PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Timeline for unlockable achievements

Kakansho
06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
The title certainly does not do justice to the idea, so please read on :p

Many games I have rented and have simply missed out on potentially easy achievements, as I have not realised they have been unlockable when they were.

For example: Some achievements may be unlocked for completing certain levels, unlocking certain skills, etc. However there are plenty of games who have achievements unlockable from the get-go, as well as throughout the game.

I had the idea of a 'timeline' that could accompany the Road Guide, which indicates to players the sequences in which achievements are unlocked. It could run as follows:

Achievement [1] - Unlockable from game start
Achievement [2] - Unlocked after completion of level x
Achievement [10] - Unlocked after completing game

Just to give players an idea of the fastest achievements they can get, rather than having them scour the list and decide which they could try to attempt.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks.

dakisbac
06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
I see what you're saying. Open world games like Saints Row would have almost all labelled as "available from start" where a game that plays through linearly like Gears would have "available from start", "available after act 1" etc.

The thing is though is that there is no standard for all games (even if we were to separate them based on my above examples). The only appropriate wording for all games are "available from start", "available halfway through game" etc. Except, for the purposes of an achievement guide even that's bno use, since it doesn't indicate how long the game takes to complete.

The Pants Party
06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
If a road map is written correctly, all that information should be in there. The map should mention "Go for XXX achievement in Chapter 6" or "Do YYY achievement before the end of Chapter 3 or you'll need a new game to get it."