PDA

View Full Version : Other strategy games like this?

its delicious
08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
My first jump into a game quite like this, turn-based strategy with a battle grid, and I find myself hooked despite all the flaws.

I'm thinking someone here knows of a similarly-styled game. (Anime not necessary.)

Wii187
08-17-2009, 08:35 PM
The genre is Tactical RPG. Does it matter if it's on 360? On the 360, the only one that comes close is Zoids Assault. Outside of 360, this genre found a home on portable systems like DS and PSP (Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, etc.). They're usually remakes of tactical RPGs found on Super Famicon, PS1 and PS2.

Short list of recommended tactical RPGs:
Final Fantasy Tactics
Disgaea Series
Front Mission Series
Valkyria Chronicles
Fire Emblem Series

its delicious
08-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow, thank you for a thorough answer! Sadly, I have no portable systems, but I still have a PS2 kicking around. I think Operation Darkness will have me occupied for some time to come, but I can look ahead to my birthday... maybe more like Christmas.

Wii187
08-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Wow, thank you for a thorough answer! Sadly, I have no portable systems, but I still have a PS2 kicking around. I think Operation Darkness will have me occupied for some time to come, but I can look ahead to my birthday... maybe more like Christmas.

Check out Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1), Front Mission 3 (PS1) & 4 (PS2) and Disgaea 1 & 2 (PS2).

EDIT: Spectral Force 3 is another tactical RPG for the 360, but I've never played it.

its delicious
08-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, I just got the RROD on my Elite, just as Mission 16 was loading. So I have some time now to check out these other games. Not quite the way I was hoping to be introduced to them, but I have to try to get lemonade from lemons (a most appropriate metaphor).

suko
08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Suikoden Tactics for ps2

Enchanted Arms is kinda close, but not exactly the same

Terrin
10-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Yea zoids assault is good exepct u only get 5 characters but its fun and new game + gives some challeneges due to kinda hidden bosses that can easily destory you or overwhelm you

Halfhoot
11-14-2009, 02:02 AM
I love tactics games! But if you really want to have a variety of them to play you'll have to get a Nintendo DS system.

Zoids Assault wasn't too bad (don't worry... it's not a kids game despite its subject matter)

Front Mission 4 for the ps2 was awesome.

Daisenryaku for the original xbox was great.

Fire Emblem had games for the gamecube and the wii which were good... but very difficult if you don't mind that.

valkyria chronicles for the ps3 was very pretty with a great story.