PDA

View Full Version : Yet another DLC right after release of the game, this time: Borderlands

Daiphyer.
08-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Yet another game to get the DLC before the actual release treatment, and that's Borderlands.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/screenshots/421/med_GamesCom_10.jpg

Gearbox’s Randy Pitchford has told that initial DLC for Borderlands is currently in development.
“People are going to be surprised when they find out how quickly we’re coming [with DLC],” he said.
“We’re going to watch and see what happens when the game launches, so we can have our plans affected by what our customers want more of, but we do have some plans for the initial stuff already in motion, and I’ll be announcing that soon.”
Due this fall, the game is currently undergoing certification by Microsoft and Sony.

I'm sick of this, these contents should be in the damn game!!:mad:

Bleeding Star
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
If its free like extra gun parts or whatever its cool, but I wont be pleased if they charge because as you said it should have been in the game, either way Borderlands looks awesome

Nightbeam
08-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I don't buy DLC for a game unless its worth it.

Borderlands, if I'm right, will blow my fucking mind. Even if it should of been in the game and it DOES cost MP I could care less.

RadiantViper
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
So what, they're not allowed to even think about making DLC until the game is released? That's silly. I agree if the content was going to be in the game and they just cut it out to make the DLC, but just because they announce it before the game is out doesn't mean they could have made it in time for the release. Don't be stupid.

Daiphyer.
08-23-2009, 09:44 PM
So what, they're not allowed to even think about making DLC until the game is released? That's silly. I agree if the content was going to be in the game and they just cut it out to make the DLC, but just because they announce it before the game is out doesn't mean they could have made it in time for the release. Don't be stupid.

If they announce something before the release of the game, it's sure to be released just after some time (not long) after the game's release.

neok182
08-23-2009, 10:10 PM
right from the official twitter:

http://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/3435464646

the first 2 Borderlands DLC packs will be all new - not stuff that was cut or held back!

So it's not just some stupid gimmick like darth vader for SC4 that was already on the disk or the many other games that pull crap like that. The only reason why this is coming out soon is because the storyline part of borderlands was finished 7-8 months ago. then they changed the art style so they've just been retexturing everything and fine tuning everything for the last 7-8 months. NOW the main people are back and working on the first DLC.

And the cool thing is that they've been very vocal with the fan community saying that whatever we want more of is what were going to get first via DLC. And i'd pretty much guarantee that DLC will only be more missions or added character abilities or stuff like that.

The game has like 17 MILLION possible guns so i doubt were getting anymore gun parts lol.

iKiddo
08-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Deadlines people! These companies HAVE to meet the deadlines. So for all you know the deadlines where they had to start shipping had been met so they made it AFTER that.

elephantd
08-24-2009, 12:59 AM
i'm excited for this game. I don't see what's the big deal with talking about DLC before the game is released?

Fizzmatix
08-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I find it interesting how there is always someone complaining about DLC announcements before the game is out. I personally don't care if they announce any for a game before release. I think the new trend is to announce DLC so that people know that there will be some for the game.

Company's are there to make money as well as provide a product. If it really bothers you that much don't buy it simple. I really like hearing about DLC coming out for a game, also not having to wait a year to hear about it is nice.

Unless you would rather buy a game have it sit on your shelf for 6 months and then decide to sell it because there isn't a DLC announcement then get annoyed and make another post about how your annoyed because now you have to get the game again.

It's time to accept these early announcements about the additions to games and get over it. Personally if i'm going to buy a game i'm probably going to get the DLC if i enjoy the game.

DLC that is included on the disc is annoying and not worth the cash unless it's a huge expansion.

Rod.Oracheski
08-24-2009, 04:57 AM
The game is already undergoing certification. They have a good part of their team that has been done with it for a while - what were they supposed to do...have them sit there? Lay them off like other places do?

I'd rather have them start working on DLC and get it out in a reasonable time after launch than have them sit there until it releases and THEN start working, giving us DLC months later when you're tired of the game and less interested in going back.

