PDA

View Full Version : Will Marty be fired?

messym
01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
His relationship w/ the front office has been pretty rough this season. I could see him losing his job after this game. A lot of bad decisions were made from a coaching perspective. Going for it on 4th & 11, calling T.O. on strip fumble when it was clear that it was. These two plays alone could have generated the tying FG. I know that he put it in the hands of his offensive and defensive coordiators but isn't it the HC's job to step in and make the final call? Had he lost in a different manner I think that he would have salvaged another season w/ the team but, this game really came down to coaching decisions. Therefore, I think he is gone. In addition, Cam Cameron is going to be a strong candidate for HC position elsewhere next year. What do you guys think?

RadicalSniper99
01-15-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't think he will be fired this year. It was a sad loss, but I feel his resume is too strong to just let him go this year. It takes time to get everything right, and maybe this year just wasn't the one. I'd look into next year. Problem is, I'd be a little worried about a certain video game curse coming into the future of a certain Charger RB.

Shaaady Souljah
01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
The Chargers were 14-2. I would hope a coach that leads a team to 14 wins and then a close playoff loss to a dynasty (or at least the closest thing to one in recent years.) would not lose his job because he hasn't won a big one yet. At least he can take them to the big one...

Manning is finally winning the big games, and the Colts did not cut him when he kept putting together strong seasons only to lose...

babyfarmer
01-15-2007, 11:03 PM
From what I understand, the relationship between Schottenheimer and GM AJ Smith is practically nonexistent. IIRC, when Smith was hired he wanted to fire Schottenheimer but decided to keep him around. But they haven't seen eye to eye on alot of things, most notably letting Drew Brees leave last year. This loss is just an excuse for Smith to fire Schott, which I think he will do.

messym
01-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Looks like Marty will be around for another year but Cam is off to Miami.

PerpetualHeaven
01-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey if you want the chargers to fail, fire Marty. That would be the stupidest thing to do. It wasn't his fault. The guy who intercepted, ran for it and fumbled. It happens!

scoobydiesel
01-31-2007, 06:32 AM
I would laugh if they fired him, would have been one of the stupidest moves in NFL history

RadicalSniper99
01-31-2007, 01:30 PM
I would laugh if they fired him, would have been one of the stupidest moves in NFL history

I don't know. History has not been on his side. Maybe hiring some young guy nobody heard of could work. Just look at all the different coaches this season who have been able to really put together a great season. Just somebody with a little more common sense. LT could have won that game if he carried the ball a few more times every drive. Marty's not bad, but he seems to only be able to get the team to play up to a certain level. Hiring someone new might be a good idea.

Not going to happen though.

PerpetualHeaven
01-31-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't know. History has not been on his side. Maybe hiring some young guy nobody heard of could work. Just look at all the different coaches this season who have been able to really put together a great season. Just somebody with a little more common sense. LT could have won that game if he carried the ball a few more times every drive. Marty's not bad, but he seems to only be able to get the team to play up to a certain level. Hiring someone new might be a good idea.

Not going to happen though.

Dude, it wasn't marty's fault come on. You can't fire someone who just gave you the best record in the league. If they fire him, a million other teams will pay him millions upon millions to get him. He's probably a top 5 coach in the league.

And how many more carries does LT need? 23 carries is a lot. He had more rushing attempts then the entire Patriots team. Also, during the 4th quarter where Brady got his touchdown around 6 minutes or so, McCree intercepted him and fumbled it giving Brady fresh new set of downs. So hows that marty's fault?

Again, no other coach could coach the chargers to a 14-2 record. Marty is their man, and it wasn't his fault. It's a team game and a team fault. There are Offensive and Defensive Co-ordinators for a reason. Why are they not to blame? If anyone fired a coach who got them to 14-2, they would be labelled as insane. Winning 14 games in the NFL is a tough thing to do.

RadicalSniper99
01-31-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm not saying the Chargers didn't mess up, but come on. Marty has yet to win it all. He has taken some of the best teams in the league to the playoffs and can't win even one playoff game most of the time. Marty just can't coach the playoffs like he does the regular season. 14-2 is a great record. I won't argue that, but without any playoff wins; it's meaningless. This team was the Super Bowl favorite, but they couldn't convert on anything. Sure the team messed up, but the head coach needs to have the right gameplan when things go wrong. Or when, they find something that works, they need to try and exploit that advantage they have. And I'm sorry, but LT is the greatest advantage any team could have. He is that great of a player. Running wins championships.

