PDA

View Full Version : Essential Games

jobless sam
08-22-2009, 09:57 PM
PLEASE READ BELOW
I'm making a list of the essential, must have retail and arcade games for Xbox 360. Games will be based upon reviews, videos, descriptions etc. Members can post as many suggestions as they wish. BUT games will only go on this list if i believe they a worthy. New gamers can use this thread as an idea of what games to buy. Old gamers can use this thread simply for games they may have overlooked.

In alphabetical order
Retail:

Assassins Creed - Third person action-adventure
Bioshock - First person shooter
Call of Duty 4 - First person shooter
Call of Duty: World at War - First person shooter
Fable 2 - Action role-playng
Fallout 3 - Action role-playing
Gears of War - Third person shooter
Gears of War 2 - Third person shooter
Guitar Hero 3 - Music simulation
Halo 3 - First person shooter
Left 4 Dead - First person shooter
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Role-playing

Arcade:

Castle Crashers - RPG action

Thanks

jobless sam

p.s. PLEASE DO NOT TO POST GAMES THAT ARE ALREADY ONE THE LIST!!!
p.p.s. ONLY POST GAMES THAT YOU WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

B1GgYsMA1lz
08-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Lets get the obvious ones out of the way
Bioshock
Halo
The Orange Box
Mass Effect
Gears 1/2
Fallout
Oblivion

a couple of my opinion
Viva Pinata
Dead Space
Ninja Gaiden 2
Lost Odyssey
Left 4 dead
Assassins creed

jobless sam
08-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Lets get the obvious ones out of the way
Bioshock
Halo
The Orange Box
Mass Effect
Gears 1/2
Fallout
Oblivion

a couple of my opinion
Viva Pinata
Dead Space
Ninja Gaiden 2
Lost Odyssey
Left 4 dead
Assassins creed

Aww i miss playng Viva Pinata, sold it a while back. I miss spending endless hours on it :P
You never to old to play Viva Pinata

v_thorne
08-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Retail:

Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Halo 3
Bioshock
Call of Duty 4
Rock Band 2
The Orange Box
Lost Odyssey
Left 4 Dead
Fallout 3
Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion
Deadspace
Ninja Gaiden 2
Viva Pinata
Assassian's Creed
Mass Effect
Guitar Hero III
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Devil May Cry 4
Street Figher IV
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Arcade:

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
Cloning Clyde
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Alien Homoid
Castle Crashers

Bleeding Star
08-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Mass Effect
Dead Rising
Shadow Complex

IDunc
08-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Halo 3
Mass Effect
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Gears of War 1/2
Oblivion
Left 4 Dead
Assassin's Creed
BioShock
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty World at War
Rack Band 2

jobless sam
08-22-2009, 10:24 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry one quick question
How do you sort words alphabetically in Microsoft Word?

EDIT: Nevermind i put them into a table and sorted it that way

IDunc
08-22-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't think you can, you have to do it manually.

Vendetta
08-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Arcade:
Braid, Castle Crashers, Portal: Still Alive, Castlevania SOTN,

Retail: (In order, these are not on the list as of my post)
Tales of Vesperia, Dead Rising, Mirrors Edge, Ninja Gaiden II, Resident Evil 5

Tom115
08-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Guitar Hero 3.

jobless sam
08-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Arcade:
Braid, Castle Crashers, Portal: Still Alive, Castlevania SOTN,

Retail: (In order, these are not on the list as of my post)
Tales of Vesperia, Dead Rising, Mirrors Edge, Ninja Gaiden II, Resident Evil 5

actually i'm suprised mirrors edge hasn't already been mentioned. i thought it was a brilliant game

Vendetta
08-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Also to the OP...

You put Ninja Gaiden II as "Ninja Gaiden 3".

Might want to fix that ;)

Also want to put my two cents in and vote for Splinter Cell: Double Agent as well.

jobless sam
08-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Also to the OP...

You put Ninja Gaiden II as "Ninja Gaiden 3".

Might want to fix that ;)

Also want to put my two cents in and vote for Splinter Cell: Double Agent as well.

Ah yes, thank you for that

Edits: typo fixed, Splinter Cell added

IDunc
08-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2

jobless sam
08-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Rainbow Six 2 added... only played the first one, should really buy the second just to see if its as good or better
Typos fixed

HellzDream
08-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Retail: Prototype, Saints Row, Battlefield: Bad Company, Fable 2, Bully: Scolarship Eddition, Army of Two, Amped 3.

Arcade: Geometry Wars Evolved 2, Shadow Complex.

