PDA

View Full Version : virus

chrisnottm
07-11-2009, 05:09 AM
I've been using this laptop for about 6 months now with no problems and i haven't been visiting this site because I got bored of my 360 but i started playing again which means i had to come back.

the second i arrived at the site the laptop shut down and had a bunch of errors, i rebooted to find http://img26.imageshack.us/i/virusq.png/

Aswell as that 'error' when i try to visit ANY site it blocks the site and makes me look at ads instead...

I'm changing all my passwords and all that jazz, I just thought it needed mentioning =/

Good to be back lol.

Edit: it also installed the "PC Protection 2009" after the shutdown too which you can see in the picture...

Evil Demon55
07-11-2009, 06:43 AM
If this site gave you a virus, why'd you risk coming back :p? Hopefully it wasn't this site, as my computer is fine... well the one with Norton is.

chrisnottm
07-11-2009, 08:07 AM
lol no no :P
I went away, came back and now i have the virus. I've had to dig out my old laptop because the other one just wont load webpages now and if it actually does, i get redirected to ads and the 'back' button gets disabled... sigh lol

Evil Demon55
07-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Ouch. How olds the computer? They usually only last 3-4 years. I had a great comp. for 9 months before it screwed up. I ran virus scans every night, 2 infact of 2 seperate programs. It ended up getting one of thos spyware warnings, and it is slow now. The virus messed up both my protection programs... how? I don't know... plus, how did I get it???

My labtop now is fine, only 6 or so months though, *gulp*.

I would say you're screwed. I got another spysweeper and it does nothing. Still slow, still crap. I have to turn my comp. on twice. Once for the warm-up/freeze, and again to just use it... I would say, erase everything on the comp and mess with it until you can somewhat use it. Then just use that comp. till it dies and get a new one.

How long have you had this computer?

Good luck.

chrisnottm
07-11-2009, 09:34 AM
It's not that old to be honest the one with the virus is just an upgrade to this one =]

I found a few malicious bits and bobs if this makes any sense to anybody,i got pp10.exe installed by just visiting here and another one which has slipped my mind now but basically constantly redirects you aswell as a bunch which got mass deleted.
I'm having to reinstall IE just to see if i can get it to work again, not my day today lol.

Fizzmatix
07-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Part of the problem is probably because you use internet explorer, that think is a virus and bug magnet. I recommend getting spybot search and destroy as well as AVG and giving your computer a good scan. I have never had any issues with this site but then again I don't use windows so I have avoided 99% of the problem if there is one.

The only thing I can think of that could have caused any of your issues is some advertising but i'm sure the guys here screen the sources and make sure there clean before they do anything with them.

The only other thing I can think of is just format the laptop and start again, well if you know how to do that.

chrisnottm
07-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I've done everything i can except formatting because i cant find the disk and im getting 404's constantly now... lol.
And my FF just gives me a blank page no matter what i type in.
I downloaded s&d, put it on a usb thing and tried to install it on the virus-clad laptop but it needs to connect and gets a 404 from the server.

Any ideas? =[

[Waggly Bean]
07-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I've done everything i can except formatting because i cant find the disk and im getting 404's constantly now... lol.
And my FF just gives me a blank page no matter what i type in.
I downloaded s&d, put it on a usb thing and tried to install it on the virus-clad laptop but it needs to connect and gets a 404 from the server.

Any ideas? =[

Can you not boot in safe-mode? And if you get it sorted, do what the guy above said. I use Avast on one computer, AVG on the other and they're both good. Then I use Spybot if there's any issues, and I also tend to use Google Chrome as my browser - it's a damn site sleeker than internet explorer too! ;)

Anyway, nice to see you again - when I saw your avatar I thought 'there's someone I haven't seen on in a while!' before I even read your post! :p

Oh and Evil Demon, your computers probably only last 3 - 4 years because you run Norton Anti-Virus! :p

dakisbac
07-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Try a system restore before you try reformatting.

chrisnottm
07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Try a system restore before you try reformatting.

I did :P i forgot i made a backup last week lol
All back to normal except IE is broke and wont open but to be honest i can live with that =]
Bit of a scare though lol

Fizzmatix
07-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I did :P i forgot i made a backup last week lol
All back to normal except IE is broke and wont open but to be honest i can live with that =]
Bit of a scare though lol

Good to see you sorted it out, sad thing is windows seems to died quite easy when it finds something it doesn't like. Best thing to do is obtain a copy of windows somehow either by a friend or buy a new one. I think you can get windows xp for $30 now in the right place.

Good thing you had a backup though, i forgot windows has that restore option, I have only used restore disks in the past so never really used it.