PDA

View Full Version : guitar hero or rock band?

sixgun91
08-23-2009, 03:44 PM
I see a lot of hate whenever rock band dlc is announced or anything guitar hero is shown on the main page so i just wanted to see what the community actually says.

p.s. sorry if someone already had this poll i looked and didnt find it

Sizzlebuzz
08-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Same thing anymore.

neok182
08-23-2009, 03:56 PM
personally i'm with rock band all the way. 1000 DLC songs by the end of the year and i only had to buy one game.

With Guitar Hero you get DLC but you also have to buy a new $60 game each year.

and and rock band/harmonix seems to get EVERY single guitar hero exclusive song eventually.

dakisbac
08-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm tired of seeing this thread being made, because it brings the fanboys out from hiding. I started on GH and have stuck with GH (but of course, I've played RB). I don't particularly enjoy either anymore, since I wish it stayed guitar/bass only, but as for moving to band play and on, GH is my choice.

The two are now moreorless the exact same games. The main difference is the engines, which makes RB more difficult (which I guess some enjoy) because the timing on the notes is VERY tight and that they've added/tweaked some features to one game that aren't in the other.

I haven't bought DLC for any music game since GH3, and it's going to stay that way. The library of songs for RB is impressive, but the number means nothing to me. How many of their 1000 songs do I like? Not many. That may just be me though. Either way they've certainly got GH beat in that department, but again, since I have not and will not buy any it doesn't really matter. I am tired of that being touted as the reason for RB's superiority though, since it doesn't apply to people like me or people without Live, which makes up the majority of players.

Since I've mentioned both the engines and DLC I'd like to comment on DLC compatibility. The reason that ALL RB DLC is forward and backward compatible is because the games use the same engine. In all honesty, that says (to me) that they didn't put too much time putting the next game together since they didn't even bother with an upgrade, but in this case it works out better for us. GH DLC is not forward compatible mainly because the introduction of new instruments and then because of a modified engine. It IS still possible for the content to be compatible across games, as demonstrated with Metallica's Death Magnetic, but look how much space on the HD that takes up. If one had all GH DLC and it was cross compatible that would fill up more space than triple the songs from RB.

Jemocasa
08-23-2009, 05:21 PM
I prefer Rock Band due to the compatibility of DLC, and the sheer amount of it. I don't think anyone is going to purchase all of it, but with such a large selection, I'm sure that there is something for everyone (unless you're just not interested in their DLC at all).

TheVoidRose
08-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I voted Rock Band, as it doe eventaully get every song that Guitar Hero does. As well as, I have had Rock Band 2 for more over a year and I can still play it for a whole other year and still be able to buy songs online and play it on my first Rock Band game if I ever felt like it.

I would like to see more Paramore stuff on Rock Band tho, and Metallica but I think they already sold their souls to the Devil. I mean License to Actavision..

I don't like that guitar hero had poor songs in World Tour, I only played less than 10% of them for fun. And it seams that every version always has to have the next "it" song. The song they put in there just to fuck with your minds, and create a buzz.
GH2: Jordan
GH3: Throught the Fire and Flames
GHWT: Snatch Boogie
GHM: Fight Fire with Fire
GHSH: Through the Fire and Flams(again)

Daiphyer.
08-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't like that guitar hero had poor songs in World Tour, I only played less than 10% of them for fun. And it seams that every version always has to have the next "it" song. The song they put in there just to fuck with your minds, and create a buzz.
GH2: Jordan
GH3: Throught the Fire and Flames
GHWT: Snatch Boogie
GHM: Fight Fire with Fire
GHSH: Through the Fire and Flams(again)

How can you say World tour has poor songs ? :confused:
IMO it has the best songs in music games.

And I think threads like this has been made about 451248793187962154 times before.

TheVoidRose
08-23-2009, 05:52 PM
How can you say World tour has poor songs ? :confused:
IMO it has the best songs in music games.

And I think threads like this has been made about 451248793187962154 times before.

I can say it because:
As I as I was playing through I felt like it was just dragging on and on with no end. Every song felt like a chore to do, and few that I liked were actually fun.

mcdigits
08-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I recently wrote a review on what I thought about DJ Hero On my blog if anyone is interested. http://mcdigits.blogspot.com/

Tom115
08-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Guitar Hero 3 is my favourite game of the 8 music games I own. I haven't particularly enjoyed a Guitar Hero game since Guitar Hero Aerosmith, though.

I like Rock Band for the drums but I don't like playing guitar on it.

GH overall, I guess. Though all the recent ones are wank.

Daiphyer.
08-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I can say it because:
As I as I was playing through I felt like it was just dragging on and on with no end. Every song felt like a chore to do, and few that I liked were actually fun.