RadiantViper
08-24-2009, 05:25 AM
If they announce something before the release of the game, it's sure to be released just after some time (not long) after the game's release.

'Not long after the games release' is entirely different from 'the games release'. Your comment makes no sense. Companys can decide to do DLC for the game before it comes out, and it makes sense to start on it after the game is complete but before it comes out because it's better then sitting on their ass and doing nothing. Plus this announcement is just saying they are doing DLC, not what it is - you can bet they'll tweak it after the release depending on the reaction to the game.

roy1751
08-24-2009, 08:41 AM
The DLC business is so shady that there is no way of knowing if content was held from the game or if development of the DLC started only after the game shipped.

IncensedCape
08-24-2009, 10:07 AM
I was hesitant about buying this game anyway and this puts the final nail in the coffin. It really pisses me off when developers hold back content that could have easily been put on the disc to flog as DLC.

oRedBull
08-24-2009, 10:15 AM
right from the official twitter:

http://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/3435464646

So it's not just some stupid gimmick like darth vader for SC4 that was already on the disk or the many other games that pull crap like that. The only reason why this is coming out soon is because the storyline part of borderlands was finished 7-8 months ago. then they changed the art style so they've just been retexturing everything and fine tuning everything for the last 7-8 months. NOW the main people are back and working on the first DLC.

And the cool thing is that they've been very vocal with the fan community saying that whatever we want more of is what were going to get first via DLC. And i'd pretty much guarantee that DLC will only be more missions or added character abilities or stuff like that.

The game has like 17 MILLION possible guns so i doubt were getting anymore gun parts lol.

missions, weapon spawns and character locations are randomly generated (to a certain) extent, why would they need to bring out dlc including missions and characters.

Sorry if it feels like i'm targetting you, but the random generator is just kick ass.

Qonok
08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Doesn't bother me about new DLC announced already. There is a schedule that they have to keep to have the game completed by and they pretty much have to meet this deadline. I would rather them get all of the bugs out than try to stuff more buggy crap in the game.
Since a game has to most likely be finished a few months before release, to get disks, rulebooks, and boxes produced in sufficient quantities, they would have time on their hands before release to start on new stuff.

I do have to say those companies that have the stuff already on the disk but hold back releasing it until it is a "DLC" is pretty shady. If it is all new and wasn't already on the disk then I don't really have a problem with it as long as the content fits the price of the DLC.

Daiphyer.
08-24-2009, 12:55 PM
'Not long after the games release' is entirely different from 'the games release'. Your comment makes no sense. Companys can decide to do DLC for the game before it comes out, and it makes sense to start on it after the game is complete but before it comes out because it's better then sitting on their ass and doing nothing. Plus this announcement is just saying they are doing DLC, not what it is - you can bet they'll tweak it after the release depending on the reaction to the game.

I'm not saying it's bad they're working on it, I'm saying that if it's something like more characters or quests, it should be in the game itself.

Project Eurasia
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Long term plan to get the most out of your game whats the issue?

neok182
08-24-2009, 01:47 PM
missions, weapon spawns and character locations are randomly generated (to a certain) extent, why would they need to bring out dlc including missions and characters.

Sorry if it feels like i'm targetting you, but the random generator is just kick ass.

well true but theres still the core stoyline and some side missions that probably won't change from game to game. The DLC will probably add more static missions if it does that at all.

But yeah the generator almost makes that pointless. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I think everyone is going to ask for more character abilities since from the screenshots i've seen of the level up/abilities screen there were only like 5-6 abilities. though maybe that'll be enough.

And to everyone else saying this could of been on the disk. This game was probably finished 2-3 months ago. Only thing they're doing now is finalizing everything and getting things fixed up. Games have a finish deadline like 2-3 months before it comes out so they can do massive testing on it. and it takes time to actually print the disks. So the reason why the DLC isn't on the disk is because they didn't start working on it until after they finished the game and had thier vacation. Then by the time they finish the DLC the game is already. Even if they finished the DLC before october 1st, they still wouldn't be able to get it in the game and go through all the channels before the disks had to be made.