Jethrow
08-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Retail:

Dead Space - Third person survival horror-action
Devil May Cry 4 - Action
Mass Effect - Action role-playing
Ninja Gaiden II - Action Adventure
Rock Band 2 - Music simulation
The Orange Box - First person shooter and puzzle
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - First person shooter
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Stealth

I think everyone is different and of course have different styles and likes. I highlighted the ones that, imo, aren't important to me at all.

I think i'd add ufc 2009 and cod 5 for sure. Burnout revenge i think is a classic that should be ther.

Nightbeam
08-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Everyone has their own opinion, even though the majority might be more enticed to the game. The only one I disagree with on that list is Ninja Gaiden II, its best not to remember that that game even came out.

Sizzlebuzz
08-23-2009, 01:24 AM
The best pure RPG for this system, which had many "Tales Of" series before it, is Tales of Vesperia.

If you want a real RPG, where all you do is kill monsters to level up, up to level 200, buy Tales of Vesperia. The achievements are by far the most challenging that any pure RPG on the XBOX has to offer.

THIS IS NOT AN ACTION RPG like fallout 3, and mass effect (which are great and I have 1k in), which is why I am posting it.

neok182
08-23-2009, 02:09 AM
off the top of my head oblivion and lego star wars complete saga (yes i said it), and burnout paradise for retail.

Uno for arcade. all i can think of right now.

Coadster1
08-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Retail:
Call of Duty: World at War
.skate

LIVE Arcade:
Battlefield 1943

jobless sam
08-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Everyone has their own opinion, even though the majority might be more enticed to the game. The only one I disagree with on that list is Ninja Gaiden II, its best not to remember that that game even came out.

Isn't it Ninja Gaiden thats impossibly hard?
Added (retail): Fable 2, Tales of Veperia, Call of Duty: World at War
Added (arcade): Shadow Complex

master_shake_350
08-23-2009, 10:23 AM
In alphabetical order
Retail:

Assassins Creed - Third person action-adventure - NO
Bioshock - First person shooter - Maybe
Call of Duty 4 - First person shooter - Yes
Dead Space - Third person survival horror-action - NO
Devil May Cry 4 - Action - NO
Fallout 3 - Action role-playing - NO
Gears of War - Third person shooter - NO
Gears of War 2 - Third person shooter - NO
Guitar Hero 3 - Music simulation - NO
Halo 3 - First person shooter - NO
Left 4 Dead - First person shooter - NO
Mass Effect - Action role-playing - NO
Ninja Gaiden II - Action Adventure - NO
Rock Band 2 - Music simulation - NO
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Role-playing - NO
The Orange Box - First person shooter and puzzle - Yes
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - First person shooter - NO
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Stealth - NO

Arcade:

Castle Crashers - RPG action - Yes

I would also add Forza 2, PGR 4, Battlefield Bad Company and GRiD.

Sizzlebuzz
08-23-2009, 03:02 PM
I would also add Forza 2, PGR 4, Battlefield Bad Company and GRiD.

Forza 2 is the worst game I have ever played. Anyone still online is going to be way too good for you to be a challenge, and single player is totally not worth it.

"Lets all grind the same track 400 times for 1 level, when we need 10 to unlock a new race.. with the same track!"

Wait for 3.

jobless sam
08-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Forza 2 is the worst game I have ever played. Anyone still online is going to be way too good for you to be a challenge, and single player is totally not worth it.

"Lets all grind the same track 400 times for 1 level, when we need 10 to unlock a new race.. with the same track!"

Wait for 3.

haha lol
... but couldn't you say that about any racing game :P

Sizzlebuzz
08-23-2009, 03:21 PM
haha lol
... but couldn't you say that about any racing game :P

I'm not so sure. I think Forza was the first game to include levels into it? Not 100% sure on that though. I just think making racer levels in a racing game isn't too great. I mean, money, unlocking new cars, sure. But making a game have racing levels is overkill.

It takes the fun out of the game. I mean, you do 100 races on the same 7 tracks, cars riding you all the 8 laps of each race, them hitting you and giving you penalties, and you're no longer having fun. Heh.

MJGB
08-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Bully: SE
Peggle
Hitman: Bloody Money
Call Of Duty 2

LoathsumVangard
08-23-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with v thorne that Lost Odyssey belongs on that list as well as be the first to propose Shadowrun be added to the list. Fafsa may have closed but in a generation of FPS's Shadowrun is the only one that really stands out from the pack. Other than that great list, all my must haves are up already.

