PDA

View Full Version : Easy difficulty

gmorra
08-26-2009, 05:54 PM
I have been a gamer since I can remember and I have played almost everyday of my life. I have a high gamerscore and I am very good at games and puzzels, but I always play on the easiest diffculty level, on every game. Does this make me less of a gamer? Does this mean I suck? I don't know, you guys tell me.

I personally just enjoy playing a game very casually and I like to experience it in a fresh and entertaining way. I don't like dying all the time and have to start off again and again at the last checkpoint. This to me takes away from the fun of a game. I want it to go smootly and entertaining as possible, like playing a movie. I also find it more unrealistic if a character keeps dying and ressurrecting a hundred times, lol.

What are your thoughts? Be honest, I won't take offense!:)

II TAPOUT II
08-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't think so, and I know how you feel. I tend to play on the harder difficulty in most games, except in RPG's, for the exact reasons you posted. In games like Mass Effect or Fallout 3, I just want to explore and do everything first without worrying about dying or getting frusturated. But, RPG's are usually good for multiple playthroughs, and after the first time around I'll switch it to a higher difficulty, now that I have a good feeling for the game, etc.

For other shooters, such as GoW or CoD, I usually jsut play on the highest difficulty possible, since that's what makes the single player the most interesting/funnest for me. But I can still understand where you're coming from, and no, I don't think you suck, lol.

[Waggly Bean]
08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I agree completely with the way you play. I much prefer to play on Easy or Normal difficulty settings just to have a fun relaxed game. I don't like to get frustrated all the time, I'd much rather sit back and enjoy what a game has to offer.

Because of this, I HATE games with stackable difficulty achievements, as that makes you want to run-through first time on the hardest setting, which sometimes puts you off the game. So you get to a point where you wonder if you are sacrificing fun for achievements - this is exactly why I don't often go for 100% completion on many games. ;)

master_shake_350
08-26-2009, 06:18 PM
but I always play on the easiest diffculty level, on every game. Does this make me less of a gamer? Does this mean I suck? I don't know, you guys tell me.

Only if you think so.

I only play on harder difficulties to get achievements and I usually play with a friend like in Halo 3 or GOW2.

Sizzlebuzz
08-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I usually play on Normal mode. When I am running through a level or game I have already played, I play on easy to get it done quicker.

Playing on hard mode for fun isn't something I usually do, unless you get achievements for it.

I have always played on normal, even when I was little. Just the way I started and agree with to this day.

Daiphyer.
08-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Nah man. Serious gaming doesn't mean that you beat every game on highest difficulty and find every collectible and stuff(people who say serious gaming is like that are just stupid), serious gaming means that you take games seriously and play every good game that is out there and stand up to the people like those bitches in fox :D

I usually go normal because I get bored of easy, and frustrated in hard.
I believe doing CoD in Veteran almost takes the fun out of the game, but some games are easy in Hard (BF: BC) but I still do it for the sake of achievements.
*HAVING A 1000 IN A GAME DOESN'T MEAN THAT, THAT PERSON IS GODLIKE IN THAT GAME* I've seen alot of people who had 1750 in halo and were still a douche in online, or some people who had 1000 in SD Vs Raw 09 and I still beat them like an easy AI.

And also people who have more than 200 or 100k are not the best gamers. I've seen some people with low GS score and they were like really high in the CoD leaderboard.

You do not suck for playing games the way you have more fun, you suck for getting a achievement like mile high club and rubbing it in the face of people who don't have that achievement. (Not you, just an expression)

Simzo
08-26-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm the same, I play on the easier difficulties when I just want to complete the game, as Master Shake said I only play harder difficulties if I need to get the achievements for it.

TheVoidRose
08-26-2009, 06:24 PM
I always choose Easy over Hardest because I like to get to know the game first, play around with it and enjoy it. Then when it gets time to get real, I turn it up to 11 and demolish it. That's the way every game should be, the only exception is Rock Band. I can't play easy Rock Band and enjoy myself, I would actually die of boredom since I have advanced to much for the easy levels.. so I have to play Expert. Gears of War/Halo 3 I dominate at the hardest levels, but I always play Easy if I can't help it.

