PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on MP characters?

CutmanMike
07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I know most of you probably rented this game for the achievements, but I bought it and will keep it simply because the multiplayer is damn addicting.

Anyway, what do people think of the balance in this game? I think it's fairly balanced but a few classes people tend to use over others and coincidentally seem to win a lot more. I tend to stick with Ironhide and Grindor.

Ironhide I feel I can kill anyone with, except maybe a Starscream or Breakaway staying in the skies. His shotguns take people down in seconds if you're close, and his grenades are as vicious as all hell. They go really far too, I've managed to hit decepticons hiding behind buildings recovering, by bouncing grenades off the end-wall barrier. Along with his turret which REALLY hurts, Ironhide is easily the strongest character in the game weapon wise. His mobility you'd think would be hindered because of this, but he's actually pretty quick.

Grindor I find is pretty powerful and fun to play as. His vehicle mode is pretty crap because he's such a huge target in the air, and he isn't as fast as the jets. His missiles are pretty decent though, and are great for a missile, shockwave, gatling gun combo. I can never tell if his turret is actually good or not. Anyway if you can get used to shockwaving the floor and finishing people off with your gatling gun, you can pretty much take down any ground targets. Ariel targets are a bit harder to take down but you can really have some fun dogfighting other players, and it's usually the best way to go.

Optimus Prime. One word: SHIELD! At first I thought the shield was a bit crap because the damage boost isn't really that impressive. However, it can pretty much turn the tide of any close range battle with a decepticon. You can chase an optimus prime, gunning him down, and he'll turn around, shield up and laugh the damage away while he rips you up. Never underestimate his damn shield. His weapons are pretty standard, rapid fire and charge up shots. People who are good at aiming with charge shots will make quick work of you. Personally I stick to rapid fire and keeping my distance until they get close, then SHIEELLD.

Bumblebee I find pretty good, if not a bit weak in the defencive department. I find he dies real quick, so I tend to not melee with him at all. However, he's extremely good at taking down aerial targets. You can pump out missile after missile and jets will have to constantly dance in the sky to avoid them. His special stun move is pretty cool. Since he's fast, I tend to drive up to my enemies, stun them and unload missiles into their face and try to finish them off with my machine gun. Trust me, driving off a building into the air and stunning a jet before finishing them off is the best thing ever.

Megatron plays a lot like Optimus. Basically instead of a shield you get this HUGE attack which kills anything in one hit. It even has splash damage, and can really harm anyone near the blast. People with good aim and prediction will slaughter with Megatron's big beam thing (I should really learn the names). Megatron's plasma attack is short range, which is where Optimus proves better. However his vehicle form is not to be messed with, let me tell ya. That tank is DEADLY if you can aim with it. This one guy was chasing around all day with that damn tank in one shall stand, and he obliterated us.

Sideways is another fun (annoying if you're fighting him) character who should be used for hit and run because he's so small and damn fast. If you can slide around building through the alleyways you'll have no problem getting out of a situation alive. Anyway, his sniper rifle is the best weapon in the game if you can aim well with it. Headshots means instant death most of the time, so always aim for the head. His mines are handy but I have a lot of trouble finding a good place to put them. I usually plant them behind me in case anyone sneaks up while I'm sniping, but a good tactic is to save them for your escape and plant them while driving away. His machinegun isn't worth thinking about, but overall Sideways is a pretty flimsy character. Use him with care and always watch your back, and you'll be dangerous.

I haven't really played enough with the others. What do you guys think? Who do you use and why? Do you think anyone is underpowered or overpowered? :)

CunningFox
07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I have played a lot of the multiplayer and I find Optimus and Protectobot to be ridiculously overpowered!

Optimus' shield protects you from almost anything and makes his melee attacks more powerful. His secondary weapon kills in about 2 headshits when half charged which isn't hard to do and his vehicle spees is decennt enough to make a quick getaway.

Protectobot is just too good in every way!
He has long range auto shotguns.
He has hellfire missiles.
His special blinds nearby enemies.
His vehicle is very very fast. (Even comes with the siren when you boost)

Megatron on the other hand isn't that good.
You would think his special would be amazing since it can get a one hit kill but you can hear it charging up from a mile away and it is very easy avoid whether it be rolling or hiding.
His tank is far too slow and his standard weapons just feel too cumbersome to use. They overheat far too fast.

And if you think that Ironhide is good. Try Long Haul.
He is pretty much the same but the grenades can reach a long range if you are a good shot and his ability is to heal himself and others around him.

CutmanMike
07-15-2009, 10:28 AM
I Dunno Long Haul's grenades fire faster but don't seem to reach as far. Many people don't realise this and I just hover around as Grindor and make them eat missiles.

I agree with the Protectobot, he seriously needs a nerf. I did 3 v 3 team deathmatch and the autobots were all protectobots. The final score for both matches was like 20 - 3. He's just so damn fast and those missile hurt sooooo much.

I also find a lot of people use Seeker. His machinegun thing hurts quite a lot too.

CunningFox
07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I Dunno Long Haul's grenades fire faster but don't seem to reach as far. Many people don't realise this and I just hover around as Grindor and make them eat missiles.

I agree with the Protectobot, he seriously needs a nerf. I did 3 v 3 team deathmatch and the autobots were all protectobots. The final score for both matches was like 20 - 3. He's just so damn fast and those missile hurt sooooo much.

I also find a lot of people use Seeker. His machinegun thing hurts quite a lot too.

With Long Haul's grenades you need to take into account the firing arc and fire fully charged ones above the target.

Grindor and Seeker's missiles are easy to avoid by rolling though.
You can't lock onto a rolling or dodging target and then Protectobot can use this to get close with the Hellfire missiles.

RedNight
07-17-2009, 09:28 PM
i always hide and snipe with sideways and run if i get followed

Kai Freefall
07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Q. whats the seekers special actually do, i have used it a couple of times but nothing ever seems to happen, and, why didn't they just call him skywarp ;).

CutmanMike
07-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Apparently you teleport away. I've seen others do it but I've never pulled it off myself.

Spawnus
07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Apparently you teleport away. I've seen others do it but I've never pulled it off myself.

He does TP away but the distance isnt that much as far as I'm aware.