PDA

View Full Version : game looks ruined?

Aussiegore
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Ok I've never had a look at what the game may have looked like but I remember seeing the teaser for this game two or so years ago and to me it looked like it was going to be a gritty mass effect style rpg.
But after watching some game play trailers...it looks terrible! its all cartoony and just being plain silly to be "funny". Don't get me wrong I like this look when I play Fable or team fortress but the current art design ruins this game for me. any one else feel this way?

WhineyRabbit
08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
No and I'm shocked that you're put off by the art style.
I think it looks fantastic and gives the game a really good feel to it.
Maybe I'm different because I prefer PC Games to 360 and I'll be getting this on PC.
It's a must buy for me, I love the soft cell shading.

xhunterrrr
08-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I think it looks fantastic and gives the game a really good feel to it.
Maybe I'm different because I prefer PC Games to 360 and I'll be getting this on PC.
It's a must buy for me, I love the soft cell shading.

Truth. But it is not actually cel-shading. It is actually the artists' drawings and such with some software that adds black outlines. Way better. Looks amazing. I am tired of photo-realism in EVERY.SINGLE.GAME. released now-a-days.

phatmuther
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Everyone thought the same of Crackdown. Silly little kiddie style cell shaded rubbish.

Turned out awesome.

InkedUp
08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I think it looks great. I mean really, if your gonna turn down the game of open ended battles, shit loads of weapons, jump in/jump out co-op mode and bad ass multiplayer just because you particularly don't like the graphics, then your really gonna miss out.

neok182
08-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally it was all realistic but the developers didn't like the constant comparisons to Fallout 3, RAGE and a few other games.

And some of the people in charge liked their concept art much better, so they decided to ditch the whole realistic setting and make it more fun with the hand drawn art style to make it look like a comic book and now changing the 'Elite' enemies names to 'Badasses'

all and all it was a damn good chance and makes the game much more unique instead of looking like every other post apocalyptic game out there.

Nozza XBA
08-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I think it looks fantastic and gives the game a really good feel to it.It's a must buy for me, I love the soft cell shading.

Not one word in the above quote is wrong!!!!

OP you are soo wrong and this game fits this style of graphics! Its not too far to the point of cartoon/funny (zelda:wind waker) which those graphic went with the game. Yet it still doesnt go to the point of Prince of Persia style.

To me the graphics look great and are in there own style of cell shading (or as above said artist drawing etc) to fit what the game is all about, which makes the game stick out and look fantastic!

Creech
08-28-2009, 04:04 PM
If you listen to the OXM podcast from last week, they interview one of the developers and he explains exactly what the thought process was and why they changed it. Might be worth a listen.

FYC Punker
08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Everyone thought the same of Crackdown. Silly little kiddie style cell shaded rubbish.

Turned out awesome.

Same thing happend with Prince of Persia.

The game looks awsome and theres already a thread about the new art style that isnt hard to find,should have posted this there.

WhineyRabbit
08-29-2009, 08:12 PM
If you listen to the OXM podcast from last week, they interview one of the developers and he explains exactly what the thought process was and why they changed it. Might be worth a listen.

Many thanks for that plug, had myself a listen and was an awesome interview tbh.
Cant wait anymore for this game >_>

KFZ Scrubs
08-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Personally, i like games that deal with cel shading.
Afro samurai was an excellent choice for that type of gameing animation.
I mean, after watching the game trailer for the game a while back ago (with the girl with the half face talking about Pandora) i can understand your frustration..... but the game still looks good. The mechanics and the flow look good from what i read and the trailers i've seen.... so i'm really on the edge of my seat for this game.

Dz06lt
08-31-2009, 01:59 AM
yeah i dont much like the looks of it either but who know it may be good like POP

StolenPaper18
08-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Truth. But it is not actually cel-shading. It is actually the artists' drawings and such with some software that adds black outlines. Way better. Looks amazing. I am tired of photo-realism in EVERY.SINGLE.GAME. released now-a-days.

I totally agree.

and if the gameplay is as good as everyone says it is going to be...I could care less what the game looks like.

Dz06lt
08-31-2009, 02:15 AM
I totally agree.

and if the gameplay is as good as everyone says it is going to be...I could care less what the game looks like.

you could care less, until you could'nt care less, Personally i want more realisitic games than unrealistic

http://www.incompetech.com/Images/caring.png

KFZ Scrubs
08-31-2009, 02:50 AM
I know that people are all into graphics now a days.... what happened to gameplay? I hear people complaining that they won't play a game because the graphics look like shit... well that doesn't mean the game will suck. Remember what they say, don't judge a book by it's cover.
Besides, a shooter/rpg sounds like an interesting mix of genres.

