PDA

View Full Version : Signature Violation suggestion

ApochWeiss
07-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Hey, figured I'd stop by the feedback forum instead of putting this in the complaints section, as it's more a suggestion then anything. I got tacked with a signature violation a while back from Creech, I had an image in there that was too big and prior to my resizing it, the site went down for me and when I hopped back on an hour later (maybe 2, I forget) I was hit with it and my signature deleted.

One of the users on here is my fiancee and she had her signature deleted and tacked with a warning, assuming from Creech because he announced he would do that. My suggestion is, instead of up and deleting it, why not give a warning to change it first? I'm not easy to piss off, but it's the small stuff that really does piss me off easily, and logging on to find this happened so quickly did piss me off. I figured, so what, it's a web site, no big deal, just redo it without the picture I was clearly cited for and not cause any waves. I stopped caring, but this whole thing with those poke egg things, whatever they were...Creech announced he would be deleting and infracting people with the eggs in the sigs.

But here's the thing, she got hit with all that, and she was asleep. She didn't know it violated any rules. So, why not, instead of just tacking us with the infraction and giving a rather sarcastic statement that sends people such as myself off the deep end with rage, why not give a warning stating that it is violation and that it will be deleted within 24 hours or something if it is not removed or altered?

I believe that it is a step to show that the moderators are not asses and actually care that the rules are followed, but not in a supreme overlord manner.

Now, if it's another achievement site advert, fuck that, delete it and infract haha. But I mean, those stupid poke eggs things, the mybrute stuff, things along those lines, give a warning if it's not achievement or 360 related. I think it would boost the morale of some of the users here and the trust of the mods in them as well.

Shelton
07-04-2009, 12:23 PM
It'd be ok for them to do such things if there were clear cut rules, but as it is, I agree, a warning first. When I signed up, I was never prompted with a set of rules to abide by. If something is infact a violation of the "rules" how am I, or anyone else for that matter, supposed to know?

Guess I should get rid of this egg then? Don't see the problem with it personally. People have far worse sigs...

To get an infraction for something that you didn't know was wrong, is abit much, no?

This is me agreeing with you. lol.

SengIV
07-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I dont think sigs should be forced to have only achievement related stuff. I for one love my sig. Apoch's sig has nothing wrong with it. Shelton yours has nothing wrong with it (except I hate those freaking egg things).

Thats my point of view. But I do hate those sigs that stretch the freaking page.

Shelton
07-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I dont think sigs should be forced to have only achievement related stuff. I for one love my sig. Apoch's sig has nothing wrong with it. Shelton yours has nothing wrong with it (except I hate those freaking egg things).

Thats my point of view. But I do hate those sigs that stretch the freaking page.

I love it too. ;) The ones that stretch the page are annoying. As per Apoch's suggestion though, the person should receive a warning and be asked to change it. Not an instant infraction, or deletion of their sig.

This (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1844) is the only set of rules I could find in a 5 minute search that deals with signatures.

" Do not use image or text advertisements to earn money. Some people may misunderstand and think that the advertisement money goes back to the community via the forum/website and not to the individual poster."

I'm not earning money from my egg. Seng, you're not receiving money from your sig neither is Apoch. What is the problem then?

BarbaricGoose
07-05-2009, 03:52 AM
mybrute

Better not diss the MyBrute stuff, Pants may come down on ya.. That didn't come out right.

In any case, I think this is a great idea. Full support.

AOS Puck
07-05-2009, 04:30 PM
At one point, there was actually a sig limit in place that was something like 500 pixels wide x 300 pixels high total space. However, it was never really enforced. If we were to start enforcing it, 3 people in this thread would be in violation: Apoch, Seng & BarbaricGoose.

BarbaricGoose
07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
At one point, there was actually a sig limit in place that was something like 500 pixels wide x 300 pixels high total space. However, it was never really enforced. If we were to start enforcing it, 3 people in this thread would be in violation: Apoch, Seng & BarbaricGoose.

It's a 500 x 100 pixel limit, or a 19.5KB image size. Whichever is smaller.

It's nearly impossible to find something not avatar-sized that's less than 19.5KB. Hell, most of the gamertag things are over that. So, because of that KB limit, Shelton is also technically violating the rules.

Hell, even you, Puck, are violating the long since forgotten rules. That sig o' yours is 53KB.

Skillet
07-05-2009, 07:58 PM
It's a 500 x 100 pixel limit, or a 19.5KB image size. Whichever is smaller.

