PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of Shadow Complex?

FourChan
08-20-2009, 05:03 AM
I love the game and can barely put it down, though getting a lot of games recently I'm having trouble mixing it up. Though the game was a bit better than I thought it would be. The graphics for a XBLA are amazing. The game play is also, I just wish there was a lock on feature or something cause shooting in the background can be tricky. Though one thing that ticks me off is no Avatar clothes are available. I would love to have the suit or the backpack he runs around with.

agentplatypus
08-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Amazing game, I'm loving it so far. This and Trials HD are the top 2 arcade games for sure.

TheLastAntidote
08-20-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm 50/50 on this one. The graphics are amazing and the gameplay seems like a lot of fun, I just don't like the aiming. It's so hard to be precise... If there was an auto-aim feature you could turn on or like FourChan mentioned, a lock-on feature, I'd totally be all about it.

RetroHolo
08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Played the demo through until it told me I had to unlock it. Absolutely one of the best games available on the arcade. Probably gonna squander my hard earned cash when I get home and buy that and "I MAED A GAME WIT ZOMBIES INIT!!!1!"

Pheonix_Assassin
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
It's ok for a 2D shooter =/ but im not purchasing it i might get Splosion Man though.

Also TRIALS HD is basically a HD version of Online Motocross games, thanks but i would rather play the Standard free Motocross games online

yarminKun
08-20-2009, 05:49 PM
If you're like me and consider Super Metroid and Castlevania Symphony Of the Night to be one of the greatest games ever made, then this is the game for you. It is definitely one of the best Arcade games so far, the graphics and gameplay are top tier. GET IT.

Bleeding Star
08-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Think its absolutly amazing, although I completed it in just under 5 hours when they said it would take 10 on first playthrough, o well many more playthroughs will follow

[Waggly Bean]
08-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Played the demo through until it told me I had to unlock it. Absolutely one of the best games available on the arcade. Probably gonna squander my hard earned cash when I get home and buy that and "I MAED A GAME WIT ZOMBIES INIT!!!1!"

Yes, you know the score! :drunk

Back on-topic, I love the game! It really is a lot better than I expected. I don't really think the aiming is too much of a problem - the only thing I feel a bit weird about is that it's so much like Castlevania, yet you can't teleport around the map for exploration purposes like you could with some of the Castlevania's. It just seems a bit daunting when you're trying to find a missile-door you spotted earlier, and you can't quite remember where it was!

Still, a fantastic game - this and Trials HD have made me feel very spoiled this summer! :p

KFZ Scrubs
08-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, then this is some good rumor news for you guys i guess.
http://www.gamasutra.com/newswire?story=24935

Will Chair Entertainment's just-launched Shadow Complex get DLC in the future? When Gamasutra asked about plans to support the Xbox Live Arcade title with additional modes or other content, Chair Entertainment creative director Donald Mustard stopped just short of admitting plans to do just that.

The game design takes its cues from classics like Nintendo's Super Metroid and Konami's Castlevania -- in Symphony of the Night, the latter franchise's most popular installment, players can unlock an additional mode featuring antagonist Richter Belmont.

Although that mode was limited compared to the main mode featuring hero Alucard, it offered n alternate way to enjoy the same content -- and with DLC extending the life of games these days, it's not too inconceivable to imagine something similar in store for Shadow Complex.

When Gamasutra asked Mustard about such a possibility, he hesitated, thought, and replied, "Man, you're going to make me tip my hand too much."

Public relations interceded and suggested he didn't have to answer the question; Mustard added, simply: "I think that's a really compelling idea -- how about that?"

Chair also told Gamasutra its design efforts in Shadow Complex focused on creating the game as though it were a tile-based 2D game, to ensure the capabilities of protagonist Jason Fleming were perfectly matched to the game's level design. Although the developer may ultimately be tight-lipped on DLC, with so much inheritance from classic "Metroidvania" trend-setters, new modes in the future are both plausible and possible.

oRedBull
08-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Just like Battlefield: 1943, it raises the bar for XBLA games

SaintKnight
08-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I've played the trial like 5 times and when I get some points Saturday I am buying. It is easily my favorite XBLA game

Burning Karma
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
I played the trial and I gotta say, it's pretty fun. I can't justify spending 1600 MSP on it right now, but if it went on sale sometime, I'd definetely get it.

Bleeding Star
08-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I played the trial and I gotta say, it's pretty fun. I can't justify spending 1600 MSP on it right now, but if it went on sale sometime, I'd definetely get it.

its not 1600 its 1200

Burning Karma
08-21-2009, 12:17 AM
its not 1600 its 1200
My bad. Either way, I'm still not paying that for it.

StephenJ360
08-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Probably my favorite arcade game ever, and I've played a lot.

XI AlphaMale IX
08-21-2009, 12:31 AM
The demo seems like a lot of fun, and I love the old Metroid games. I rarely spend more than 800 points on anything, as Castle Crashers is the only full game I have that's more than 800. Still, seems like good times - being broke sucks no matter how you look at it.

Dz06lt
08-21-2009, 12:32 AM
im loving it so far tried the demo and am hooked i bought it even before i finished the demo very fun game

Hitchman
08-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Just like Battlefield: 1943, it raises the bar for XBLA games

I agree. both of these games are amazing.

