PDA

View Full Version : a bit of a disappointment...

D4B0MB1N4T10N
08-23-2009, 03:48 AM
so, at work yesterday (gamestop) we got in our arkham asylum CE's for ps3 and 360. we opened one up to check out the batarang, and were sorely disappointed:

first, it was plastic. wasnt it supposed to be metal? and i understand if it was for safety's sake.

secondly, its attached to a stand, so u cant even nthrow it or separate. again, maybe (probably) for safety's sake.

third, with it being plastic, it was very scratched up. the entire 'rang had scratch marks from left to right across the whole thing, big long streaks.

we thought this 'rang look aboslutley horrible, it was such a letdown. and i know, its only a batarang, but its a collector's item afterall, but with how this looks, i dont think anyones gonna want it.

anyone else encounter the same issue at all? just curious if they are all like that.

Son of Kyuss
08-23-2009, 03:55 AM
I'm pretty sure they made it plastic/non-detachable because if it was made of metal and able to be taken off the stand and thrown, it would be considered a weapon.

VladimirK
08-23-2009, 03:59 AM
That's BS that they can't even be detatched.

They should have just made the CE an M/18+.

Vendetta
08-23-2009, 04:01 AM
This makes me glad that I for once had some self control and didnt waste my money on a CE. Now I will wait for them to inevitably drop in price and be flooded onto ebay. Look on the bright side here though at least the game will rock :)

D4B0MB1N4T10N
08-23-2009, 04:03 AM
true, the game still looks great, but the batarang is basically what sold the CE in the first place, now its here and it looks like crap. definitely not CE worthy.

Xedoss
08-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Ok, this finalizes it for me. I'm cancelling my CE. I was thinking about this anyway, since it's 30 euro's more.

KNIGHTOFSERA
08-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I was going to buy the collectors but when I heard it was attached to the stand it was a no buy....damn safety I say

D4B0MB1N4T10N
08-23-2009, 02:47 PM
lol, sorry guys, dont really mean to spoil it for ya, but i guess since it doesnt look great, i kinda wanted to warn others first as well.

on a side note, yesterday at work we already had a price drop on the CE as well. it dropped from $99 to $89 (CDN).

Sizzlebuzz
08-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. For those who really wanted it, sure, I guess it is. But they can't be handing out flying metal weapons that can take a chunk out of someones head.

Vandit96
08-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Lame...plastic?
Ah well...but...i'm curios about the reviews....
People can't wait for some games and pre-order like hell....and when they play it it's shit....bad reviews....etc
I'm curios about this one:woop:

exo-apollo
08-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Lame...plastic?
People can't wait for some games and pre-order like hell....and when they play it it's shit....bad reviews....etc

There are quite a few positive reviews out there right now, IGN gave it 9.3 and it's sitting on a 91 overall on Metacritic, which is pretty damn good.

Sizzlebuzz
08-23-2009, 03:23 PM
There are quite a few positive reviews out there right now, IGN gave it 9.3 and it's sitting on a 91 overall on Metacritic, which is pretty damn good.

I heard the demo was really good from my friends. My brother in law plays PS3, and he said it was really good as well.

Besides, it's a super-hero game. Half of em' are decent :).

Daiphyer.
08-23-2009, 05:55 PM
true, the game still looks great, but the batarang is basically what sold the CE in the first place, now its here and it looks like crap. definitely not CE worthy.

Does that CE stand for Crappy Edition ?

D4B0MB1N4T10N
08-24-2009, 05:41 AM
lol, apprently the game is only like $40 as well.

In canada here, aapparently wal-mart is selling batman for $40 (CDN), so at gamestop, we are selling it for $38.98 (batman) for both consoles. i preordered mine today, u cant go wrong with a price like that!!!!!

vv uk garf vv
08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
won't be getting the ce but will deffo be getting the game tried the demo and it was mint :)

TheLastAntidote
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I can understand totally being let down on the quality of the batarang, especially for the price you're paying, being that it's a collector's edition, but seriously, how many of you would actually be throwing the stupid thing if it were metal and detachable?

You just know some fucktard out there who has no business breeding would end up seriously hurting someone with it.

Sha
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Well, I suppose a plastic batarang including it's attached stand will probably hurt too when someone throws it at you :)

TheLastAntidote
08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, I suppose a plastic batarang including it's attached stand will probably hurt too when someone throws it at you :)

You're probably right, heh... Unless the plastic material is flimsy.

Juzt Skillz
08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure they made it plastic/non-detachable because if it was made of metal and able to be taken off the stand and thrown, it would be considered a weapon.

Then it should have been made of metal but could not be taken off.

Sizzlebuzz
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Then it should have been made of metal but could not be taken off.

A week later 4 people would have been bludgeoned to death or impaled with a sharp piece of metal attached to a stand =\. People are stupid. I think it's stupid that they promised something and let people down, but I can see why they had to do it.

It's a lose win situation. But, at least it the game isn't $60.

VladimirK
08-24-2009, 03:41 PM
I have to disagree with the reason that it's safer.

Of course they will use that excuse to make them look better, but it's cost.
They could just get it in a single plastic mold this way, far cheaper than metal.

You can buy weapons legally enough, so why not just bump the CE to 18+ then make it far better?
Who cares about some whack job that will hurt someone with it?
People forget that they will just find something else to hurt someone with.

Gladiator
08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
this dosent bother me much, i dislike figurines cause theyre ust to be looked at. Sucks for who preordered it though

D4B0MB1N4T10N
08-24-2009, 03:50 PM
ill try to get a picture up today after work if i can.

and yes, it is funny how they promised something without even thinking about it in the long run. it may be due to safety concerns, but like someone said, it could also be due to manufacturing issues/costs.

and yet games can still come in tin cases, is that not more costly than just a simple, standard batarang?

