PDA

View Full Version : Saving to memory cards, not MU

dnut24
01-26-2007, 03:12 PM
my 360 is acting flakey and scared to loose game data. also tired of unlocking achievements when playing on friends console and having to do them again on mine later. i dont want to pay 50 bones for a xbox memory card when i have USB card readers and my own memory cards. so can i save my game data to my memory stick and back it up and bring my profile over to a friends like when using an MU?

highpass
01-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only save games to the official 360 memory cards.

dnut24
01-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only save games to the official 360 memory cards.

i hope thats not the case, that will make yet another gripe of lack of functionality vs PS3. :mad:

highpass
01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
All you can do is try, but a quick Google search had nothing hopeful to show.

dnut24
01-26-2007, 04:03 PM
it's cause of this item that got me to thinking.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7914144&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat94400050010&id=1149207969606

but no where does it say anything about saving game files. if this holds true yet another way we're getting screwed into spending 50 bucks for a propritary piece of junk that cant be used anywhere else that we're forced to spend if we wanna back up our hard earned game files. umm how can i put it... fuckin lame! :uzi:

TheMollywhopper
01-26-2007, 08:07 PM
All that thing does is let you view music and photos off of the cards it reads. The only way you could possibly save your stuff on anything other than a hard drive or memory unit is with a trasfer kit, and even then you have to transfer the file back to the hard drive or memory unit before you can use it again.

Wreckon Dracgon
01-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Am I missing something, I don't see what the big deal is it's a memory card and they're $40 bucks - $30 if you get them at most online places.

Mine makes me feel all safe at night. Would just die if I lost my Enchanted Arms saves.

Also I'm not sure what this means...

i hope thats not the case, that will make yet another gripe of lack of functionality vs PS3.

dnut24
01-26-2007, 08:21 PM
yea seems like thats what i've found out. its pretty freaking gay if you ask me and i see why people are always saying "M$" i mean come on, a 64M memory card that can only store game files for the price of 1G memory card off the shelf.

dnut24
01-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Am I missing something, I don't see what the big deal is it's a memory card and they're $40 bucks - $30 if you get them at most online places.

Mine makes me feel all safe at night. Would just die if I lost my Enchanted Arms saves.

Also I'm not sure what this means...

guess what your missing is you paid for a crappy memory card that is useless except for xbox. when i'm sure you have another memory card or USB drive somewhere for your digi cam or something like that. its a way of making more money. yet you hear all these talks about how Sony rips people off... umm well at least they let you store your game files to any memory card out on the market.

Wreckon Dracgon
01-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I see your point and it is valid, but mine is that if you want to enjoy playing your 360 at your friends and unlock achievements then you need a M$ MU and $30 bucks isn't too much to enjoy that "Achievement Unlocked" sound.

But I will agree that it's pretty sweet that you can use a different memory card to save PS3 games. Just wish I had a reason to play.

dnut24
01-26-2007, 08:34 PM
thats my point, i am going to be forced to buy it for my backup protection, which i find to be rotten when i have gigs worth of memory cards.

Zef
01-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Isn't it your own mistrust of Microsoft's choice in hardware that is forcing you to buy it in the first place? You don't want to lose stuff from the harddrive because you think it is going to break/whatever but paying to ease your anxiety is too much?

Microsoft are all about the money. That is why none of the controllers came with a charging kit or chargeable battery. You want to save your time instead of buying buckets of batteries? Go spend some cash and line their pockets. It is kind of stupid, but you have more options that way.

There may very well be a third party working on some kind of memory card transferry thing that will grant your wishes. In the mean time, go buy Billy another house =)

TheMollywhopper
01-26-2007, 08:48 PM
You can get a memory card for $35 bucks at Game Crazy (and like Wreckon said, you can find it cheaper online) and a transfer kit for $15 bucks (once again, maybe cheaper online) and have a portable and backed-up gamercard (as I do)... I like the fact that you can't just throw stuff on a one-size-fits-all memory stick or flash drive... Things are more secure that way, and it's one less backdoor for modders to walk in and screw things up for everybody.

fugitivetoby31
01-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Guys I think I am missing something in this.

