PDA

View Full Version : Other MI games and more questions..

shinobigarth
07-28-2009, 02:15 AM
just beat the game for the first time (never played any MI before) and i really liked the game although its incredibly short. couple questions...

1. i now want to try out the other ones in the series. is there a place you can download the old games at?
2. are the other games longer or the same length?
3. after i got done playing, i had some items that i had never used once in the game, such as the Staple Remover thing. is it supposed to be like that or did i miss something?

FYC Punker
07-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I wanna know the same thing wtf is that for!??!!?

UnderDawg84
07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
(1. Monkey Island 2 will be on XBLA.) Maybe not. Can't find the article anymore.
2. MI2 is longer if I remember it right.
3. There is nothing you can miss.

Gazcobain
07-28-2009, 04:55 PM
1) You can find them online to download, but it's illegal to do so. Hopefully the second one is given the same treatment as the first one.

2) Yes, they're all longer than the first one.

3) There are a couple of joke items that you don't need, you get them when getting the Idol of Many Hands, like the Wax Lips, but the staple remover stays in your inventory for some reason. You don't need it for anything.

tastefulmrship
07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
You can use the STAPLE REMOVER on the dam to blow it up!

shinobigarth
07-28-2009, 09:39 PM
i found LeChuck's Revenge to download but thats it.

they should really release all the original games as a special set on DS. what with the stylus it would be perfect for them.

Gazcobain
07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
i found LeChuck's Revenge to download but thats it.

they should really release all the original games as a special set on DS. what with the stylus it would be perfect for them.
If you have an R4 Card you can download SCUMMVM for the DS and play them on it, that's what I do. There are a few good graphic adventures for the DS, you're spot on that the stylus makes for a great way to control them.

shinobigarth
07-29-2009, 02:37 AM
yeah i used SCUMM to play it on PC since when i tried to play without it (im running Windows 7) it didnt work worth crap even in compatibility mode (since Win 95 is the farthest back you can go). SCUMM is awesome.

actually if they did release on DS i would hope for a sort of remake instead of a port, because id like for the touch screen to be your inventory and actions and the top to show whats actually going on. but they would have to rework it as far as controlling Guybrush and clicking on things in the environment. maybe the screen and your inventory could flip flop when you pressed L or R so you could go between your inventory and the game?

OR

if they were remaking it anyway, they could just make it more like the remade version of the 1st game on XBLA and Steam where you can use the L and R buttons to bring up your actions and inventory, the D-pad to quick select actions and dialog options, and then just keep Guybrush on the touch screen all the time. the top screen would simply just display what items you had. actually thats better than the other idea.

Ibanez V7
07-29-2009, 03:44 AM
It wasn't considered a short game 16 or so years ago. It's considerably longer than Maniac Mansion. The series went downhill after the 2nd one though. Curse of MI had some moments (insult arm wrestling, ship battles at sea) but beyond that it's rather dull. They'd be better off remaking Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle.

Lucasarts often had items in their games that were required in another game. For instance there's a chainsaw in Maniac Mansion your character won't pick up because they complain there isn't any gas and in Zak McCracken there's a gas canister which Zak comments about not needing it for THIS game. The staple remover doesn't fall into that category though, I thought I'd just share some decades old game trivia.