PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions in One Thread

Mingledon
01-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Now, some of you may get angry at me for bringing this up, but I am just curious, and I have wondered this for a while. Now, before I state, I have been a victim to hypocrasy- Achievement Whoring.

When you buy a game just to get Achievement points, you know something is wrong. I mean, yeah, I understand- at most- renting the game for a few days to whore achievements, but you have to remember: Gamer Score has no value. I found myself actually discouraged to buy games like Dead Rising, Gears of War, good games- just because the achievements are hard.

No hate, I am just saying.

Have you judged a game only or mostly by achievements, and not by gameplay?
-------------------------
And a somewhat unrelated note: I got NFSMW with my 360 for free, and I bought the 360 just to get Oblivion (Fucking Dells installing only PCI drivers for videocards), now that I have beat Oblivion, and I am half done with NFSMW- I will be soon looking for a new game.

Honestly- I am a fucking pussy. I have trouble traversing through FPS-James Bonds, simply the thought that if I go around the corner, that I might get killed always freaks me out.

So, I have been recommended Dead Rising and GoW, GoW I'm worried about because I havn't hooked up XBOX Live and don't plan on getting it on any time soon, and I hear the multiplayer really shines in it. Dead Rising I am afraid of getting due to the sheer fact that it is about zombies and I am more of a pussy then Richard Simmons.

Okay, maybe not more then him.

Baboonballs
01-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Gears of war is just a great game on and off line. And dead rising is good old fashioned fun. Beating zombies brainless with random items? That's just good stuff right there!

razzleson
01-21-2007, 08:54 AM
First off, I'm exactly what you described. I've literally refused to play some games because of the achievements. I'll play a game I hate if it has easy achievements just to have a higher score than my friends. That's the only reason I go for gamerscore, to rub it in my friend's faces.

And about the game selection, if you're trying to stray away from the scare factor, or "pussy factor" as you might call it, I'd be able to recommend a few titles.

Burnout Revenge is really fun IMO. The achievements are pretty hard, and in general it's a really fun game if you're a fan of the Burnout series.

Kameo had a good storyline, and I enjoyed playing the campaign all the way through. It was a little too short for my liking though.

Rockstar's table tennis was great just because it was one of the most realistic sports games I've ever played. They put in almost every aspect of the game, even if it was only ping pong.

That was a really short list and I'm sure some will disagree with me, but those are some fun ones in my opinion if you're not going purely for gamerscore.

Maka
01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I do it all the time, With games like Madden 07 and Ridge Racer. I didnt buy them, because of the GamerScore.

But, To make it up, Im buying Madden 07 off a friend for $25...

Im starting to care less and less about GamerScore, its just a number, and with gamesaving its one of the most useless numbers someone can have beside their name....

Its like saying you have a better collection of CDs than someone else, when all you did was download songs off the internet...

Webb
01-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I won't play some games because of the achievement lists. But if the game is as good as say, Gears, I will always buy it.

Ever since my 360 broke down though, I don't even wanna play the easy games, anymore, just the good ones (one reason why I haven't finished X-Men yet).

Shaaady Souljah
01-21-2007, 05:27 PM
i only own 7 or 8 games total, but i am selling a lot on ebay now. i bought a couple strictly because they were cheap and i wanted more achievements to go after (this was when the game selection was quite slim).

Now, I have gamefly and do not plan on 'buying' a game until Halo 3. At which time, I will cancel gamefly and turn my life over to Halo forever. Renting from a monthly place is the best thing you can do to handle those urges to buy games for achievements. And depending on how fast you cruise through a game, it is way cheaper than buying games. You could go throw 4 or maybe 6 games a month, for only $20ish, thus you paid around $5 per game for the achievements/experience of playing it.

Mingledon
01-21-2007, 07:21 PM
What is a gamesave? Is that when you burn a game to your hard-drive so you don't need the CD? I am still new to the 360 scene.

Cyrex
01-21-2007, 07:32 PM
i on the other hand do get something out of my GS, my friend and i hvae made a bet, we each rent games and get the achievements and have a race to 10k and the loser has to pay for all the rental fees.....

it works for me and the winner gets $60 to buy a new game......