I have bought an M$ 360 memory card and if I save a game on it and try and play from it on another xbox it says profile unknown!
I bought a second xbox 360 and have it set up in another room in my house. The idea being that when the family want to use my main room I can save my game and continue on the other box. Unfortunatley it doesnt work at all. I once transfered my entire profile to the memory card which did work in the other machine, only problem was that when I then put the memory card back into my original box it told me the profile was an off-line only profile ?

So I have paid full UK retail price for something which does'nt work. Even in the memory card instructions it says' save your game progress on the memory card and then take it and use on any 360' this simply is'nt the case though.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I did'nt want someone else to pay money for something which in my case does'nt work.

TheMollywhopper
01-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I've never heard of anything like that happening, but that geniunely sucks, and I'm sorry to hear about it. It's either a wierd accident or a freak malfunction, however. Not something that's by any means widespread or enough to discount the usefulness of the unit to the average person.

dnut24
01-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Zef, its not my mistrust in their hardware, its everyones! these consoles are biting hard lately. not to mention anyone with any sense backs everything up. people cbackup their music CD, PC files, etc. why wouldnt you backup game files as well? my point is backing up is such a common thing but micosoft has found a way to make you pay for it. obviously it took them more time and effort to split the save file accesses. such as music and photos cant be stored on the MU, and games cant be saved on standard cards.

and yes also just like you pointed out with the controllers, yet another way to screw people out of money. i just find it funny a few months back all the xbox fanboys were dogging ps3 and all, but yet ps3 allows you to save files and charge your controllers for free.

razzleson
01-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Zef, its not my mistrust in their hardware, its everyones! these consoles are biting hard lately. not to mention anyone with any sense backs everything up. people cbackup their music CD, PC files, etc. why wouldnt you backup game files as well? my point is backing up is such a common thing but micosoft has found a way to make you pay for it. obviously it took them more time and effort to split the save file accesses. such as music and photos cant be stored on the MU, and games cant be saved on standard cards.

and yes also just like you pointed out with the controllers, yet another way to screw people out of money. i just find it funny a few months back all the xbox fanboys were dogging ps3 and all, but yet ps3 allows you to save files and charge your controllers for free.
Do you have a vendetta against Microsoft or something? I mean seriously, take a second and think about it. How do you think Microsoft got where they were?

They're a business who wants to make money. So they make a Microsoft gaming system to use Microsoft peripherals. You're making it seems like they're bad for trying to make money.

If you really don't want to spend your money on MS, wait for hackers to find a way. They just figured out how to use a normal HDD of any size to save your files (although it's a bit ore in depth).

Software2
01-27-2007, 06:54 AM
It does suck that they push their overpriced cash cow on you. There are alternatives however, like recovering your profile over live.

I do have a memory card, but only because I got it at the MS store, so it was dirt cheap. :D

Zef
01-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Do you have a vendetta against Microsoft or something? I mean seriously, take a second and think about it. How do you think Microsoft got where they were?

They're a business who wants to make money. So they make a Microsoft gaming system to use Microsoft peripherals. You're making it seems like they're bad for trying to make money.

If you really don't want to spend your money on MS, wait for hackers to find a way. They just figured out how to use a normal HDD of any size to save your files (although it's a bit ore in depth).

I prefer Microsoft over Sony (don't really consider Nintendo in the same category) even if they want my bank account empty. I'd rather buy a first party peripheral over a third party one unless the third party stuff has some advantage over the official gear.

It is kind of a case of quality over price. More expensive stuff tends to be better. Cheap stuff isn't usually as good.

dnut24
01-27-2007, 03:39 PM

obviously more fan boyism if you're taking what i'm saying personally. i was trying to find out if you can save to other memory cards. then found out you cant i think that sux balls! thats MY opinion. if you dont think having to spend extra money for things you already own then cool, go waste your money. there athough some people out there that care about their money and dont like wasting it, if other possibilties are out there.

the point was microsoft went out of their way to create this small memory card to force you to pay for backups. just like they did on their controller by making a plug that only fits their controller. why? cause they want more money and make you spend even though the system works on current peripherals out there. you dont need a "charge kit" on ps3, just like xbox, its a USB cable. you dont need extra mem cards, cause they let you store it on your own cards. these are the facts that conclude me to my opinion that this philosophy in fact sux balls.

so continue to bow down to companies instead of putting out your opinions which are what change companies direction. remember, we are the customer. without us, they have no money.

