PDA

View Full Version : Gamer of the Week?

ErmacVersion1
07-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Just a thought here, and I'm still thinking it over in my head, but what if you were to post a random gamer of the week on the main page? Like their GT, Avatar, and Gamer Card? I know xbox.com sorta already does this, but this could be something maybe all the mods and admins vote on based on VALID user posts, support, donations, activity, guides posted etc. I mean you could base it off anything you want but, I mean it'd surely make somebody's day to just log on and see their stuff on the main page of xb360a. Just saying. Thanks for the time.

Cacky
07-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Isn't this idea similar to Member of the Month?

ErmacVersion1
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Isn't this idea similar to Member of the Month? Haha I didn't even know they did that here. Well then just scratch this thread.

AOS Puck
07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Considering we've only done MotM once this year I believe, I don't see this happening. ;)

Deleted2014-12-02
07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Considering we've only done MotM once this year I believe, I don't see this happening. ;)

More like Member of the Once-In-A-While, really... or Member of the Had-A-Good-Idea... *cough*Method*cough*...

AOS Puck
07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I think we are changing it to Member of the Millennium so we have a little more time to come up with one. ;)

Ingles
07-07-2009, 06:59 PM
More like Member of the Once-In-A-While, really... or Member of the Had-A-Good-Idea... *cough*Method*cough*...

I agree with you Brown. Member of the Once-In-A-While or Had-A-Good-Idea fits very well and true. :)

RuggersAssassin
07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Member of the Month haha...That doesn't happen that much anymore. I don't even know how they could come up with one once a week. Its also hard to pick someone out from a huge community of people we have here. So this probably won't happen.

veece16
07-07-2009, 08:29 PM
i got it! whoever donates the most wins!!!!

Wii187
07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Would the difficulty lie in choosing MofM? What if someone was to recommend a MotM? Why not feature AOS Puck & Skillet next as sort of a meet and greet your new mods.

Deleted2014-12-02
07-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I agree with you Brown. Member of the Once-In-A-While or Had-A-Good-Idea fits very well and true. :)

What's stupid about it, though, is that we already have an award for implementing a good idea. Why is it that if someone comes up with a great idea, they get this coveted award?

Granted, Method is eons above what I do for this site so I take it he really did deserve it. But the question is, would he still have gotten it without this idea?

Would the average joe who came up with the idea get it? Hmmmmmmm?

inb4 "jealousy, butthurt" and other stupid responses.

RuggersAssassin
07-07-2009, 08:38 PM
i got it! whoever donates the most wins!!!!

No. That would be extremely bias and is not really worthy in my opinion. Its a great thing for the site, but its just money. Most MoM have been chosen for helpful additions and ideas for the site.

Would the difficulty lie in choosing MofM? What if someone was to recommend a MotM?

Well the Admins choose the MoM and they have to do something worthy for the site. They aren't just going to choose a random person and do an interview of them. They have to be dedicated to the site or help with a new addition. So thats the difficulty in choosing someone. If they made it to recommend somebody it could turn out to be a popularity contest and they would be spammed with requests from members. In my opinion it should not always be chosen by ideas as Brown stated above, but sometimes by people who have been with the site for a long time and post helpful information and help others on here. Its not always a bad idea to choose someone who is well known by the community and who helps. Though, it should definetly not be based on post count. End of my opinion...

Pashos
07-07-2009, 08:42 PM
What's stupid about it, though, is that we already have an award for implementing a good idea. Why is it that if someone comes up with a great idea, they get this coveted award?

Granted, Method is eons above what I do for this site so I take it he really did deserve it. But the question is, would he still have gotten it without this idea?

inb4 "jealousy, butthurt" and other stupid responses.

Brown you're just jealous of him for thinking of the idea and you didn't.

But yeah, I don't see this happening. For one, there are way too many members to pick out just one. And two, they don't even pick one once a month so I doubt it would be any easier once a week.

Wii187
07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Well the Admins choose the MoM and they have to do something worthy for the site. They aren't just going to choose a random person and do an interview of them. They have to be dedicated to the site or help with a new addition. So thats the difficulty in choosing someone. If they made it to recommend somebody it could turn out to be a popularity contest and they would be spammed with requests from members. In my opinion it should not always be chosen by ideas as Brown stated above, but sometimes by people who have been with the site for a long time and post helpful information and help others on here. Its not always a bad idea to choose someone who is well known by the community and who helps. Though, it should definetly not be based on post count. End of my opinion...

I agree. The community recommendation would be catalyst to get the ball rolling, like I would recommend AOS Puck & Skillet since they're new mods (they've must have done something beneficial to the community to become mods) and it would be a good way to get to know them.

Maybe a private MotM Recommendation thread stickied in feedback. I'm thinking an open one would invite negative feedback.

RuggersAssassin
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree. The community recommendation would be catalyst to get the ball rolling, like I would recommend AOS Puck & Skillet since they're new mods (they've must have done something beneficial to the community to become mods) and it would be a good way to get to know them.

Maybe a private MotM Recommendation thread stickied in feedback. I'm thinking an open one would invite negative feedback.