Mingledon
01-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Then what the fuck are you doing here? Go and get into the game!

TheBiffTannen
01-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Games should be played for fun & enjoyment. The achievements should be secondary.

If you only look for games with easy achievements and skip the "harder" games like GoW and whatever ... that's ridiculous in my opinion.

graemelunn
01-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I play games because I enjoy them, and I tend to buy a lot of them as I tend to collect games in much the same way as people collect action figures or comics. The element of Gamerscore has actually tempted me into buying or playing games which I wouldn't have previously, but have surprised myself and enjoyed them. Also pre-Gamerscore, I would have finished games and traded them in quite a lot. Now with Gamerscore, I tend to play the game a lot more after completion, and also don't trade them as I like to be able to help other friends raise their gamerscore.

I also believe that the invention of Gamerscore has promoted the growth of communities such as this one. Without this I wouldn't have met as many like minded gamers from all over the place and got together to play some really good games. This again has prolonged my enjoyment of many games and surely that is what it's all about at the end of the day?

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 03:10 AM
I do like this community- I agree. People here are kind and calm. I have been to many communities, and many people there are rude and flamish. You see, the thing is: Communities with one-major point are usually kind and find, but communities that are just general always failed.

EX: XB360A has a point: XBox360. It wins, everyone has the same subjects in mind: Games.
Whereas forums like Newgrounds or Flashplayer have a hint of a subject: Animation, they don't adhere to that and end up collecting a bunch of people with wants to discuss different things.

Here, we discuss games: Everyone wants to discuss games, so everyone is cool with any threads that discuss games.

Flashplayer? One person might want to discuss sports, another games, another cell phones, myspace, etc. People argue.

Well, anyway, to make a long post short: I do like this community.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 04:19 AM
I'm an Achievement Whore in the loosest sense of the term. Do I want to get every single achievements that I can? Yes. Do I play every waking moment of my free time trying to gain those last ten achievement points in a game? Yes. Do I pass up games that I would normally want to play because the achievements might be too hard? NO! I just buy that game and hope that it's fun enough to keep me from thinking about those slightly out-of-reach achievements.

Like GoW, I know that it probably won't be possible for me to get those multiplayer achievements within the next two years unless, God willing, Verizon decides to open up a high speed service in this hell-hole that I call home. I still play the game, however, and I probably won't be trading it in for quite a while.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 04:21 AM
Well, that is the way I want people to be. And me included. The 360 was made for what? To play games. It wasn't made for people to whore Gamerscore. Gamerscore reminds me of rep on any V-Bulletin forum- you can whore it, you can beg for people to help you with it, you can get it fair and square by yourself- it can be quite time consuming, and it has no use- it just looks really cool.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 04:26 AM
I don't really care about my overall gamerscore that much. (besides beating Defcizion in our race...)

I just like earning those achievements. The more little pictures I have in the achievements section of my dashboard, the better.

I used to whore over every little point gained, but tens and twenties don't really matter. I only really notice when I got up another 500 or 1000 points.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 04:30 AM
I'm not going to check, but I believe my current gamerscore is 1.2k, I am really not that amazing. I got 1000 in Oblivion, I am on Jewels in NFSMW (not so sure, but I think that means I have about 100ish GS in that game), and I have about 50 in Hexic. So, it wouldn't be earthshattering if I stepped into XBox live. More then 50% of the gamers would still have more GS then me.

By the way, speaking of XBox live, who has the most GS in the whole Xbox Live community? How much? What is the most GS you could get right now with all Arcade/Retail games (no Japanese)?

Fonkey Monkey
01-22-2007, 04:35 AM
http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php?gt=&g=&z=&c=&x=54&y=6

there ya go.
However the top 50 or so are dicks and are cheating bitches. A good leaderboard to go off of is Kaen's. It's around here somewhere. I'm sure he can provide a link once he sees this

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 04:41 AM
http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php?gt=&g=&z=&c=&x=54&y=6

there ya go.
However the top 50 or so are dicks and are cheating bitches. A good leaderboard to go off of is Kaen's. It's around here somewhere. I'm sure he can provide a link once he sees this

I didn't need anyone to tell me that the people with the most GS are assholes. It explains itself.

