PDA

View Full Version : First Impression: Multiplayer BLOWS

recoil47
08-19-2009, 02:04 AM
So after trying to play Multiplayer with a friend, here is a summary of my experience. Someone please correct me if some of my assumptions are incorrect. But if this is how they really decided to do multiplayer for an Xbox Live game, then this is one big FAIL.

Partying with a Friend: FAIL
From what I can tell....its unsupported.

1) There is no party lobby to join with a friend of group of friends like Halo or Call of Duty. There is a list of servers. You have to JOIN one before you can invite a friend to that same server.

2) You then have to hope that he joins before it fills up.

3) Then, once he joins, the game doesnt place you both on the same team. You are in spectator mode and you have to try to join the same team. IF teams are uneven...too bad, you arent playing with him.

Servers: FAIL

1) There is no game launching method to take you to servers you ping to. There is a list of servers. It sorts by ping. I had none with more than 3/5 bars.

2) From what I can tell, ALL of those servers are really servers people set up. A gamer selected START GAME. He/she gets to be host and have the best ping, and ping rape everyone who connects.

3) I sat on one server for 3min that never launched. The host was inactive and idle!

Bottom Line:

I remember this multiplayer gaming experience. I had it when I played RTCW on the PC FIVE YEARS AGO! I used Gamespy for Servers, I talked to my buddies on IRC and we picked a server we all appeared to ping good to, and then we all tried to get on it before it filled. Then, we all sat in spectator rapidly clicking on get onto the same team so we could play together.

Yea, I remember this experience, it FU*CKING SUCKED.

They basically seemed to take the old server browser and multiplayer online gaming experience for the PC several years ago, and put it on an Xbox. This is LAZY and unacceptable. Why no party system? Its been around on the Xbox 360 since it came out.

Im I wrong in my assessment? Is this really how multiplayer works? If so, it doesnt matter how good the game types and maps are if its a pain in the ass to play with friends.

I'm curious to see others opinions. But there are just too many Xbox Live Friendly multiplayer games out there to play this. I have a feeling I'll be returning it soon and waiting for COD Modern Warfare 2 and Halo ODST.

recoil47
08-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Let me amend this slightly.

The Multiplayer experience is "So-So" at best, if you are just playing by yourself. But if you want to play together with even just one friend on Xbox Live....then my thread title applies. :)

ferrari360max
08-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Coming from a Cod fanboy or just a shooter player? As most games now seem to get unfairly compared to Call of Duty. I think it looks okay from video's so far, wont have my copy till Thursday so cant really say.

EDIT: After playing it i agree, it does blow, big time.

v SnOwMaN v
08-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Its just bad now, because the multiplayer netcode is probably messed up. Something that will be fixed in a patch. For now just look for rooms with people who have a lot of green bars. That's what I do. I usually play with the same people who I know has a good host.

Zuld
08-19-2009, 03:11 AM
I have not enjoyed the multiplayer portion, single player on the other hand - awesome.

thedude26
08-19-2009, 03:11 AM
pfft, you just don't like it because you can't boost.

SinRG
08-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Counter-Strike, one of the greatest FPS of all time didn't have party joins. When you joined a game you just chose a side.

That's the neat thing about Wolfenstein and also it's downfall. You'll have people stacking teams, waiting for people.

I found online to alright but once I partied up with people and did an Xbox Live Party we co-ordinated which team to join and did so.

Not loving the bullet sponging though =/

recoil47
08-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Coming from a Cod fanboy or just a shooter player? As most games now seem to get unfairly compared to Call of Duty. I think it looks okay from video's so far, wont have my copy till Thursday so cant really say.

Just a shooter player. I played Quake back way in the day on a PC years and years and years ago. So yea, Im familiar with this type of FPS Multiplayer interface....but its just very POOR for an Xbox Live. COD and Halo's party systems are FANTASTIC for playing online. Wolfenstein really has failed here. Forget about crap pings, etc. The actual online experience sucks.

I just played on a few servers with a friend. After the map ended, two people quit, one was the host. A new host was assigned. That host changed the map to whatever he wanted and it was loaded. There are FOUR people on this server. The host, my buddy, and two other players. My buddy and I join AXIS....SO DO THE OTHER TWO PLAYERS!

Why is this allowed? Why no auto team balance? Thats because the HOST has total control over the server gametype and its settings. This is going to breed a HORRIBLE experience ofr players in a week or two when people get around to buying this game or complete single player.

I cant believe as mature as Xbox 360 games are that someone would create a game with so little thought on the multiplayer experience for console games. Seems clear this was made for a PC and simply "ported" to an Xbox. The multiplayer interface sure feels like it....

Counter-Strike, one of the greatest FPS of all time didn't have party joins. When you joined a game you just chose a side.

Thats my point! Counterstrike, Quake, RTCW. These games have been out for over a decade! Xbox Live games introduce the Party system which has been the de-facto standard for Multiplayer games on Xbox Live. So why go back to an old, moldy, method that is 10+ years old?

I just spent the last 10min on a team with 3 other people and no one joined the opponents team. In warmup mode for 10min. Fantastic! I thought I was beyond that buying an Xbox Live game.