PerpetualHeaven
01-31-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm not saying the Chargers didn't mess up, but come on. Marty has yet to win it all. He has taken some of the best teams in the league to the playoffs and can't win even one playoff game most of the time. Marty just can't coach the playoffs like he does the regular season. 14-2 is a great record. I won't argue that, but without any playoff wins; it's meaningless. This team was the Super Bowl favorite, but they couldn't convert on anything. Sure the team messed up, but the head coach needs to have the right gameplan when things go wrong. Or when, they find something that works, they need to try and exploit that advantage they have. And I'm sorry, but LT is the greatest advantage any team could have. He is that great of a player. Running wins championships.

So how can you have a gameplan for a CB intercepting and fumbling? There's no planning for that. It's completely random. They were ahead by a touchdown at that point. Sure people say Marty should have told him to bat it down, but with 6ish minutes left, who the hell would bat down a pass when you could intercept it? That in no way was marty's fault. He had an awesome gameplan. It worked. It worked really really well. But some unfortunate incidents happened (i.e. fumbled interception) and that's something he can't control. That's upto the players. There's only so much Marty can do.

Also, it's like saying Tony Dungy should get fired, Reid from the eagles, etc. Sometimes it's tough to win in the playoffs. It's extremely unpredictable, but you cannot fire a coach that took you to 14-2. It's just insanity if you do. That shows he can pretty much coach his team to an undefeated season.

As for LT, you can only run him so much. He's human you know and has stamina. If you're constantly running him and not giving Rivers any passing, that could make progressing up the field an extremely slow process. It's also difficult to win a championship with a very unskilled QB. Phillip Rivers performed poorly during that game. 14/32 passes, 230 yards, 1 INT, and 1 FUM Lost. Is it Martys fault that Rivers couldn't follow throw in the late minutes to bring a 1st down and possibly win it for them? No, it's not. His team was leading.

Why not blame his offensive co-ordinator for not making plays that could work to Rivers advantage and possibly bring in a first down in the late minutes? Why not blame rivers? or Parker for fumbling? I mean all these things, I'm still surprised they lost by 3 and people continually blame Marty. I don't see how his gameplan didn't work. If anything, it was executed perfectly but again unfortunate things happen. You can't blame player mistakes on the coach. All he does is set up the gameplan and it's the players job to follow through. Rivers wasn't a good enough QB at the time to help them win against one of the best teams in the NFL.

If they fire Marty, I'd like to see how well the Chargers do. I don't think they'd do half as good as they did the past season.

RadicalSniper99
01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't know, but I was impressed by Rivers in that game. I don't think the bad numbers are completely his fault. Some of the situations he was in were because of the dropped passes by Charger WR's or TE's. I think Rivers did a lot better than the numbers say.

Look, I know that Marty shouldn't and won't be fired because of the 14-2 season. I'm moreso doing this to play Devil's Advocate. Nobody should seriously believe he should be fired.

O, and I actually do believe Andy Reid should be fired. If you look at this season, the Eagles turn around wasn't orchestrated by Reid. After the loss to the Titans the play calling switched to the Offensive Coordinator for the rest of the season. They played better ball the whole time. The Eagles might have won some of the games they played earlier in the season if someone else was calling the plays.

O, and I do live the Philly area, so I watched just about every game and post game press conference. In the conference after the Titan loss, a member of the press asked, "Who called the plays today?" This was after an impressive Eagle win without Reid calling the plays. He CHUCKLED and said he did.

PerpetualHeaven
01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Rivers numbers don't matter but in the last 4 minutes, he had 2 chances to get a first down from 5 yards. He didn't get those last 5 yards and that's it. He's an awesome QB don't get me wrong and he'll definitely be a pro bowler. It's just hard to win with a new QB. You need to let him develop. Perfect example would be Big Ben. First year he came in and they were winning like crazy. but they didn't win a bowl until recently. Why? Ben finally developed into a great QB. It's hard to win with an unexperienced QB. Ben had lots of playoff experience and eventually took his team to win the whole shaboozy.

I think next year, Chargers have a big chance at winning. I think they should definitely draft a new WR though. Their core is extremely weak. or maybe pick up some veterans off the free agent list assuming there are good veterans left. I think the whole dropping passes thing you brought up was a big factor also. I mean McCardell is getting old, Eric Parker is more of a number 2 or 3 and Vincent Jackson is "aight".

If they keep marty, I think they could win the Bowl next year. Assuming the GM does his job and brings some new and good players in.

RadicalSniper99
01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
The Charger receivers dropping the ball doesn't surprise me too much, but when I saw Gates drop some important passes I was freaking out. I had so much faith in him securing the game at some points that I was in shock seeing them lose in the end.

Big Ben did great to a win a Super Bowl his second year, but he didn't have a good game. If you look at his playoff passing statistics, they are nothing to be proud of.