Zef
01-27-2007, 06:02 PM
The 360 has exclusive games that you would worry about losing the saves to. PS3 has MGS4 saves you would worry about losing.

fugitivetoby31
01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
I've never heard of anything like that happening, but that geniunely sucks, and I'm sorry to hear about it. It's either a wierd accident or a freak malfunction, however. Not something that's by any means widespread or enough to discount the usefulness of the unit to the average person.

It's possibly something I have done wrongly or perhaps just a faulty memory card.
They are sold as portable memory units ie to take to a friends house etc and game but I am struggling to get it to work in my own house let alone on someone elses 360.
I know I could 1) Take my hardrive with me or 2) recover my gametag but each of these has downfalls.

Has anyone else managed to use a memory card to successfully play a game of theirs on someone elses xbox 360 and I mean legit not a savegame etc?

dnut24
01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
yes my friend has, and thats what lead me to this thread being started. i wanted to bring my porfile to his house, but wanted to use my own memory card.

for example last night he came over we played some games and got some achievements and what not. now he has to take the card to his and update his hard drive or else the achievements wont be there.

now i can see how this is going to make people think they are game saving.

Monsterbox
01-29-2007, 05:38 PM
It's possibly something I have done wrongly or perhaps just a faulty memory card.
They are sold as portable memory units ie to take to a friends house etc and game but I am struggling to get it to work in my own house let alone on someone elses 360.
I know I could 1) Take my hardrive with me or 2) recover my gametag but each of these has downfalls.
Move your profile from your hard-drive to the memory card. When you are at your friend's house, sign in to your account from off of the memory card. The problem is that you are trying to access a gamesave with a profile other than the save's creation profile. With many games (more and more these days) you can't do that without some heavy hacking of the save's hex data. So, move your profile to your memory card and you'll be good to go.

dnut, seriosly man, unplug your hard drive and throw a USB jump/pen drive into the USB slot on the front of your console. Boot up, recover the profile to the stick. Congratulations, you now have a portable profile on a non-microsoft device. Don't really see what the point of doing it is in this case when you can just suck it up and drop a few bones for a first-party solution, but if it makes you feel better to give someone else your money then I guess that's your prerogative.

Kid Pyrrhic
01-29-2007, 06:08 PM
the point was microsoft went out of their way to create this small memory card to force you to pay for backups.

I did some quick research on how Microsoft is trying to "force you to pay for backups." I went through my entire list of games (57 games excluding FFXI and the Burger King games) via the memory section of the dashboard. I went through all my games and added up every piece of data required for the games (Excluding arcade games since they'd obviously skew the results). I left out any and all unnecessary things such as custom faces in Rainbow Six Vegas or custom logos in American Wasteland. I then removed things that I knew could not be transfered to a memory card such as Quake 2 data and Viva Pinata (I don't believe Team Ninja's stuff is transferable but I left them in since I'm too lazy to confirm). Grand total for all my games....38.97MB. Easily enough to fit on a memory card. Heck, I would toss my profile onto the card (all 10 MB's worth) and still have room.

I'm failing to make the connection to how Microsoft is forcing you to pay for backups.

Monsterbox
01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm failing to make the connection to how Microsoft is forcing you to pay for backups.
He wants to be able to use any card he has lying around rather than a Microsoft issue Memory Card. The irony is he probably had a Playstation and/or Playstation 2. ;)

Kid Pyrrhic
01-29-2007, 06:16 PM
He wants to be able to use any card he has lying around rather than a Microsoft issue Memory Card. The irony is he probably had a Playstation and/or Playstation 2. ;)

I was going to point out as well, but I assumed he knew everyone's been doing it for years. I still remembering having to check every store in town to locate an N64 memory card to save data for Madden Football.

dnut24
01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I did some quick research on how Microsoft is trying to "force you to pay for backups." I went through my entire list of games (57 games excluding FFXI and the Burger King games) via the memory section of the dashboard. I went through all my games and added up every piece of data required for the games (Excluding arcade games since they'd obviously skew the results). I left out any and all unnecessary things such as custom faces in Rainbow Six Vegas or custom logos in American Wasteland. I then removed things that I knew could not be transfered to a memory card such as Quake 2 data and Viva Pinata (I don't believe Team Ninja's stuff is transferable but I left them in since I'm too lazy to confirm). Grand total for all my games....38.97MB. Easily enough to fit on a memory card. Heck, I would toss my profile onto the card (all 10 MB's worth) and still have room.

