PDA

View Full Version : What Makes You A Fan?

Gaiouken
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
The title really explains it all, i've been asked a few times, what is it that makes me a fan of 'insert series or game here'? and i can never answer because in reality i dont know what it is that makes me a fan, probly just because i own and enjoy the game?
any ideas?

oDrPepper
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Yep, I'd just say because you bought and enjoyed it, and think it was money well spent.

Exane22
08-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I usually become a fan of a game or series if its a fresh title to me, if they give me an awesome experience unlike any other game has given me. For instance I am a fan of Mirrors Edge, I absolutely loved it. Sure it wasn't perfect or the best game ever, but it was fresh to me and gave me a new experience as far as gameplay. Ill probably follow the shit out of the series if they decided to continue with it.

Dragonfire 360
08-03-2009, 11:19 PM
- Raving to friends about it.

- Putting a reserve on said game or its sequel.

- Owning things other than the game, but related to it. (Accessories, clothing, etc.)

- Arguing for it on an internet forum.

Pheonix_Assassin
08-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Yep, I'd just say because you bought and enjoyed it, and think it was money well spent.

I could not put it any better =)

That is basically what makes anybody a fan of a Game or a Game Series =D

Revolver
08-03-2009, 11:27 PM
The way I see it is that I know I'm a fan of a certain game when I tend to buy the same title for all available ports.
In my case it'd have to Resident Evil, I have every single title for every single console.
I got a copy of Code Veronica for the PS2, Gamecube, and Dreamcast (even though I don't have that console anymore!).
I'm even buying Resident Evil Archives as soon as I get home even though I already have RE and RE0 for the Gamecube!
I guess it also applies when I start buying anything related to the game.

True I Skill
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Well if you've brought it, Enjoyed it and willing to buy the Next game in the series, Then id say your a fan of that series. I recently became a fan of resident evil, I hardly own anything resident evil, But i still class myself as a fan because im really into the series, and some day hope to buy The resident evil games when i get some money together.

Deleted2014-12-02
08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
If it offers a better experience than its counterparts, than it's instantly a favorite.

Rock Band, for example.

VladimirK
08-03-2009, 11:53 PM

This, and if anyone says that you have to have played the first ones in a series or own the Collector's Edition or the merchandise then they are an elitist asshole tbh, just ignore them. :)

kevinbeck12713
08-04-2009, 03:09 AM
This, and if anyone says that you have to have played the first ones in a series or own the Collector's Edition or the merchandise then they are an elitist asshole tbh, just ignore them. :)

not necessarily, how can you be a fan of a series that you haven't fully played?

VladimirK
08-04-2009, 03:32 AM
not necessarily, how can you be a fan of a series that you haven't fully played?

Because you like the game?

Elitist assholes always say crap like that,
"Oh, you can't be a true fan. You've only played that one..."

So what?
Maybe it's because you were too young to play them then for example.

Melanopterus
08-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Honestly what makes me a fan of game is whether or not I realize how long I've been playing it for.

Case in point the first time I sat down and play Fallout 3 I did about three hours thinking it had only been an hour

If something can make me totally zone out on the amount of time I'm putting into it because I enjoy it so much I'm a fan

Xodiac8118
08-04-2009, 06:28 AM
I think a "fan" comes under multiple catergories. Like "Hardcore fan" which would have every game in the series on every platform, Call of Duty for example, CoD 1 through to pre-ordering Modern Warfare 2: Prestige Edition, Hardened edition and normal edition. ==== F*cking idiot with too much money.
"Moderate fan" Has the games but only has the original, e.g. Assassin's Creed 1 when it first came out not the classic edition (When looking for normal edition he doesn't get the game because only the classic is out) and Special editions of games, e.g Assassin's Creed II Black.
"Fan of above "fan" value" Has the game, always on it, always feels the urge to talk about it, knows most things about that game and will put in anything about that game as an argument against someone who has said something bad against that game.
"Fan" Generally likes the video game.
From my eyes anywho.

kevinbeck12713
08-06-2009, 03:44 AM

So what?

lets relax mmkay? You don't know me so don't talk about me, hinting that I'm an "elitist asshole."
You can be a fan of the game if you have played the game, but not the whole series. I have played Fallout 3, LOVED it, and am a fan of the GAME but i don't think i can call myself a fan of the series because I have never played the first two and they are probably different from the third. Hopefully there was a misunderstanding?

And like Xodiac said, there are levels of being a fan, I agree with that, but its hard to draw a line.

iKiddo
08-06-2009, 05:58 AM

So what?

If you were a fan, You would find a way.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x84/kane_bfm1/metalfan2403986ia0-1.jpg

catziIIa
08-06-2009, 06:11 AM
LOL this thread started a fight between like 5people also a fan is someone who enjoys the game and buys sequels and dlc for the game

VladimirK
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
LOL this thread started a fight between like 5people also a fan is someone who enjoys the game and buys sequels and dlc for the game

Haha, I'm not flaming btw before I start getting reported by people who disagree with my opinion, I'm just defending my opinion.
Just I know some real elitist jackasses and they really piss me off the way they act and so it's my opinion that you can still be called a fan without playing all of the games or owning the rarest most "bad boy", as the guy from IW says, edition of a game :biglaugh
After all, do we really need more elitism anywhere?

