PDA

View Full Version : VGA OR COMPONENT CABLES

longchap
02-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi

I recently purchased myself a 26" Samsung LCD TV, Just wondering what cables people are using. I tried the component cable and was very disapointed with the colour and picture quality.

I tried the offical vga which I used on my previous LCD and it looks beautiful. The picture is so crisp and clear.

P1NSEEKER
02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Id go with vga everytime, if your gonna invest in a top of the line telly you need the best picture possible

doadea
02-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi

I recently purchased myself a 26" Samsung LCD TV, Just wondering what cables people are using. I tried the component cable and was very disapointed with the colour and picture quality.

I tried the offical vga which I used on my previous LCD and it looks beautiful. The picture is so crisp and clear.

There is no way VGA would be better than component. If you TV is HDTV and has component inputs, the component cable should trump the VGA. Maybe you have the color sequence wrong? Some TV's also need color calibration too...

graf1k
02-23-2006, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't say there is no way VGA could look better than Component, but in general I'd say component looks better. Calibrate your TV and try again. I noticed no real difference when I went from component to VGA myself. The VGA does have a lower max resolution though. The component cables can output up to 1080i if the game supports it while the VGA cable maxes at like 738p or basically 720p.

nestler16
02-23-2006, 03:36 PM
whats color calibration

graf1k
02-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Color, Tint, Brightness, Contrast, ect. They have calibration DVDs for people that want to get it just right.

You'd be surprised how many people have the brightness too high and get that washed out look, or have the red levels way too high.

nestler16
02-23-2006, 03:51 PM
are they expensive, easy to obtain and actually make a difference??

longchap
02-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I just could not get the coulour right witrh the component, even adjusting dpi settings etc.

With VGA it will not allow you to adjust the coulour, just brightness and contrast, Just think it is a better picture.

Tron
02-23-2006, 04:33 PM
HD Component trumps all (except maybe DVI, never compared)... make sure you set its input settings to be HD...

graf1k
02-23-2006, 05:02 PM

Generally $10 or so. Check a Circuit City/Best Buy

Tron
02-23-2006, 06:23 PM

monster HD cables can be considerably more expensive..roughly 60 bucks last time i checked...component ones are cheap though (Red, Yellow and White)

graf1k
02-23-2006, 06:57 PM

monster HD cables can be considerably more expensive..roughly 60 bucks last time i checked...component ones are cheap though (Red, Yellow and White)

I was talking about a calibration DVD. But Monster Cables are overpriced anyway.

nestler16
02-23-2006, 07:10 PM
yea i got 60 dollar monter cables for about 15 at best buy with my discount... and thanks abou thte calibration dvd ill look into that

doadea
02-23-2006, 07:12 PM
HD Component trumps all (except maybe DVI, never compared)... make sure you set its input settings to be HD...

No, not really, component is second best to HDMI

As for color calibration, I was not refering to contrast, brightness, etc...some TV's have an actual calibration program that you access through the menu.

doadea
02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
yea i got 60 dollar monter cables for about 15 at best buy with my discount... and thanks abou thte calibration dvd ill look into that

You worked at Best Buy also? I worked there for 3 years part time, one day a week....just for the employee discount (I have a regular full-time job). I spent so much money there that working there was actually costing me money so I quit, but only after I went on a spending spree, buying everything i would think i would need (and some things I did not need ;D) ...I got all new appliances for my house, my 62" DLP (for like 40% off with my discount) a dyson vaccum and tons of other stuff....including my pimp $250.00 Logitech Harmony remote that I got for like $117.00....Best Buy employee discount is second to none.....

