PDA

View Full Version : Bungie: Halo: Reach “in development right since the end of Halo 3″

Daiphyer.
08-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Halo: Reach has been in development since development ended on Halo 3.
That’s what Bungie’s Brian Jarrard told VG247 at GamesCom.
The community manager made the admission as he was talking to us about Halo 3: ODST and how life hasn’t changed much since the studio became an independent studio again after breaking away from Microsoft Games Studios.
“Day to day life hasn’t changed that much. We’ve been super-busy, obviously. We’ve finally been able to announce Halo: Reach, which has been in development right since the end of Halo 3.”
“Having a portion of our team working on ODST while Reach has been going full steam; we’ve been too busy right now to think about too much else. We’re just heads-down making great games. Right now that’s our focus.”
Reach is set long before Halo: Combat Evolved and long before Master Chief was the only spartan left standing, although story specifics are little to zip right now.
The game is due out in fall 2010, but a multiplayer beta token will come with Halo 3: ODST when it launches on September 22.

_____

So, this means Reach will have it's own MP. That's good news I guess.

Veteran
08-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Halo should be buried. They've milked it almost as much as Guitar Hero now. :confused:

Daiphyer.
08-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Honestly I'm interested to see what will come outta Reach, since it's been in production for so long.

crazy W01f 816
08-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Halo should be buried. They've milked it almost as much as Guitar Hero now. :confused:

That's ridiculous. The Halo franchise has been around for 10 years, Guitar Hero has been around for half that time and has twice the amount of Halo games. Besides, you people should stop talking about news you obviously don't care about.

KFZ Scrubs
08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm actually interested to see how well Halo Reach will turn out meself. I'm not a huge halo fan, but i might look into this game when it comes out. I'm already looking into ODST, because your not masterchief.
Also, i'm half hearted about the whole milking Halo thing. I agree that GH was milked the fuck out of with three games coming out after GH5 and more being planned...... but i think it goes to far when this happens:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/news/Halo%20Wars%20RISK.jpg
This is among the many other products they have out there.
But hey, it's business... got nothing against it.

Gorilla Stomper
08-21-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm actually interested to see how well Halo Reach will turn out meself. I'm not a huge halo fan, but i might look into this game when it comes out. I'm already looking into ODST, because your not masterchief.
Also, i'm half hearted about the whole milking Halo thing. I agree that GH was milked the fuck out of with three games coming out after GH5 and more being planned...... but i think it goes to far when this happens:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/news/Halo%20Wars%20RISK.jpg
This is among the many other products they have out there.
But hey, it's business... got nothing against it.

Wow, halo is invading traditional board games, i really hope someone at bungie gets a brainwave and comes up with something not halo.

Vendetta
08-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Personally I am very excited for both ODST & Reach because I have been a Halo fan since day 1.

I just dont get how anyone who has and loves their xbox 360 can absolutely hate Halo since it is the lone reason the 360 exists in the first place. Had Halo & Halo 2 not been on the system quite frankly the xbox would have died like the dreamcast did. Not to say it had all bad games because it had many good ones (Forza, Fable, KOTOR, KOTOR 2, etc...) but the fact remains that Halo: CE & Halo 2 were the lifelines that kept the original xbox alive and subsequently spawned the birth of the 360.

One could argue now that the xbox wouldn't need a Halo to carry it and I would have to agree with that. Gears, Fable, Forza, and Mass Effect among others can carry the system now (and I am referencing exclusives in particular). But to absolutely condemn and hate halo is just ridiculous in my mind if you are a 360 gamer since that hardware would not be in your hands if it wasn't for that series. [/rant]

I am not shocked Reach has been in development since Halo 3. Bungie is pretty good about keeping things hush hush.

Porpoise King
08-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Kinda weird there is really not much information on Reach but a beta is coming out in a month...

Coadster1
08-21-2009, 10:26 PM
So they were hiding something from us, the whole time!

dark lord me
08-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Kinda weird there is really not much information on Reach but a beta is coming out in a month... It wont be coming out in a month. It will be like Crackdown with the Halo 3 beta. You got the ability to play it ... when it is released

[Ax2:SG]
08-21-2009, 10:35 PM
I hope I don't get dissapointed with ODST...
If not, I'd look forward to play Reach. :D

Darth Grif55
08-21-2009, 11:41 PM
& COD hasn't? There's a new COD game every year.

Gorilla Stomper
08-21-2009, 11:47 PM
& COD hasn't? There's a new COD game every year.

CoD is actually good though...

VladimirK
08-22-2009, 12:03 AM

And so it begins... :rolleyes:

EOU Findub
08-22-2009, 12:05 AM

Playing the devil's advocate here...CoD is the same idea in different formats. They now have FOUR CoDs dealing with WWII. I don't think it is a bad game, but I would chose Halo over CoD. This is a personal preference but they certainly have not only milked the Guitar Hero franchise dry, they have done so with Call of Duty and Halo.

As long as people keep buying, they will keep on making games and slapping the Halo, Guitar Hero, or Call of Duty franchise on them.

