PDA

View Full Version : Grim fandango cameo (not achievement related)

knil
07-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Just caught a grim fandango cameo in monkey island, towards the end of act 3. Anyone else find any new added in nods/cameos?

http://img140.yfrog.com/img140/660/img0100p.jpg

metallicorphan
07-17-2009, 01:37 AM
nice catch,i didn't notice that on my playthru

gardenweasel
07-17-2009, 01:44 AM
The man in the troll costume this time is George Lucas..

metallicorphan
07-17-2009, 01:57 AM
oh i did notice that...so who was it first time?

Pixelated Punk
07-17-2009, 02:39 AM
nice find.

Rooster425
07-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Could this imply some more redone adventure games coming to the Arcade? I'd assume the game's selling well enough to at least warrant some interest.

tastefulmrship
07-17-2009, 05:50 AM
I was disappointed that LucasArts REMOVED the Sam & Max idol at the GIGANTIC MONKEY HEAD shrine! Surely they still own the IP?

(The 'Manny in Hell' was hinted at during E3!)

Zee
07-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Nope they don't, Telltell does. They did replace it with Day of the Tentacle though, and it is still there in the VGA version.

artphobia
07-17-2009, 08:09 AM
The man in the troll costume this time is George Lucas..

It was said to be him to begin with though ;)

freemonk
07-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I think that Lucas Arts don't own the rights to Sam and Max now, as Telltale games have been doing the new episodes.

So does that mean Telltale games own the rights for Sam and Max? Maybe.

Halfang
07-19-2009, 03:40 AM
It was said to be him to begin with though ;)

Yep, but too many pixels make difficult to differentiate him :)

Also, laughed at the substitution of sam&max for dott

AOSKINS
07-21-2009, 04:27 AM
It's funny, they cut Sam and Max, but if you watch the original version of the credits they mention them as 'appearing courtesy of', just more 'legalese'.:)

jab1981
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
As I understand it the artist and creator, Steve Purcell controls those characters. It was by his deal running out with LucasArts that he was able to create new games with TellTale. TellTale doesn't own Sam and Max, they just have the deal with Steve Purcell at the moment.

This is why Sam and Max was made without LucasArts involvement, but Monkey Island (and any other noteworthy graphic adventure from LucasArts) needs to have them involved. Sam and Max was the one franchise that LucasArts doesn't own the IP for.

All that said, I don't think this is why the reference was removed from the game. It's certainly possible. But at this point it would appear that LucasArts has invested the future of the Monkey Island franchise with TellTale, as all the new Monkey Island games are being made by TellTale. It seems hard to believe they'd be holding a grudge with a company they're working with so closely and trusting one of their golden franchises to. I'm sure a deal could've been worked out. Perhaps it's a hint of what's to come... A New Maniac Mansion/DOTT perhaps?

Asgorath
07-26-2009, 03:14 PM
It's funny, they cut Sam and Max, but if you watch the original version of the credits they mention them as 'appearing courtesy of', just more 'legalese'.:)

As already said by somebody else, they didn't really cut it. They replaced it by a Day of the Tentacle Icon and if you check it in the old version mode that day of the tentacle icon becomes a sam and max icon again. It's probably mostly to do with hinting at a possible re-make of Day of the Tentacle me things.

The Grim Fandango one I didn't spot. really well spotted and perhaps also a hint at things to come!

DecayeDPiGSpiNE
12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
For the love of god bring Grim Fandango to the Live Arcade!!!!

captainpiccard
05-22-2011, 07:36 PM
I think when you get your pieces of eight with the Fetucinni brothers, when you are upside down and one of the speech options is "Im Bobby, are you my mother?" is a reference to LOOM. I am not 100% sure about this, as I haven't played LOOM in like, 7 million years...