PDA

View Full Version : Plane controls...

Chimhog
07-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi guys,

Was wondering if there is anyway that just the plane controls can be inverteed? (not infantry)

Im a bit old school flight sim :woop:

Psymox
07-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Yes they can, press start in-game and go to settings -> controls. You can invert player view, vehicle and air.

When I first got in a plane, went to take off, pushed the stick down and plowed right into a tree ^_^ Then began to search for invert :-p

Vaile23
07-10-2009, 10:10 AM
best config for planes (IMO) is southpaw inverted.

much easier.

R_A_LEE20
07-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I quite agree, Southpaw Inverted is the best control type, use it on the tutorial to get the best results.

BTW: Does anybody know if the 360s Flight Stick works with this game?

Mother Beef
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I had alot of trouble with original controls, then changed it to "southpaw" and still had trouble so i sucked it in and decided to just practice normal controls in tutorial whlist i waited for updates etc, pretty competent driver now.

Just practice.

Lemon Of Life
07-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm having trouble getting kills, but at least I don't crash into the sea anymore.

rook44
07-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm having trouble getting kills, but at least I don't crash into the sea anymore.

Yeah, I feel your pain on that one. I flew around long enough to get used to making bombing runs on bases and finally got my 1 plane kill required for the "motorman" achievement. Got the "milkrun" achievement last night....now I'll leave the planes to the guys who can actually fly them.

DeafSunchaser
07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
no matter what i do i cannot fly planes on xbox controller lol gimme a mouse and keyboard any day! :) i leave the flying to the better guys! :)

Simzo
07-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I really wish I could fly planes well because in my opinion it's the funnest thing in the game. If only the steering was a bit more responsive.

Kung Fu Jams
07-11-2009, 12:01 AM
I can fly planes pretty well now but I think they are absolutely crying out for a bombing camera a la the bombing run because i can hit anything with the bombs, the only kills I get are in dogfights.

Pashos
07-11-2009, 12:18 AM
I got really good at flying planes because I kept doing the tutorial when I couldn't find a match. I'm horrible at hitting my target when I got to drop a bomb though. But I'm good at air raids. :/

~F0RcEx
07-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Anyone know how to time the Bomb Drops? I can't hit a thing with 'em.

And their blast radius is so small! I was standing right in front of one on a roof one time and took no damage. =/

Mother Beef
07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Yeah i can dogfight very well, but the dropping of these weak weak bombs is pathetic, they are inaccurate and do little damage. I have had many drop right next to me and not kill me. Not to mention i rarely see people get kills with them, first one today actually. (after 30-40 matches total)

Increase the power of the bombs and the pistol and this game will be even more fantastic then it already is.

GambitXK2
07-11-2009, 04:46 AM
When I first started up the plane on the tutorial I had the same problem. Pushed down and went into the ground. Quickly switched to invert. After that it was like flying on 1942 for me and it was easy.

I can dog fight very well and it's a lot of fun and strafing is relatively easy on ground targets. The bombing I have a bit of trouble with. Not because I'm missing but because they do little damage. I've seen multiple times bombs land on top of tanks or next to people and just basically tickle them. I've gotten quite a few bomb kills but I'm going to assume those were miracle bombs. Hopefully the damage will be adjusted just right.

StolenPaper18
07-11-2009, 04:50 AM
For all of those who have rolled off the carriers straight into the water because you couldn't figure out that you had to hold up instead of down...I feel your pain! DOH! :)

Rifle Elite
07-11-2009, 07:05 AM
although im right-handed I really prefer the Lefty Southpaw. For some reason now that I take corners with the left thumbstick Im a lot more accurate with my plane. Everyone who cant get used to the southpaw should try the lefty southpow. Even if you are right handed it could be a much better control setup

Madmax410
07-11-2009, 08:34 AM
In my opinion, I wish we could remap the flight controls completely. Yaw for one of the sticks is so stupid. I would love to make it AC style with the bumpers being yaw and everything. Ah well, I'll deal with southpaw inverted.

BTW: Pause -> Settings -> Controls. Just look for it on that menu.