It's nearly impossible to find something not avatar-sized that's less than 19.5KB. Hell, most of the gamertag things are over that. So, because of that KB limit, Shelton is also technically violating the rules.

Hell, even you, Puck, are violating the long since forgotten rules. That sig o' yours is 53KB.

Nice try.

Those "rules" aren't rules. It's just the allowed signature upload size. Not how large your signature is allowed to be.

BarbaricGoose
07-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Nice try.

Those "rules" aren't rules. It's just the allowed signature upload size. Not how large your signature is allowed to be.

Haha. I stand corrected, Skillet. :)

Though, I tried to find rules about signature size, and was unable. If we're going to be receiving infractions without warning for our signatures, I think we should at least be able to see the rules about signature size, and what not. Or, of course, give us a warning before destroying said signatures, as this thread would suggest.

kaleido42
07-06-2009, 03:23 AM
My brute as well? Does this mean that a super mod is going to get an infraction from a mod? I would indeed like to see some clear firm rules.

Itsbrown4606
07-06-2009, 03:33 AM
My brute as well? Does this mean that a super mod is going to get an infraction from a mod? I would indeed like to see some clear firm rules.

I say if MyBrute is allowed, then so should the Plushies.

Same thing, really.

kaleido42
07-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Apoch, or I suppose anyone, could I get the link for where Creech said that he would be infracting people for the poke plushies. I'm totally willing to take it down but I don't have a site account over there so if I take them down now before something gets figured out about all of this then I have no way of getting those links back. Thanks for anyone that can direct me to that post.

Itsbrown4606
07-07-2009, 01:01 AM
It was in Off-Topic in the "Why did the PokePlushies thread get locked?" thread.

kaleido42
07-07-2009, 01:35 AM
It was in Off-Topic in the "Why did the PokePlushies thread get locked?" thread.

Couldn't find it, even tried searching.

Itsbrown4606
07-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Couldn't find it, even tried searching.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2122963&postcount=24

Didn't look hard enough. I found it in less than a minute.

Genesis x360a
07-07-2009, 01:45 AM

Not sure, It was'nt being spammed with message's from user's or anything bad it was just there for general discussion and there wasnt even a message saying why it had been locked.

Back on topic, The Plushie things are not large and they dont advertise anything so i dont see why anybody has a problem with them, People have had the Brutes in there sigs for a while now but i guess there ok because some Mods have them in there sigs.

I agree on people with really large sigs should get a PM saying that they need to resize or remove there sigs in an alotted time before gettting an infraction.

kaleido42
07-07-2009, 10:29 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2122963&postcount=24

Didn't look hard enough. I found it in less than a minute.

:confused:

Not much to say to that. I must look like an idiot now.

AOS Puck
07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
My personal opinion on the subject is that this is a 360 site first and foremost and if I was making the rules, only 360 related stuff would be allowed in sigs with the exception of one traditional "sig". Genesis', Barbaric's flaming head pic (not the bottle one), Skillet's sigs are what I consider a traditional sig. Luckily for you guys, I don't make the rules, I only enforce them. ;)

Itsbrown4606
07-07-2009, 11:59 PM
My personal opinion on the subject is that this is a 360 site first and foremost and if I was making the rules, only 360 related stuff would be allowed in sigs with the exception of one traditional "sig". Genesis', Barbaric's flaming head pic (not the bottle one), Skillet's sigs are what I consider a traditional sig. Luckily for you guys, I don't make the rules, I only enforce them. ;)

I take it you mean the custom-made ones that show off years of artistic talent that have the users name or tag in it?

AOS Puck
07-08-2009, 12:00 AM
I take it you mean the custom-made ones that show off years of artistic talent that have the users name or tag in it?

Those are the ones I'm talking about.

Creech
07-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Hey, figured I'd stop by the feedback forum instead of putting this in the complaints section, as it's more a suggestion then anything. I got tacked with a signature violation a while back from Creech, I had an image in there that was too big and prior to my resizing it, the site went down for me and when I hopped back on an hour later (maybe 2, I forget) I was hit with it and my signature deleted.

One of the users on here is my fiancee and she had her signature deleted and tacked with a warning, assuming from Creech because he announced he would do that. My suggestion is, instead of up and deleting it, why not give a warning to change it first? I'm not easy to piss off, but it's the small stuff that really does piss me off easily, and logging on to find this happened so quickly did piss me off. I figured, so what, it's a web site, no big deal, just redo it without the picture I was clearly cited for and not cause any waves. I stopped caring, but this whole thing with those poke egg things, whatever they were...Creech announced he would be deleting and infracting people with the eggs in the sigs.