Sizzlebuzz
08-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with v thorne that Lost Odyssey belongs on that list as well as be the first to propose Shadowrun be added to the list. Fafsa may have closed but in a generation of FPS's Shadowrun is the only one that really stands out from the pack. Other than that great list, all my must haves are up already.

Lost Odyssey is only good to those who never played Tales of Vesperia. And those lost in early xbox nostalgia.

The leveling system is very crappy most of all, I mean gaining instant levels for defeating a monster higher than you? And all of the achievements are incredibly easy.

I agree, it was a DECENT RPG, but it was far from being great. To actually reach the max level on that game, you only have to do 2 real hours of grinding. And that's with having 8 characters.

The game has almost 0% battle difficulty. With the easy levels, and the 5 charter party with 4 members being able to take any role, it's far too easy.

This game is not a MUST HAVE. I did play this of course, I even bought the DLC for it. I have played just about every US RPG for the 360. I like them all. But this is totally an optional game. I did like it, but I would not play it ever again upon completing it.

But, the Xbox is short on good pure RPG's, so I am unsure on where this really stands to many people. I am just stating my opinion.

Purge
08-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Seems like eventually we'll list every single game. People have different opinions on different games.

1 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2 - The Orange Box
3 - Bioshock
4 - Halo 3
5 - Call of Duty 2
6 - Mass Effect
7 - Gears of War
8 - Fallout 3
9 - Fable 2
10 - Rock Band

I don't believe the following highlighted one's belong on the essential list but this is my opinion not the general opinion.

Call of Duty: World at War - First person shooter
Dead Space - Third person survival horror-action
Devil May Cry 4 - Action
Fable 2 - Action role-playng
Mass Effect - Action role-playing
Ninja Gaiden II - Action Adventure
Rock Band 2 - Music simulation
Tales of Vesperia - Role-playing
The Orange Box - First person shooter and puzzle
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - First person shooter
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Stealth

Unterofficer
08-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Rainbow Six 2 added... only played the first one, should really buy the second just to see if its as good or better
Suggest you do it. Singleplayer is about as good, but multiplayer is way better.

Anyway some suggestions.
Arcade: Portal, Duke Nukem 3D
Retail: Well the list have all the worthwhile games on it.

Sha
08-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Funny to see that most of the retail games listed are shooters..

Arcade : 'Splosion Man, Portal and Uno

jobless sam
08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Added (rental): Bully: Scholarship Edition, Lost Odyssey
Added (arcade): Portal: Still Alive, Uno
Purge - I thought Assassin's Creed, COD: World at War, Gears 2 (didn't really think much of the online matchmaking) were amazing game. But fair enough, everyones entitled to their own opinion

krab3k
08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I think GTAIV should be on there. I know it's not a favourite of a lot of people, but you have to give Rockstar credit for the effort put into the DLC.

As for Arcade, gotta be Monkey Island!!! :woop:

oRedBull
08-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Battlefield: 1943 (arcade shooter), Battlefield: Bad Company (FPS)

jobless sam
08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Added (rental): Battlefield: Bad Company
Added (arcade): Battlefield: 1943
i remember ages ago playing battlefield at our local leisure centre. they'd set up about 10 computers in a room and just have an all out war

Sizzlebuzz
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Added (rental): Battlefield: Bad Company
Added (arcade): Battlefield: 1943
i remember ages ago playing battlefield at our local leisure centre. they'd set up about 10 computers in a room and just have an all out war

I think you should make this less random. I don't think this is going to end well if it continues with going only off of the opinions of people who submit the game.

There will always be people who love games more than any other game due to sentimental reasons. Your job, as the thread starter, is to take into account the every aspect of the game, and possibly comparing it to other games in it's on genre as well. Without favoring any game over the other beforehand.

jobless sam
08-24-2009, 02:59 PM
I think you should make this less random. I don't think this is going to end well if it continues with going only off of the opinions of people who submit the game.

There will always be people who love games more than any other game due to sentimental reasons. Your job, as the thread starter, is to take into account the every aspect of the game, and possibly comparing it to other games in it's on genre as well. Without favoring any game over the other beforehand.

