PDA

View Full Version : loudness

Krueger
01-28-2007, 06:40 AM
does anyone know a way to make your 360 a little quieter

DaKing240
01-28-2007, 06:42 AM
I only know 1 method... and thats pushing the big circle on the right side of the console.

aRowan
01-28-2007, 07:26 AM
are you referring to the consol or volume in games?

razzleson
01-28-2007, 10:20 AM
If you're referring to console aka DVD-ROM volumes, the only way to decrease the sound is to move to a Samsung DVD-ROM. You'll have to get your drive key off your current drive, and inject it onto the new drive.

So far, the Samsung's have the quietest drives. I run my Hitachi at 12v instead of the 5v though so I'm used to a jet engine in my room.

All depends on what drive you have, and what voltage you run your fans at.

Software2
01-28-2007, 10:29 AM
The loudest thing in the 360 is the DVD drive. However, if your fans wear out or rattle loose they can make a loud noise too. Replacing your fans can help a bit. You can also run them at a lower voltage... but I recommend changing the thermal paste on your heatsinks first.

I read on xbox-scene of a kind of tape that's designed to muffle sounds. You could put that on your DVD drive. However, it's rather expensive, and it would insulate the drive, making it very hot.

razzleson
01-28-2007, 10:40 AM
The loudest thing in the 360 is the DVD drive. However, if your fans wear out or rattle loose they can make a loud noise too. Replacing your fans can help a bit. You can also run them at a lower voltage... but I recommend changing the thermal paste on your heatsinks first.

I read on xbox-scene of a kind of tape that's designed to muffle sounds. You could put that on your DVD drive. However, it's rather expensive, and it would insulate the drive, making it very hot.
The only "tape" they talk of on Xbox-Scene (or X-S for short) is the same stuff they use in sub woofer boxes and car enclosures.

If you're going to void your warranty and open your case you might as well do it right.

First cut the metal enclosure so more air can escape (ask for pictures if you'd like). Then upgrade the van's voltage. THEN upgrade the CPU thermal paste. And if you're a diehard cooling enthusiast add heatsinks to yoru ramchips and you should be almost invincible to the the three quadrants of death.

(I've only cut my metal enclosure to allow more airflow, raised my fan voltage, and modified my fan shroud and I've had no problems with my release 360.)

Software2
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
He was asking for ways to quiet down the system, not to make it cooler. I meerly suggested changing the thermal paste because lowering the voltage on the fans to make them quieter (as opposed to raising to voltage and making it louder) is going to reduce the amount of air they can handle.

The metal enclosue does help to keep sound contained to some degree. If your goal is a quiet system, I wouldn't remove part of it.

Zef
01-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Mine is pretty loud, and I just accept the fact that it is. Sometimes when I start up a game I pretend I am a pilot in my own 747, I even have the hat.

Is there any way to quell the beast without:
-Killing it
-Putting it into a vacuum
-Turning it off
-Opening it up and making your own 'Operation' style game
-Going Van Gogh

Software2
01-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Without opening it?
Um... place the 360 in a cabinet or some other place where you can't hear it.

Heart Braden
01-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a solution...

Play loud music so you can't hear it.

Zef
01-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I could just rent out a pneumatic drill and an air compressor, that would help make everything quieter. Strange people.

SixtyeightState
01-29-2007, 04:03 AM
Smother it with pillows! :blunt