If I deleted your fiance's signature, she got an email from me letting her know it was me. I don't hide what I do. Also, note that I didn't say I would necessarily infract for the eggs, just that at some point I might get around to deleting them as well.

Regarding why I infract and delete the signature rather than just send you a polite email asking you to do it on your own...frankly, I don't have the desire to maintain a list of people I have notified and check up on them afterward. An infraction is not the end of the world, it is just letting you know that you are out of compliance with something on the site. Deleting the signature then eliminates the problem.

All that being said, I agree the policy should be more clear, so I will do what I can to address that and communicate it.

I say if MyBrute is allowed, then so should the Plushies.

Same thing, really.

I don't think either are appropriate for the site. Can I infract a supermod? Of course not. But I do find it amusing to see that some people don't understand that Pants and I are on the same team. If the admins decide the mybrute links are inappropriate, he won't have it in his sig. <shrug>

Itsbrown4606
07-08-2009, 12:27 AM
An infraction is not the end of the world, it is just letting you know that you are out of compliance with something on the site. Deleting the signature then eliminates the problem.

I am assuming though that those of us who have, oh, let's say 2 of them and a warning, would have a shorter future lifespan than those with clean slates.

Assuming that they continue to get infractions at the same rate... 'cause I do know that someone with a lot of infractions can last just as long as someone who doesn't as long as they don't bugger up anymore.

ApochWeiss
07-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Wow this thing went off topic...haha

If I deleted your fiance's signature, she got an email from me letting her know it was me. I don't hide what I do. Also, note that I didn't say I would necessarily infract for the eggs, just that at some point I might get around to deleting them as well.

Regarding why I infract and delete the signature rather than just send you a polite email asking you to do it on your own...frankly, I don't have the desire to maintain a list of people I have notified and check up on them afterward. An infraction is not the end of the world, it is just letting you know that you are out of compliance with something on the site. Deleting the signature then eliminates the problem.

All that being said, I agree the policy should be more clear, so I will do what I can to address that and communicate it.

Perhaps I read your statement wrong, and if that's the case, thank you for correcting me. However, the whole sig with my fiancee thing is not a real issue for me, it was just fuel for the fire. Mine, I assume, was too big because of the picture. Hence why I suggest contacting certain people and asking them to please fix the signature instead of flat out deleting them and infracting them like you did to me haha. Now I have two infractions (one because the resizing of a picture failed and the site or my net went down, and the other because I had a conniption fit that was typed up wrong). DMF now has an infraction, and all she had were those plushies. As far as I know, as what I'm gathering here, there are no clear cut rules as far as the signature goes, aside promoting protable sites that do not profit x360a which I firmly agree with. I just figure it would bestow a little more faith in some of the mods on here that some consider "assholes" or "jerks" that they are considerate enough to inform them as to what is wrong with the sig, and if they don't change it, delete it and infract them for non-compliace with site rules/regulations.

I do understand this procedure would probably increase the mods work load, but it is just a suggestion. There's a lot of smart people who are mods/admin on this site, as well as visitors, perhaps someone could create a program that people can use to keep track of these signatures that obtain delete/infraction warnings that can be used if anyone took this suggestion seriously at some point in time.

Evil Demon55
07-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I agree, why does he have the buisness to say what cannoy be in our sig, unless of course it is x-rated. I have seen pointless img things where a dude chases a balloon, funny but not xbox related. I have seen girls, covered, but bairly... sure as hell not xbox related, but what am I to say bout that haha.

What is he to say we cannot have links to mybrute, to the egg things, the eggs are actually extremely fun, don't take that away! Mybrute is fun! Wanna know what isn't fun? Xbox America, Trueachievements, MGC. They are just stats and are boring.

We should be allowed these fun things. Where in the rules can we not have damn eggs? Who the hell do eggs harm? No one, signitures represent who we are, not who you are.

Now if the thing is HUGE and streches the page, I hate those, and those should be deleted with a 24 hour warning. And just that, not the whole sig, just the oversized sig.

Edit: I am not sure who is doing it, read a name, but not pointing fingers, cause the name I read... he is a cool guy to me so far :p.

Shelton
07-08-2009, 03:07 PM

This is my main concern. I mean, if I knew something was against the rules, I wouldn't do it. Simple as that. As it is though, I am unsure of any of the sites rules, so really am just winging it atm.

How you can infract or delete sigs without citing any rules is beyond me. Maybe it's not my place to say anything, but rest assured that if you decided to do such things to me, I'd raise hell.