PDA

View Full Version : Watch and record TV on your 360

Gunstar Chaos
01-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Xbox console to incorporate Microsoft's IPTV service by end of year

Xbox Live will offer Microsoft's Internet Protocol TV service later this year, enabling Xbox 360 owners to use their consoles to watch and record television shows, access video-on-demand and enjoy HD quality TV, Microsoft's Bill Gates has revealed (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/events/ces2007/microsoftintegratesiptvsoftwareplatform.htm) at the Consumer Electronics Show this week.
You'll be able to run other Xbox Live actions, such as voice chat, text messaging or Marketplace downloading, while using the IPTV service, which Microsoft reckons will provide us with "all the advantages of an advanced TV service along with the benefits of next-generation gaming." Though, with the console's well known penchant for overheating, the idea of using it as your constant television provider might make gamers a little nervous.

Those brave enough to give the possible future of seamlessly integrated home entertainment a try, however, can expect to do so around this time next year. The feature's rollout is currently scheduled for Christmas 2007.

Hopefully, that will also give Microsoft enough time to prepare a bigger hard drive attachment. With a potentially limitless amount of programming to download, 20 gigabytes just isn't going to cut it anymore.

Sounds pretty good, but will the end up being a charged service?

AOS Puck
01-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Sounds pretty good, but will the end up being a charged service?

This is M$ we are talking about isn't it. ;)

Krazie
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
This sounds awesome! I was completely excited about it until I read the words "Holiday 2007".. Should be awesome, just got the long wait for it!

vincesecuricor2
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
of course u think m$ will go to all that trouble for a general sense of hapiness???

Kaens
01-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Just give me a big ass hard drive and I'm all over this one.

vincesecuricor2
01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
really? the overheat thing aint too bad for me at the mo cos i rarely spend more than a few hours at a time on it but havin it on all day seems to be askin for trouble!

TheMollywhopper
01-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I use Media Center to record all of my shows, and they don't charge anything for that... But seeing as how MS has "partners" for this one I'm sure this'll be a nickel-and-dime affair.

Kaens
01-10-2007, 06:46 PM
really? the overheat thing aint too bad for me at the mo cos i rarely spend more than a few hours at a time on it but havin it on all day seems to be askin for trouble!
My 360 runs usually 5-8 hours a day during the week and often does 20+ on the weekends. Anyone on my friend's list can vouch for that! I know I'm supposedly lucky, but so far no problems ever.

Zef
01-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a good idea if you don't live anywhere in the world other than America.

I'd probably just use Sky anyway, having my 360 on will mean I need the volume up and that isn't a very atomsphere friendly thing to do.

blum3
01-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Sounds cool. I already got a dvd-r recorder though and a vcr. So it isn't really neccessary for me, but if it's free it won't hurt.

Spot2009
01-11-2007, 04:40 AM
This is M$ we are talking about isn't it. ;)
Unfortunately.. At least maybe I will be able to watch Lost again.

Wet Factory
01-11-2007, 08:30 PM
i cant wait to see how this develops. if they are able to offer me the same channels as my basic cable then im going to dump that whole optimum package and just have 360.

heman38
01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
hopefully they do more programing than they do now, it is lame, they offer tv shows and movies to download, but nothing i want to watch! and it rarely ever updates!