PDA

View Full Version : Hey

Left4Dead
01-25-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't know whether this is in the right section or not but here goes:

I use a router downstairs, I use a wireless adapter to connect to the internet through my computer. Is there anyway I can use the ethernet cable in my computer without having to buy a wireless for my Xbox360?

The computer is upstairs, with my Xbox360.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Left4Dead

Minty
01-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, you can cable your PC to your xbox and share the internet connection as if t was a 2nd PC.

SHould be a How-to on xbox.com

Minty
01-25-2007, 05:30 PM
YOU WILL NEED:

1. One standard, ‘straight through’ Ethernet cable with standard RJ-45 connectors at each end.

2. One crossover Ethernet cable with standard RJ-45 connectors at each end.

3. Two spare Ethernet ports on your PC (if it doesn’t have one, you may need to install additional Network Interface Card(s)). If you have a USB modem, you will only need a single spare Ethernet port.

4. A PC running Windows 98SE, Me, 2000 Professional or XP.

WHAT TO DO:

1. Before you connect any cables, remove any disc from your Xbox console disc tray and turn off your console and PC. If you have an external modem, turn it off and disconnect its power-source.

2. If you don’t already have one, set up a connection from your PC to the Internet, following the instructions provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

3. Connect one end of the crossover Ethernet cable to a spare Ethernet port on your PC, and the other to the Ethernet port on the back of your Xbox console.

Note: although most Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) connections require a crossover Ethernet cable, some use a standard, straight through cable. See your PC or Network Interface Card documentation for more information.

4. Configure Windows ICS to share your Internet connection. See your Windows documentation for more information.

5. Once ICS is configured, make sure your PC can access the Internet.

From xbox.com http://www.xboxemea.com/playtogether/xboxlivemanual/

KilluhKam
01-25-2007, 05:32 PM
so you dont need a router to be on the computer and 360? also, will there be alot of lag doin it that way? the way i get on live now is when i want to, i have to unplug the ethernet cord and power cord from the back of the modem and the ethernet cord from the back of the PC and replug the power cord/ethernet cord into the modem then plug the other end of the ethernet cord into the 360, and do the same to get back on the PC

Minty
01-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I used to be browsing the net while playing 360 on a 1 meg connection with no lag, and that was 2 years ago.

Id say that on a decent network youd be fine

KilluhKam
01-25-2007, 05:35 PM
aight, cool ima have to try this some time

Left4Dead
01-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks alot, much appreciated =]

Left4Dead
01-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Was just wondering, I'm not very good with setting up a network connection to run through to my xbox aswell as my internet, I was wondering if someone could help me out over msn? Remote Assiss me?

If not, okay but I'm useless with networking.

Thanks.

Left4Dead

Webb
01-27-2007, 11:11 PM
To be honest fella, I wouldn't let some random person off the forums (even if they are the coolest forums over at x360a.org) use the remote assistance. Bit too risky if you ask me.

What are you having problems with, I'm sure one of us around here can make a detailed enough explantion to help you.

Left4Dead
01-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Fair enough.

I just don't know how to set up a connection running through my computer to my 360.

I use a wireless router downstairs and I want to use my ethernet cable in my upstairs computer which is where my 360 is. I use a USB to collect the internet upstairs.

So basically, I want to share the internet accross my computer and my 360 without having to unplug anything.

Reckon we could talk about this on MSN if you can help?

Cheers.

Webb
01-27-2007, 11:26 PM
In all honesty mate, this isn't my speciality, I personally don't do it or never have, so wouldn't know where to start. But what Minty posted looks straightforward. Try following these steps...

WHAT TO DO:

1. Before you connect any cables, remove any disc from your Xbox console disc tray and turn off your console and PC. If you have an external modem, turn it off and disconnect its power-source.

2. If you donít already have one, set up a connection from your PC to the Internet, following the instructions provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

3. Connect one end of the crossover Ethernet cable to a spare Ethernet port on your PC, and the other to the Ethernet port on the back of your Xbox console.

Note: although most Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) connections require a crossover Ethernet cable, some use a standard, straight through cable. See your PC or Network Interface Card documentation for more information.

4. Configure Windows ICS to share your Internet connection. See your Windows documentation for more information.

5. Once ICS is configured, make sure your PC can access the Internet.

Left4Dead
01-27-2007, 11:34 PM
4. Configure Windows ICS to share your Internet connection. See your Windows documentation for more information

That's where I'm up to theoretically, I have no clue how to share it

Lol.

Webb
01-27-2007, 11:39 PM
lol

I knew you were gonna say that :p Have you tried googling it? You should find something that way.

Software2
01-28-2007, 12:53 AM
When I needed to do something very similar a while back, this is the page I used to show me how to setup ICS (Something I hadn't really heard much on before). I think this should be tons of help :)

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-netxp.asp

Left4Dead
01-28-2007, 01:36 AM
I did it guys, shared my connection to my LAN. =]

Woot. Left4Dead's online baby.

Left4Dead
01-28-2007, 01:57 AM
It doesn't stop does it, now it's asking for parental consent, where am I going to get that at 1.58 AM?

:|

CrakkedOut56
01-28-2007, 02:08 AM
I use a USB to collect the internet upstairs.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:
Why would you use a USB cable? That slows your internet down a whole lot.

Left4Dead
02-01-2007, 12:14 AM
With 8 Meg, I doubt it =P