Plus, not to mention, probably spoiled rich kids who can afford all, what, 120 retail+arcade games.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 04:46 AM
It requires a LOT of cash or a really goo renting service. Like GameFly or GameznFlix which send you games in the mail for 12 or 15 bucks a month.

I'm thinking about GamezNFlix because I get tired of games rather quickly unless they are REALLY good and it would be great for my review position.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 04:47 AM
A casual gamer like me can live off of renting from Hollywood Video, Blockbuster, etc. It would add up fast, but still.

I lost all respect for Gamefly after watching alot of X-Play.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 04:53 AM
I don't really watch much tv anymore. I go to work, come home, shower, play games and go to bed. Sometimes my girlfriend is around and I go to the mall with her which I use my gaming time for.

The only shows I really watch are Heroes every Monday and Attack of the Show when I catch it.

I heard GamezNFlix is one of the best. 12 bucks for two games. Better than 1 from GameFly for 15.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 04:54 AM
I get X-Play through Podcast and Comcast OnDemand.

Just the shear fact that they pull it in a lot of the times, and they always say the same exact insenscere bullshit about how Gamefly is great.

Really, I hate it.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 04:57 AM
Everything those two fucknuggets say is insencere. I think they were just two idiots that they pulled off the street looking for an easy job that's sure to net them a steady paycheck.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 05:00 AM
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=218

Skillet
01-22-2007, 05:03 AM
Yep, that's about it.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 05:06 AM
Some of their attempts of humor (read: Most) suck shit right out of a Bissell vacuum cleaner. They attempt to make the viewer feel political and intelligent, by throwing cheap jabs at celebrities and politicos.

Pitiful.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 05:13 AM
And the toilet humor is really stupid. It's all been done before.

Yet other people get it right, like Conan. I don't know why, but I like watching Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 05:13 AM
And the toilet humor is really stupid. It's all been done before.

Yet other people get it right, like Conan. I don't know why, but I like watching Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

And Colbert.

Cooooolbert all the way.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 05:16 AM
I don't watch much Comedy Central. I stick to NBC.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 05:19 AM
I don't like Comedy Central. I just like the Daily Show, (sometimes) Mind of Mencia, Chapelle Show, and that's about it.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 05:20 AM
The odd movie is all I watch there.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Meh. My source of Comedy Central is from Comcast OnDemand.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 05:29 AM
I use DirecTV. I live in the boonies which is why I don't have a Gold Live account. All I can get is Hughes.net satelite internet and it sucks.

If I could only get Time Warner Cable and Road Runner, I'd be the happiest guy on earth. Until I get my ass handed to me on GoW that is.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 05:45 AM
I still havn't even hooked up to Silver since my parents don't let me use the internets too much. They took away the internets from the computer in my room, and I can only use their computer once in a blue moon. And, they password protect it. Fucking untrusting bastards. They think I will betray them. What is this, the fucking Cosa Nostra? An episode of Godfather? Sopranos?

I got them lucky today.

Skillet
01-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Heh, what did you do wrong? Nevermind, I don't really need to know.

Though, you should show them that you can't do anything on your 360. All you can do is download stuff from Microsoft's servers. Everything to run it is already on your 360.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 05:51 AM
No, I didn't do anything. They just think my questionable behavior at school can be stopped by keeping me from the internets. *Sigh*

They prolly know that, but they still- fucking ramifications, alright?

And, good night, I will have to go any time now, second I hear my parents come back home. They make my curfew 9:45. What kind of a highschooler has to go to bed before 10? I understand I wake up at 5:30 for school, but...

Skillet
01-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah, I'm being nagged as it is. I'll have to go too. We'll probably end up banned for going WAY off topic in these threads though...oops.

Sorry Webb!

Fonkey Monkey
01-22-2007, 05:55 AM
you have without a doubt the most posts for a first day member..

Skillet
01-22-2007, 05:56 AM
I bet he does.

Mingledon
01-22-2007, 06:26 PM
And a good chunk of them are over a paragraph long.

Heh, I actually registered a week or two ago just to ask a question. But now solved, I came back to get active. I like forums like these.