Louis BCFC1875
08-06-2009, 01:06 PM
For me it has to be the Story line, take classic game series like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil, all great storylines which make a fantastic play.

xbirdyx112
08-06-2009, 05:25 PM
WellI think a fan would be someone who has went to its wikki page and read about it... sounds really really lame but think about it. You need to be interested in it and you need to enjoy it and want to know more about it. I guess a good story and characters make you a fan more than anything else... Just don't let your fandom become fanboy/girlism... it ruins everything for other people who have to listen to you wine on about it

Euvel
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Being a fan someone who is overly obsessed and constantly follows a game as it releases information about the title and raving with ever little piece of that information to your friends and family. Like I was with Gears 2. My friends and I would ramble on about it. Create side stories that we think would push the title forward and make it more grand. Then I buy it midnight release. Play the story. Disappointed. Played their super duperly awesome multiplayer. Then I practiced hoops by throwing it in the trash can because it didn't meet my expectations and the shOT GUN IS TOO FREAKIN OVER POWERED AND EVERYONE USES IT AND NEVER USES ANOTHER FUasjdkfla;ksldfj;lkasdjf;lka and that is what I think makes me a fan.

Right now I'm currently like this about Final Fantasy XIV. I love building myself up!

(I would never throw my games.)

kall5ter
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
the experience of being in the game ? :/ i'd say that
its enjoyable

dudecrazy108
08-06-2009, 06:07 PM

There really isnt a better way to put that.

Frostbite123
08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
for me to become a fan i do alot of research on the game before i do it just to make sure what im getting is good read the dev blogs even somtimes reviews and these games are usualy the ones i become a "fan" of because not only do i know the backstory on the game i have the prespective of the developers and in all honesty the games i am a fan of are not FPS shooters because of the fact that i dont like screaming i much rather play fallout 3 or dead space in those being more relaxed well back to the topic i think that for you to be a fan you have to realy get into the story of the game and if you cant get into the feel of the charactures i dont think you can be a fan of the game

A 2rue boofer
08-07-2009, 08:07 AM
if you are still playing the game after you do the 1000. in my opinion.

elephantd
08-08-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm a fan of gears because, i own both gears game, own gears book(Aspho Feilds Buy it now:)(working on getting comics), and have gotten gifts of my favorite COG and Locust Cole Train and Theron Guard. I also whore the book out to friends who don't even play video games trying to get them intrested.(I lovvvve Aspho Feilds :) )

My facebook picture is also Cole Train because my friends changed there pictures to favorite videogame charaters. None had Master Chief:)

Jethrow
08-08-2009, 02:05 AM
all game series have different reasons. .. . random choice. .. .gow series.

I like the series because of the single player and coop game, i like the story. I don't like MP too much, have't given it much of a chance though.

Tatanko
08-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Instant attraction to the game makes me a fan, typically. I usually don't have to play it for very long to "just know" I'm going to like it. Modern Warfare, Mass Effect, BioShock, Halo (more the original one), etc.

Waggaz
08-08-2009, 03:58 AM

- Owning things other than the game, but related to it. (Accessories, clothing, etc.)

Exactly all of those things xD

J0shUK
08-08-2009, 04:16 AM
When you click the 'Become a Fan' button on Facebook, you know you're there. :p

NaK Quinn
08-08-2009, 05:07 AM
huh, never asked that........

Noisy Neighbour
08-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Just liking a game makes you a fan. But as with being a gamer, being a fan has levels.

You cant just play on a wii and call yourself a hardcore gamer, same as just playing one game and declaring your undying love for it.

However just because you may own every edition of a game and are a "hardcore fan" doesnt make you any better than the kid who casually plays the series.

So yeah be as much of a fan of something as you want, but keep it as a personal thing rather than a competitive thing.

Crimson Ridley
08-08-2009, 06:35 PM

I'm going to say that I'm most definitely a fan of Guitar Hero then (If that wasn't obvious already). I pre-order every single one, I own figures and T-Shirts based on the game, and I'd argue against the raging Rock Band fanboys over it anyday.

Oh and I also own 11 of the 12 GH games released, I'll be getting GH1 on Tuesday.

I'm also a big Rock Band fan too, but I haven't bought the shirt I've been looking at for a while yet.

Daiphyer.
08-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I've been a GTA fan, since the GTA 2(the one where the camera was from sky), and I did mods for GTA san andreas(Cars) and I've finished each of 'em, more than 2times(except GTA IV), I guess that's what makes me a fan.

Zacxx201
08-09-2009, 06:58 AM
You buy the game, they support it with nice DLC and they fix bugs in the game ASAP.

Bearded Bugs
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
You're not a fan of something until you've had a wet dream about it.

Infection Ftw
08-10-2009, 12:23 PM
A good story, good gameplay, the MP, co-op options and if you can keep playing it without getting bored. Some games only need a few of them.