probably cause you're failing to read. you even put in your response exactly what i was referring to. its not an issue of memory size. its an issue of using propriatary equipment to backup files. you have to use the MU to place your game save files to take them to another xbox.

yes i understand the recover system and all and that is good, but recovering on all your friends xbox would be annoying not to mention it will not take your achievements with you (i think, not sure).

are you still failing to understand that you HAVE to buy a microsoft MU in order to play on someone elses 360? just like many things i will follow the heard and buy a MU so i can take my stuff on the go without hassles.

Monsterbox
01-29-2007, 06:22 PM
probably cause you're failing to read.
Do you just respond off the cuff to the first sentence of something without reading all the way through? I told you how to put your profile on a non-Microsoft issue device. Actually, it will work with anything that is capable of interfacing through USB, including the USB adapters for SD memory cards. If you're that intent on bashing Miscrosoft for using a proprietary hardware scheme (which I was pointing out that Sony has been doing for years) that you won't even listen to a way to solve your problem then you don't really want help, you just want to bitch. In which case, I don't see what the point is in bothering with you anymore on the subject.

dnut24
01-29-2007, 06:23 PM

there's nothign ironic about it. for since the creation of game data saves from PS we had to use memory card from the makers cause thats all there was. there were no memory cards for your digi cams or jump drives.

now on the "next gen" of gaming all consoles except for xbox has done away with their memory cards. both Wii and PS3 uses any type of memory card, not to mention 360 can, but chooses not to. now thats ironic isn't it?

dnut24
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Do you just respond off the cuff to the first sentence of something without reading all the way through? I told you how to put your profile on a non-Microsoft issue device. Actually, it will work with anything that is capable of interfacing through USB, including the USB adapters for SD memory cards. If you're that intent on bashing Miscrosoft for using a proprietary hardware scheme (which I was pointing out that Sony has been doing for years) that you won't even listen to a way to solve your problem then you don't really want help, you just want to bitch. In which case, I don't see what the point is in bothering with you anymore on the subject.

dont miss quote things. that was a response to Kid. and if you read past my first sentence you would see i acknowledged your idea.

bottom line is this fact. you have to buy a MU to make saves easy, safe and portable. the other systems dont. sorry for trying to find a way and not spending 50 bucks on a card rather then buying a game. sorry that my questions and thoughts have offended all the die hard xbox fans.

Kid Pyrrhic
01-29-2007, 06:27 PM
probably cause you're failing to read. you even put in your response exactly what i was referring to. its not an issue of memory size. its an issue of using propriatary equipment to backup files. you have to use the MU to place your game save files to take them to another xbox.

yes i understand the recover system and all and that is good, but recovering on all your friends xbox would be annoying not to mention it will not take your achievements with you (i think, not sure).

are you still failing to understand that you HAVE to buy a microsoft MU in order to play on someone elses 360? just like many things i will follow the heard and buy a MU so i can take my stuff on the go without hassles.

No. I read what you said just fine. You said and I quote "the point was microsoft went out of their way to create this small memory card to force you to pay for backups."

Any basic grasp on the English language would lead someone to understand that your complaint isn't with Microsoft forcing you use their memory card, but rather due to the size...you are required to purchase several to hold all your saves. I'd be willing to post your original response in my English department and ask the professors on your original intention based on your language. I'll let you know when I get a couple of response

Unless, you really do mean what you're claiming. Then you look like a dolt because your complaints are circa 1995 when the Playstation launched. Did you just happen across this epiphany last night?

dnut24
01-29-2007, 06:32 PM
this stuff is so funny how people are so quick to make them selves look smarter. go tell your professor. and by small, i was meaning size of the unit, not memory size. so if you feel to point out specific things to make me look bad, just look at what you wrote. you failed comprehension in the fact you thought by "small' i meant memory size.

Monster has already answered in how to recover the game tag which is helpful. and i have stated that its easier to buy a MU which is what i'll have to do. still i am right in the fact that i have to do this in comparison to other consoles. please show me how i am wrong on this with your wealth of knowledge?