I think this is one game Im REALLY going to be wishing I could return....

pfft, you just don't like it because you can't boost.

What is "boosting"??

ThaMyth
08-19-2009, 03:28 AM
multiplayer is like dude said up there "so-so". the achievements are a little buggy too. but im diggin it. i mean shit id be happy with just the single player but the multiplayer addon is a deversion at best. Not as good as the last wolfenstein games multiplayer to say the least but hell im getting shadow complex and batman this week so ill have enough to take my mind off that multiplayer haha

Tj1zzle
08-19-2009, 05:03 AM

yeap unfortunately they set quite the bar (cod 4 anyway)

Recoil:
agreed, no partying can be quite the pain while trying to play with friends but shouldnt be reason enough to let it ruin your multi player experience, plenty of games dont offer this feature, growing up on comp. shooters im used to it

try creating your own games, inv. ur friends and youll have a jump so it wont fill up right away

and double and triple posts w. only 7 total? did you join just to rant on this lol thats funny

send me an inv if u wanna boost anything ill be on this for a while

StolenPaper18
08-19-2009, 06:22 AM
I've got an idea, don't play the game online if you don't like it? :woop:

ovoon7
08-19-2009, 06:23 AM
um... allot of games don't have party functionality. Just because it's not in the same league as all the overrated multiplayer games out there with huge budgets does NOT mean it blows. But I got so lagged out when trying it I went back to single player... so I'll wait a few days

h3liumX
08-19-2009, 07:21 AM
I thought so too at first, but it really has a great teamwork aspect to it like battlefield. However, I still think it lacks many things that a lot of people already mentioned. I found it pretty enjoyable overall, but I can't see myself playing it for too long.

GenericNPC
08-19-2009, 07:32 AM
In my opinion the multiplayer is a lot like W:ET the servers are set up the same and the character select it set up the same too, not all games are going to have the same party system, so you may not be able to play with your friends on the same team they are still in the room at least. The only thing I don't like really is the fact that the game is pretty laggy if you get into a bad room

Agusta1
08-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Give it time, Then it shall be fixed

braedinfalln86
08-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Yesterday 11:11 PMthedude26pfft, you just don't like it because you can't boost.

OWNED! :D

Anyway. when i first got it i was like this is terrible. But once i started getting into it, it becomes such a great mp experience.

Originally Posted by ferrari360max http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2275376#post2275376)
Coming from a Cod fanboy or just a shooter player? As most games now seem to get unfairly compared to Call of Duty. I think it looks okay from video's so far, wont have my copy till Thursday so cant really say

DOUBLE OWNED! :D Lol

But really. come on. You cant compare everything to halo and cod or other good games with first person shooter.Of course halo and cod will always come out on top. As said before,,give it some time! Brand new game. You cant just assume. DAY 1:OH THIS SUCKS! RETURNING! Like seriously?

recoil47
08-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Dude really. Owned? First, I said I don't know what boosting is....I still don't.

Second, I wasn't comparing the first person shooter itself to COD or Halo...all this time I've been comparing the Multiplayer INTERFACE. The party / game selection engine to those two...and many others (Left 4 Dead as well).

Its by far the weakest I've seen, and is reminicent of Quake and RTCW which were out for PCs several years ago.

The game modes themselves are OK...objective/stopwatch, etc. But the playability so far is suffering IMO, and I was curious to see who else felt the same. But everyone seems to be commenting on non-relevant things so I guess I came to the wrong place. Seems most people here care about Single Player (which I do like, story wise).

Oh well, I'll give it a week, and if I dont like it, its being traded in. *shrug*

braedinfalln86
08-20-2009, 03:52 AM
You obiously must suck at the game then.

Waterboy908
08-20-2009, 03:58 AM
The whole point of the multiplayer is to bring back that old RtCW feel. The multiplayer server selection, choosing sides, it's all for that pc feel. You can clearly tell that this game was intended for pc but the money is made if it's put out for the console. It's just the way they wanted it to be. Call of Duty 4 and 5 on the pc have individual selectable servers, there's no party selection screen or automatic server selection.

braedinfalln86
08-20-2009, 04:04 AM
First of all. there is no call of duty 5. but thats another story. mp is great in my opinion. More exciting then cod in some moments.

Waterboy908
08-20-2009, 04:10 AM
What I meant by CoD5 was World at War. Pretty obvious.

DENAz666
08-20-2009, 05:37 AM
OWNED! :D

Anyway. when i first got it i was like this is terrible. But once i started getting into it, it becomes such a great mp experience.

Originally Posted by ferrari360max http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2275376#post2275376)
Coming from a Cod fanboy or just a shooter player? As most games now seem to get unfairly compared to Call of Duty. I think it looks okay from video's so far, wont have my copy till Thursday so cant really say

DOUBLE OWNED! :D Lol

But really. come on. You cant compare everything to halo and cod or other good games with first person shooter.Of course halo and cod will always come out on top. As said before,,give it some time! Brand new game. You cant just assume. DAY 1:OH THIS SUCKS! RETURNING! Like seriously?

