PDA

View Full Version : I have come to a realization today.

Dr Merk
08-27-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm addicted to gamer-score, and I don't like it.

After running off to gamestop this week, and paying 5-4$ a game for some old and easy sports games, and playing through them the last two - 3 days, I've realized that I am now officially addicted to my gamerscore.

The only problem is, I've dreaded this moment, and I can't believe I let myself get here.

Does anybody feel a bit guilty as they play through a game and advoid the fun associated with it, simply for these imaginary points?

I know I do.

Logiistics
08-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I haven't yet had it happen on 360, but on PS3 yes.. :(

I got a free 90 day LOVEFiLM trial and it was all on easy trophie games..

And your mates start to think of you as weird lol.

Dr Merk
08-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, i've already had that start happening to me. My friends are at a point where they're begging to be ashamed of my whoring.

Porpoise King
08-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Nah, I don't feel guilty. Yes there are games that make me want to pull my hair out, but that's part of the challenge for me. It also helps me play games which I wouldn't normally buy (Godfather II) that I really ended up enjoying.

Crimson Ridley
08-27-2009, 07:23 PM
simply for these imaginary points?

Nope, it's a hobby, like collecting stamps and coins. Oh, and I'm not avoiding the fun. The fun to me is getting the achievements, unless in some cases where I just like to play the game, such as Guitar Hero.

But imaginary? They aren't imaginary, everyone can see them, so unless we are all imagining the exact same number of points, they're pretty damn real. :p

oDrPepper
08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, i've already had that start happening to me. My friends are at a point where they're begging to be ashamed of my whoring.

First off there I think there is nothing to be ashamed of for playing for points, it's made me play some games that I never thought I would enjoy and I'm glad. I'm on a Lovefilm trial and have gained 9k gamerscore so far and don't regret it one bit.

These are just how I feel about what a few of my friends have said to me.

"Play games you like for gamerscore, not the crap you're on now".

A lot of these games I'm enjoying, and who said I don't enjoy getting the gamerscore? We all play differently and this is what I enjoy.

"Wow, you're playing TMNT you sad ****"

I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a crime to play a game, and what does it matter? Are you the one playing the game? No, that's what I thought so stop crying.

"Gamerscore Whore...", "Why do you like achievements so much?", "Achievements are worth nothing."

While achievements may be worth nothing, I enjoy achieving them and adding to my overall score. I don't care if my gamerscore is higher than yours, I don't care if it's lower than yours its something I enjoy and I'm going to stick with it.

If you feel bad about being addicted to gamerscore maybe you shouldn't be going for it in the first place, as I said before it's just a different way to play and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks.

master_shake_350
08-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Well I have to say that if your friends are starting to take the piss out of you maybe you need to get some new friends. My GS is double and even triple the amount of my IRL friends and they don't care.

Coming to play games to get easy achievements I only do it when I find them for a cheap price, and I don't regret it.

Bradakai
08-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Like said before it's a hobby. I don't have that many (15.7k). Once again buying games for achievements has made me purchase a few games that I've really enjoyed :)

Muslixthemighty
08-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I feel the same as Dr. Pepper. There are games that I play for I want to play them, I want to know how the stories end and there are games I played just for the points and nothing else.

Jemocasa
08-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I don't play games just for GS, I only play games I think I'll enjoy. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but that's a risk you have to take. That being said, this is a site dedicated to "bragging" about your GS and so you shouldn't feel bad about wanting to get as high a score as you can.

TheFalcon
08-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Does anybody feel a bit guilty as they play through a game and advoid the fun associated with it, simply for these imaginary points?

just keep doing it, it's get better the more you do it.;)

but on a serious note, i think everyone on here at 1 point or another stopped and asked themselves "why the hell am i playing NBA 2K6, TMNT, ice age 3, and lost just to increase a number next to my name?". but if it's what you enjoy then why stop? i mean all gaming is to non gamers is "staring at a screen and pushing buttons". that doesn't sound that appealing either does it? but we all enjoy it and invest oodles of time and money into it.

moral of my rant is that you should enjoy and continue to do what gives you pleasure. gamerscore whoring is like masturbation. it feels really good but at first you feel "guilty" like you just did something horrible and there's no going back. the more you do it, the more that feeling goes away.:Bounce:

Telexen
08-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Nope, it's a hobby, like collecting stamps and coins.