InfernoFrY
08-31-2009, 09:39 AM
I think everyone who has been looking at preview videos and screenshots hasnt been able to see the full flow of the graphics. This game will look truely amazing when you get it home on a HDTV, or even a regular. Its hard to see the big picture if you only have a scrap of it.

v SnOwMaN v
08-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Ok I've never had a look at what the game may have looked like but I remember seeing the teaser for this game two or so years ago and to me it looked like it was going to be a gritty mass effect style rpg.
But after watching some game play trailers...it looks terrible! its all cartoony and just being plain silly to be "funny". Don't get me wrong I like this look when I play Fable or team fortress but the current art design ruins this game for me. any one else feel this way?

I think it looks amazing. Has that Pince of Persia look to it almost. I can't wait for this game to release.

Aussiegore
08-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Awesome a lot of reply's. I didn't get prince of Persia for the simple fact it looked like a cartoon and asiany... But unfortunately they don't wanna copy fallout and rage so thats cool, they wanna be 'unqiue' fair duece I just wont be getting this the day it comes out or any time soon. But I will not budge a inch, if this game had the improved graphics of Fallout/CoD/mass effect I would prefer this and think it'd much better atmosphere wise.

peace and thanks for the reply's.

neok182
08-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Awesome a lot of reply's. I didn't get prince of Persia for the simple fact it looked like a cartoon and asiany... But unfortunately they don't wanna copy fallout and rage so thats cool, they wanna be 'unqiue' fair duece I just wont be getting this the day it comes out or any time soon. But I will not budge a inch, if this game had the improved graphics of Fallout/CoD/mass effect I would prefer this and think it'd much better atmosphere wise.

peace and thanks for the reply's.

this games atmosphere is twice as good now because of what they did. The changes in the art and things like changing the elite characters to badasses. those little things are lighting up the game to be something completely different and it's going to be amazing. And for an art style being the only reason not to get a game, thats pretty stupid.

Now if it looked like a wii title, then i could slightly understand, But this game is going to be amazing and looks fine so theres no reason not to get it if you've already been wanting to. This is going to be better than fallout by a long shot and be 4 times as fun becuase of the new direction they took the game.

That and the 4-player co-op.

smokevf
08-31-2009, 02:44 PM
i think the graphics look awsome!! they remind me of POP/ Prince of Persia

Acegunman
09-01-2009, 01:17 AM
dude the graphics are amazing bro the concept art design is awesome

mejimmeh45
09-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I like games with this type of grafics they make a more funner atmosphere.

Ortep
09-01-2009, 02:23 PM

I'm not entirely sure why you want another game to be the now generic grey that every game seems to coat itself in these days.

I Abaddon I
09-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Honestly, if you never even TRIED Prince of Persia because of the graphics, that's pretty freakin' sad. Judging a game by its "cover" without playing it shows how shallow some people can be. That's like never trying Viva Pinata because it's a "kids" game.

And I used the Fallout 3 argument with my friends who were skeptical about Borderland's new style. Honestly, I could not handle that much of Fallout 3 because after a while everything began to look the same. The new graphic style of Borderlands is great; it will allow tons of diversity and attitude (excuse me for being cliche on that one).

Besides the FFA-Loot system, I have no complaints about Borderlands!

StolenPaper18
09-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Honestly, who cares if someone doesn't play a game based on how it looks? If the game is awesome, they are the ones who will be missing out.

Pointless Dan
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
How can you think this game is going to be bad? Have you not watched the gameplay trailers for it, because it looks fantastic! Plus it has just about every feature you could ever want in a game, drop in/out 4 player co-op, multi player, a massive amount of options for your character, unique art style, vehicles, a lot of hours of gameplay and replayability.

All in all this is a must buy, and people put off by the change in art direction should take a step back and look at what they game actually has to offer in addition to the way it looks before passing judgement.

Spawn 0f Hell
09-04-2009, 06:21 PM
it looks terrible! i'm sorry and this may be really childish but i have to defend the pure awesomeness of this game. so's your face.

oRedBull
09-04-2009, 06:48 PM
if you don't like the graohics because they aren't like crysis's near real life graphics then you should just join this guy's post and help defend him, because he's bitching about graphics aswell. It's not going too well. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173429

BTW: the graphics are an unique style that the developers decided to take on to separate it from other games. Remember: Ultimate Spiderman. Same sort of graphics

elephantd
09-04-2009, 09:57 PM
i was hooked to this game when i read one of the designers, were taking notes from Diablo 2.(LOVED that game.) Plus who doesn't love Looting!

