PDA

View Full Version : Good Ole' Games?

xl RETRO
08-06-2009, 06:46 AM
So i've just got my pay packet and I was thinking I should buy a nice little batch of good old games. I have a list of games I have/wish to get, but I was wondering if you guys could suggest some games that have sort of defined their genre? The top bunch are ones I have and that I feel have their own sort of awesome thing about them, and the bottom are ones I wish to get. I'm more into games that are decent offline, so a few suggestions please (:

Oblivion
Left 4 Dead
Call of Duty 4
Gears of War 2
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Crackdown
Halo 3

Bioshock
Mass Effect
Fallout 3

Gavin TTC956GP
08-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Bioshock is a great FPS game with an original story!

xCHICKEN DIXx
08-06-2009, 07:04 AM
pgr4 great racing game on and offline, assassin's creed, the darkness was fun

HellzDream
08-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Saints Raw and Assassains Creed are some pretty good oldies.

xl RETRO
08-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Saints Row I didn't enjoy, I mean, the story was fun and entertaining, but it didn't really have much playability.

I loved Assassin's Creed, although I wouldn't play through it again.

Yeah, I do need a good driving game, PGR sounds good.

Royle
08-06-2009, 09:32 AM
CoD2? Kameo? There are quite a good few games which are classic old xbox games.

L1E
08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
You could get The Orange Box. I mean it's 5 games in one, what can go wrong? Fable 2 is also pretty good, but it's not very heavy on RPG elements. It's more mainstream oriented. Dead Space is also a very good game, it has amazing graphics, interesting story, and good gameplay. Also, I loved Grand Theft Auto IV, so you could consider getting that. Took plenty of hours of my life getting to 1200/1250. I don't even want to try for those last two achievements...

Skepsis93
08-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Go for Fallout 3. Great storyline, and will keep you going for ages. I've just completed the latest DLC and I've clocked up about 80 hours lol. Brilliant game, buy it now. ;)

EmagDrolBot
08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both wonderful RPGs. I've clocked well over 100 hours on Oblivion. Orange Box was mentioned, so you just need to buy that so you can play Portal, the other 4 games are just a distraction :woop:

Sizzlebuzz
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Mass effect will keep you busy for at least 80 hours. Oblivion and Fallout 3 both keep you busy for over 120.

Tales of Vesperia is probably one of the best real RPG's for this console and a very hard full 1k.

Enchanted arms is an easy 1k and is probably one of the first RPG's for this console. Other than it being a little goofy, it's also one of the better RPG's for this console.

Lost odyssey and last remenant and such are both really mediocre. Very bad leveling systems. But the last remenant comes with free DLC. I heard Infinite undiscovery is bad as well. The same for Star ocean.

Portal is a short game and isn't that great in my opinion. It is pretty funny, but that's all it has going for it. Some of the challenges are almost impossible. One of the only brain busters that takes skill as well, for this console.

Nightbeam
08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Dead Rising, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Orange Box, just to name a few.

Madtown B
08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, you have GH metallica, so I would try Guitar Hero 3, you can pick that up for dirt cheap these days. Also you can't go wrong with rock band 1/2.

For non-music games, if you liked gears 2, you should def play gears 1. I thought gears 1 was better personally. Also if zombies in a mall is your thing, try Dead Rising. It's pretty epic.

dudecrazy108
08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Sacred 2 is an amazing game that will last a long time.

xbirdyx112
08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Go for Fallout 3. Great storyline, and will keep you going for ages. I've just completed the latest DLC and I've clocked up about 80 hours lol. Brilliant game, buy it now. ;)

Yeah Zippy's idea is the best... Fallout 3 will keep you playing even after you have unlocked the quite simple achievements, if you liked oblivion and first person shooters you WILL like this, PLUS the DLC althought not being fantastic compared to the locations in the original game will still add a few hours to you play time. The only negitive thing in this game is it can be pretty tricky to start off the game... I had a few difficulties when starting, for example conserving ammo and health for when you need it, but eventually you will get used to barely surviving on the NUCLEAR WASTE LAND. And for no other reason Zippy recommended it and he has a hayley Williams sig... so he wins

ToasterBread
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fallout are really great!

xl RETRO
08-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm in the process of buying Bioshock and Mass Effect right now, so cross them off of the list. I already have CoD2, it's fun but can be a pain on Veteran without being able to sprint. How long will Kameo last? It seemed good to me but I have never really heard much about it, so I assumed it wasn't great. Oh and Tales of Vesparia? Never heard of it, anyone care to give me some more information please?

xl RETRO
08-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Okay, so I bought Bioshock and Mass Effect, been playing Bioshock a fair bit and I absolutely love it! Not tried Mass Effect yet but I watched my Brother play a little and it's looks great. Thanks guys.

asnaz11
08-14-2009, 06:45 AM
My suggestions would be Fear 2, Saints Row 2, and even Clive Barker's Jherico if you want a cheap game that's very underrated. Also the Ghost Recons on 360 are awesome.

