PDA

View Full Version : Achievement burnout

Sweenaldo 1985
08-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Any of you guys n gals ever experienced this?

I'm pretty close to 100k and aiming to get there within the next few weeks, but recently I'm struggling to get motivated to get any points.

Any tips for getting myself back into the spirit of things?

master_shake_350
08-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Any of you guys n gals ever experienced this?

I'm pretty close to 100k and aiming to get there within the next few weeks, but recently I'm struggling to get motivated to get any points.

I have this feeling for some periods of time. But after a while I get bored of being away and not achieving so I go back for a day or so.

Bleeding Star
08-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I havent had an achievement in a while, Im aiming for 100k by christmas but Im so addicted to Trials and Shadow Complex [which for now Ive maxed out in terms of G]

I did download the 2 Mass Effect DLCs today so hopefully some more points coming soon

Sizzlebuzz
08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Buy new games.

I have been out of new games for a while now. I have gained about 150 achievements from old games though. So much work for so little.

Daiphyer.
08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Yep, I ran out of new games recently, and suddenly I'm bored with every game I own. I should reach about 26k or so with the games that I currently own, but I don't a get feel to play them anymore.

Sweenaldo 1985
08-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Daiphyer, that's exactly how I am. Now that we can see how many total achievement points we could have from our games, I can see how many points are literally sat on my shelf (nearly 90k untouched) but i cant motivate myself back into the games to get them. (Love the sig btw, Hardy is awesome)

And Sizzlebuzz, i try to pick up a new game every couple of weeks and have just joined a rental site, so am hoping that might do it.

An example of my scores on games that i just cant get back into:

Dead Space: 35/1000
Fallout 3: 240/1500
GTA IV: 35/1250
Stranglehold: 30/1250

My percentage sickens me lol

Sizzlebuzz
08-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Daiphyer, that's exactly how I am. Now that we can see how many total achievement points we could have from our games, I can see how many points are literally sat on my shelf (nearly 90k untouched) but i cant motivate myself back into the games to get them. (Love the sig btw, Hardy is awesome)

And Sizzlebuzz, i try to pick up a new game every couple of weeks and have just joined a rental site, so am hoping that might do it.

Dead Space: 35/1000
Stranglehold: 30/1250

I lost gold yesterday, so today I worked on a few single player achievements for GTAV. I got it from 800 to 840.

If you're willing to spend 40-70 hours, you can get an easy 840 in GTAV =\. Without DLC. With DLC, it's a ton faster. Man, I wish I had more DLC.

As for Fallout, it's a 25-40 hour game for the full 1k. The extras may take some time, and it's 1550 now I think.

If you ever feel like investing time, they are both great games.

I hated the dead space demo, so I never got the game.

Daiphyer.
08-25-2009, 10:39 PM

Thanks man :D (I answer like I'm Hardy myself lol)

Yea, when I go to my games collection and see all those games with under 100 taunting me I get mad and shut down my Xbox 360.

and you can get above 900 or 1000 easily if you have the DLC in GTA IV.
Fallout 3 is easy too, it just takes time.

Sha
08-26-2009, 06:48 AM
I guess it happens to everyone once in a while, when you do something long enough...even something you really love, you're bound to get fed up with it, at least for a while.

And on the subject of Deadspace, it was pretty hard to get into at first.. I bought a few games at the same time a while back and Deadspace remained untouched for quite a while. After spending some time in game though, it's grown into one of the favorites in my collection. And the achievements aren't hard at all, so easy points all around.

Xedoss
08-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Honestly, without wanting to insult you, try playing some fun games instead of bad ones just for the points. I'm saying this based on your 1000's list in your sig.

I mean, games like:

Avatar, Cars: Mater National, CON: Prince Caspian, Clive Barker's Jericho, CSI: Hard Evidence, Eragon, Hannah Montana: The Movie, LOST: Via Domus, Madden 06, Madden 09, Meet The Robinson's, NBA 2k6, Night At The Museum 2, POTC: AWE, Spiderman FOF, Terminator Salvation,TMNT.

These aren't exactly the best, most fun games to play.
I wouldn't be motivated to play something like these either.

daninthemix
08-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Don't play shit games for points. Just play decent games that you want to play.

frank9080
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
You should go play Wanted and Eat Lead. They are not the best games but they are not bad at all and very fun. They will help get you some achievements whilst enjoying something.

TheLastAntidote
08-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Xedoss and Danin make very good points... Always playing sub-par/shit games will leave anyone un-motivated. I, by no means am one to boast of my gamerscore, and I'm ok with that. I just find it hard to subject myself to a crappy game for the sake of points.

It's unfortunate that more often than not, people forget that video games' primary goal is for you to have fun. And if you're not, that's gotta say something...

