01-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I fell asleep while watching the simpsons dvd last night. woke up to discover my plasma has been sitting on the menu for 5 hours. can't bring myself to turn it back on and see whats what.

Kaens
01-05-2007, 04:10 PM
DLPs and LCD HDTVs are the most resistant to burn in.
Nothing is more resistant than my projector! ;) Granted I have to replace the bulb every 6 months.

Cyrex
01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
im actually looking at buying a TV for my basement, an "gameroom", my 18 year old trinitron is finally starting to die. neither of the speakers work so i have it hooked up to the stero system, but i was looking at a 29" samsung LCD HDTV........ anyone know if this will burn in very quickly slowly or not at all..... i tipically don have stints of more than 2-3 hr's

PerpetualHeaven
01-06-2007, 03:10 AM
That's why you don't buy plasma TVs, not that you did. But I heard that when you play 360 on them, the visual can burn into the TV forever, which sucks.

If you buy a mediocre plasma (which most are and the expensive ones are well.. a tad to expensive) that can generally happen.

Also, CNET recommends that when you first buy your plasma tv to turn down the brightness of the TV while doing long-term things so that when you turn it back up it'll prevent all burn-ins. That's a tip I saw on CNET so I thought i'd share it.

PerpetualHeaven
01-06-2007, 03:12 AM
im actually looking at buying a TV for my basement, an "gameroom", my 18 year old trinitron is finally starting to die. neither of the speakers work so i have it hooked up to the stero system, but i was looking at a 29" samsung LCD HDTV........ anyone know if this will burn in very quickly slowly or not at all..... i tipically don have stints of more than 2-3 hr's

LCDs don't burn in. They lose pixels but that rarely happens if you take care of your equipment.