PDA

View Full Version : My faceplate project

TacticalChaos15
01-31-2007, 03:55 AM
I am currently hand painting my first faceplate! I was sanding off the original finish and scratched up the little black see through thing a little. Will that affect the wireless any?? ( that is where the signals go right?). Thanks!

Zef
01-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't imagine it would devestate the signal, but there may be some affect.

Why didn't you remove it when you were sanding, or at least have covered it up?

LongJon
01-31-2007, 11:36 PM
I shouldn't imagine it'll have any effect,as its the device behind the plastic which retrieves the signal,dont quote me on it though....

Im also considering hand painting my first faceplate...and am a complete noob on the subject,would I need to sand it down first? and what would I spray over it afterwards?

razzleson
02-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I shouldn't imagine it'll have any effect,as its the device behind the plastic which retrieves the signal,dont quote me on it though....

Im also considering hand painting my first faceplate...and am a complete noob on the subject,would I need to sand it down first? and what would I spray over it afterwards?
Best bet would be to wet sand it down completely with 1500-2000. Primer then sand, paint then sand, clear coat then sand, and finally buff it with some wax.

TacticalChaos15
02-01-2007, 01:26 AM
I sanded it, primed it and am now painting it. I will clear coat it after words and it should look pretty good. It is just gonna be for me though so I am not gonna take super long.

scoobydiesel
02-01-2007, 08:41 AM
what is it going to look like you never did say i dont think....

P1NSEEKER
02-01-2007, 09:59 AM
That little black bit is only the cover for the IR sensor so the only thing it will affect is your media remote ;)

TacticalChaos15
02-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Ohhhh Thanks Pinseeker, I thought that was for the wireless controllers as well, I dont have a media remote yet so, that is okay.

Scooby Diesel- I was gonna paint it but ended up not thinking it would look good ( I test painted a template faceplate found on the web and did horrible;^) so I just got a sharpy and drew some stuff related to X-files. I'll post a pic if I get around to it, it is nothing special but It looks pretty good for the 25 total minutes it took me!