PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Buy Capcom!

steviecrocker
01-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Well aparently Microsoft have brought Capcom. Now if that's true, wow! Exclusive Resident Evil and one of my favourite games of all time Devil May Cry! :drunk I would consider this just a rumour until Microsoft or Capcom announce something official, but this would definatly brake the Japan barrier (not that I care) and Capcom is probably without doubt one of the best developers around. This can only be good news for us... THE GAMERS!!!!

More can be found at http://www.gametab.com/news/785565/ Lets pray that it's not a rumour, come on Bill Gates I'm sure you can afford it!

Wreckon Dracgon
01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
This would be huge if it's true but I don't think it is... surely Sony would have jumped in to start a bidding war.

But if it is man would that be sweet... like you DMC is one of my favorite series. The first game was just rocking... the second was a major let down... but from the pizza flying beginning to the final showdown part three was just kick ass awesome.

Waaaaaaaak
01-12-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't think Sony have any money left tbh.

Hope its true :woop:

Webb
01-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Wow! ?If this is true then the next gen battle could have just moved to check mate.... So soon as well!! :eek:

TheMollywhopper
01-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Wow! ?If this is true then the next gen battle could have just moved to check mate....

Couldn't agree more. I recently heard that Microsoft paid Capcom an 8-digit number simply to be on only platform they release Dead Rising 2 on... there's no telling what they (would?) pay for exclusive rights to everything from the company, and IMO there is no such thing as "too much" when it comes to Capcom. I doubt anyone could argue that they're not in the all-time top 10 game producers, and not to sound like a fanboy, but it would feel really good to have them in our corner.

invincible rob
01-12-2007, 07:51 PM
hahahaha.
Excellent *taps fingers together like mr burns*

Monsterbox
01-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Wow, if this is confirmed, that's a HUGE thing. I loved Dead Rising (one of my favorites on the system) and Capcom has been one of my favorite producers since the original Resident Evil. So many moves for control of companies. Well, if Microsoft bought Bungie and now possibly Capcom, I think the most logical question is "who next?". Maybe they could buy EA and turn the company into something worth owning. heh

Interesting turn of events in any case.

-EDIT-
My only "downer" on this one would be no Resident Evil on the Wii. I was rather looking forward to seeing what Capcom could do for the RE series with the Wii control scheme. It's certainly improved my enjoyment of CoD3 100 fold...

Myncy
01-12-2007, 08:22 PM
The link isn't working for me.

This would be great if true, and Xbox would take a huge stride over Playstation. RE, DR, and DMC would be a big boost for Xbox.

Spartan
01-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I really hope this is true. I love the Resident Evil series and would really like to see it come to the 360!

Wreckon Dracgon
01-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Ohh man I hope this turns out to be true. I just had thoughts of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo on the XBLA... although Capcom should be doing this even if M$ doesn't purchase them.

graemelunn
01-12-2007, 09:32 PM
This could be absolutely huge. I've been told that my local Game stores have been experiencing a decline in PS3 "interest registrations" with every passing rumour.
This could be quite a large nail in the Sony coffin.
Think Sony were banking on brand/customer loyalty and people would hang on for PS3. In my experience, in the raging inferno of retail, brand/customer loyalty is just a smoking ember.

And Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Wreckon???? Well that might just be worth another overnight gaming marathon! lol

JonnyC VT
01-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Resident Evil 5 was going to be released for both PS3 and X360 same date and time. There was a preview for it in a Game Informer about a year ago with versions released for each format, but we all know how changes occur in the game industry. Here's hoping its true however, because I'd love for my sweet sweet XBOX to eat away on the few remaining exclusive titles for the PS3!

graemelunn
01-12-2007, 09:43 PM
I believe that Sony had a short time period exclusivity on RESI. I think eventually that we will see an end to exclusivity deals of any kind as development costs for new media rise and publishers look to glean as much profit as possible from their franchises.

S The Gangsta
01-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Rumor has it once again that Microsoft has purchased Dead Rising publishers Capcom. According to so called insiders, Microsoft has nearly acquired the group. Remember these insiders say NEARLY and it's most likely a load of BS.
Then again, a good chunk of that success can certainly be attributed to Microsoft's platform (Dead Rising again, and Lost Planet). Still, we find it hard to believe that Capcom would give up all the multiplatform cash, but if anyone has enough money to convince them otherwise, it's Microsoft. If true, it would be quite a move by MS, securing them the rights to several of gaming's most popular franchises. The ramifications of having Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Onimusha, Street Fighter, and Dead Rising exclusive to one console would be staggering, especially for the competition.

Source: http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/01/12/rumor-ms-has-purchased-capcom/

babyfarmer
01-12-2007, 10:54 PM
So is it just a rumor or is it true? Wasn't the rumor earlier this week that MS was buying Konami? I'll believe it when I see it. Although it would be pretty sweet to have RE5 for the 360.