Justin Case
09-06-2009, 04:27 AM
This game is going to turn out super unique due to the graphics it has. I'm loving all the gameplay videos I've seen.

Hunty1010
09-09-2009, 08:27 PM
The cell-shading is immense, and as a games developer at college this game gets me really excited LOL!

Hunty.

McApree
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I have always despised cel-shaded games. Cel Damage was good though. This game looks amazing. I am glad they changed it.

-Sonic-
09-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Even though it's not really cel-shading, the cel-shading type graphics tend to be hit or miss with a lot of people regardless of gameplay.

A lot of people will probably go without playing this game because of the cartoon-like look it has. Sad, really.

Graphics < Gameplay < Fun.

Zomaarch
09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
I know, some people think graphics rule over game play, i mean you're going to miss many good games if you care about graphics only...

I think this is a going to be a great if not excellent shooter/rpg, and i feel sorry for those that may miss out on this just because it's cell shaded.

sandojoe
09-17-2009, 09:51 AM
This game looks amazing. I love the art style they are using with this game.

WarBound Priest
09-19-2009, 04:51 AM

Turned out awesome.

Nuff said. Plus, the Devs get to make those calls. And I think it's a good one to make. ;)

NaK Quinn
09-21-2009, 06:28 AM
You do know that this games funding was cut in half right? 2K is going out. Dont really like the graphics for this games audience.

BORG Dragon
09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I myself couldn't care less about graphics for most games.

It's all about the fun factor and the gameplay. If it's innovative, creative, and kick ass to play, then why not?

Personally when the PS3 was announced way back when and they said it would use Blu-Ray disc format... I thought IMMEDIATELY that there would be no additional content added to any PS3 games. I mean... 54 Gigs of disc space and games still only last 10-15 hours total gameplay. I mean seriously, screw the graphics and add in CONTENT and DOZENS of HOURS of stuff for us too do.

That's my take on it.

Graphics should come last, really, when making a decision about buying a game... no... scratch that! It should never come up.

MLG=Most Likely Gay
09-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Games gunna be badass. The graphics are great.

mosin360
09-25-2009, 12:27 AM
No, watch the latest gameplay videos. The game looks fresh, vibrant, and you can actually spot enemies because everything isn't grey and brown.

Borderlands GOTY.

Krudax
09-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I have to say i was a bit skeptical at first also having seen the original trailer a few years ago but.... had hands on a few weeks back at a conference and it looks and plays awesome.
Definitely going on my to buy list and have totally taken a 360 degree turn with point of view.

sublime shooter
10-03-2009, 05:54 PM
the game looks amazing what are you talking about

B1GgYsMA1lz
10-03-2009, 06:30 PM
the new graphic style is actually what turned me onto this game and now its my mot anticipated game for 2009

Qonok
10-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I love the graphics myself. My only complaint is that I hope there is a way to turn off the floating numbers. (i.e. xp and damage) They are distracting to me.

YerfdogT
10-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Gameplay is 17,750,000 times more important than graphics. (Did u c wut I did?)

GhOsT I RiDeR
10-11-2009, 02:47 PM
When they first changed the art style I was pissed because I thought it looked stupid... but now its growing on me and I like it now.

I would prefer the realistic design though.. but the new one is still awesome

MADasaHatter
10-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Actually, for all those that are pissing about the graphics

Just wait for "Rage" to drop

it's basically Borderlands with grittier graphics

me? I'm playing both lol:Bounce:

Gariom
10-14-2009, 10:35 AM
When I saw that the art style was the same as Okami I fell in love with it.

If it looks cartoony, it should, it's a game. Team Fortress 2 looks really "cartoony" yet that game kicks ass.

jwmc1971
10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
i will have this in a couple of hours . if this game sucks and looks horrible , shjt in everyones stockings for christmas .

GhOsT I RiDeR
10-16-2009, 05:59 PM
i will have this in a couple of hours . if this game sucks and looks horrible , shjt in everyones stockings for christmas .

Howd you get it early??

jwmc1971
10-16-2009, 07:48 PM
well , at first i was like " this sucks !! " . you get owned easily and a few of those dumass dogs cant be killed with what i have so far ( it takes a lot of bullets to get their health down a smidge ) . but i got better weapons and upgraded stuff . i started at around 1pm . now its almost 4 and i forgot to eat lunch . yeah , its that good and i only have 15 gs so far !!

bloodswan
10-16-2009, 10:46 PM
The art put me off at first but it is appealing more to me and it does seem to have a unique feel to it.