CGPsaint
07-11-2009, 09:29 AM
The airplanes are the one redeeming grace of this game for me personally. That's not to say that this is not a great game, I'll save that argument for another thread. I personally prefer 1st person shooters a la COD 4, but the planes in BF1943 are just so damn much fun. You absolutely need to fly with the cockpit view but it would be nice to have a way to aim the bombs, and it would help if the bombs actually did damage. I have played this game for a minimum of 15 hours and I have probably spend 14 of those hours in the cockpit. For those of you having trouble with dogfighting, make sure you are taking full advantage of the yaw on the opposite stick from your pitch and roll. It also helps to lay off of the throttle in order to sneak inside when trying to out-turn an opponent who is convinced that if they keep flying in circle you will get bored. Simply lay off of the throttle and push your yaw stick in the direction of the turn. (you need to even out your turn with the roll stick in order to use the yaw stick properly) That being said, if you get stuck playing the game of chase in a never ending circle, pull up and when you come out of your loop you have a better angle to re-engage. When all else fails and you plane is shot all to pieces, try to aim towards a place where you can help your team out and bail out over friendly forces. Last but not least. If your plane is damaged and you are able to limp away from the fight you can land your plane and it will automatically regain full health. Simple line up with the runway or carrier deck and release the throttle. Glide in and your plane will come to a stop. Just make sure you land as close to the near end of the runway as possible or else you won't have anywhere to take off from. I'm done. Good luck to all you aspiring pilots.

DirtySeb
07-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I see a few people have suggested that they're bad at bomb dropping but you're probably not as bad as you would think - the bombs are just extremely weak in this game. In response to the thread, I love the flying mechanics! 'Milkrun' was my second achievement on the game

Chimhog
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Am I reading this right? You can make the left stick your main control??

h34dsh00tz
07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
:eek:Ok, first of all i'm quiet an expert at flying in battlefield games.
First off all invert controls so pushing the right stick up means your plane going down.

To take of try to make as much speed as u can take off at a good flying speed.
Try to spend the first hours of flying in the camera mode outside of the plane to watch what your plane exactly does.

Now the controls when inverted.

Right stick up: plane going down
Right stick down: plane going up
Right stick left/right: roll plane left/right
RT: shooting
RB: bombs
LT: accelerate
LB: slow down

:woop:Now something a lot of people have problems with is the turning.:woop:

To turn push the right stick in the direction you want to fly (just a little so u don't roll) and push the left stick in the same direction. keep trying this and u will get a real :) "top gun" :) flyer.
:Bounce: PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE THIS WILL NOT GO IN THE FIRST 5 MINUTES FOR ALL PEOPLE. ALSO PRACTICE IN PRIVATE SESSION :Bounce:

Your all :welcome
;) Greetings h34dsh00tz ;)
Ill see u all in the battlefield

feel free to add me GT: h34dsh00tz

Simzo
07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Well since my last post I have improved dramatically, I can even pull off the move where you fly upside down right above the ground where the cockpit is facing the ground and the belly of the plane facing the sky. So much fun.

MarcoPolo360
07-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Inverted Southpaw = The best
Also, some more tips if you're not that good at flying (although probably common sense):
1. Stay out of first person view when you're trying to bomb/fly;
2. Stay in first person view when in a dogfight with another plane.

D00mM4r1n3
07-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Inverted/Normal for me. I find having the right stick control pitch/roll is more natural since you would normally grip a flight stick with the right hand as well.

The bombs do indeed suck. I've done steep dives on groups of 2-3 enemies and never gotten a single kill. Out of 100+ bombs dropped i've gotten about 3 assists and 1 kill. Using guns is more effective.

General tips:
-Lay off the throttle when in a turning match with another plane
-Lay off the throttle when trying to gun down air raid bombers, they fly slow
-If you know you are going to crash or blow up, press B then mash A
-Stay clear of enemy carriers or fly low passed them at first to make sure they're clear
-Steal enemy planes as much as possible, it helps put the balance in your favor
-If the enemy is stealing your planes, hop in an anti-air gun located in the battlefield to shoot them down
-Use the cockpit view
-Learn the position of anti-air guns and strafe them if you find yourself taking damage over the battlefield (after repairing yourself of course)
-Learn the location of the tall antenna/radio towers and be sure to avoid them when dogfighting or turn sideways when going past
-Try to lead dogfights to your carrier in hopes that someone their will be manning one of the anti-air guns, and so you can get down to repair
-Sometimes it may feel like a plane is going to stall when trying to do a loop but if you hold the throttle and stick all the way through, it will power right through it
-To increase you chances of getting to a plane at the start of a match, mash the A button when a map is loading so you spawn in as quickly as possible, then run to the plane (press the left stick in to run)

I usually start a match by running to a plane, fly to the base with the air raid bunker, bail out, cap the flag, run to the bunker or hop in a a tank and drive to the bunker (for protection), and launch the first air raid. Watch the map carefully while in the air raid and watch to see if enemy have gone to the bunker you're now in to try and kill you when the raid is over, and use the air raid to kill them so that you can escape the bunker and getaway or try to recap the flag they likely stole by that point. This process usually nets me a quick 60 points at the start of the round. There's also a stamp for leading the charge.