Wouldn't that be like collecting difficult and "rare" achievements then that are worth something?...not playing every sports game you can get your hands on just for the points...

Rome SDS
08-28-2009, 12:10 AM
If it is a game I really enjoy the campaign to then no not at all. Buying worthless games or borrowing games from friends for the points yeah it's pathetic.

Michaeloioi
08-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Nope, it's a hobby, like collecting stamps and coins. Oh, and I'm not avoiding the fun. The fun to me is getting the achievements

Listen to the man, he knows what he is talking about. Getting achievements is fun in my opinion, I've played games like Battle for the Pacific and Soldier of Fortune Payback (Twice) that require a lot of boosting but do I care? No, because I enjoyed it, please bar in mind that when I played Hannah Montana and My Horse And Me 2 I didn't enjoy a single moment of it. There is always two sides to everything, good side and the bad side, in this case its the good games and the bad games. hahaha

v_thorne
08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
First of all, they are not imaginary. They are real. Everyone can see them, everyone can earn them.

Secondly, no I don't feel bad. Everyone on this Earth is addicted to something in one way or another. Soda, Energy drinks, Cigarettes, Drugs, TV, Comics, Food... we simply just love to game and earn our achievement points.

There's no shame in it. We're only human.

Crimson Ridley
08-28-2009, 12:46 AM
Wouldn't that be like collecting difficult and "rare" achievements then that are worth something?...not playing every sports game you can get your hands on just for the points...

No, anyone can have a hobby about anything, it could be about getting as high a score as possible. I used collecting stamps and coins (Both usually mean collecting rare ones) as an example of a hobby.

If someone's hobby is collecting hard achievements, that's different to someone's hobby of gaining the highest amount of points as they can. Some people collect vintage cars, while some just try to get a huge collection of every car.

I think I've made my point. :p

jamieCR7
08-28-2009, 12:52 AM
I really enjoy picking up achievements, but some games I regret playing. I am looking directly at Lost: Via Domus and Terminator. *shudder* I do find it annoying sometimes as I can never play a game anymore without preparing a possible walkthrough to 1000G, which don't get me wrong, I like. I do get what you're saying and it is a very valid point, sometimes I don't play the games I love, instead I get achievements on OKAY/mediocre games I wouldn't normally play.

Seriously, no-one will ever judge you on your gamerscore but yourself, so if you enjoy those easy 1ks, then keep playing them. Otherwise, stick to the games you love and try to max them out, it always feels very good to max a game you really enjoy.

Shelton
08-28-2009, 12:53 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a crime to play a game, and what does it matter? Are you the one playing the game? No, that's what I thought so stop crying.

Exactly. I've had people call me sad, and heard the usual "You have no life" an innumerable amount of times. Yet, the bottom line is it isn't affecting them in any way at all.

If you (anyone) wanted to dedicate your whole life to collecting peanut butter jars, I couldn't care less. If it's what you enjoy and it makes you happy, who cares what others think?

I collect movie tickets. It doesn't matter whether it is a movie that is only seen in one cinema or twenty, it's still a ticket. He/we like collecting points. Some enjoy showing off their "rare" ones whilst others are content with just getting as many as they can. Either way is fine.

As an aside, no idea why I collect movie tickets. I simply do.

RadiantViper
08-28-2009, 01:26 AM
I think you can find a middle ground and have fun games that still have fairly easy achievements. I'd aim for those. So you can have your gamerscore increase a lot but not play completely terrible games to do it.

I personally play games for the game first and try for the %100, but I have nothing wrong with people playing lots of games for lots of gamerscore. Whatever floats your boat. But for me, it's about playing games you really like and getting the achievements is like 'mastering' your favourite games.

VladimirK
08-28-2009, 06:42 AM
:biglaugh Why should I feel guilty? I can accept that I tend to choose Xbox over other things that I could do that would just bore me.

