PDA

View Full Version : Rewards For Achievements? (Maybe...)

JonnyC VT
01-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Word up, ya'll. So today after browsing gaming sites, I stumbled across this article:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25344198&sid=6164918&tag=latestnews;title;0

This is a rumor, but does have some valid points, and Microsoft's response was more than generic for this one...Hmmm? What do you guys think? If this was already posted, I searched but couldn't really find anything, so delete if you must.

PerpetualHeaven
01-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Won't happen until Gamesaving as a whole has stopped. It just seems like a bad idea honestly. I mean how fair would it be that the top 25 in the world could enrich themselves with all these gamerscore points and did it unfairly, while guys like me and several on this site did it fair and square?

Maka
01-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Its not going to happen and if it does, I dont think I will ever again Support Microsoft...

DaKing240
01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
It is going to happen...

JonnyC VT
01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
It is going to happen...

My thoughts too. Microsoft is smart, and as with the whole achievement system (which I really never thought would blow up like this), they may be able to profit from something like this. To get achievements, you've gotta get games...And games cost money. I don't really agree with it, since I think it'll be too much work for legit gamers, but it sounds maybe like the average Joe could rack up some prizes...We'll see.

Spot2009
01-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Its not going to happen and if it does, I dont think I will ever again Support Microsoft...
I agree with you dude. The idea of gamerscore used as some sort of currency is a stupid idea. It should just show how pro you are (or how many games you have/rent, or how much you love game-saving), which was why achievements/gamerscore were created.

And Microsoft would find this actually to be a bit bad for them, as in not a profit.

Cyrex
01-30-2007, 12:41 AM
if the can figure out how to stop cheating some how it wil happen some time

PerpetualHeaven
01-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Mmmm, I wonder what these prizes would be.

DaKing240
01-30-2007, 01:04 AM
I am looking forward to this...

Also, I am a big fan of going directly to the source of the information:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Unscripted360/~3/83484035/

TheMollywhopper
01-30-2007, 01:13 AM
I remember seeing some stuff on this a long time ago... If I remember correctly you have to exchange your gamerscore for the prizes/MS points... Meaning you're gamercard stays the same but your score drops (all games/achievements/points still show on your card, but your actual gamerscore goes down as you exchange points for the rewards). If this is the case, I think this is a fantasic idea. When it all comes down to it, hardcore gamers are more concerned with being able to show someone what they've done in games (e.g. achievements) than looking like a master at first glance (gamerscore)... Make us trade this shit in, send us some shit in the mail and we're squared away.

JonnyC VT
01-30-2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I read that too right after they quoted the site they got their info from. It's not just about having over 100,000 GS, its about getting registered and then winning prizes, which will probably be randomly selected...(and from what I gathered, mainly goodies from corporate sponsors). Imagine such awesome things like a Mountain Dew thong, a Dell shoelace set, and Red Bull Hairspray! :Bounce:

Minty
01-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Like how Morgan likes the fact that they have to sort out gamesave users- yet still continues a site pretty much purely used by cheaters

Cyrex
01-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Imagine such awesome things like a Mountain Dew thong, a Dell shoelace set, and Red Bull Hairspray! :Bounce:

mountain dew thong :woop::woop:

im guessing the prizes that MS will give away will be in the form of Points...... Just a hunch;)

ThaMyth
01-30-2007, 02:19 AM
need to reward with ms points hahahahaha

Stovetop0
01-30-2007, 02:26 AM
I don't know if it will happen, but i do not agree with it. it just gives people more of a reason to boost, cheat, glitch, etc. so that they can get free stuff.

Im a Manatee
01-30-2007, 03:30 AM
Probably just microsoft points. Then, you could 200 some arcade games and get more and more and more!

CC99999
01-30-2007, 05:05 AM
Let's think about it folks. It could actually be the best thing MS could do.

We all agree that achievement collecting is the defining aspect of XBOX360 and makes games on this system more compelling than the same game on the PS3.

I think most of us are against the idea of gamesaving- though boosting seems pretty hunky dorey. If MS was to institute an awards program based on achievements a few things would have to happen-

1) Game savers would have to be stopped. You either delete abusers or prohibit them from competing- this would make the top 25s cheat scores seem like empty- dontcha think?

2) New Achievements would have to be (relatively) hack free. You could do this by assigning the game save/ achievement to the account it is being played on and not allow it to be installed on other accounts (which should have been done from the onset truth be told).

3) Prizes would have to be awarded on games going forward and not going backwards- this would get new people interested in playing- they already have us hooked.

I think it's a bold idea- but MS has been very bold with this system- I think they can really win this console war.

Fonkey Monkey
01-30-2007, 05:09 AM
all i want is like 200 miscrosoft points every 1k.....

Myncy
01-30-2007, 10:45 PM
If they do this, it would probably be points or a sponsor prize..

If it's sponsor, why should they care that people are cheating for points?

JonnyC VT
01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I think it's a bold idea- but MS has been very bold with this system- I think they can really win this console war.

I think Microsoft may actually win this go around as well...(maybe not with this exact tactic, but in the overall long run of things)

Did anyone actually read the articles? It says they are partnering with corporations for prizes, so mainly we'll see Pepsi toenail clippers, Fender toilet paper, Mcdonalds socks, and other random items...MS Points may be awarded, but it is NOT the main focus (Unfortunatly)...IGN today had a story on this as well, so really this could happen!!

Im a Manatee
01-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Let's think about it folks. It could actually be the best thing MS could do.

We all agree that achievement collecting is the defining aspect of XBOX360 and makes games on this system more compelling than the same game on the PS3.

I think most of us are against the idea of gamesaving- though boosting seems pretty hunky dorey. If MS was to institute an awards program based on achievements a few things would have to happen-

1) Game savers would have to be stopped. You either delete abusers or prohibit them from competing- this would make the top 25s cheat scores seem like empty- dontcha think?

2) New Achievements would have to be (relatively) hack free. You could do this by assigning the game save/ achievement to the account it is being played on and not allow it to be installed on other accounts (which should have been done from the onset truth be told).

3) Prizes would have to be awarded on games going forward and not going backwards- this would get new people interested in playing- they already have us hooked.

IDEA!!! Achievements that say acquired wouldn't count. The gamesavers have to be online when they do it now, it would say acquired!

eXiled Killah
01-31-2007, 12:11 AM
IDEA!!! Achievements that say acquired wouldn't count. The gamesavers have to be online when they do it now, it would say acquired!

Sorry to bust your bubble, but not all achievements that say 'Aquired' were gamesaved. I know that my connection got dropped while I was playing Open Season, so I know that there's at least 1 achievement there that says aquired - and damn that if I'm gonna be accused of game saving that particular achievement because it was aquired offline.

So let me see if I'm understanding this correctly: If there's a reward system put in place where you 'trade in' points for rewards, then score wouldn't matter(because it would go up and down) - just the actual achievement itself?:confused:

Ex_Vee
01-31-2007, 01:48 AM
I think that it shouldnt be ne thing big, but u gotta work for it. Live say, 7000 gs for an Xbox 360 T-Shirt or something (That may be stupid) but I dont know what the rewards should be. Also, about gamesaves, I hate how people are accusin me of it when I beat Oblivion in 2 days (mostly one), I had the day off sheesh.