PDA

View Full Version : Questions about play.com

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I ordered some games on play.com through Playtrade and all the orders are declined. Does this mean that I won't get them? And will the money I paid be refund on my creditcard? Anyone else had this before? Also I've ordered 3 games from play.com itself and I got an e-mail for each that it was posted but only received 2 of them. Thanks to anyone who helps:)

Sha
08-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I've never had the order declined before, but I did get a refund on my cc once from a movie I ordered through Playtrade, because they ran out of stock.. so I imagine they will do the same for 'declined' orders.

Also when it took (a lot) longer than I expected for a game to arrive, I contacted them...and they just sent me another copy.

In the end both copies found their way, so I guess that's a nice bonus.

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Lol lucky that you got both. Sadly I can ask a new after 21 days which is the 28th but I am on holiday then. Will take another week after before I can even tell them that I didn't receive it. Hopefully I get it either before then or when I come back from holiday. But I rather try some other sites after this since I don't have any good experience with play.com It took 14 days instead of 3-5 workdays before the other 2 finally arrived at my home. And it's not that I live far away.

Sha
08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Guess you were unlucky, so far I've had nothing but good experience with Play.com. And I've ordered over 50 items.

It's a good site, cheap and no shipping costs... better than the dutch sites at least.

[Waggly Bean]
08-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Isn't playtrade the private sellers part? So it's essentially like buying from eBay or something? When I'm shopping on play.com, I tend to try to avoid that if possible. Play have enough good deals that I don't really have to.

I'm sure most orders go through fine with playtrade, but you've got to bear in mind that if it's coming off a private seller, you could have any amount of wait and any number of problems with your order, as it won't go through play.com's standard service/regulations etc.

Having said that, I do use eBay, so I guess it just comes down to if you use playtrade, you shouldn't expect the same service as with a normal play purchase, as each transaction is dealt with by a different seller.

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
True the dutch sites are epic fail lol. Most are overpriced, the local stores (jij kent ze wel Sha:P (Mediamarkt, E-Plaza en zelfs Gamemania met 2dehands die soms duurder zijn dan nieuw)) but at least www.gamehubs.com (http://www.gamehubs.com) is a nice site although they don't have every game and alot of times out of stock. Aside this there are a few other sites with nice prices but I don't know much about the shipping to the Netherlands yet and I haven't try them yet.

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
;2273704']Isn't playtrade the private sellers part? So it's essentially like buying from eBay or something? When I'm shopping on play.com, I tend to try to avoid that if possible. Play have enough good deals that I don't really have to.

I'm sure most orders go through fine with playtrade, but you've got to bear in mind that if it's coming off a private seller, you could have any amount of wait and any number of problems with your order, as it won't go through play.com's standard service/regulations etc.

Having said that, I do use eBay, so I guess it just comes down to if you use playtrade, you shouldn't expect the same service as with a normal play purchase, as each transaction is dealt with by a different seller.

Personally I don't use E-bay since most won't ship to the Netherlands anyway and the dutch E-bay site has 95% morons.. they either sell a used game above the price of a new 1 or they have a huge list of new games for a cheap price which is probably a scam.

Sith_Lords
08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
If the order is declined it is usually due to the card used, a lack of funds in your account, perhaps a typo when entering the card number. Also if the card has had refunds from certain sites than it may have been barred from internet use. The money usually has not been taken if it is declined, and you will not recieve the item, if the money has been taken it will be refunded.

Postasge from play usually takes about 5 days, so it could arrive at any time.

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 03:07 PM
It's 2 weeks ago I've placed the orders and I have to recheck the change on the creditcard what went off. Anyone tried to order from www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) or www.zavvi.co.uk (http://www.zavvi.co.uk) ? Since they have some nice cheap games

Sith_Lords
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Double check with the credit card company, but you should be alright. Regarding postage, it may take longer to the netherlands, but get in contact with Play to say you are still awaiting delivery.

Regarding zavvi, i have used them many times, and have had no problems, they have some really good prices on there aswel, there Mega Mondays are always good!

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Since you live in the Uk and zavvi is an uk site I'd like to hear from someone else too who used it before from an other place how they experienced it. Thanks for your posts though;)

[Waggly Bean]
08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I ordered from zavvi about a fortnight ago. Bought 2 X 2100MSP cards, they arrived in about 4 days. Pretty awesome I thought! ;)

Obviously couldn't say about how they are across to Europe though...