Monsterbox
01-29-2007, 06:33 PM
dont miss quote things. that was a response to Kid. and if you read past my first sentence you would see i acknowledged your idea.

bottom line is this fact. you have to buy a MU to make saves easy, safe and portable. the other systems dont. sorry for trying to find a way and not spending 50 bucks on a card rather then buying a game. sorry that my questions and thoughts have offended all the die hard xbox fans.
Yeah, that's pretty much proof positive that you didn't read a thing I said in my first post to this thread. Nowhere in any of your subsequent posts do you in any way 'acknowledge' my "idea". But hey, you obviously just want to bitch anyway, so flame on. Good luck with your assault on the Microsoft Fortress of Greed™.

dnut24
01-29-2007, 06:38 PM
[quote=dnut24;174618]
quote]

here it is Monster. sorry i shouldv'e made it more apparent i assume, because i wrote this right after your repsonse. but by time it was posted there were like 3 or so more posts which had obviously skewed my response. if it was right after your repsonse maybe you wouldve caught it. i should've made it more clear though, just incase other posts came up or you read it at some other time. thats my fault.

Monsterbox
01-29-2007, 06:46 PM

here it is Monster. sorry i shouldv'e made it more apparent i assume, because i wrote this right after your repsonse. but by time it was posted there were like 3 or so more posts which had obviously skewed my response. if it was right after your repsonse maybe you wouldve caught it. i should've made it more clear though, just incase other posts came up or you read it at some other time. thats my fault.
I got it the first time, and it has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Let me break it down for you in steps:
Turn off your 360 and unplug your HardDrive.
Turn on your system and plug in a USB drive of some sort. (Either a jump drive or some sort of USB conversion for SD cards.)
Run the profile recovery option and bring it down to the USB drive.
Play on anyone's XBox with the profile on the stick. You'll need your USB converter if it's an SD card unit.If you take the time to actually read through this you will note that you only have to recover your profile once. Not on all your friends' machines. You have circumvented the need for a Microsoft issue MU, for whatever reason you feel you need. If your next response is nasty, don't expect any more assistance of any kind from me as this is the second time I've posed a response/solution and the first time you didn't actually read through it.

Additionally, it will bring your achievements anywhere you recover your profile. The gamesaves are local, but your achievements and Gamerscore information are all stored on Live, so if you were connected when you unlocked the achievement, Live knows about it and the next time you recover to a particular source it will update.
However, you do not need to recover your profile more than once for the solution I presented.

Zef
01-29-2007, 06:48 PM
sorry for trying to find a way and not spending 50 bucks on a card rather then buying a game.

Hopefully this will help:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-64MB-Memory-Unit/dp/B000B6MLRS/sr=8-1/qid=1170096019/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8508907-3211356?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

Not $50. $30. That is a 3 followed by a 0. Three. Zero. Thirty. Thiiiiiiiiirty.

So is $30 too much?

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/B4C-00001?mv_pc=msn

$28.15

Buy two of them, then you can backup your cat if you wanted. Microsoft will not get one over on you for that.

You could just buy one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820180629

Then you can really laugh at Microsoft, hell, you and San Disk could have a party to celebrate.

You now have three solutions. Monsterbox's, mine or writing down all of the coding for your save games and copying them into another 360. Just stock up on paper.

Have fun =P

Wreckon Dracgon
01-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Recovering your tag on your friends console will take your achievements with you. It is also a very simple solution that costs you nothing. As long as you are connected to XBLive while you are playing you'll be fine having your gamertag on both consoles.

dnut24
01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
wow umm Monster go take a chill pill. i completely understood the 1st time you wrote and was repsonding to your comments about me not acknowloging your post, which i obviously did as I posted the quote. but being that you had immidiately gone off on a rant even right as i was writing this you cant see clearly enough to accept that. so whatever, i thanked you for your help, you cant see that deal with it yourself. not to mention i just lent yu some help on your PS1 issue.

Zef, thanks for that info, i'll buy one there. my $50 price tags comes from my local circuit city.

i dont see the need for this thread to be open anymore. some people are taking this personally for god knows why. almost like they created the MU themselves or something. my question was answered and recieved other info on how to bypass it. thanks.

Minty
01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
I agree that it should be locked.

The funny thing is, that whenever you have an issue, it seems to end up in you arguing with the people offering help.

Lose the attitude, or will be time out time.