PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers "Discworld"..?

FYC Punker
07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone has played this playstation one classic..?

Iam keeping my fingers crossed for a port or even remake to the XBLA

(And yes its a different game but the same type as monkey island...a little off topic and i hope the mods dont close.)

EDIT:: It has one long ass intro skip to 6:00.

YouTube - The Game Replay: Discworld Part 1

tastefulmrship
07-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Nah, I always hated Pratchett! I was more of an Eddings or Adams fan!
If you want SERIOUSLY odd, olde adventure games, you should try DARKSEED; a game based around the artistic brilliance of H.R.Giger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Seed_(video_game)

(Serve yourself, Mr. Dawson!)

KNUCKS x360a
07-14-2009, 06:26 AM
As I type this i'm looking at Moving Pictures, Witches Abroad, Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music & Men at Arms!... Terry Pratchett books are still great!..:)
Discworld would be a great Title to import over!

luccini
07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Can't say i've played it, but it rings a bell so i have prob seen someone playing it,
Personily i'd love to see simon the sourcerer 1 come out on xla.
That was a awesome game not that long tho

Feener278
07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Can't say i've played it, but it rings a bell so i have prob seen someone playing it,
Personily i'd love to see simon the sourcerer 1 come out on xla.
That was a awesome game not that long tho
I always felt sorry for that guy who lived in the swamp and had no friends, then made you some awful soup or some such.

OniZuka311
07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I loved both of the games. That and "spy fox" or "fox hunt" (I can't remember, it used actual video and you had to find clue kinda like a point and click) were my favorite games for ps1. Back when the ps1 games had that huge case.

sweatdog
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I rented it back in the day and got some good chuckles out of it. I'd probably give it another look if it became available.

dtolley
07-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Discworld was such a great game. Part 2 (Mortality Bites) was decent as well, but not quite par with the first. It's games like this that keep me playing older stuff & wishing companies now could be as creative as they were then.

slimeball16
07-14-2009, 11:18 PM
I love all the discworld series and the game was brilliant and very funny! I agree i hope for a port to XBA too. It remind me alot of Simon the Sourcerer, really hope that gets ported also!

reaper527
07-15-2009, 02:34 AM
if we are talking about games similar to monkey island, i strongly suggestion everyone go out and find a copy of blazing dragons for the ps1. its the best non-lucasarts adventure game i've ever played

dtolley
07-15-2009, 03:41 AM
if we are talking about games similar to monkey island, i strongly suggestion everyone go out and find a copy of blazing dragons for the ps1. its the best non-lucasarts adventure game i've ever played

Blazing Dragons was pretty good too, but Cheech got a little annoying.

SK L4xX
07-15-2009, 05:25 AM
LOL i just played Discworld 1 last week again!!! I Love all 3 Discworld Games

Faithxchaos
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I loved the discworld games, and have just started reading the books (which are also awesome!). I also really liked Simon the Sorcerer, Loom and Full Throttle...would be amazing if they brought any of those classics to XBLA.

MisterSquidward
07-15-2009, 11:25 AM
How about broken sword 1 and 2 people? Them 2 games were fantastic!!!

[Waggly Bean]
07-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Discworld 1 and 2 were both pretty good games. Not amazing though.

Simon the Sorcerer was definitely better.

And I have a weird soft spot for Blazing Dragons for some reason... fond memories! ;)

Richie Sambuca
07-15-2009, 03:33 PM
If you want SERIOUSLY odd, olde adventure games, you should try DARKSEED; a game based around the artistic brilliance of H.R.Giger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Seed_(video_game)

(Serve yourself, Mr. Dawson!)

I've never played Discworld either, but I'm with this guy. Darkseed was a cool, weird game. Being a fan of H.G. Giger, it was so disturbing seeing so many of his well-known paintings actually move. Creepy.

Chrono180
07-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I love the discworld books, but the game required some insane leaps of "logic" even by discworld standards. The situation that sticks out the most in my mind was when you had to get a robe from a monk. You think you could knock out the monk or somesuch, right? NOPE! You have to go back in time, stuff a frog in your past self's mouth, then catch a quantum weather butterfly, then put the butterfly in a lamppost so a cloud will form in the present day and rain on the monk, only THEN can you get the robe from the place he hung it. I mean seriously, there is a fine line between being unorthidox and being driven by moon logic.

Lebowski
07-26-2009, 03:19 PM
In my honest opinion Discworld is much better than Monkey Island.

Especially loved Discworld 2

ChumbaWumba91
07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I loved both of the games. That and "spy fox" or "fox hunt" (I can't remember, it used actual video and you had to find clue kinda like a point and click) were my favorite games for ps1. Back when the ps1 games had that huge case.

haha spy fox was awesome! and discworld aswell, XBLA port would be amazing!

FOX-Inc.
08-01-2009, 02:25 AM
I don't recall Discworld being as big a succes as Monkey Island, it wasn't one of the LucasArts 'greatest' either. It was a fun game, but if I could pick one adventure to make its comeback, it would definitely be Grim Fandango!