Sizzlebuzz
08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
I have to disagree with the reason that it's safer.

Of course they will use that excuse to make them look better, but it's cost.
They could just get it in a single plastic mold this way, far cheaper than metal.

You can buy weapons legally enough, so why not just bump the CE to 18+ then make it far better?
Who cares about some whack job that will hurt someone with it?
People forget that they will just find something else to hurt someone with.

Bumping the CE up to 18+ would get them a lot less profit. There are many parents out there that are crazy about stuff like that. And selling plastic is cheaper than selling metal for one. hey probably made much more profit.

As for hurting someone, there is hurting someone on purpose, and hurting someone by accident. A metal flying weapon from a cartoon or comic book would ACCIDENTALLY hurt people. Because there are people out there that would like to play batman. One wrong throw and someone is hurt.

Now, I don't think people are going to buy a metal batarang and intentionally hurt people with it. Why not just buy a gun? I was talking about accidental injuries, to others and self.

VladimirK
08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Got mine today from UPS, I loathe import tax. F-ing 30 to bring it into the country.

But still, I thought OP was just being over the top when I read the thread before.

He isn't.
It honestly looks like they have just been rubbing it against a brick wall before the put it in the box.

Supposedly it's meant to looks like that so that, "It looks like Batman has used it."
Yeah right.

scud1888
08-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Supposedly it's meant to looks like that so that, "It looks like Batman has used it."
Yeah right.

I think thats outstanding myself, from a purely comical standpoint at least, im sure id be raging if id actually bought something like that.

VladimirK
08-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I think thats outstanding myself, from a purely comical standpoint at least, im sure id be raging if id actually bought something like that.

I think for people in the UK it will be worse.
The leather cover on the artbook and the fancy molded case, although cheap plastic, make it seem better.

As far as I'm aware it's just a cardboard cover and no leather artbook cover in the UK CE.

My Gamertag is Papa Skull
08-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah I don't think they would actually make a real Batarang for kids buying it for like 50 dollars extra. LOl

Geddlo
08-27-2009, 02:01 AM
I have no problem with the "used" look of the batarang. Its a display piece and it looks really good displayed on my tv.

Were you upset too when you found out you couldn't wear the master Chief helmet that came with the Halo 3 LE?

VladimirK
08-27-2009, 02:15 AM
@Papa Skull: Have you seen it? I noticed another post very similar to the one here. It is honestly like a really cheap piece of plastic and just rubbing it on a brick wall. Way too many scratches even for "used".

@Geddlo: Don't be so stupid. Anyone with half a brain knows that they are just for display. But you really think people would have been happy if they opened their Legendary Edition and there was a giant hole in their helmet and the only excuse for it was, "It's meant to be like that. Gives it a used feeling, know like he's had a headshot"?

Dz06lt
08-27-2009, 02:30 AM
another reason why collectors editions suck ass and rip you off

Soilydude
08-27-2009, 02:30 AM
This it?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/04/batman_aa_ce.jpg

Bet I could kill someone with it... >.>

But seriously, it doesn't exactly look 'safe'

VladimirK
08-27-2009, 02:42 AM
This it?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/04/batman_aa_ce.jpg

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=93710&page=2

This is a better view.
Scroll down and there 2 different people posting pics of theirs.
(Remember and compare it to the one in the pre order picture).

D4B0MB1N4T10N
08-27-2009, 06:16 AM
thanks vladimir, that thread really helps, i guess they all look that awful. its pretty lame.

and that one guy is right, there was no mention that they were in fact going to be plastic and friggin ugly as hell.

but again, look at vladimir's post, click the link, and you;ll see how disappointing that rang looks. pretty f'in pathetic.

Sizzlebuzz
08-27-2009, 06:35 AM
Yeah, it does look pretty horrible. I wonder why they even did it.

scud1888
08-27-2009, 09:22 AM
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=93710&page=2

This is a better view.
Scroll down and there 2 different people posting pics of theirs.
(Remember and compare it to the one in the pre order picture).

Looking at those pictures if they had just kept the scratchings at the edges of the "blades" it would look a lot more acceptable than running right across the face of it, it looks like someone got a little carried away TBH.

Im sure from a distance on display it would look ok, im not into collecting junk though so im in no way the best judge.

Waggaz
08-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Lame...plastic?

Thats why you play the demo.. and the demo was fucking awesome :)

Tiberian
08-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Pretty much. That and metal stuff is expense to produce, were as plastic stuff isn't.

VladimirK
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Thats why you play the demo.. and the demo was fucking awesome :)

I finished the story and about 80% of the Riddler things today.

I honestly think that it is now one of my favourite games. :)
Usually I hate a lot of stealth, but even that was fun in it. :eek:

Boiled Frogs
08-27-2009, 12:27 PM
when i worked at GAME the halo 3 models were always being returned due to breakages etc.

My friend got the knives from chronicles of riddick though, and theyre pretty awesome, metal, quite sharp, come with a stand but you can take them off and use them to actually kill people (if you felt the need)

Jappe XBA
08-27-2009, 12:32 PM
That's BS that they can't even be detatched.

They should have just made the CE an M/18+.

Exactly what we were talking about with my friends a little time ago: it's not good enough Batman smash/kill/hit/punch/cracka/dacka/ding game if it's not rated M. But it's propably rated T for it to sell more?

VladimirK
08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Exactly what we were talking about with my friends a little time ago: it's not good enough Batman smash/kill/hit/punch/cracka/dacka/ding game if it's not rated M. But it's propably rated T for it to sell more?

That's one of the reasons I like the Punisher so much.
It isn't this not killing enemies crap, he just kills them, no nonsense.