I still have no idea how he was 'owned'? First post saying because he can't boost... yet if you read his posts you will see he doesn't give a shit about the acheivments, they aren't even mentioned in this thread. Second post asking if he is a COD fanboy... is a question. How is that owning him? lol massive fail dude

echo65
08-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Give it time, Then it shall be fixed
Yep, good thing the multiplayer dev team is wo... oh wait. They got fired on launch day. :( My big complaints are the netcode and balancing across the levels. With upgrades like flak jacket and big bore, people coming in at level one are clearly at a disadvantage until they can grind out the money to even it up.

P1TTMAN
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm in agreement with pretty much everything the OP has said.Give it time, Then it shall be fixed That's what cheered me up, until...
Yep, good thing the multiplayer dev team is wo... oh wait. They got fired on launch day. :(. AHHH!!! :eek: That's right; I forgot about that... Maybe by some miracle they were fired for turning out such a crappy MP experience, and a new team is working on patching it up.. yeah right.

Yeah, being a lvl 1 really sucks on here. :(
You obiously must suck at the game then. a;lfja;ln (those are the keys my fingers press as I sigh in resignation to the fact that some people are just hopeless idiots.)

Double2Seven
08-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I got to admit, the mp is almost unplayable...at least for me.Im from Europe and not many are playing the game so i must be playing against us players.

Its really hard not to catch a laggy game, even with 2 bars i found cod games to be playable , but not on this case.

Gonna try again tonigh, lets home there are some improvments in the near future, i think mp could be really fun if problems are resolved.

recoil47
08-20-2009, 04:25 PM
I got to admit, the mp is almost unplayable...at least for me.Im from Europe and not many are playing the game so i must be playing against us players.

Its really hard not to catch a laggy game, even with 2 bars i found cod games to be playable , but not on this case.

Gonna try again tonight, lets home there are some improvements in the near future, i think mp could be really fun if problems are resolved.

I did noticed the bars were pretty deceptive. I would join a server that said I was four bars, and most of the time played with 2 or even 1. It didn't FEEL way off, but the precision was definitely gone. I'm not sure you can trust the "lag-o-meter" much, which isn't very reassuring.

P1TTMAN
08-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Gonna try again tonigh, lets home there are some improvments in the near future, i think mp could be really fun if problems are resolved. Hey, maybe you, me, and Recoil could form a "we expect nothing from this experience but we'll see what happens" team online tonight...:p
My main problem was the way I kept pouring lead (whole MP40 clips) into enemies without killing them, with one short burst from an enemy's MP40 leaving me pushing up daisies. :mad: :uzi: Got old pretty fast.

recoil47
08-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Heh, no kidding. I think I was most frustrated at how hard it was just to get onto a common server with two friends and play together. Its really a manual and painful process. Additionally, several servers we got on ended up having teams heavily unbalanced...or games that just never started because the host was idle. Pretty pathetic.

I have noticed that in this game, moreso than others, the host does have an enormous advantage. Even in games like Call of Duty, the host does have the best connection obviously....but the netcode is good enough that it isn't dominant. From what I have seen so far in Wolfenstein, the hosts have a pretty sizeable advantage. You can easily tell them: The only ones on the server that have all the bars, and are like 18-3. ;)

I want to give this game a week and see how it goes. I did love Stopwatch mode in RTCW and miss playing objective based games. But if the experience is as painful as it seems to be, I'll be off to other games, and waiting for Left 4 Dead sequel and COD Modern Warfare 2. :)

BTW - I love the GIF in your sig. Laughed pretty hard when I saw it, and had to pass it on to a few friends.

owenstoodstill
08-20-2009, 05:44 PM
surely this game is easy to boost on ???

Tj1zzle
08-20-2009, 07:29 PM
surely this game is easy to boost on ???

it is.. but boosting is redundant when you can easily bag 1500 bucks a match

P1TTMAN
08-20-2009, 07:54 PM
I have noticed that in this game, moreso than others, the host does have an enormous advantage. Even in games like Call of Duty, the host does have the best connection obviously....but the netcode is good enough that it isn't dominant. From what I have seen so far in Wolfenstein, the hosts have a pretty sizeable advantage. You can easily tell them: The only ones on the server that have all the bars, and are like 18-3. ;)
Yeah, I noticed too that this one guy was just unbeatable... Oh golly gee whiz-- he's the host. :drunk

BTW - I love the GIF in your sig. Laughed pretty hard when I saw it, and had to pass it on to a few friends. Yeah, me too. :) Lt. Harry "Bozo" Welsh to the rescue!!! :woop:

(It's kind of a shame he's not around to watch this; the old guy would probably laugh his ass off. :p)

DENAz666
08-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Finally got to give the MP a good run last night... and yeah... it really does suck. From australia here, so the lag was just unbareable. The kills i did get were from grenades, as shooting someone is nearly impossible.

How can they make the SP so good, but the MP so dam terrible!

Double2Seven
08-21-2009, 08:00 AM
They must patch mp urgently, its unplayable.

And its very glitchy, e keep making money and it keeps desapearing, i go up the ranks but i cant buy any upgrades, frustating to say the least.