MrMario2011
08-27-2009, 03:16 AM
I've been talking to many of my friends about this, but during the summer the first weekend out of school I played that whole time, after that I lost motivation even up until now. Working at a game store this summer didn't help either, it took me so long to finish up games and I was barely getting my points up. For example: Quantum of Solace which is a real short game took me a few days to beat on the easiest difficulty, DAYS! As in at least 3 or 4! I'm really hoping my game gets switched on soon.

Ryot Control
08-27-2009, 03:34 AM
Whats your rush? Take a break and come back later.

Veteran
08-27-2009, 03:41 AM
I haven't whored properly since about march, April/May I sat around 90,000 gamerscore for so long. I'm only just properly getting back into the swing of things, although I'm just trying to play some older crappy games I've played on my tag. Crash Time and such. :(

v_thorne
08-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm currently at this stage.

No cash flow + No job = No new games.
No new games + Tired of the old ones = boredom.
Boredom of old games + Other things to do = Achievement Burnout

You'll get back into the swing of things, eventually. There's no real way to force yourself back into it. I picked up Viking: Battle for Asgard the other day and haven't bothered playing it yet. Well, I played it before but that was a rental. I just don't feel like gaming.

M_J
08-27-2009, 10:26 AM
When I get bored of scoring I just leave the xbox alone for a day or two. It really helps me because I find it hard to stay away. Just take a break and come back to it later it will probs help.

progman32
08-27-2009, 07:03 PM
When it's no longer fun, time to walk away, if even for just a break.

Logiistics
08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
I kind of had this with PS3 Trophies..

I had a dry spell, got bored. But then suddenly it just happened, i wanted more trophies :D

Nerdz0r
08-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Get a 0 or 5 at the end, odd numbers are wack!

Darth Grif55
08-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I've been playing Halo & L4D alot lately so I haven't been getting that many achievements. But my Live runs out soon, so I'll just be getting achievements.

I'll be getting Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 & either Batman: Arkham Asylum or Halo 3: ODST, next month so that'll help boost my gamer score (& if I get ODST max out Halo 3....again)

CyberPunch83
08-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Whenever I start a new game, I feel a bit overwhelmed as far as what to do. I'm starting Oblivion soon (late I know!) and I'll keep a guide handy. I'm a completionist, so i have to get most/all achievements before I can let myself move on, and I think that's what's been holding me back for the last 2-3 weeks.

KFZ Scrubs
08-29-2009, 02:22 AM
Lol, you don't know nothing yet OP.
Participate in GSL and then tell me how you feel.
I didn't put up as much as others (only 26k) but i was burnt out and didn't get back into it for a month or two.

PureTechniquex
08-29-2009, 12:13 PM
If you are burned out from Achievement whoring, just get a game you find fun & play that; nobody is forcing you to play trash games... i myself haven't gained any big score for about 2 months now... my last achievements were all the Mothership Zeta DLC on Fallout 3.

Seriously if you need a break then turn the XBOX off & get some fresh air. :p

Anyway here's a few games that are awesome:

BioShock
Fallout 3
Gears of War francise
FEAR francise
NFS francise
COD francise

^Try some of those & you won't be burned out; you will have actual fun on those games plus they have some easy points in there also. ;)

xMP44x
08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I had to sort of push myself to break the 10,000 Gamerscore barrier. Whenever I can't find a game to get some more achievements out of, I look back at my old games.

Play some of your old games, and try to get as many achievements out of them as possible. It might take a while, but it's rewarding in the sense that you get closer to another completed game.

Dawq902
08-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Happens to me all the time. I recently just went back into Mass Effect all because a friend was playing it to and it made me want to play.

Teh BeZ
08-29-2009, 04:11 PM
yeh i get like this and i end up just going bac to playing game for the sake of playing games , like online and what not , rather than doing new story modes , and trying to get achievments just fuck having fun for a while rather then stressing out playing games on hard and what not and collecting shizz haha

Sweenaldo 1985
09-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I took the advice of a lot of people on this site and took a step back for a moment and played some games that I had been waiting to play for a while.

Arkham Asylum was awesome, and definitely got me back in the mood for gaming again and then I picked up a dirt cheap copy of Prince of Persia (which I started last year and then sold) and completed that, yet another great game (IMO)

So yeah, have taken some time out to play some good games and its blown away the cobwebs and got me excited for gaming again. The meaty release schedule from now til Christmas is gonna help too of course ;)

Andreas_loel
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Im in the same situation atm, havent played any other game then rockband 2 and Puzzle quest for the last 1-2 weeks, i was hoping to get over 55k a couple of weeks ago but got stuck and now i canīt be arsed to play xbox at all ><

So im back to wasting my life on World of warcraft

Barad
09-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Just rent some piss easy games or buy a game or 2 you would enjoy.