I worked at store #356 in Manassas, VA

Tron
02-23-2006, 07:20 PM
ive been there..lol.

nestler16
02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
yea i still do i work at #870 in north scottsdale... im only part time so my checks are like 300 but i always find a way of spending most of it there. ive worked there about 5 months and only made close to 500, its way to tempting to spend money there it sux

doadea
02-23-2006, 07:27 PM
yea i still do i work at #870 in north scottsdale... im only part time so my checks are like 300 but i always find a way of spending most of it there. ive worked there about 5 months and only made close to 500, its way to tempting to spend money there it sux

No kidding...it was friggin impossible for me not to spend there....every day I worked (normally worked on tuesday nights) I would bring home a dvd, or some computer part from a best buy brand like dynex that I got for dirt cheap. To top it all off, Best Buy offers to put your check onto a gift card type account, so you can spend your entire check and never have to go to the bank...LOL....I never did that, but my checks were always very low anyways....

nestler16
02-23-2006, 07:31 PM
lol we just got the benefits thing in the mail so my ma made me put 20% of my check to buy stock so i dont waste all my money

doadea
02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
lol we just got the benefits thing in the mail so my ma made me put 20% of my check to buy stock so i dont waste all my money

Yeah you may not know...but Best Buy has a computer program that will let you go back and look at all your purchases you have ever made...even cokes...and, you can also look to see what your friends have been buying, ...lol...not a very secure system....I looked at all the purchases I have made over the past 5 or so years, even before I worked there, and I almost sh*t myself.....

nestler16
02-23-2006, 11:24 PM
how do you do that??? is that through employee toolkit??

doadea
02-24-2006, 11:47 AM
how do you do that??? is that through employee toolkit??

Yes it is....I forget the exact name of the program, but you get to it through the toolkit and as long as you can log into the toolkit, you can access it...I worked on the tech bench so I used it to look up PSP's for customers, and thats how I found out that it can be used for other things ;D

nestler16
02-24-2006, 03:24 PM
oh yea i think its called like customer contact manager...thatd be weird to see how much money ive wasted there

doadea
02-24-2006, 03:27 PM
oh yea i think its called like customer contact manager...thatd be weird to see how much money ive wasted there

Yeah! Thats it! ;D

nestler16
02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
i only know that cause they tried to train me at customer service..which sucks so much ass

doadea
02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
i only know that cause they tried to train me at customer service..which sucks so much ass

Yeah customer service is the worst position in the store....you have to deal with so much sh*t from customers. I worked right in the same area as our tech bench was right next to customer service. I used to love being yelled at by customers. "What do you mean my Service Plan that I bought for my laptop from you guys does not cover me dropping it" ...I would just stand there with a sly look on my face thinking...."what are you going to do hit me?" you dumb ass you DROPPED YOUR LAPTOP...no one in their right mind would just exchange it out for you....MORON! Customers always make threats like I am calling your corporate office, like, I give two sh*ts. ROFL good times

nestler16
02-24-2006, 03:51 PM
lol this guy got a gift from someone through bestbuy.com and when he returned it the money went back to the person who gave it to him.. he was so pissed he called the corporate office and bitched at them in front of us for close to 3 hours. he held up the line and everything.... when he didnt get his way he just flipped out and started swearing at us. it was the funniest thing ever

doadea
02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
lol this guy got a gift from someone through bestbuy.com and when he returned it the money went back to the person who gave it to him.. he was so pissed he called the corporate office and bitched at them in front of us for close to 3 hours. he held up the line and everything.... when he didnt get his way he just flipped out and started swearing at us. it was the funniest thing ever

ROFL I have friggin tons of stories about super pissed off customers who "think" they are "getting us" by standing there, make a scene, calling whoever, etc etc....all we do is go to the back and make fun of them. ROFL

graf1k
02-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Damn, I should really stop totally flipping (http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm) out a Best Buys before someone makes fun of me! ;D

doadea
02-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Damn, I should really stop totally flipping (http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm) out a Best Buys before someone makes fun of me! ;D

ROTFLMAO the hate mail on that site is a must read. I am almost crying with laughter.....

Tron
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
check out the news section, at the bottom about him being sued...unreal.

doadea
02-24-2006, 04:57 PM
check out the news section, at the bottom about him being sued...unreal.

I hope you are not serious...LOL that website about him being sued is a farce....check out the links on the msn redirect....they all point to some edu link.

Tron
02-24-2006, 04:58 PM
yeah i just noticed that...dammit...funny none the less.

DesertSparky
03-23-2010, 02:44 PM
component cables

i have bought a number of component cables on ebay for $10 or less and they are just as good as the expensive component cables i have

ViperFTS
03-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Having used both, I found Component and VGA provide similar quality