IMportdreams95
01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
this would be so sweet if its true. we will have to wait and see

ThaMyth
01-13-2007, 06:35 AM
indeed that would be huge huge HUGE

Korix
01-13-2007, 08:02 AM
This can only be good news for us... THE GAMERS!!!!

No, it wouldn't. Exclusives suck for gamers. Exclusives help companies and their investors, that's it. Thanks to Capcom being money-hungry, they jumped ship on a promise to Nintendo, but that ended up being good for the kids with only a PS2 in the house. It'll help Microsoft-only kids now, but only at the expense of many others.

graf1k
01-13-2007, 10:20 AM
I really hope this is true. I love the Resident Evil series and would really like to see it come to the 360!

RE5 will be on 360 regardless.

As for the rumor, I'll wait for confirmation, but if this is true it would definitely be a loss for Sony and a win for 360 owners. The first thing MS would need to do if they did buy Capcom is to start porting that DMC4 code for the 360. The second thing they would need to do is re-open Clover and get them working on a 360 version of Okami and a full-on next generation sequel.

slowpantz
01-14-2007, 04:21 AM
On gamespot.com they have an article on this and Capcom said they were not purchased

Webb
01-14-2007, 04:26 AM
Yeah, heard it was, actually quite suprised that no one posted it!

Either way, as long as DMC4 comes to 360, I'll be happy :D

Malosovich
01-17-2007, 12:04 AM
I hope not.

This is a great move for all the ignorant fan boys, but Microsoft will just end up being the console equivilant of EA if they go around buying up developers.

Lets hope Capcom doesn't fall to peices like Rare did when MS bought them.

I don't care about the console and all this exclusivity bullshit. I just want the game. I don't care who else has it.

TheBiffTannen
01-17-2007, 12:19 AM
I'd love to see this happen! Bring on Resident Evil and DMC.

Kaens
01-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Lets hope Capcom doesn't fall to peices like Rare did when MS bought them.
Rare fell apart before MS bought them, it was just not as obvious. Nintendo was smart to dump them when they did, and for $330 million if I remember correctly. Let me point to the huge flops Star Fox Adventures (Gamecube) and Grabbed by the Ghoulies (Xbox). I think the bigger problem in these buyouts is that the key people who made the company desirable in the first place are the people who get rich, cash out, and go make another company. Other companies MS has bought to fill out their first party stables have done just fine. If MS could buy Capcom or Konami it would be good for us 360 owners because they are talented people and first party developers tend to get more money and more time because they have the parent company to shelter them. This allows them to make better games, which is what MS/Nintendo/Sony want because it's these exclusive titles that sell the consoles and set them apart. Nintendo has survived total abandonment by the 3rd parties on the strength of 1st party titles.

PerpetualHeaven
01-17-2007, 02:28 AM
I think Rare is doing fine and Capcom would be an amazing addition. Capcom has so many great titles that could make Microsoft unbeatable.

Fonkey Monkey
01-17-2007, 03:21 AM
Yea this was just a lame rumor. There was an article on Gamespot the other day :rolleyes:
And on the whole Rare thing. I'd hardly call them falling apart. They've released 2 great games and 1 medicore game for the 360. I'd hardly call that falling apart.

PerpetualHeaven
01-17-2007, 03:35 AM
Yea this was just a lame rumor. There was an article on Gamespot the other day :rolleyes:
And on the whole Rare thing. I'd hardly call them falling apart. They've released 2 great games and 1 medicore game for the 360. I'd hardly call that falling apart.

I'm assuming you think PDZ is mediocre?
I thought that game was incredible. All the games they've released have been a huge hit.

Fonkey Monkey
01-17-2007, 03:44 AM
yea, I thought it was okay, but nothing mind blowing.
Whereas, Viva pinata is amazing, and Kameo is extremely good imo
So idk how people think they've fallen off.

Morkoc96
01-17-2007, 06:49 AM
WOW! but i dont know how true this is.

Kaens
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
PDZ, Kameo & Viva. Personally I love the last two, enjoyed the first one. However, that being said, I don't think any of those titles met it's internal goals and certainly none of them matched the sales/critical success of Goldeneye, Donkey Kong Country or Banjo.

What I like doesn't mean crap, it's all about sales.

xR33F3Rx
01-18-2007, 01:31 AM
yea! now i know that 360 will have re5 for sure. haha sony fanboys

Baboonballs
01-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Man if it's true, a Mega man game for the 360? Hell yeah! because mega man 64 just sucked, and mega man can't go out like that.

KilluhKam
01-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah, heard it was, actually quite suprised that no one posted it!

Either way, as long as DMC4 comes to 360, I'll be happy :D

as far as i know, DMC4 is a PS3 exclusive game

DMC4 will be one of the reasons i get a PS3, along with the other Exclusive titles that are on it

Monsterbox
01-19-2007, 12:32 PM
DMC4 will be one of the reasons i get a PS3, along with the other Exclusive titles that are on it
What else is left?

KilluhKam
01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
What else is left?

what do you mean? what other exclusive titles?