KNUCKS x360a
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I have been a gamer since I can remember and I have played almost everyday of my life. I have a high gamerscore and I am very good at games and puzzels, but I always play on the easiest diffculty level, on every game. Does this make me less of a gamer? Does this mean I suck? I don't know, you guys tell me.

I personally just enjoy playing a game very casually and I like to experience it in a fresh and entertaining way. I don't like dying all the time and have to start off again and again at the last checkpoint. This to me takes away from the fun of a game. I want it to go smootly and entertaining as possible, like playing a movie. I also find it more unrealistic if a character keeps dying and ressurrecting a hundred times, lol.

I fully respect that!
The only reason I ever play on Harder difficulties, just like everyone else, is for the Achievements on certain games...

Like you say, these days with Surround sound & HD, you're practically playing a movie - You want it to have just enough challenge, whilst still being Fun!
(No-one wants to get pwned by a Game for hours! :p *ahem* CoD on Veteran anyone?!:mad:)

gmorra
08-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Cool, thanks a lot to everyone who posted. I'm glad there are still some nice people around whom I can talk with!:drunk

Jeff.Spectre
08-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Difficulty settings are there for a reason, to cater to individual play styles and etc. games were designed to be fun easy = fun as does normal/hard/professional.
easy mode is always so fun, especially on FPS's, coz only on easy can you pretend to be rambo :P

SetsunaFSeiei
08-26-2009, 07:05 PM

I personally did the same too before achievements, because i really wanted to enjoy the game. I dont think it makes you less of a gamer, it just shows the kind of gamer you are , a casual one. It also doesnt mean you suck , for example , i would play DBZ Tenkaichi on the easiest difficulty, i knew i can do it on the hardest ones too but id much rather do silly things than get series against a computer.

Lol , those are my thoughts in online shooters ... like Halo and CoD ... after you die ... shouldnt you stay dead ? xD

The Kenz
08-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I usually start off on Normal/Medium/whatever...then adjust it if it turns out to be too hard or easy.

The exception is games of Pixar movies and stuff...I just stick them right on Hard.

...and for some reason, I feel compelled to play COD on Veteran, even though it's WAY too hard for me. =/

Fizzmatix
08-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I find it depends on the game, most of the time i will play on the medium difficulties then play the harder ones when required to. Some games are enough of a challenge to not want to play them on hard so i don't always get around to those ones.

Playing through games on hard is just another thing to do. Well if you love a game never play through it on hard as you will probably be sick of it unless the developers have fully tested the game and make it a challenge but fun.

jobless sam
08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
i almost always play on the easiest difficulty at first, just to get use to it. once i complete the game i go back through on the hardest, that way i know where all the best hiding spots are, where the enemies are hiding, where the guns are etc

TheLastAntidote
08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
As long as you're having fun with your games, it doesn't matter what difficulty you play it on.

Me personally, I like to be challenged, so I tend to usually put it on the hardest difficulty possible. If things start to get too frustrating or the difficulty is just too brutal, then I'll take it down a notch.

That doesn't make me any more of a gamer than you...

ferrara316
08-27-2009, 04:47 PM
i played fallout 3 on the easy difficulty jus because i didnt want to die in the middle of exploring. The best part of fallout3 is the higher the difficulty the more exp you get anyway, so it all works itself out.

Boiled Frogs
08-27-2009, 04:59 PM
i think both easy and hard difficulties have their pros and cons, and it's best to just do whatever youre in the mood for at the time.

for instance, I love playing COD games on veteran, i enjoy the challenge and feel a great sense of accomplishment from completing a level.

however when in a different mood I enjoy wandering around fallout, or playing other easy games like civilization revolution, where I can relax and maybe listen to music at the same time.

I don't think there's anything wrong if you like playing games on the easy setting. At the end of the day, games are for recreation and should be something fun for you to do in your spare time, so if you're having fun you're doing the right thing

Logiistics
08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
When i play a game and start up a new single player, i usually look to see if there is a description for the difficulty, then if it doesn't sound too hard i usually go on the hardest difficulty possible, as lots of achievements achievements you have to complete the game on all 3 (or more) difficulty setting which annoys me.