As for the friends, with me they aren't being malicious at all when they say stuff, more just a friendly laugh because like the closest of my friends is up to about 40800.

SetsunaFSeiei
08-28-2009, 06:52 AM
Ive come to that realization too. What sparked it was when i was talking to one of my friends about the game he was playing now

Me: "Dude your playing Shriek The Third? .... Why"
Him: "Easy Achievements dude!"

Him: "Dude X-blades is so f***ing hard , i hate it!"
Me: "Then why are you still playing it"
Him: "Easy achievements dude"

Ok i know everyone loves achievements , i sure as hell know i do , however after going through a couple of the easy achievement games, i realized i wasnt having fun. I hate sports so why am i playing Madden and all these 2k6 games .... easy achievements ?

Thinking back to my PS2 all the games i played were fun, because they were games i liked. Their was no such thing as achievements. Now that they're are , i was seen playing Movie games (which i hate) ... for achievements ... playing sports games (which i hate) ... for achievements

I dont know about anyone else, but the achievements i get... i want them to be for the games i like, at least this way im having some fun playing a game i prefer than playing a game i dont. No matter how hard the achievement, if its from a game i like ... then ill get pass that and go for it.

Video games were made to have fun ... that is something that i dont realize from playing games JUST for achievements

Cacky
08-28-2009, 07:25 AM
I play all of my games for fun, not for gamerscore. I recently thought about some rentals for some easy points, but I decided against it. I think I'll continue playing games I enjoy, while getting a few achievements along the way.

Not only that, my brother said that he would call me a noob for the rest of my life if I played Avatar. :p

shocellist
08-28-2009, 07:25 AM
A lot of people I know say I play too much XBOX, don't get out enough, and don't "hang out" with people enough.
The sad part is... I just don't associate with them much anymore for various reasons. I actually came to the realization that I'm NOT addicted to the score, nor am I particularly addicted to gaming. It's simply fun for me, and an added bonus to get the points. I won't play games just to squeeze the points out of them.
That being said, I agree with the people saying that the points are like a hobby. As long as you're getting them legit, there's nothing to feel bad or guilty about. Unless you're taking your true friends for granted and leaving them behind for gamerscore or ruining your own life, there's really no problem.
Cheers!

ovoon7
08-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Nope, it's a hobby, like collecting stamps and coins. Oh, and I'm not avoiding the fun. The fun to me is getting the achievements, unless in some cases where I just like to play the game, such as Guitar Hero.

But imaginary? They aren't imaginary, everyone can see them, so unless we are all imagining the exact same number of points, they're pretty damn real. :p
Nope. This is far more than simple stamps or bottle caps. Your spending a whole day just to get a few points that are really hard to get. A collection or hobby is simply searching for something to add on the side. I have a bottlecap collection going, and I just take any bottlecap I see and throw it in there :P no time wasting there.

Jethrow
08-28-2009, 05:29 PM

After running off to gamestop this week, and paying 5-4$ a game for some old and easy sports games, and playing through them the last two - 3 days, I've realized that I am now officially addicted to my gamerscore.

The only problem is, I've dreaded this moment, and I can't believe I let myself get here.

I know I do.

dude i know really, i'm the same way and went through the same thing.

I lost the fun aspect of gaming because of cheeve hunting. Im playing games all for fun now and i'll try for any cheeves afterwards but not spending much time on it. Just think what things were like before cheeves.

InkedUp
08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
You'll be alright Merk, the first step is admitting you have a problem. j/k. Seriously though, most people here have had that point when they ask themselves "why did I just play that just for points", but we all get over it eventually, or at least until you play another game that makes you feel that way.

Lemon Of Life
08-29-2009, 10:06 AM
If that's your thing, fair enough. To each his own.

iKhaotic
08-29-2009, 06:01 PM
yes i feel guilty/ashamed for being drawn in to gamerpoints. but i'm not drawn in to the point where i would buy cheap/easy games for it though. i only go for points for the games i enjoy playing. i cant see myself buying the "easy 1000" games ever.

funny story: when i was playing Bioshock, i was a little too addicted to getting the points for the game that i missed the major plot twist in the game lol

TwinTipZ
08-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I only once got a game for the achievements, but i got it knowing it was a new genre that i haven't played before (Hunting) and wanted to see if i liked it. Turned out fun.