If you're talking about the WT mode, Rock Band's career mode doesn't end either; but if you're talking about something else, then I didnt get it :D
AND, Guitar Hero's gameplay is actually easier than Rock Band. That's why I dig Guitar Hero.

TheVoidRose
08-23-2009, 06:15 PM
If you're talking about the WT mode, Rock Band's career mode doesn't end either; but if you're talking about something else, then I didnt get it :D
AND, Guitar Hero's gameplay is actually easier than Rock Band. That's why I dig Guitar Hero.

Actually both Career's end, Rock Bands just takes a bit longer. Rock Band Career actually felt like it was a Career for a whole band, since bands do play some of the same stuff over and over every place they go. WT was just a straight line, from beggining to end. But one difference for me, I had fun every song on the way to the end of the Endless Set 2, I barely had any fun at all on WT. Easier is not always more fun, and WT was easier.

Xedoss
08-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I love both equally. Both have their strengths and the weaknesses. The only reason I own more GH games is that there just are more out there.

Pheonix_Assassin
08-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Rock Band down to the DLC =)

Daiphyer.
08-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Actually both Career's end, Rock Bands just takes a bit longer. Rock Band Career actually felt like it was a Career for a whole band, since bands do play some of the same stuff over and over every place they go. WT was just a straight line, from beggining to end. But one difference for me, I had fun every song on the way to the end of the Endless Set 2, I barely had any fun at all on WT. Easier is not always more fun, and WT was easier.

So you mean because it was easy you didn't have fun with it ?
By easy I mean the shape that notes appear in, a circle has more length than rectangle, so it's easier to hit them even if you're about to miss.
and are you talking about Rock band 2 or 1 ? Because RB1 just kept on going and going ...
but I agree WT mode was linear compared to RB's career mode.

Nightbeam
08-23-2009, 06:38 PM
As I said in another topic, people argue over this just so they can feel justified over their purchases. Its one thing to give an opinion, and another to force it down their throat. Everyone has their own music taste, so you can't really say one set list is better than the other. I'm probably going to eventually taste both games soon (GH5 pre-ordered, RB2 maybe), and I'm sure I will enjoy both.

arbiter4566
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
RB definitely, the whole look/layout is easier on the eyes and just seems smoother. But I do prefer the GH 2 guitar over the RB guitars.

Lefthanded
08-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I prefer Megadeth over Metallica any day.

Kairi
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I hate these topics -_-

Both games are pretty much the same thing and both series are great. There is no reason to like one games more than the other.
That is just my opinion though...

TheVoidRose
08-23-2009, 09:47 PM
So you mean because it was easy you didn't have fun with it ?
By easy I mean the shape that notes appear in, a circle has more length than rectangle, so it's easier to hit them even if you're about to miss.
and are you talking about Rock band 2 or 1 ? Because RB1 just kept on going and going ...
but I agree WT mode was linear compared to RB's career mode.

I guess you can say that, the game was to easy to pass and the career just seamed to drag 75% the way through. I think you think that Circles are easier to hit, but thats not true. GH just made the strike window a good bit wider over rockband. Also, the rectangles were easier to read on a black highway compared to the cluttered fancy picture highways with colored circles. And both Rock Bands work fine, what do you mean the first kept going? The current dlc for the first is also available for the second in the same single download.

Daiphyer.
08-23-2009, 10:17 PM
I guess you can say that, the game was to easy to pass and the career just seamed to drag 75% the way through. I think you think that Circles are easier to hit, but thats not true. GH just made the strike window a good bit wider over rockband. Also, the rectangles were easier to read on a black highway compared to the cluttered fancy picture highways with colored circles. And both Rock Bands work fine, what do you mean the first kept going? The current dlc for the first is also available for the second in the same single download.

I meant the Career mode.

Can you tell me if this (http://files.xboxic.com/xbox-360/rock-band/93887020070704screen002.jpg) is harder to beat or this ? (http://loot-ninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/guitar-hero-world-tour-band-rock-out.jpg)
The notes are so small, it's hard to see them if you don't have a big TV when playing to together, and additionally, there is some patterns on the background that would just confuse you.
Rock band Classifies itself as "jump in and play" I disagree, on the higher difficulties, there is notes where they shouldn't be, and as I said before, the small notes aren't for everyone. I played both Rock band and GHWT at a friend's house, and that was my first time playing a music game, I did a whole lot better in GHWT than I did in Rock Band, sure there is this thing that if someone fails then everybody fail in GHWT, but I didn't fail as many times as I did in Rock band.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both games, but I like Guitar Hero more because of the gameplay and the tracklist, while Rock band has better Co-op experience, and career mode.