Shelton
08-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't know about this Borderlands situation, but I recall seeing Mtg DLC in working order, 5 months before release. It even had achievements integrated. Now, since it was in the game and working, why should they be allowed to release it as DLC?

People who blindly say they didn't have the time to implement it and that they'll definitely buy it are part of the reason why companies continue to do this. The argument went on over RE5 DLC when it was perfectly clear that the content was already on the disc. You can tell me differently, but I know when I am being had.

neok182
08-24-2009, 05:09 PM
yeah i remember reading about the RE5 DLC. that was messed up.

But i believe gearbox about the borderlands DLC and that it'll be new content. especially when they say flat out that they're going to listen to the community to see what we want first.

Vendetta
08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
this game is a buy for now especially since Dragon Age got pushed into November (it was supposed to drop on Oct 20th like Borderlands).

Pretty excited and hope gearbox can deliver on their promises. Game looks good. :)

GhOsT SLaYeR
08-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Its because the game is done development and they would have to push release date to add it.

FourChan
08-25-2009, 05:26 AM
I had this game ordered for a while, either way i'm picking up DLC.

Waggaz
08-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Borderlands looks sick, so any DLC is welcome i guess.

Sizzlebuzz
08-25-2009, 06:30 AM
Fast DLC is a good thing. It usually only takes a week to finish a game.

daninthemix
08-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah I have to say Randy blabbing about bringing a ton of DLC soon after release isn't the best way to my wallet.

jorax
08-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Wait, so some of you poeple are no longer getting this game because it has DLC? What sort of logic is that? "This game is awesome - oh wait they are adding things that let me play MORE of this game after it is released. Nevermind, that makes the game less awesome."

Yes, some games 'hold things out' and later sell it as DLC. That sucks, but you don't have to buy it. Most companies don't do that, and instead either come up with new ideas after a game is ready for the long certification process. Going through that again costs money and delays the release date (which often means lost sales). Other companies plan their DLC ahead of time but still hold nothing back from the main game (Fallout comes to mind). Again, you don't have to buy any of Fallout's 5 DLC packs, but for those of us who can't get enough of the game, the price is well worth it.

TL;DR: If you like a game, buy it. If you want to play more of it, buy the DLC too. It isn't a scam, it's business.

Daiphyer.
08-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Wait, so some of you poeple are no longer getting this game because it has DLC? What sort of logic is that? "This game is awesome - oh wait they are adding things that let me play MORE of this game after it is released. Nevermind, that makes the game less awesome."

Yes, some games 'hold things out' and later sell it as DLC. That sucks, but you don't have to buy it. Most companies don't do that, and instead either come up with new ideas after a game is ready for the long certification process. Going through that again costs money and delays the release date (which often means lost sales). Other companies plan their DLC ahead of time but still hold nothing back from the main game (Fallout comes to mind). Again, you don't have to buy any of Fallout's 5 DLC packs, but for those of us who can't get enough of the game, the price is well worth it.

TL;DR: If you like a game, buy it. If you want to play more of it, buy the DLC too. It isn't a scam, it's business.

Nobody said nothing about not getting the game.

Morty
08-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else

SO FUCKING HYPED FOR THIS GAME!!!?!??!1??!

sorry i just cant beleive how much i want this game. Looks amence, this, rage and halo are driving me insane because theyre not out right now haha.

Wii187
08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm sick of this, these contents should be in the damn game!!:mad:

Bottom line, why are you sick of it?

The added cost? Don't by the DLC. Ahhh, but then you'll be missing the added achievements, right?

Daiphyer.
08-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Bottom line, why are you sick of it?

The added cost? Don't by the DLC. Ahhh, but then you'll be missing the added achievements, right?

Because, I can't get MS points to get DLCs, and I'll miss the achievements.