Porpoise King
08-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Nope. You collect common and rare achievements too.

EVUL DAVE
08-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Quick question here... What's this Lovefilm trial thing mentioned in this thread?

nickhopkinz
08-29-2009, 08:18 PM
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GAMERSCOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

that was me yelling.

My Gamertag is Papa Skull
08-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Don't we all love gamerscore? As this is an achievement website. I'm addicted but I only get achievements in the games I enjoy. (Avatar and TMNT don't count :D) But that's just my way of getting achievements and everyone has their own.

Venomized
08-29-2009, 09:43 PM

I know I do.

I know what you mean. Fortunately for me, that phase has dissapeared. I only go for 600-1000 if I thoroughly enjoy the game (and doesnt invlove collectibles) and is somewhat easy. My xbox broke and I took a 35 day break. Best thing to do . . . join a sport or get a job so u dont play xbox as much (and the lust for achievements will fade). OR find a game where all the achievements are just comepleting the game (ex: COD)

Dr Popodopolus
08-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Not really so much for me anymore. Maybe i'll rent a game now and then to get some GS from it if an offer comes through from blockbuster. But most of the time i play CoD 4 which i already have 1000 on. Lots of games to look forward to like ODST which i will probably try and get 1000 on.

For some people on my friends list my 31000 gamerscore is the highest they've ever seen and they think of me as a god. It's quite funny. :p

DigitalFury
08-29-2009, 10:41 PM
I actually enjoy trying to get achievements, it's quite satisfying. The only issue I have with achievements and gamerscore is that once I've achieved the 1000 or the highest score that I'm going to, I lose all interest in the game and I'm ready to trade it in and move on to the next.

Dr Popodopolus
08-29-2009, 11:25 PM
I actually enjoy trying to get achievements, it's quite satisfying. The only issue I have with achievements and gamerscore is that once I've achieved the 1000 or the highest score that I'm going to, I lose all interest in the game and I'm ready to trade it in and move on to the next.

Then they release DLC once you've traded it in... :@

SolvoM
08-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I won't say I'm obsessed with my GS but I definitely love it when I add to it. I don't like the people that say things like "omg that person has no life" or anything like that because the bottom line is that it's a hobby. Gaming is a hobby like any other. Someone could be into MMA or football or something "manly" and have their entire life revolving around that and you could technically say (by their standards) they have no life.

B1GgYsMA1lz
08-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Yea I could careless about the actual gamerscore but i love collecting achievements in games that i enjoy. So as for "Easy" sportsgames go ill never end up playing those but if i like the look of a list for a decent action or shooter game i would be more inclined to try it than if achievements didnt exist and i usually end up pleasently surprised

oDrPepper
08-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Quick question here... What's this Lovefilm trial thing mentioned in this thread?

Lovefilm is an internet rental service.

KFZ Scrubs
08-31-2009, 02:47 AM
Dude, i fucking hate that shit!
Lol
I felt literally sick when i was racking up points for GSL....
Avatar, no problem... but games like Lost hurt me and CSI.... just too damn boring to play and stupid to handle.

XBLsFinest
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
First off there I think there is nothing to be ashamed of for playing for points, it's made me play some games that I never thought I would enjoy and I'm glad. I'm on a Lovefilm trial and have gained 9k gamerscore so far and don't regret it one bit.

These are just how I feel about what a few of my friends have said to me.

"Play games you like for gamerscore, not the crap you're on now".

A lot of these games I'm enjoying, and who said I don't enjoy getting the gamerscore? We all play differently and this is what I enjoy.

"Gamerscore Whore...", "Why do you like achievements so much?", "Achievements are worth nothing."

While achievements may be worth nothing, I enjoy achieving them and adding to my overall score. I don't care if my gamerscore is higher than yours, I don't care if it's lower than yours its something I enjoy and I'm going to stick with it.

If you feel bad about being addicted to gamerscore maybe you shouldn't be going for it in the first place, as I said before it's just a different way to play and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks.
Well said.