PDA

View Full Version : JaMarcus Russell definite 1st pick?

PerpetualHeaven
01-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, i've been thinking a lot about the NFL draft and i'm more excited about that then the super bowl because my team has the 1st pick. I've been thinking that the Raiders would pick either Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russell but after reading something I think JaMarcus Russell maybe the 1st pick. Here it is:

Every offseason, New England's Tom Brady (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187741) works with former College of San Mateo head coach Tom Martinez, who cleans up the Patriots quarterback's mechanics.
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9950042.jpg JaMarcus Russell this season threw for 3,129 yards and had a 167 passer rating. But last weekend, for the first time, Martinez worked with LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell, regarded as one of the top prospects in the upcoming NFL draft. And what Martinez said should catch the attention of everyone in Oakland's front office.
After working with Russell, Martinez told some people that he never has seen a talent quite like Russell -- including Brady. Martinez was highly impressed with Russell's "coachability" and his physical skills.
Martinez said that Russell is the type of quarterback who can do everything wrong on a play and still have it come out right. But the fact that Martinez endorsed Russell as strongly as he did only reinforces the notion Russell will be going to the Raiders with the draft's No. 1 overall pick.
The Raiders passed up quarterbacks Matt Leinart (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/415213) and Jay Cutler (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/409102) last April. They can't afford to set back their franchise again this April.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9950047

Better then brady he says!! Quinn may have put up some crazy numbers, but i'm finding it hard for the raiders to pass up Russell. I hope they don't pick a WR :(

Shaaady Souljah
01-24-2007, 08:29 PM
they will definitely get a QB, so dont worry about another WR being grabbed... i dunno if they would take Russell first or not though. it will be decided until all of the workouts and camp are done, but i am thinking Quinn will be the guy they snag.

PerpetualHeaven
01-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah Quinn is really good and has been consistent, but the thing is JaMarcus feels like a big talent. He's a little inexperienced compare to Quinn, but I would rather take that and see him blossom.

Also, I feel like JaMarcus is more of an athelete then Quinn is. He scrambles a lot better which is something I like.

Shaaady Souljah
01-25-2007, 01:37 AM
he definitely scrambles a lot better and has more diversity (no reference to his race of course ;) )

it is like comparing mcnabb and manning. one is an athletic guy and one is a pocket passer with more accuracy.

hopefully they both end up as good as those two. ;)

PerpetualHeaven
01-25-2007, 03:05 AM
The thing is though that JaMarcus was just compared to Brady, who I believe is an awesome pocket QB. Not as a good pocket QB as manning, but Bradys form is amazing. He's got great technique. But we'll have to wait and see.

babyfarmer
01-25-2007, 11:06 PM
I think Russell will be much better than Quinn and would think the Raiders would like Russell more, as Al Davis is still in love with the deep ball, and Russell can throw it 60+ yards in his sleep.

Cyrex
01-26-2007, 01:36 AM
the fist 4 pik are going to be QB's, Smith, Russell, Quinn, but i think the first pick is going to Brohm, he is probably the most set for the NFL. also there is Leak to think about and Brennan if he is a senior or junior, he will be a definite candidate for Heisman depending if he stays, also Ian Johnson will be up there for Heisman too

Brennan was the best QB in all of Collage football with 5500 passing yards, 58 TD's and 12 INT's, and a passer rating of 185.96. IT doesn't matter what team your on it is still amazing

PerpetualHeaven
01-26-2007, 02:14 AM
the fist 4 pik are going to be QB's, Smith, Russell, Quinn, but i think the first pick is going to Brohm, he is probably the most set for the NFL. also there is Leak to think about and Brennan if he is a senior or junior, he will be a definite candidate for Heisman depending if he stays, also Ian Johnson will be up there for Heisman too

Brennan was the best QB in all of Collage football with 5500 passing yards, 58 TD's and 12 INT's, and a passer rating of 185.96. IT doesn't matter what team your on it is still amazing

Yeah Brennan is good, but it isn't always about number it's about potential.

JaMarcus, potential wise, is considered the best. I would personally pick him over Brennan, but did Brennan declare that he's going into the draft? I don't recall ever hearing about it.

Also, you gotta check out where they each played. JaMarcus played with LSU who has a tougher conference compared to Hawaii. That's just my point of view though. LSU had a much tougher schedule compared to Hawaii and Hawaii lost to Boise State and Oregon. LSU lost to Florida and Auburn. So if you think about teams they played, Brennan would obviously have an easier time.

But regardless, if Brennan stays for his senior he'll pretty much break every single QB record and that obviously means a lot.

bdg7884
01-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but i'm 100% sure Brohm is staying in school??? Pretty sure though... I don't think Russell stands a chance to go number 1. It's either going to be Quinn or Smith. They both will be able to raise there rep. at the Combine, after the crap games both of them pulled off.
All I can say is nobody please, please draft Jarrett and leave him for my 49ers! They need a solid WR!:)

PerpetualHeaven
01-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but i'm 100% sure Brohm is staying in school??? Pretty sure though... I don't think Russell stands a chance to go number 1. It's either going to be Quinn or Smith. They both will be able to raise there rep. at the Combine, after the crap games both of them pulled off.
All I can say is nobody please, please draft Jarrett and leave him for my 49ers! They need a solid WR!:)

Nah, Troy Smith won't go first not even close. Not after that florida game. It's either Quinn or Russell. but russell has a much bigger chance after this year plus the support of Bradys technique coach.

