PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it?

Fallen GFX
08-19-2009, 01:12 AM
I love getting achievements, and I want to have a good amount of gamerscore. But how do you decide what games you want to 100%.
I have a collection of games, but I can never decide which one I want to start to work on. So how do you choose and what do you usually do when your getting the achievements?

UberViking
08-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Just whatever game i get i play it until im bored with it and in the process of playing it i get as many achievements as possible.

VladimirK
08-19-2009, 01:39 AM
I'll play a game through for the first time and any achievements I get on that playthrough then fair enough.

Then on a 2nd playthrough I'll do all the little achievements that I missed like collectables.

Next I'll do however many more playthroughs to get all the single player achievements complete in it.

Finally just boost multiplayer because chances are that the community for any game other than Halo 3 or Call of Duty, (I dunno about racing games btw), are dead.

Deciding on getting 1000 is more of if I like the game or think it would look good on my gamertag then I'll go for the 1000, (or 1250 or whatever).

Welcome to the site btw :)

True I Skill
08-19-2009, 01:41 AM
I play through, and look at the acheivments of the game, So i play it having fun, And then if i make it to the end of the game and the rest of the acheivments left seem Easy the ones i havent picked up along the way, Then i just go for them, Like on L4D i had so many i fort i might as well go for the last few, And fallout3. I really enjoyed it only needed to play through Once more and buy the last dlc's to 100% It so i decided to go for that.

So just play through a game you enjoy, Once youve won it or whatever, Look at what acheivments are left And think if you'l be able to do them, Try and avoid Online acheivments. Once you've figured out which One whenever you play the game just go for the acheivment. I hardly play fallout3 but when i do I only try to level up my guy for the level 20 acheivments.

Daiphyer.
08-19-2009, 01:51 AM
I get whatever I can on my first playthrough, then I MAY start a second playthrough, or just use "select a chapter" thing to get more achievement. I usually go for more than 600gs, I don't wanna go for 1000 in games that I know I can't get; and even if I get a 1000 in a game, it doesn't really do much, since it is extremly hard to raise your completion % above 90.

Personally, I don't care about 1000s in my GT, I'm just happy as long as my completion percentage is above 60%.

Frostbite123
08-19-2009, 02:27 AM
If the game interests me enough i will say to myself im going for it. This makes it easyer to get the 1000 and i go on forums look up guides and this and that, overall its just based on how much i enjoyed the game

Nightbeam
08-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Depends on if its shit or not,

I also have a chart where over time, as my gamescore whore-ness gets greater, the more I'll play shitty games for achievements.

Its also effected by bored-ness.

TheLastAntidote
08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Usually when I just pick a new game to play, I see it through to the end and I try to get as many achievements as possible. Sometimes this leads to getting 100% completion on games.

If the achievements are too extreme or the game is absolute shit, then I give up on it and move on.

Teh BeZ
08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I still initially game for fun so I complete the game , then if it was fun and/or cheivs are easy I shall try get more , if the game is shit i will usually just finish the story and move on :)

Sizzlebuzz
08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I usually just play the game. If the 1k is easy, I do it. If it takes work, then I decide if I want to invest time into the game.

There are also times when I have nothing else to do but play an old game and aim for achievements that will probably take a few hours.

Infection Ftw
08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
First of all welcome to this site:) anyway to your question I either 100% a game that I like playing (even if I need to get lame collectables or do some boring things) or if I don't really like the game but it's a quick fast 1000/1000. But if you don't like a game and it's an hard 100% then just don't bother.

Infection Ftw
08-19-2009, 02:39 PM
I'll play a game through for the first time and any achievements I get on that playthrough then fair enough.

Then on a 2nd playthrough I'll do all the little achievements that I missed like collectables.

Next I'll do however many more playthroughs to get all the single player achievements complete in it.

Finally just boost multiplayer because chances are that the community for any game other than Halo 3 or Call of Duty, (I dunno about racing games btw), are dead.

Deciding on getting 1000 is more of if I like the game or think it would look good on my gamertag then I'll go for the 1000, (or 1250 or whatever).

Welcome to the site btw :)

I disagree that you say that only Call of Duty and Halo 3 have an huge online community. Games like Gears of War and Fifa for example are played online alot too. Don't forgot the great arcade Battlefield and I've heard that from the Orange Box the Mp is still populair. (And there are more where there are still enough to play online)

VladimirK
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I disagree that you say that only Call of Duty and Halo 3 have an huge online community. Games like Gears of War and Fifa for example are played online alot too. Don't forgot the great arcade Battlefield and I've heard that from the Orange Box the Mp is still populair. (And there are more where there are still enough to play online)

I forgot about Gears actually.
And I don't know anything about sports games online, not just racing.

And yeah there are other titles, but you get what I mean, just that Halo 3 and CoD are the most popular, you try and find a match on Army of Two legit for example.

Daiphyer.
08-19-2009, 03:57 PM
I forgot about Gears actually.
And I don't know anything about sports games online, not just racing.

And yeah there are other titles, but you get what I mean, just that Halo 3 and CoD are the most popular, you try and find a match on Army of Two legit for example.

The online community in Forza, and PGR4 is still huge, and both saint's rows and GTA IV are just as popular as CoD.

VladimirK
08-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Ok, I wasn't giving the definitive, "What community is alive", but apperently some people don't like only a couple of examples.

So here is the top 10 games for the week of August 3rd that people played whilst connected to LIVE.