Kamakazi Pear
08-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Just get Bioshock, Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Orange Box. Those 4 alone are all brilliant and will last hundreds of hours, you don't need more right now. :p

xl RETRO
08-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Hahaha, yeah, I ordered I got BioShock and i'm having fun racking up the achievements on that, and Mass Effect is great, i'm gonna have a fun time, I like the fact that you're levels accumulate over the various playthroughs that you do.

RadiantViper
08-19-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm in the process of buying Bioshock and Mass Effect right now, so cross them off of the list. I already have CoD2, it's fun but can be a pain on Veteran without being able to sprint. How long will Kameo last? It seemed good to me but I have never really heard much about it, so I assumed it wasn't great. Oh and Tales of Vesparia? Never heard of it, anyone care to give me some more information please?

Tales of Vesperia is somewhat 'standard' as far as RPGs go (items, leveling, long story, etc) but everything it does it does well. One of the main things that makes it stick out is it's combat system, it's real time but in a small 'arena' and you lock on to enemies, so it's not as dull as turn based but it's not as loose as a completely free real time combat system.

Past that it's a very good game, fun characters and lots of content for your money. Sorry if this is kind of general, just ask more questions and I'd be happy to answer. :)

Definitely get Fallout 3 though, amazing game. And have fun with Bioschock and Mass Effect, both amazingly fun 1ks. I'd suggest picking up the Mass Effect expansion for 400msp if you don't have it already.

xl RETRO
08-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Tales of Vesperia is somewhat 'standard' as far as RPGs go (items, leveling, long story, etc) but everything it does it does well. One of the main things that makes it stick out is it's combat system, it's real time but in a small 'arena' and you lock on to enemies, so it's not as dull as turn based but it's not as loose as a completely free real time combat system.

Past that it's a very good game, fun characters and lots of content for your money. Sorry if this is kind of general, just ask more questions and I'd be happy to answer. :)

Definitely get Fallout 3 though, amazing game. And have fun with Bioschock and Mass Effect, both amazingly fun 1ks. I'd suggest picking up the Mass Effect expansion for 400msp if you don't have it already.

To be honest, I just look for games that are massively playable. Like Oblivion is probably always going to be my favourite game, I spent hours roamming through caves looking for loot, and running through the woods looking for alchemy ingredients (Yes, I was one of those characters :p) Anything that is in any way similar to Oblivion I would love. I once tried a game called Two Worlds which I found okay, but the balance for gameplay and combat wasn't there. The actual game didn't seem too bad, but the combat was dull. To be fair, I should just look at a few reviews and gameplay videos if i'm going to look into buying Tales of Vesperia, but the help is appreciated nonetheless.

Many people in this thread have said Saints Row 2 is great, I own it, but I am pretty much hating it. I mean, it's fun for a little while every now and then, but it doesnt really have any replay value in my opinion.

RadiantViper
08-19-2009, 07:58 AM
To be honest, I just look for games that are massively playable. Like Oblivion is probably always going to be my favourite game, I spent hours roamming through caves looking for loot, and running through the woods looking for alchemy ingredients (Yes, I was one of those characters :p) Anything that is in any way similar to Oblivion I would love. I once tried a game called Two Worlds which I found okay, but the balance for gameplay and combat wasn't there. The actual game didn't seem too bad, but the combat was dull. To be fair, I should just look at a few reviews and gameplay videos if i'm going to look into buying Tales of Vesperia, but the help is appreciated nonetheless.

Many people in this thread have said Saints Row 2 is great, I own it, but I am pretty much hating it. I mean, it's fun for a little while every now and then, but it doesnt really have any replay value in my opinion.

Well to be honest I'm not sure if ToV has that 'pick up and play' quality that Oblivion has. It's a great game but it's more about the story and characters. Though it's pretty JRPGish so if you like games like Oblivon and Mass Effect it might not be your thing. Though I can tell you Fallout 3 is similar to Oblivion (same engine and made by the same company), but it has lots of key differences. I for one found the environment way more interesting in Fallout 3, though I am a sucker for a post-apocalyptic game world. But overall if you like Oblivion you should like Fallout 3, unless you don't like the guns aspect (there are melee weapons though) and the leveling/skills system is different (it lets you choose skills to raise when you level as opposed to using the skill to level it up). Either way it's a great shooter/RPG hybrid with tons of content and several awesome expansions. Though I would suggest waiting until October because just like Oblivion there's gonna be a GOTY edition that will save you $50 on the DLCs.

xl RETRO
08-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Perfect. I've completed Fallout 3 :P without DLC. But sadly I only borrowed it from a friend, and rushed it just to finish it. I did thoroughly enjoy it and it was a great 1000 GS, and i'll be sure to pick up the whole version when it comes with DLC.

Porpoise King
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
You can pickup Crackdown NEW at Sears for $4.97.

ovoon7
08-19-2009, 03:40 PM
none of those games are old...