PDA

View Full Version : Just A Simple Suggestion

IncensedCape
06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
In other forums that I frequent, the moderators have disabled the ability to increase (spam :p) your post count when posting in the 'Member Profiles' section. I think that this is an idea that should be introduced on this board, as the same few people repeatedly post the same rubbish for every new person that joins...

Thanks for reading.

kaleido42
06-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I quite agree. I rarely bother posting there because it always seems to be the same people posting the exact same thing, just like they said not to do in that forum.

EDIT: or I suppose that they could start sending out infractions after giving everyone there a warning but taking half an hour to send out all the warnings/infractions compared to the 3 minutes to log into the control panel and click one check box it seems like your idea would be the best option.

Cyrex
06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
or completely get rid of Post count. It will get rid of the Competition to have a lot of posts. It seems that people look at people's post count before their join date. Maybe make post count only viewable to each person and not publicly accessible. It does completely destroy spam because people have no reason to post something stupid. If they want to welcome every person to the forums then let them go for it. It will just make them look stupid.

My dad is a Large member on a forum called TDIclub.com and they got rid of post count about a year and a half ago and it is a very nice site now. There are only a couple of moderators for the entire board (they have about the same amount of active members) but it works for them. I consider it a bad thing when my 50 year old dad is laughing at the site because we still have post count

kaleido42
06-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, but post count can help show who is actually an actively participating member of the site.

AOS Puck
06-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Cyrex: You are basing your argument on the misconception that spammers are only spamming to increase post count. I would hazard a guess that most of these idiots post because they like listening to themselves talk. The Top 5 List forum is a perfect example of that. Posts are disabled in that forum and yet there are over 20K posts. Obviously if there was no post count it would cut down on some of the spammers, but the majority spam because they can. I would rather they actively banned spammers rather than get rid of post count.

Cyrex
07-03-2009, 01:51 AM
well Puck unfortunately half the people there have no idea that post count is disabled. I do know people who were still posting there thinking that it counted after about a year, or instances of it happening

I do know that there are some people who do just listen to themselves talk and looking at the fact that they created a new thread and so forth. So it may not be the best option now but it is there if spamming ever does get out of control

dakisbac
07-03-2009, 03:17 AM
I agree. Not with disabling post count entirely, but on that board yeah. Actually, until now I thought it already was like that since it just makes sense. A list of your posts that all say "welcome to the site" is definitely spam

Ingles
07-03-2009, 04:06 AM
I agree also. I thought I had the correct assumption in thinking that the post didn't count in the Member Profiles thread. If they want to spam "welcome to x360a", let em. It doesn't count. If they start spamming in other threads, I say ban em. :) That's just my take on it though.

dakisbac
07-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Okay good, at least I wasn't the only one that thought it was already like that.

Simzo
07-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Good idea, some people just post a load of shite.

Jiga.Puzzle.5
07-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't like the idea of disabling post counts,it's more or less a trophey to show how active you are on this site.And it still means something to those of us who don't just post random stuff,and actually post meaningful things.

jamieCR7
07-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Once I was looking at "New Posts" and saw a lot of new member profiles coming up, and the same person leaving posts. So to some degree I agree with you, but I think disabling the post count suggestion someone further down the thread from the OP is a bad idea. I think people do take pride in their post count as it is their way of knowing how much they have contributed to the site.

kaleido42
07-04-2009, 01:04 AM
I don't like the idea of disabling post counts,it's more or less a trophey to show how active you are on this site.And it still means something to those of us who don't just post random stuff,and actually post meaningful things.

Are you sure you're not just saying that because you're about to reach 1000 posts:p. Sorry, couldn't help it.

On topic. The big problem is that I don't think that people really put anything meaningful in there. They just post the exact same message over and over. Half the time if the OP puts anything in there about themselves, why they came here, or requesting some help, that just ends up being ignored. What I think that forum needs is just stricter rules and more mods paying attention to it. Other than that I don't see any fixes for the problems over there.

Blue Radium
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree. I've actually thought the exact same thing while reading that board. It's the exact same people to insist on greeting every single person that ever post there. They go on and off, but as I am reading that board I am always thinking those people are cheaply trying to raise their post counts. There is no need to say "welcome to the site," which is in turn followed by a pointed observation to remove the conception of spam such as "I noticed you have the word dragon in your name, do you like games with dragons in them?" to every single person who makes a new thread.

To be fully honest, I could have my most count jump 50 posts in less than an hour, with every post being individual, directed at and created for specific people. It's nice to be hospitable, I'm not arguing that. But if you were to remove post counts on that forum, you would probably see a huge change in the number of "hospitable" people. Who knows, you might see a larger number of posters, as people won't have to fear being thought of as a post count whoring spammer by greeting multiple people. But then again, the people who do post there to raise their post count. You can't say everybody is posting there out of the kindness of their hearts, some people don't care if their post history is made up of decent, helpful posts.

KFZ Scrubs
07-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Yes, but post count can help show who is actually an actively participating member of the site.
Not really, lots of people revive dead threads that are a year old, post only ten characters in a post that doesn't contribute the thread or just post bump for no reason.

IncensedCape
07-23-2009, 05:37 PM
People like this just show that this needs to be implemented

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/search.php?searchid=9813342
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/search.php?searchid=9813351
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/search.php?searchid=9813372
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/search.php?searchid=9813373

These aren't even the worst offenders, I just can't be bothered looking.