1 Halo 3
2 Call of Duty: WaW
3 Call of Duty 4
4 Gears of War 2
5 GTA IV
6 Battlefield 1943
7 FIFA 09
8 1 vs 100
9 Marvel vs. Capcom 2
10 Fallout 3

Infection Ftw
08-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Halo became first again? Funny:P

Btw is the www.mygamercard.net (http://www.mygamercard.net) at leaderboards the ammount of players just fail or? Since the numbers 18 to 25k people for halo 3, cod 4, cod WaW and GoW 2 just don't come anything near then the real ammount of people playing those games. Where did you get your list from?

Veteran
08-19-2009, 04:31 PM
The online community in Forza, and PGR4 is still huge, and both saint's rows and GTA IV are just as popular as CoD.

Every time I've tried to play PGR4 in the past year or something there's never been anyone playing it. :confused:

Gears of War is only so active because of people making montages of their uber awesome blind fire headshots with the sniper rifle. -_- Is it just me, or does nobody actually give a fuck!?

Infection Ftw
08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Every time I've tried to play PGR4 in the past year or something there's never been anyone playing it. :confused:

Gears of War is only so active because of people making montages of their uber awesome blind fire headshots with the sniper rifle. -_- Is it just me, or does nobody actually give a fuck!?

Each populair game has alot of fucked up wannabe vids that aren't worth your time on youtube. And alot are doing the lame rickrolled shit thing. There are some nice vids but some are just boring, not original, nothing special or just totally fucked up.

Daiphyer.
08-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Ok, I wasn't giving the definitive, "What community is alive", but apperently some people don't like only a couple of examples.

So here is the top 10 games for the week of August 3rd that people played whilst connected to LIVE.

1 Halo 3
2 Call of Duty: WaW
3 Call of Duty 4
4 Gears of War 2
5 GTA IV
6 Battlefield 1943
7 FIFA 09
8 1 vs 100
9 Marvel vs. Capcom 2
10 Fallout 3

No hard feelings dude! I didn't mean anything by it, I just wanted to mention out some of the games that are popular.

and @ Veteran (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=198148), PGR's matchmaking is not that great, but there is alot of people online, it's just like UFC, you search for a match, you don't get any results, but when you create a match, it doesn't take more than 3 min for someone to join your game.

KRS
08-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I always consult this site's guides and forums when I pick up a game. I'll read through the guide and roadmap, copy it into Word, and add information gleaned from the forum discussions. Then with a printout and pen in hand, I'll play through and mark off what I have gotten. That way, if I leave the game for awhile and come back, I know what still needs to be done. Checklists for collectables are especially useful. Often times I will edit the document to remove the achievements I have done and print it out again so that it doesn't take as many pages. I have a sizeable stack of such printouts in the TV room. When I 100% a game, I gleefully throw away the printout.

It is pretty anal, I know. I have a ton of games that I started playing and need to go back and finish (Assassin's Creed and Kung Fu Panda come to mind). I call this the pile 'o shame. When I sit down to play, I'll look at the pile to decide what to play next. Unfortunately, I am adding games to the pile a lot faster than I am 100%ing them.

I wish I could be focused enough to simply play all the way through a game, but unless it is something truly great, I find I rarely play for more than an hour or two before wanting to play something else. It's a joy and a curse - a joy because I have the luxury of tons of games to choose from, and a curse because I feel slightly guilty having a big backlog of incomplete/unplayed games.

I suppose that is where achievements change the way we play. On older consoles, I would try every game when I first got it and if it wasn't good enough to entice me to play again, so be it. Now I feel compelled to keep going back and trying to get points out of a game, even if I wouldn't think of playing it for no points.

Infection Ftw
08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
To the above post (not gonna quote it all) my problem is I buy games faster then I can play them. Check 'my profile' and see which games are on 0GS or close to.

Revolver
08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh wait, you mean how I like to decide which games to play?
Hmmm, I guess I just look at which games have some easy (but not ridiculously easy) achievements and then at which ones have the bigger amount so I go from there.

KRS
08-19-2009, 06:32 PM
To the above post (not gonna quote it all) my problem is I buy games faster then I can play them. Check 'my profile' and see which games are on 0GS or close to.

Me too. Only very recently have I been strong enough to pass up on cheap 360 game deals by reminding myself I have a similar unplayed game at home.

Example of being good: I passed on Legendary at $9.99 from GameFly since I have a ton of shooters that I haven't even played yet.

Example of being bad: I bought Shaun White Snowboarding for cheap even though I have two snowboarding games (Amped and Stoked) that I have barely played.

Infection Ftw
08-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Near 10$/ I can't let them stay most of the times:P The only one I don't have problem with to ignore is 2006 Fifa World Cup for 5.- near a local store (I guess it's cheap everywhere) and they have a big pile of it for a while now. I might get it if it becomes even cheaper:P It's that I probably will hate the game and it would be less then 1 hour work to earn the cash to buy it but 10-15 hours according to the roadmap to 1K and not even an easy 1K. So instead of getting 1K in it I could earn the cash for like 10 games.

I might order a huge batch of cheap games at amazon.co.uk soon though like lost for 5 pound:P Cheap 1K lol but better then Fifa 2006. And I want to reach 100 retail game owner^^

Edit: I currently have a little over 50 games I haven't even put in my xbox and around 5 I only played a little currently. And I've pre-ordered Bioshock 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Halo 3: ODST, Assassin's Creed II, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and I will pre-order Modern Warfare 2 Prestige and Dragon Age: Origins limited edition. + I might get Raven Squad.

Short said I pay alot/normal for good games and for the ones that aren't that great way less (some good games are cheap like Viking^^ a great game imo)