PDA

View Full Version : Who quoted me?

KingSlitherOne
06-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi,

I would like to post one thing I've thought about during my months here on x360a;

It's about the quote-system. On another forum I use (non Xbox-related) we installed a system called "Who quoted me" which turned out to be very useful.

We placed it under the quick links category and once entered it you could see the last 50 forum users that had been quoting you.

I would like to add some print screens but I'm not on my original computer, however if this sounds like a good idea I'll add the prints first thing tomorrow.

I know there's another category under the quick links called "Today's posts" but wouldn't the "Who quoted me?"-system be better? But like I said this is still just a thought but I would be fun to see what you guys think of it.

(I hope this is the right place to post this kind of threads)

Thanks,

BarbaricGoose
06-29-2009, 12:15 AM
This sounds like an interesting idea.

Although, I don't really see the point. Just for the hell of it? :)

phate89 0
06-29-2009, 12:37 AM
the problem with a 'today's post' section would be that on here, you list would be 40 pages long (40 being a random number and not fact) but it would be long anyway!

but i like the sound of the quote one...

KingSlitherOne
06-29-2009, 12:52 AM
This sounds like an interesting idea.

Although, I don't really see the point. Just for the hell of it? :)
It's a good way to keep track of the answers you receive around the forums. I really think it would help, especially when people want to boost and post in the achievement trading-threads.
the problem with a 'today's post' section would be that on here, you list would be 40 pages long (40 being a random number and not fact) but it would be long anyway!

but i like the sound of the quote one...
As it stands now, there's a "Today's posts"-section but my suggestion is to add the "Who quoted me?"-system (sorry if I confused you, I've edited my post).

rvlution
06-30-2009, 05:46 PM
I like the "Who Quoted Me?" idea. It would make it easier to find people answering your questions, or just to see who's following you.

jamieCR7
06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Good idea I think, I would like to know who has been quoting me.

nolan182blink
07-01-2009, 08:22 AM
I went to this section just to post a topic about this, but then I saw there was already one. Haha!

Telexen
07-01-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't think it's possible with how vBulletin handles quotes.

It's nothing more than text...just because they add a link to go to the post doesn't mean much.

See my faked example:

I hate babies.

you could google your nick...with site:x360a.org

[Waggly Bean]
07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
To be fair, it's easy enough to just go to your subscribed threads, so it'd be kind of pointless really.

Not that I don't like the idea, because I think it would be interesting. I do think it probably appeals to one's vanity though rather than being of actual use.

"Ooh how many people have quoted me today? 15? Ooh I'm so popular! :D"

rvlution
07-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Not gonna lie, I would just like to know how many people appreciate my comments haha.

TikTak
07-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Not gonna lie, I would just like to know how many people appreciate my comments haha.

I quite like this idea. I never really subscribe to threads and always forget where i've posted previously. I think it could be useful!

[Waggly Bean]
07-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I quite like this idea. I never really subscribe to threads and always forget where i've posted previously. I think it could be useful!

You just need to go into your options and set it so that it automatically subscribes to any thread you post in. Then when you log in after a while away, go to Quick Links > Subscribed Threads to check for updates to those threads. ;)

TikTak
07-01-2009, 05:23 PM
;2115024']You just need to go into your options and set it so that it automatically subscribes to any thread you post in. Then when you log in after a while away, go to Quick Links > Subscribed Threads to check for updates to those threads. ;)

Yeah I know. I may be a nub here and made the n0000biest start thread ever :( but I have (believe it or not) been using fairly large forums for years and years. Subscribing to threads is just something I never have used, can never be bothered to do it all.

[/lazy]

twotonkoala
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
You can also search for your message board name in the search box. It won't list the threads you've posted in, only if someone enters your forum name in a post (which typically isn't done unless they are quoting you.)

You can then even bookmark the results, and return to them whenever you like.

SengIV
07-01-2009, 11:49 PM
You can also search for your message board name in the search box. It won't list the threads you've posted in, only if someone enters your forum name in a post (which typically isn't done unless they are quoting you.)

You can then even bookmark the results, and return to them whenever you like.

Hey! Hows it goin!

On Topic: This is cool, but it seems kind of like a space taker.

True I Skill
07-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Good idea, Didnt think of this before
(:
Every time i come on this site i try and find where i last posted, Before i posted about a game, and then a few months later when i saw the thread again Some dude accused me of Owning a pirated copy of the game! And well i had forgot about the post completely so i wasnt there to explain that the game had been released in england long before it was released in america. So it would be a pretty good thing (:
I doubt it will be made tho..