Coadster1
08-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I like both, but I like Rock Band better.

XI AlphaMale IX
08-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I think Rock Band will win this battle on an achievement site 10/10 times.

Guitar Hero Aerosmith has the easiest GH achievements by a mile and there's still one achievement on there that I've given up on.

TheVoidRose
08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
I meant the Career mode.

Can you tell me if this (http://files.xboxic.com/xbox-360/rock-band/93887020070704screen002.jpg) is harder to beat or this ? (http://loot-ninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/guitar-hero-world-tour-band-rock-out.jpg)
The notes are so small, it's hard to see them if you don't have a big TV when playing to together, and additionally, there is some patterns on the background that would just confuse you.
Rock band Classifies itself as "jump in and play" I disagree, on the higher difficulties, there is notes where they shouldn't be, and as I said before, the small notes aren't for everyone. I played both Rock band and GHWT at a friend's house, and that was my first time playing a music game, I did a whole lot better in GHWT than I did in Rock Band, sure there is this thing that if someone fails then everybody fail in GHWT, but I didn't fail as many times as I did in Rock band.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both games, but I like Guitar Hero more because of the gameplay and the tracklist, while Rock band has better Co-op experience, and career mode.

Now that you mention it the Guitar Hero notes compared to Rock Band do look alot smaller in the pictures.

Lol no I am just kidding, I know that if you use a standard old school TV then yeah notes are harder to see for BOTH games when playing in multiplayer mode. That is a given fact, adding more people on an already cramped screen does that. But for the people with a widescreen or "bigger" tv don't have this problem with either game. If you do then that is you, not everyone else.

About the "notes where there shouldn't be" I would like to show you a few youtube videos showing the exact same thing, only that it's applied to GH have to many unessesary notes. I had sean a few videos compareing the two songs on both videos and pointing out all the "extra" notes on guitar hero. I can't seam to find them right now but if you do please post them.

Side Note: I heared they were fixing the "BAND FAIL" thing in the recent guitar heros. To little to late for me though, I am unsure if they did. I do admit Guitar Hero did get alot better come Metallica, that setlist was hard to beat but it could only be topped by a setlist that can be comprised by songs you decided to download and favor. Songs that cost 1-2 dollars each and can be played across games of previous or future generations.

EDIT: something I would like to add. Often times in Rock Band online guitarist took turns playing lead or bass. When I tried the same thing in World Tour players were dicks and always wanted to be Lead Guitarist, and the game always choose whomever was a guitarist first to be guitarist next. No Random choice.

Daiphyer.
08-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Now that you mention it the Guitar Hero notes compared to Rock Band do look alot smaller in the pictures.

Lol no I am just kidding, I know that if you use a standard old school TV then yeah notes are harder to see for BOTH games when playing in multiplayer mode. That is a given fact, adding more people on an already cramped screen does that. But for the people with a widescreen or "bigger" tv don't have this problem with either game. If you do then that is you, not everyone else.

About the "notes where there shouldn't be" I would like to show you a few youtube videos showing the exact same thing, only that it's applied to GH have to many unessesary notes. I had sean a few videos compareing the two songs on both videos and pointing out all the "extra" notes on guitar hero. I can't seam to find them right now but if you do please post them.

Side Note: I heared they were fixing the "BAND FAIL" thing in the recent guitar heros. To little to late for me though, I am unsure if they did. I do admit Guitar Hero did get alot better come Metallica, that setlist was hard to beat but it could only be topped by a setlist that can be comprised by songs you decided to download and favor. Songs that cost 1-2 dollars each and can be played across games of previous or future generations.

EDIT: something I would like to add. Often times in Rock Band online guitarist took turns playing lead or bass. When I tried the same thing in World Tour players were dicks and always wanted to be Lead Guitarist, and the game always choose whomever was a guitarist first to be guitarist next. No Random choice.

Well that's the community problems not Guitar hero's, GH didn't make them a dick, they were born a dick. lol

Both games have extra notes, but on RB they are on somewhere where you can clearly see them (*cough* with a big TV *cough*) as in GH they are mixed with alot of other notes. The one that really catches the eye, was the "Eye of the tiger" song on GH.

And I would like to add that many game set-ups that I've seen from people who come here, most of 'em had old school TVs, so that's something to be said.

As I said, Rock Band is stronger in Co-op side of things, where as GHWT stands stronger in gameplay and Tracklist. I know there is DLC for Rock Band, BUT do YOU know that MS points is banned around here ? (Middle East) It's considered a illegal thing, and not every gamer lives in UK or US, there are ALOT (And Millions! lol) of people who either don't have access to live, or can't get MS points.

Gorilla Stomper
08-24-2009, 12:15 AM
"guitar hero or rock band?"