Por la Revolución! :cool:

Kez07
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I hope they do MI2 and both Simon games.

SzilardUK
11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I liked the game, though it was way too easy if you had read the book. Another classic I liked a lot was The Legend of Kyrandia. The first adventure game I played on PC. :)

SickSiD0
03-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Love the Discworld books and enjoyed the games, it would be nice to port them to the XBLA.

I'd also like the first 2 Broken Sword games.......they were great!

Biohazrd85
03-21-2010, 04:23 AM
I hope after the monkey island games, they start working on a Day of The Tentacle port or remake. That would be so cool :D

DogPoloni
03-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I hope after the monkey island games, they start working on a Day of The Tentacle port or remake. That would be so cool :D

I was wondering exactly the same thing after opening this thread. Either that or Grim Fandango, those games were awesome.

Goots 88
04-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I recently downloaded it on a PS1 computer mod, by far my favorite adventure game of all time. I remember staying up in Elementary School with my older brothers trying to figure out some of the puzzles for hours. Definitely a classic and will forever be in my Top 3 games of all time.

Kroesis
05-28-2010, 05:16 PM
I actually have both games working on my PC via an emulator (I have the actual CD's but they won't work with XP or Vista). Yes the puzzles are a lot more challenging to the point of WTF! but I love all the humour and wit that Pratchett stuffs into his stories. I'm a massive fan of his books and would also like to see a MI style Special Editions of Discworld 1 and 2.

Also I'd like to see other point and click games I've had in the past given the SE magic such as the Broken Swords and even Star Trek (25th Anniversary and TNG: A Final Unity) Any of them would be instabuys for me.

nemeton
06-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I remember Discworld, t'was voiced by Eric Idle from Monty Python, which just made it even better ! Does anyone remember the original discworld video game on the C64 though.

Scnew
06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Love the Discworld books, enjoyed the game, but really, better then Monkey Island? Like someone said earlier, there are some "puzzles" in Discworld that can only be solved via trial and error, no logic to them at all.

amusedparrot
07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I was wondering exactly the same thing after opening this thread. Either that or Grim Fandango, those games were awesome.

To be honest any of those would be fantastic. I never actually finished discworld because of a problem with it on my PC. It would not allow me to carry out the final actions in the game. None the less great fun.

I remember being on the phone to my friend for like 2 hours talking him through Day of the Tentacle. Those were some absolute classics.

I still quote Discworld to this day "Ive been up and down the stairs like one of the children's toys on a string", "A Kite?"

Sambuca Queen
07-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Ive still got Discworld 2: Missing Persumed for the PS1. Had the first one, but I think I traded in like an idiot!!!

CashlessGecko
07-09-2010, 02:26 AM
I absolutely adored the old Discworld games! That much that just this year i repurchased both one and two for the Pc, got a program that allowed them to run on Vista and spent many, many hours laughing like hell at the pure hilarity in which these games hold. It's very rare that a game can make you laugh like that, but Discworld was just a bridge apart from others.

I'd definately buy them if they came out in Xbla. But the only thing i could see is maybe they are a bit too long for an Arcade Title? I mean i can't remember the exact length but they are a good bit longer than Monkey Island I THINK. I can't be too sure but i'm fairly confident that it's longer. But still i think we should try bring that up for ideas on New Arcade Titles!

Also, somebody mentioned Broken Sword! That is still to this day going on and although the games aren't as good, it's nice to see them still being made!

francisrossi
07-22-2010, 11:49 PM
How about broken sword 1 and 2 people? Them 2 games were fantastic!!!

Hell yeah. I love the Broken Sword games. I've got all four of them, 1, 2 and 4 on PC, 3 on the Xbox.

Just wondering if anyone has played this playstation one classic..?

Iam keeping my fingers crossed for a port or even remake to the XBLA

(And yes its a different game but the same type as monkey island...a little off topic and i hope the mods dont close.)

EDIT:: It has one long ass intro skip to 6:00.

YouTube - The Game Replay: Discworld Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a_6v8HM9cA)

I have Discworld for the PC. Have to run it in a weird way as it's so old, but it runs fine once you're in. Would love a tarted up version. Hopefully they have the original voice sessions somewhere, as the files in the game are piss-poor quality, and Jon Pertwee's been dead for 14 years, so he can't really re-record his dialogue.

gazmaster1
01-16-2011, 09:37 PM
one of if not my first ps1 games, took me a long, long time to complete due to the insane puzzles but funny as hell. i really hope one day that it is ported to xbla but i doubt it.

ringmaster411
02-06-2011, 01:41 PM
What no love for the "other" discworld game?

Discworld Noir was/is one of my favourite ever games, and needs to be ported to the arcade.

Huxy87
05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Yea i remember that game along with DW2! one of the hardest bran teasing games ever, not for the faint hearted thats for sure!

SzilardUK
06-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah. I remember playing it on PC. It was hilarious. :)