Bleeding Star
08-21-2009, 08:36 AM
My bad. Either way, I'm still not paying that for it.

then quite frankly you are missing out

[Waggly Bean]
08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
then quite frankly you are missing out

As someone who hates the 1200MSP price point, I actually have to agree with the above statement. With Shadow Complex, you get so much more of a game than most previous Arcade Games that it does warrant the price. I mean, you only have to look at it to see how far arcade games have come. Compare the graphics on this to some of the early 800MSP platformers, and you'll see none of them come even close. Add in full cut-scenes complete with voice-over etc, and you've essentially got a slimmed down retail release. Hell, there's probably more gameplay in this one than in other retail games!

So in my eyes, this is one of the few that is well worth your 1200MSP/$15/10, and you really are missing out by not buying it on the principle. ;)

EzyKiLL 25 17
08-21-2009, 01:21 PM
its easily worth 3 times more than a lightsabre :D

the last three arcade games ive bought are superb .. battlefield, TrialHD and this .. amazing value

IncensedCape
08-21-2009, 03:31 PM
READ THIS!!!!
Apprently there's a glitch to play this game for free!

Don't post this crap. Does it feel good playing this game for free when the devs have worked hard creating it? Don't be so damn cheap and pay for the game if you like it...

KFZ Scrubs
08-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Don't post this crap. Does it feel good playing this game for free when the devs have worked hard creating it? Don't be so damn cheap and pay for the game if you like it...
Alright, fine then.... i'll remove it.

InkedUp
08-21-2009, 03:47 PM
For me honestly, since the 360 Live Arcade has gone live, I have never really looked forward to any one particular game. Sure there have been some where it brought back memories of childhood and made me say "cool, I remember that game" and thought about purchasing it. But ever since Shadow Complex has been announced I had been counting the days until the 19th. Let me tell ya, I wasn't disappointed. This game is by far the best available on the Marketplace. I have purchased other arcade games, but haven't spent a lot of time on them. I haven't played any other game, arcade or retail, since the 19th. So for $15, it is well worth a purchase for anyone still on the fence about it.

[Waggly Bean]
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM

To be fair he did say treat it like an extended demo! And it's not like it matters anyway as it won't be like the full game - I assume you won't be able to unlock achievements or anything, and if you do decide to buy it later on, any stats you accumulate on this first run-through will probably be zero'ed. And being as the point of the game is multiple run-throughs, it's not really worth someone doing this instead of paying for the game. :)

Burning Karma
08-21-2009, 06:20 PM
;2282616']As someone who hates the 1200MSP price point, I actually have to agree with the above statement. With Shadow Complex, you get so much more of a game than most previous Arcade Games that it does warrant the price. I mean, you only have to look at it to see how far arcade games have come. Compare the graphics on this to some of the early 800MSP platformers, and you'll see none of them come even close. Add in full cut-scenes complete with voice-over etc, and you've essentially got a slimmed down retail release. Hell, there's probably more gameplay in this one than in other retail games!

So in my eyes, this is one of the few that is well worth your 1200MSP/$15/10, and you really are missing out by not buying it on the principle. ;)
It's not just the principle of not paying 1200 MSP for the game. I just can't afford to buy an Arcade game at this point. 10-15 hours, from what I've heard is about the average amount of play time, is probably a good value, but if I can buy a older game with more playability at the same price, I'll go with it right now. Come Christmas, I may get it.

[Waggly Bean]
08-21-2009, 06:50 PM
It's not just the principle of not paying 1200 MSP for the game. I just can't afford to buy an Arcade game at this point. 10-15 hours, from what I've heard is about the average amount of play time, is probably a good value, but if I can buy a older game with more playability at the same price, I'll go with it right now. Come Christmas, I may get it.

To be fair, I suppose it doesn't matter when you buy this one, as it's purely a single player experience. Most games these days have some form of online multiplayer, so to experience them to their fullest you're best buying them on day 1. With this that's not the case, so I guess it's a case of so long as you do get it at some point, you won't be missing out! ;)

N-Forced
08-22-2009, 03:07 AM
Played the demo and got hooked, bought some points after cashing my check and have been hooked with the full game. It's alot better then what I was thinking it was going to be like and it's definitely worth the money spent on it.

XI AlphaMale IX
08-23-2009, 03:09 AM
It's not just the principle of not paying 1200 MSP for the game. I just can't afford to buy an Arcade game at this point.
I feel that. Unfortunately. *sigh*

Zainy521
08-23-2009, 03:26 AM
Friggen awsome! definatly lives up to the reviews

Xylon Uxkid
08-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Like some of you mention, the aiming isnt great, but thats the only bad things I have to say about this game. I think its pretty good game. The graphics are amazing for an arcade game and the gameplay its something different that we dont see everyday.

RadiantViper
08-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Amazing game, only bad parts are the aiming issues already mentioned and the easyness of the game. Also it's not a very original game since it basically is Metroid but that's not a bad thing at all really. Currently working on lvl 50 to get the 200 for the game.

JesusBread
08-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I only tried the demo so far, but I love it. Don't have enough points to buy it :(.

A 2rue boofer
08-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I am adding microsoft points to my account to get this game.

KNIGHTOFSERA
08-23-2009, 08:52 AM
aiming's a bitch, especially into the background but everything else is amazing...best arcade game ever