Neither

TheVoidRose
08-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Well that's the community problems not Guitar hero's, GH didn't make them a dick, they were born a dick. lol

Both games have extra notes, but on RB they are on somewhere where you can clearly see them (*cough* with a big TV *cough*) as in GH they are mixed with alot of other notes. The one that really catches the eye, was the "Eye of the tiger" song on GH.

And I would like to add that many game set-ups that I've seen from people who come here, most of 'em had old school TVs, so that's something to be said.

As I said, Rock Band is stronger in Co-op side of things, where as GHWT stands stronger in gameplay and Tracklist. I know there is DLC for Rock Band, BUT do YOU know that MS points is banned around here ? (Middle East) It's considered a illegal thing, and not every gamer lives in UK or US, there are ALOT (And Millions! lol) of people who either don't have access to live, or can't get MS points.

Well played sir well played :D

I had fun in this little debate, but we both are agreeing on the same things sadly. I did not know most people on these forums use old tv's, I myself have gone super high tech but I did play before on a tiny boobtube(square in size). Also I did not know points were illegal where you live, but is it possable to get them online straight from the xbox?

I figured most casual and carefree gamers played on Rock Band, and the more "elitest" players play on Guitar Hero. That's how it always showed itself to me at least. For Eye of the Tiger, I found Rock Bands to be more fun, sinply the constant color even after the "BAM's" in the begining to throw me off and make me mess up anyway. Co-op Wise Rock Band is better, and I think that is why most people would prefer it over Guitar Hero. Haveing fun with friends in a fun game makes it just that much more desireable.

Daiphyer.
08-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Well played sir well played :D

I had fun in this little debate, but we both are agreeing on the same things sadly. I did not know most people on these forums use old tv's, I myself have gone super high tech but I did play before on a tiny boobtube(square in size). Also I did not know points were illegal where you live, but is it possable to get them online straight from the xbox?

I figured most casual and carefree gamers played on Rock Band, and the more "elitest" players play on Guitar Hero. That's how it always showed itself to me at least. For Eye of the Tiger, I found Rock Bands to be more fun, sinply the constant color even after the "BAM's" in the begining to throw me off and make me mess up anyway. Co-op Wise Rock Band is better, and I think that is why most people would prefer it over Guitar Hero. Haveing fun with friends in a fun game makes it just that much more desireable.

Nope, I called up Microsoft and told them I live in United Arab Emirates and the guy was like "wait waat ? :confused:" I just hung up.

About the Old TVs, you can check on the topic "post your Gaming system" or something like that, you'll see most of us don't have super high tech like you do.

Yep well sadly I live somewhere, where gaming is treated like a sin(if you tell people you're a serious gamer they'll go like "lol, what are you a kid ?", and people who play games are just kids, or just some assholes (there are TONS of 'em here) (Master_shake being one of the few true gamers, I was like :eek: when I saw that this guy lives here too) That's why Co-op always meant me and my small brother to me, so I guess that's why I don't have much fun with it as I do with GH.

Alice in Wonderland
08-24-2009, 01:18 AM
I prefer Rock band to Guitar hero not only because I think it's better in multiplayer but also because I think the notes can be seen with more ease. I hate the Guitar hero backgrounds on the bar when you play. And I think the character creation in rock band is far better than the one in GH. I am a fan of creating characters so it's a plus for me to have more choices ^.^ I also prefer Rock band's graphics, it's not very important since the game isn't based on this but on the littles squares.. but I don't care! :)

Dz06lt
08-24-2009, 01:23 AM
i will also vote for RB

ApochWeiss
08-24-2009, 03:40 AM
A while back I would have said Guitar Hero, but Rock Band is where it's at now since GH basically became a crappier expansion of Rock Band. I also like all the DLC available for it, and the variety of material available. granted the stuff I like to play and want to listen to comes out maybe once every three months haha (metal) but I have enough now that I sit down, make a set list, and kill about 3 hours. 4 if you include the fact that my fiancee can't get the timing down :D

D4B0MB1N4T10N
08-24-2009, 05:26 AM
when was the last time i played any GH? hmm, lemme check... other than aeorsmtih last 17th, i havent played any since back in july, th 19th to be exact.

when did i last play rock band 2? oh, look at that, today!!

GH has turned me off, i just keep going back to RN for some reason. GH5 may save them a bit, but its n ot enough to completely turn the tide, nowhere near enough.

rockband just seems to be better, "controlled" for lack of a better word. they arent rhrowing all kinds of things at us.

it seems like any game activison makes now requires some kind of perihperal to play, therefore being more expensive as well. GH has pretty much gone overboard (Van Halen??) and it just doesnt appeal to me anymore.

RB FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!