PerpetualHeaven
01-31-2007, 07:29 PM
The Charger receivers dropping the ball doesn't surprise me too much, but when I saw Gates drop some important passes I was freaking out. I had so much faith in him securing the game at some points that I was in shock seeing them lose in the end.

Big Ben did great to a win a Super Bowl his second year, but he didn't have a good game. If you look at his playoff passing statistics, they are nothing to be proud of.

2005 Playoffs - Ben Roethlisberger - 5 games, 58/93, 62.3%, 803 yards, 7 TDs, 3 INTs, 0 Fumbles lost and 101.7 Passer Rating.

I think he has plenty to be proud of. 3 INTs in 5 games, especially in the Playoffs is incredible. Tom Brady has 3 alone against the Chargers and we're talking about Tom Brady here. Also, can't miss that pinpoint accuracy he displayed. 62.3%.. that's damn good.

2004 playoffs - 2 games, 31/54, 57.4%, 407 yards, 3 TDs, 5 ints, 1 Lost Fumble and 61.3 passer rating.

Notice the huge difference 1 year can make? First time you enter the playoffs as a new QB, I don't expect many to do amazing. Rex Grossman also isn't doing that well, and I didn't expect Rivers to do that well either. Unfortunately, Bears defense looked a lot better then the Chargers which is where the QB mistakes are made up. I think next year, Rivers can do a lot better provided he has the weapons. Ben had Hines Ward, Randle El, Burress, Miller, Willie Parker, and The Bus. A lot of offensive weapons compared to what Rivers has to work with.

All i'm saying is, it's hard to win with an inexperienced QB and Ben proved it. 1 trip to the playoffs can make a huge difference though. But we'll have to wait until next year to see how he does.

RadicalSniper99
01-31-2007, 07:38 PM
2005 Playoffs - Ben Roethlisberger - 5 games, 58/93, 62.3%, 803 yards, 7 TDs, 3 INTs, 0 Fumbles lost and 101.7 Passer Rating.

I think he has plenty to be proud of. 3 INTs in 5 games, especially in the Playoffs is incredible. Tom Brady has 3 alone against the Chargers and we're talking about Tom Brady here. Also, can't miss that pinpoint accuracy he displayed. 62.3%.. that's damn good.

Definently a much better 2nd season, but I was looking more into his Super Bowl performance that year.

Roethlisberger - 21 attempts, 9 completions, 123 yards, 0 Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions

On the road there he did great, but in the game he had a tough time getting anything together. I am in agreement though. A year can make a huge difference in the playoffs for a QB. Here's a thought: how will it affect Rex Grossman this weekend?

scoobydiesel
01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Hmm just a random 2 cents: Not a Big fan of Big Ben.

PerpetualHeaven
01-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Definently a much better 2nd season, but I was looking more into his Super Bowl performance that year.

Roethlisberger - 21 attempts, 9 completions, 123 yards, 0 Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions

On the road there he did great, but in the game he had a tough time getting anything together. I am in agreement though. A year can make a huge difference in the playoffs for a QB. Here's a thought: how will it affect Rex Grossman this weekend?

Rex Grossman is the perfect example of complete streakiness. I don't know how well he will do. He's too random but he's an INCREDIBLE QB. There's no doubt that when he's on, he's probably one of the best in the league. But when he's off, it's just ugly. He never has an "okay" game really. Maybe once in a while.

messym
02-13-2007, 03:58 AM
Marty was fired tonight. I could see this coming.

PerpetualHeaven
02-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Wow. All I have to say is a lot of teams are going to pay him a crap load of money to coach for them.

RadicalSniper99
02-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I saw the story and couldn't believe it had come to this. Marty is to good to have been fired I would have thought. It looks like this might be the perfect opening for the Broncos or Chiefs to win this next season.

I know changing coaches isn't enough, but Cutler may just be able to push the Broncos to being a great team.

BAD MOVE SAN DIEGO!!!

Cause
02-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Is this just me or is the Chargers retarded for doing this. Marty is a excellent coach. Best record in football, beat some best teams. Almost knocked patriots out of the playoffs. There isn't any good coaches out there right now. I just don't understand this move. Yes they didn't get along but that why you work on it. I know he's had the most consecutive losses in playoff history but still.

RadicalSniper99
02-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Is this just me or is the Chargers retarded for doing this. Marty is a excellent coach. Best record in football, beat some best teams. Almost knocked patriots out of the playoffs. There isn't any good coaches out there right now. I just don't understand this move. Yes they didn't get along but that why you work on it. I know he's had the most consecutive losses in playoff history but still.

It's really stupid for the Chargers. When a relationship is what results in your head coach being fired, you know there is a problem bigger than you think there is. I was annoyed with how the Chargers were beat in the playoffs, but the fact that Marty got fired isn't right. He did so much to help this team develop into a contender for the next few years.