And so it begins... :rolleyes:

LOL...well said. Always has to be some homer to ruin a thread.

Simzo
08-22-2009, 12:11 AM

Yes, but the quality of the games have stayed the same. While in Guitar Hero's case I'm sure you know.

Gorilla Stomper
08-22-2009, 12:16 AM
maybe i should've put JOKE in big letters. hmm

VladimirK
08-22-2009, 12:28 AM
maybe i should've put JOKE in big letters. hmm

Don't act like you are stupid.
How many Halo fanboys would read that and immediately flame it?

Daiphyer.
08-22-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm not really into this ODST. Halo is a slow game, and adding a sandbox style to a slow game is not a good game mechanic. I mean in the demo at E3, the guy just took about 20 seconds to get to the objective (and that's a demo!), now imagine for how long you gonna just wonder around to get to a objective.
And plz don't start a CoD vs Halo fight over here, I don't want my topic to be closed.

Darth Grif55
08-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Well, I hate when COD fanboys hate on Halo for a having a couple new games, when there's a new COD out every year. (I don't hate COD though, I'm loving WAW & plan on pre-ordering MW2 to get COD1 for free)

VladimirK
08-22-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm actually really looking forward to the sandbox style.
But then again, I love spending hours on WRPGs just exploring and stuff.

I do think that it might have been a better idea to add more RPG elements like levelling if they want to do that though.
Right enough, Bioshock was really good and it had sandbox style gameplay.

Daiphyer.
08-22-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm actually really looking forward to the sandbox style.
But then again, I love spending hours on WRPGs just exploring and stuff.

I do think that it might have been a better idea to add more RPG elements like levelling if they want to do that though.
Right enough, Bioshock was really good and it had sandbox style gameplay.

You didn't get my point, I mean the character moves slowly, the guy in Bioshock moved pretty swift; and as it doesn't have any RPG elements, I don't think it will be worth it to explore everywhere slowly.

Waggaz
08-22-2009, 12:59 AM
If it has a new/its own MP it'll be good as.
Plus it sounds intriguing that there's lots of spartans.

VladimirK
08-22-2009, 01:00 AM
You didn't get my point, I mean the character moves slowly, the guy in Bioshock moved pretty swift; and as it doesn't have any RPG elements, I don't think it will be worth it to explore everywhere slowly.

Haha, I thought you meant that the story moved slowly.
Like takes its time to play out.

dark lord me
08-22-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm both a Cod Fan since like CoD 2 ( So not one of them who just got into it after 4)
I'm also a Halo Fan since Halo 2 (When I got my Xbox)
I'm looking forward to Halo Reach and for whoever said it takes place ages before the original Halo

The battle of Reach started August 30, 2552
The battle of Instillation 04 started September 19th 2552
And the Pillar of Autom fled during the battle and jumped to slipspace and it jumped to Instillation 04 so they took place right after eachother

I use to be a Guitar Hero fan till GH:WT came out...since them I stick with Rock Band.

DTwirler
08-22-2009, 01:40 AM
NO excuses then, for such a long development time, this game should be kick-ass.

dakisbac
08-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Halo 3 was in development since Halo 2 came out, so roughly 3 years, and it was pretty average IMO. Halo 2 > Halo 3

Kaiyo
08-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Anything awesome that comes out into the world then the consumers and companies will try milk them out dry.

SetsunaFSeiei
08-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Well Halo is no different from any other big franchise

You have Final Fantasy going up to 13 yet gamers are still excited about it

You have Call of Duty, with a second Call of duty 4: Modern Warfare

You have Super Mario and his list of kiddy little games as well as Sonic

If the companies make money off them , they'll keep milking evey last cent they can off of it ... and it works

[EDIT]:

Halo:Combat Evolved > Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Halo Wars > Halo 3: ODST > Halo: Reach

Call of Duty > CoD: United Offensive >CoD 2 > CoD 3 > CoD 4: Modern Warfare > CoD World at War > CoD 4 :Modern Warfare 2 ? > Soon CoD7 (Working Title)

Frankly CoD fans shouldnt be talking complaining about the growing Halo Franchise, its all about the Gamers interest, CoD fans like the realistic warfare while Halo fans like the sci-fi stuff we wish he could do, its all about preferences

arbiter4566
08-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Well, your character in fallout did move pretty slowly, didn't seem like much of a problem..... They should add in vehicles just in case though.

TheVoidRose
08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
So Halo:Reach, what kind of game is it going to be? I heard things of it being MMO, if that is true then I will buy Halo:ODST just for Halo:Reach beta!

Daiphyer.
08-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, your character in fallout did move pretty slowly, didn't seem like much of a problem..... They should add in vehicles just in case though.

Because there was a fast travel system that saved you from spending hours wondering around in wasteland; and you could increase the agility of your person to make him move faster; and it wasn't a FPS, it was a RPG.

and @ TheVoidRose (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=101380), I believe it'll be in the same genre as the other halos (except Halo wars).