PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry IP Roadmap - credit where credit's due?

x Infidel 72 x
07-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I've recently started a new Gamertag after my old one (Me55iah) was "abused" by a family member - anyway, I wrote a Roadmap for the original Far Cry which has been reworded and submitted by somebody else who has been given credit for it in the guide (eskEMO).

I can understand that whoever promoted "my" guide to the roadmap didn't have the time to check things out properly but I'm a bit upset that the so called author gave me no credit at all - the author does not even have all the achievements (only around half) so I don't see how he can be in a position to offer valuable knowledge and experience of the game to others.

Can this be rectified? I'm not seeking any "glory" for my guide, I've found the guides on here very useful in the past and it was my way of giving something back - cases like this will deter me and I'm sure others of submitting material like this in the future.

Method
07-14-2009, 12:16 PM
1. Is this the road map you're referring to?
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120184

If you visited the walkthrough here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109782) and read it you would've have found this:
DO NOT MAKE A THREAD FOR YOUR ROAD MAP IN THE GAME'S FORUM2. I'm not sure how you can say eskEMO's and yours are the same thing, especially since you never submitted anything. Also, no one except you has brought forward a single complaint about his map so I assume there's no mistakes on it. If eskEMO didn't credit you then I'm assuming he didn't use your work to make the map.

3. You're not allowed to have multiple accounts on x360a.

Me55iah
07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
1. Is this the road map you're referring to?
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120184

If you visited the walkthrough here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109782) and read it you would've have found this:

2. I'm not sure how you can say eskEMO's and yours are the same thing, especially since you never submitted anything. Also, no one except you has brought forward a single complaint about his map so I assume it's working.

3. You're not allowed to have multiple accounts on x360a.

1. Yes

2. eskEMO hasn't even finished the game, he has posted in the thread I started but it looks like he's reworded it to get a badge in my opinion. I also think that some of the advice given in the "official" roadmap is very longwinded, not exactly the quickest way to get the cheevs which shows his inexperience with the title.

Surely posting the guide counts as submission - I can accept that I perhaps did not go through a correct process, but at the time I wrote it I think the instructions were rather vague, OK so someone has noticed my error and put it through the correct procedure, but's a bit unfair to take full credit for it.

As long as the map works then I'm not suprised no complaints have been made - and I doubt anybody really cares about who wrote it to notice.

3. Other account will be deleted shortly - apologies.

Whatever the outcome, I still feel a little cheated... as I said, I didn't do it for any special recognition on the site, I wrote it because I liked the game so much I felt I could offer some worthwhile advice, whether eskEMO was acting in good intentions or not, it doesnt change how I feel.

x Infidel 72 x
07-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Argh - didn't realise I was logged in as old account - can I delete it myself or do I need mod assistance?

Method
07-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Surely posting the guide counts as submission. No it does not and to quote the road map you wroteFirst Draft - Comments / Corrections Welcome! Obviously this is why we don't want road maps in the forums. People think that because they have it in the forums that I will swoop down and put it on the main site. This is incorrect. There are way too many forums for me to patrol each one hoping to find a road map someone posted. The guidance that's on the walkthrough has been the same as it is now from day one so I don't feel that it was ever vague, especially when you wrote your map.

The only thing I can tell you is contact eskEMO and ask him if he used your product in any way. If he contacts me and says so I have no problem giving out credit to both of you.

x Infidel 72 x
07-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I can appreciate that you have a lot to police, I don't wish to suggest that "you have nothing better to do" so if I have said otherwise it was not intentional.

As you have pointed out, I noted it as a draft and that it would be updated - which I have not done due to being very busy at home myself, I did intend to leave it there for comments / input from other players who may know of quicker ways to get the achievements than I do - so it was left to be given the chance to be as good a guide as it could - I accept that it was remiss of me to leave it so long before getting back to it - but that shouldn't mean someone else could just move in on it.

I don't see any reason for this to escalate, I don't intend to contact eskEMO - I'll leave things as they are, as I said earlier, I'm not looking for any kudos but lets just say that this leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I may think twice before submitting something similar in the future...