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I just buy 4200 point card and 12 months xbox live with www.gamehubs.com (http://www.gamehubs.com) . you get the code in like 24h by e-mail. I ment stuff like games only to buy on other sites.

Xedoss
08-18-2009, 04:31 PM
A tip from a fellow Dutchman. :)

Check out Amazon.co.uk. Prices are often about the same as play-asia.com and Gamehubs. And without the risk of paying a customs fee.

Their second hand store is way better than play's imho, and it has better support. Also, normal retail prices are usually lower than play.com's, especially with DVD's. And delivery only takes 2 to 4 days, instead of 2 weeks.

The only real downside of Amazon is that you have to pay extra for shipment. Which is free at play.com.

I've been a customer of both for years by the way, so i've experienced both the good and the bad of both sites.

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I first tried amazon.com but 95% of the games I tried to buy were unable to ship to the Netherlands. Anyway you say you've experienced both good and bad about the sites. Tell me which;) Or is the only bad thing about amazon.co.uk the shipping costs?

[Waggly Bean]
08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I just buy 4200 point card and 12 months xbox live with www.gamehubs.com (http://www.gamehubs.com) . you get the code in like 24h by e-mail. I ment stuff like games only to buy on other sites.

I know what you meant, but if you buy Microsoft Points cards from online stores like Zavvi or play.com, you get them sent out in the green cases same as you would get them if you bought them from a store. So it's the same as ordering a game really - that's why I said it.

And I wasn't telling you where to get Microsoft Points, I just mentioned it to give you an idea that I got two things from them and they both arrived within 4 days. :rolleyes:

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
And my point was that you could better use gamehubs for that since it's faster but a free box is always nice;)

Xedoss
08-18-2009, 06:32 PM
I first tried amazon.com but 95% of the games I tried to buy were unable to ship to the Netherlands. Anyway you say you've experienced both good and bad about the sites. Tell me which;) Or is the only bad thing about amazon.co.uk the shipping costs?

Play.com
Pros:
- Website very detailed. Easy to navigate
- Good pricing
- No shipping costs
- Great deals when items are on sale, with new or other items very often.

Cons:
- Shipment can take very long (outside UK)
- Often doesn't ship special editions outside UK (seperate additional hardware items)
- Euro conversion rate is ridiculous (10% difference in favor of play.com)
- Pricing can be high compared to other sites

Amazon.co.uk
Pros:
- Prices are great. Example: Scrubs Season 1-7 costs 67 pounds at Amazon (new retail), costs 139 pounds at play.com. Guitar Hero: Greatest hits: Amazon, 30 pounds. Play 40 pounds. Halo Wars: SE, on sale at Play.com still costs 7 pounds more than it does at Amazon.
- Great 2nd hand offers. Just search for the ones with more reviews. Might cost a few bucks more, but they often do deliver in NL.
- Shipping takes 2 or 4 days. Next day delivery if you pay for it.
- Conversion rates tend to be more favorable than play.com's when using Amazon's Currency Converter
- I've received several games that were advertised as "Used, like new", but were actually new and even sealed on arrival.

Cons:
- Website is rubbish. No easy searching here. No easy to find categories like "Xbox 360" or "Blu-ray". Looks like a child built it in Dreamweaver.
- Shipping costs can be high. Up to 5 pounds for regular shipment, depending on the item. They aren't mentioned in your basket either, untill you select them.
- No clear "on sale" items, just recommended items.

Both are actually good websites. I just favor Amazon due to their better prices and shipping times. I do have to add to this that I'm someone who doesn't mind paying a few (2, 3) pounds more to have my stuff a week earlier.

My suggestion is, just check which website has the better offer at the time and decide if you're willing to wait for Play.com's insane international shipping times, just to save a buck, or more likely, pay extra for it.

Infection Ftw
08-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for that great post:) 1 more question though, about amazon.co.uk you have games used and new. If you buy new do you buy from amazon then? And if you buy used do they still deliver to the Netherlands most of the time? Since I went shopping crazy at amazon.com with like 40 games but nearly all of them couldn't been shipped to the Netherlands or the sellers didn't want to ship outside the US.