Russell has the potential and that's what I care about. Letting him start and get the feel of it will be great for him. He's got a cannon arm, scrambles really well, and is very accurate. Quinn is really good too, but JaMarcus destroyed the fighting irish in their meeting. I think that meeting was the make or break for Russell. Beating out Quinns team put him possibly ahead.

Since raiders are my team, I'd personally take russell. He's 6-6, 252lbs and is a freak. He's widely considered to have the strongest arm in the game of football. Not only that, he's just huge. He can break tackles, scrambles really well, and fits Oaklands offense.

Oakland plays the deep game, instead of short posts and slants. That's why Jamarcus would be the perfect fit for Oakland. With Porter and Moss, you want a guy who can throw the deep ball with perfect accuracy and can do fairly well with the short-mid range passes.

Lykos
01-26-2007, 09:52 PM
I think Quinn just blew the game so he wouldn't have to play for the Raiders. Face it, by the time they build up an offense, their defensive players will be too old, and then they'll draft all lineman and safeties, only to need another offense by the time they're ready. It's a vicious cycle.

Smokez
01-27-2007, 01:03 AM
l say no one picks Russel up and he goes to miami bc they screwed up and took Dante instead of Drew. But yeah Russel ls one of the Top 3 people to get drafted this year. He has a great arm and is kinda like a smaller version of Vick but built like Mccnab. But i really think the Raiders will stick with Brooks bc he isnt a bad QB they just really need help on the Def

Cyrex
01-27-2007, 01:07 AM
brohm is a senior and he will go top 4

PerpetualHeaven
01-27-2007, 01:26 AM
l say no one picks Russel up and he goes to miami bc they screwed up and took Dante instead of Drew. But yeah Russel ls one of the Top 3 people to get drafted this year. He has a great arm and is kinda like a smaller version of Vick but built like Mccnab. But i really think the Raiders will stick with Brooks bc he isnt a bad QB they just really need help on the Def

Smaller then Vick? Vick is 6 foot 215. JaMarcus is like 6'6 252.

And they won't stick with brooks. Every football analysts has tore him up. He can't run an offense. How is that evident? 31st in the league in the passing game. What about Randy Moss only having 552 yards? This is Randy Moss, once the best WR in league. They were better off with Kerry Collins.

Also, Aaron brooks in 8 games started had 3 touchdowns and 8 ints with 1105 yards passing. They are not fine with Aaron Brooks at all. They have enough wide receivers, and their offense just didn't click because the passing game wasn't clicking. No passing game, usually translates into no running game. This is why they need someone who can open the field. JaMarcus has the cannon arm which will open deep balls, which in turn will open the running game for LaMont Jordan who had a terrible season also.

Also, Oakland does not need help on defense. They were ranked 3rd in the league in terms of defense and that's with the defense being on the field pretty much the entire time because the offense only produced 168 points the entire season.

Brooks out, JaMarcus in. He's too hyped not to go early.

Cyrex
01-27-2007, 05:16 PM
as heaven said brooks is a horrible QB, i would rather take a back up on most teams than him as a starter. Jordan is on of the 10 best running backs in the league, he is just stuck on a horrible team with a horrible O Line. If he were on a team that had a line just a little better than he would have 300+ more yards. Not to mention the fact that he was hurt for 6 weeks.

Lykos
01-27-2007, 07:47 PM

Brooks is even worse than Eli Manning.

Yeah, I went there.

PerpetualHeaven
01-27-2007, 09:00 PM
haha Eli Manning is not that bad. He could tone down the amount of INTs he throws, but he's pretty damn good for a 3rd year QB.

Cyrex
01-27-2007, 09:18 PM
eli just doesn't have a set of really good WR he has plaxico who is ok, and shockey who is one of the best Tight ends but thats not saying much, and thats about it he could use a couple more WR

PerpetualHeaven
01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
eli just doesn't have a set of really good WR he has plaxico who is ok, and shockey who is one of the best Tight ends but thats not saying much, and thats about it he could use a couple more WR

You forgot Amani Toomer! He's pretty damn good. I just don't see what people expect out of a 3rd year QB?

Like does everyone except a QB to come in and completely dominate? They call QBs garbage after 3 years when they put up great numbers for a 3rd year QB. Not everyone can come into the league and dominate first year. Being a QB is a progress. Eli Manning is far from being bad.

Jordan7182002
02-05-2007, 01:14 AM
I have heard that Quinn could slip like Aaron did a few yrs back. Probably not that far, but he is not going to be #1.

JaMarcus looks wicked and would love to see him in Minnesota! :-)