Crimson Ridley
08-27-2009, 07:07 PM
I get angry far, far, far too quickly, so I always start a game on Easy, so that my controller doesn't get hurt too quickly.

Once I beat it on Easy, I always put it straight on Hard then, dunno why but it helps. I never play Normal.

Porpoise King
08-27-2009, 07:15 PM
;2298339']Because of this, I HATE games with stackable difficulty achievements, as that makes you want to run-through first time on the hardest setting, which sometimes puts you off the game. So you get to a point where you wonder if you are sacrificing fun for achievements - this is exactly why I don't often go for 100% completion on many games. ;)

I sort-of agree. I do understand where you are coming from but I just hate it when I have to play through a game 3 or 4 times to get the difficulty achievements. UGH.

Gariom
08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I like to play on the easiest difficulty first. So I can understand the story and get aquainted with the controls. Then (if there is a reward/achievement for it) I'll turn it up to the "OMGZWTFBBQSAUCE!!!!1!oneeleven" difficulty and try to finish it on that.

MJGB
08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I very rarely play on higher difficulties unless I thoroughly enjoy the game, or there are achievements. It doesn't make me or anyone else any less of a gamer, just we prefer a more casual experience or don't have the time to playthrough the same part of a game countless times.

VladimirK
08-28-2009, 06:32 AM
People like different things really.

As for me, I always play it through on normal first.
Just for the enjoyment of it, to learn how each level is and any achievements I can get there then great.

Next I'll go onto the hardest difficulty and go for those achievements, (or in Resident Evil 5s case, play through every difficulty since you need to unlock them by finishing each difficulty).

Last either replay on the normal one save to get collectibles if it's that sort of game, or just play another time on easy to get collectibles.

Tussell
08-28-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm the same way. I'll only pick a difficulty that's harder than Normal if I'm going for a specific achievement or if I'm a big fan of the game and want more of a challenge (ex: Condemned: Criminal Origins), and I've already beat the game on easy/normal. I hate getting frustrated with games, and dying constantly always frustrates me.

My Gamertag is Papa Skull
08-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Yeah it totally depends on what your gaming style is. Some people play on hardest difficulty for a challenge. Some people play the game on easy to see what the game is like and how it functions. And some like to just go through the game smoothly with no problems at all (you). So it really all depends on your gaming style. I don't think you are a noob! ;)

daninthemix
08-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Nothing wrong with that.

When MW2 comes out in Nov I will play through on Easy first to just enjoy the game and the story. I don't want to have to take a deep breath and plunge straight into Vet.

UberViking
08-28-2009, 07:57 AM
I actually only play harder difficulty for achievements, I usally play on casual so I can screw around and not worry about dieing.

Gavin TTC956GP
08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Actually playing on the easiest difficulty is the best when starting a game,
I mean u need to get a feel of the game, how the controls work etc etc.
Then, once u into the game, u can maybe replay on harder levels for GS...
I almost always start on easiest for these very reasons!

Coadster1
08-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Nah, it doesn't make you less of a gamer. The only reason I will play on the harder/hardest difficulty is if there is an achievement to do so on that specific game.

Cav Clayton
08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I always play on Normal difficulty the first time round to experience the game in its fullest but without it being a bore.
Then I'll bump up the difficulty the next playthrough.

Veteran
08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I try to play through games on hardest difficulty first shot.

Batman Arkham Asylum I played on medium, but now I wish I played it on hard because it's not even hard on hard. Oh well.

But other games like Time Shift and whatnot I played through on hard straight away. But then there are games like Call of Juarez 2 that I started on hard and gave up on. :mad:

iKhaotic
08-29-2009, 06:08 PM
i start most games on easy first so i can take my time and explore everything without being penalized or hassled by annoying enemies. that way i get the full experience. then i'll move onto normal or hard depending on how experienced i am at the game after finishing it on easy.

games that i really like i play on all the available difficulties.

then there are games that i feel don't deserve a second playthrough, in that case i just go through on normal once.

but to answer the questions, i don't believe that playing on easy difficulties makes you any less of a gamer so long as you can do it on the higher difficulties also, then you're fine. but even if you are unable to do it on higher difficulties, it doesn't matter because you love gaming so that makes you a gamer, no more no less.