PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion - Welcome PM from x360a (with Sticky notice)

KNUCKS x360a
07-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Was just thinking, a LOT of first time posters & new members here, jump straight into the Forums (without reading/knowing of the Rules/FAQ's) & make threads for Achievement Trading... & usually incur flames/grumpy comments (at best!) or locked/deleted Threads at worst (if a Mod sees it!)

How about a more 'Informal' welcome PM as you activate your account..? With direct links to the Rules/FAQ's included, links to the Social Groups... & maybe a link to the Announcements section?
More importantly, (and the reason i made this Post!) a brief explanation of the Sticky Trade Thread system we use here. This would save the new member time, hassle & possibly an infraction - whilst also lightening the load for Mods (& reducing the whinge/flame factor from members..)

It could also mean a more warm welcome to new folks generally...

Just a thought! :)

Cacky
07-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I like this idea, perhaps it could include a link to the Skillet's "Ultimate Guide to X360A".

Yunder
07-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Seeing as I did stuff like this when I got here :p, I will support this idea.
Good on ya Knucks!!

JC
07-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I suggested this idea around 10 months back, and it got rejected.

Can't remember why...but this is a really good idea and would be quite easy to implement too. :)

Rowey 94
07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Very nice idea but i think there could be more effective ways of doing this.
maybe in the sign up bit. maybe put tip's and stuff there ?

KFZ Scrubs
07-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I think because they have to manually send them the message to each and every new member if they where to do that.
Same thing applies with awards, it's all done manually.

X monkfish69 X
07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Very good idea ! I'm in support of this and I would have appreciated this when I joined the site.

Smashing Impact
07-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't think everything in the OP should be said in too much detail in the PM if this were to be implemented. Most people, myself included, don't read welcome PM's as they are just automated and are always bound to say the same thing.

Maybe if it read something like this:

Hello and welcome to x360a.

We are glad you joined us and to help you get the most of the site, here are a few useful links to get you started.

(Link to FAQ)
(Link to Rules)
etc.

Also, if you are looking for help in achievements, the easiest way to do this is to find that game's forum and head straight for the 'Achievement Trading Thread' and post your desired achievement and wait for people to get back to you.

x360a Admin.

Something brief like that anyway, I just typed that from the top of my head in a minute. :p

True I Skill
07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Good Idea, But maybe not all at once, at seprate times. For example when they first go to Post a thread, Where you type it comes up with a list of Rules, and what you should and shouldnt post about, Just a simple list not too much detail, And they just click it to get rid of it, Might make them read it if its where they need to look to start typing, I normaly Skip most of what it says in emails i get from sites when i first sign up, Or what it says when signing up to the site.

And maybe A list of suggested Threads should be listed for them,
Threads which explain how to use Spoiler tags, The main threads for talking, Like genral off topic, and xbox360 discussion.

AOS Puck
07-04-2009, 09:23 PM
A former board I modded did something similar but nothing changed. People who are too lazy to use the search function are too lazy to read a PM. All the important info is in easy to find locations, its just that people don't care. Look how many topics we get about linking your gamertag to your x360a account when there is a sticky telling you how. Most people just want answers now and don't care to try and look for themselves because they know someone else will just tell them the answer.

KNUCKS x360a
07-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm surprised at the enthusiastic replies TBH, not at all surprised that it was shot-down though! ;)

AOS Puck
07-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm surprised at the enthusiastic replies TBH, not at all surprised that it was shot-down though! ;)

The only people that can truly shoot something down are the admins. I was just stating facts. ;)

Skillet
07-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I hate auto PMs.

What I find to be MUCH more effective is a set of rules when you first try to register. These rules must also be accepted.

That way there isn't an excuse for people "not knowing".

I'm not the first to suggest it here, either. And I doubt the last. Method suggested something similar a while back.

Though, for this site I think it could be less of a rules agreement (which would be included anyway) and more of a "how the site works" agreement. Listing things like the existence of a seperate forum for every game, achievement discussion/trading threads, and where to go to find additional info. I.e, a link to the FAQ board.

I think it would be far more effective. And as I said, it would be an agreement. So there wouldn't be any excuse for ignorrance. I know most people are lazy. But I think if we made it readable, instead of a huge list of legal jargon... people would read it and obey.

Least it could do is lower the stupid thread count by... 10%. :p

Evil Demon55
07-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Would be like other sites that do this, like Myspace, you got a message from Tom, that no one read. People will ignore then message, read it, accept the links, than leave and head on off to get threads locked :p.

What should be done is a set of rules, that must be read because when you are registering you have to take a simple quiz, that takes 3 minutes max.

Even some dumb stuff shoved mid-way in the rules that says "if you got here, put "x360a" in the answer box for question 5.

kaleido42
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Would be like other sites that do this, like Myspace, you got a message from Tom, that no one read. People will ignore then message, read it, accept the links, than leave and head on off to get threads locked :p.

What should be done is a set of rules, that must be read because when you are registering you have to take a simple quiz, that takes 3 minutes max.

Even some dumb stuff shoved mid-way in the rules that says "if you got here, put "x360a" in the answer box for question 5.

Actually that is the most brilliant thing I've read here. No matter how something is presented people will always skip by it because of how things usually are. Even if the site skipped out the legal stuff how is the person supposed to know that when they don't bother reading it. But this, I like it. As long as it doesn't sound to legal. It would make them read through it to pass the test. If they don't pass then :chair. If they do pass then :drunk. Best idea ever.