Well, Admins and Moderators aren't allowed to receive the reward as I was told when I suggested bringing back MoM awhile ago. The problem with a recommendation thread, if I understand what you mean by this, is that it will still result in too many suggestions for the Admins to moderate and it will result in a popularity contest. I think we should just keep MoM and let the Admins/Moderators just choose themselves and choose somebody who has helped the community. Once again, as Brown stated, its annoying how it only happens to those who suggest ideas when there is already an award for that and there are many deserving memebers on this site who deserve recognition and the award. I just liked the feature and now it is a rarity. I liked learning about our members and reading about those who have been with x360a.

KFZ Scrubs
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't think that'd work out because usually when community recommendation comes into order, a huge majority of people will turn it into a popularity contest and probably either vote for themselves or for someone extremely popular... like Tussel!

Method
07-07-2009, 11:23 PM

inb4 "jealousy, butthurt" and other stupid responses.Jeez, it's nice to login and see that the merits under which I earned an award are in question.

The reason I got MoM was not solely because of the idea I had. After I came up with the idea, I wrote 25 road maps for the site in the span of about a couple months. That's the main reason. I promise that if someone else were to write that many quality submissions for the site in a relatively quick time that they too would earn the MoM award (I'm on the guide team, believe me I'd push for it). The reason I think MoM is not necessarily "monthly" is because there isn't always a member that shines above in the staff's eyes every month.

Last, I was an "average joe" before I came up with the idea and did all that work, so yes any average joe can earn the award. The problem is that too many people have good ideas and instead of trying to take the next step and formulate examples and possible ways to implement it, they simply dump it in the staff's lap and want them to do all the work.

...and no I'm not mad or insulted, I'm just explaining the situation to quell all the speculation and false assumptions :)

The Pants Party
07-07-2009, 11:38 PM
To clarify one thing: staff can't earn the award... hence why I don't have it. :p

But yeah, seeing as we can barely find one person a month, doing it weekly is out of the question. I'll see what we can do about getting it back on track, but the members do need to EARN it. We're not going to scramble to pick someone. If it comes up and we don't immediately have someone on the tip of our tongues, we'll just skip that month because no one went above and beyond the call of duty to really earn it.

But at the same time... effort doesn't always equal output. We do have a lot of members who try their damndest to get noticed and help out, but it's not always productive and sometimes even makes more work for us deflecting their advances. Then they pull out the GHB and it all goes downhill.

Fizzmatix
07-08-2009, 12:07 AM
There is only one way i could see this work and it wouldn't be staff controlled. Basically have a script that pulls a random person out of the 1,000s of us on here and displays their info on the sidebar for a few days then picks someone else.

phate89 0
07-08-2009, 02:22 AM
i was just about to write that fizz, using that you could have member of the day so people dont get arsey because there not picked... that way it would be random...but also keep the MOtM so someone that adds to the forum gets known.

Shadownage
07-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Or another idea is we could have like an achievement of the day or week or something.

Evil Demon55
07-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Isn't this idea similar to Member of the Month? Member of the Season :p.

KFZ Scrubs
07-08-2009, 07:55 AM
There is only one way i could see this work and it wouldn't be staff controlled. Basically have a script that pulls a random person out of the 1,000s of us on here and displays their info on the sidebar for a few days then picks someone else.
You mean kind of like they do on xbox.com?
Whenever i log on there, there's a box on the bottom showing me someone who has a live account or something like that.
A random display of our members?

jackanape
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Jeez, it's nice to login and see that the merits under which I earned an award are in question.

The reason I got MoM was not solely because of the idea I had. After I came up with the idea, I wrote 25 road maps for the site in the span of about a couple months. That's the main reason. I promise that if someone else were to write that many quality submissions for the site in a relatively quick time that they too would earn the MoM award (I'm on the guide team, believe me I'd push for it). The reason I think MoM is not necessarily "monthly" is because there isn't always a member that shines above in the staff's eyes every month.

Last, I was an "average joe" before I came up with the idea and did all that work, so yes any average joe can earn the award. The problem is that too many people have good ideas and instead of trying to take the next step and formulate examples and possible ways to implement it, they simply dump it in the staff's lap and want them to do all the work.

...and no I'm not mad or insulted, I'm just explaining the situation to quell all the speculation and false assumptions :)

I've done seventy odd reviews, eleven roadmaps and five guides - can I have a cookie? :p

Ha ha ha, seriously though I think we all know that Method earned his spot as have many of the other contributors around here. The award was a lot more regular back in the day because the site was a heck of a lot smaller and it was easier to spot outstanding contributions.

Now you only have to look at the achievement update Pants does each month to see how many people are conributing: guides, lists, roadmaps, achievements etc etc. To pick just one person out of the number of people who help out around here would be a tough ask.

OR

Minty picks who it is out of a hat, and he can no longer be arsed.

Whichever, of these floats your boat. ;)

Blue Radium
07-12-2009, 07:00 AM
We already have a Member of the Month system. Our lazy admins just don't keep it going annually :p. I'm not sure if they have a Member of the Month only when there is an outstanding member, or if they just have too much on their plate to deal with such a minor thing.

Fizzmatix
07-12-2009, 08:04 AM
You mean kind of like they do on xbox.com?
Whenever i log on there, there's a box on the bottom showing me someone who has a live account or something like that.
A random display of our members?

Well those aren't random there interviews as well if you click on the link bedside them but there now gone since the xbox.com update. But it would be a random person every day. I have seen it before but its kind of pointless seeing as it just gives out random profiles.