I'm not putting up the games that i like. All the games on the list have been posted by 2+ members NOT me. i was just recollecting playing battlefield as a young kid.
I understand that everyone has different tastes and that there is no way of making this for everyone. But this is just a rough guide of great games for newbies or oldies that the majority of members recommend.
I would take every game into account and decide which ones were the best in there genre etc, but that would be unfair and bias + i don't have the money to play all those games and determine which ones are the best :p

Sizzlebuzz
08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm not putting up the games that i like. All the games on the list have been posted by 2+ members NOT me. i was just recollecting playing battlefield as a young kid.
I understand that everyone has different tastes and that there is no way of making this for everyone. But this is just a rough guide of great games for newbies or oldies that the majority of members recommend.
I would take every game into account and decide which ones were the best in there genre etc, but that would be unfair and bias + i don't have the money to play all those games and determine which ones are the best :p

I understand, but this is going to be a pretty meaty ESSENTIALS list. And half of them would be hated by the reader. I just don't want to see a list that has half of the game lacking entertainment to just about every person reading it. The games will change from person to person, but the number of unliked games grows for some with every game added to the list.

I would suggest going to reviews, and maybe reading a little about each game you decide to put in the guide. And while doing so, taking into account that over time more is expected from games, so the older that game is, less was expected from it at the time.

And no, that would not be unfair or biased. In fact, it would be the opposite. Going purely on facts about each game and determining which game is better, is pretty unbiased.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I am merely trying to help. So if any of this is offensive to you, it's probably just the way I type.

jobless sam
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I understand, but this is going to be a pretty meaty ESSENTIALS list. And half of them would be hated by the reader. I just don't want to see a list that has half of the game lacking entertainment to just about every person reading it. The games will change from person to person, but the number of unliked games grows for some with every game added to the list.

I would suggest going to reviews, and maybe reading a little about each game you decide to put in the guide. And while doing so, taking into account that over time more is expected from games, so the older that game is, less was expected from it at the time.

And no, that would not be unfair or biased. In fact, it would be the opposite. Going purely on facts about each game and determining which game is better, is pretty unbiased.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I am merely trying to help. So if any of this is offensive to you, it's probably just the way I type.

Haha it'll take more to offend me than that :P
Tell you what! i'll create a poll thread and let other members decide whether it should stay like this or i take your advice and put games up there based on reviews, comments, videos etc
Hope nothing i've said offends or sounds argumentative as well

Sizzlebuzz
08-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Haha it'll take more to offend me than that :P
Tell you what! i'll create a poll thread and let other members decide whether it should stay like this or i take your advice and put games up there based on reviews, comments, videos etc

Good, because I had no intentions of doing so.

As for comparing them with other games, this list should be of essential games that they will really enjoy, and are the best of their genre. I am not saying that there can't be multiple games from the same genre, as every game is different, but you should limit it somehow.

And in this case, comparing games of the same genre that YOU don't think should be on the list, should be a must. Anything you think should be on the list, be it from personal experience or many good reviews, should go on the list, because in the end, it's up to you. But for the games you are unsure of, you should compare them to other games of the same category.

Taking my advice isn't a big deal heh. It's ultimately all up to what you think is best.

RagingClue
08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
i cant believe there is no racing games or sport games. i personally would put fifa 09 and race driver GRID up but i know forza 2 is better but ive never played it.

I would add
forza 2
fifa 09

jobless sam
08-24-2009, 04:02 PM
i cant believe there is no racing games or sport games. i personally would put fifa 09 and race driver GRID up but i know forza 2 is better but ive never played it.

I would add
forza 2
fifa 09

Go to this thread and vote how you'd like this thread to be run
LINK (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2292579&posted=1#post2292579)

Blue Radium
08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Of course everyone's opinion is going to be different, but a lot of those games aren't trademark 360 games. When I think of essential, I think of the games that are hugely acclaimed, have a large fanboy crowd, and an even larger anti-fanboy crowd.

So saying that-

Halo 3
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Bioshock
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Mass Effect
Fable 2

I enjoy every game on your original list that I have played, but most don't strike me as one of those games that you are sort of required to have played as a 360 owner.

As for arcade games, there are only a few I can think of that define the marketplace-

Castle Crashers
Uno
Braid

Jeff.Spectre
08-24-2009, 09:26 PM
if want to do some JRPGin then BlueDragon is fantastic for casual playin
i like JRPG's but i'm not super into them but i really enjoyed BlueDragon....plus its an old game so u can pick it up super cheap :P

and crackdown......just hours of mindless fun

Vendetta
08-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Braid & uno for arcade essentials!

jobless sam
08-26-2009, 04:45 PM
!!!!ATTENTION!!!!
Ok. I have now changed the rules of this thread. Starting after this post, games that are posted will be checked over using reviews, videos etc. Only games that i believe worthy will go up on the list.

From now I have put obvious essential games based upon reviews, videos, descriptions, polls up on the list

Users are still able to post recommendations, but i will have the say to whether they will go on the list

Thank you