View Full Version : Xbox 360's Seriously Flawed DVD Playback

eXiled Killah
01-31-2007, 04:29 AM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2088531,00.asp

I've never played a DVD on my xbox. Is it really this bad?:confused:

Myncy
01-31-2007, 04:41 AM
I find its a fine DVD player.

Sure, it's not the main one I use. I have noticed no problems watching any DVD on it, and I have tried at least 10 different disks.

zOwnerofallz
01-31-2007, 04:56 AM
I've watched every DVD in my collection of about 200 on it or the the HD DVD addon, works great, better than my Toshiba DVD player.

Spot2009
01-31-2007, 05:19 AM
I found no problems w/ the 360 DVD player.

Fonkey Monkey
01-31-2007, 05:45 AM
is it talking about the main dvd player or the hd player?
I watched a few episodes of chappelles show on it, and havent watched anything else because quite frankly it was just too damn loud(the system) so it ruined the experience.

Minty
01-31-2007, 06:32 AM
Iv never had a problem with it.

And they are comparing it to a DVD player that costs double the price ofthe 360. Thats a fair comparison :rolleyes:

Gunstar Chaos
01-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Yea never had a problem with it. As a matter of fact it has now became the only DVD player for the living room.

graemelunn
01-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Absolutely no problems with either the drive in the main 360 or the HDDVD drive.

Crash
01-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Yea never had a problem with it. As a matter of fact it has now became the only DVD player for the living room.

Same here. The 360's dvd player works great, enough so, that we moved the old dvd player to the bedroom.

TacticalChaos15
02-01-2007, 04:52 AM
I watch dvd's all the time on my 360, never once had a problem and I like that you dont have to buy the remote for playback like you had to on the original Xbox, this one, just pop a DVD in and us the controller, it is really cool. I don't get why they would say that?

magictroll
02-01-2007, 05:43 AM
Same here man, no problems at all!

Ex_Vee
02-01-2007, 06:10 AM
Worx fine fo me, but I don't have problems with overheating or in console disc scratching either

The Pants Party
02-01-2007, 06:20 AM
I play movies on mine all the time, never had any problems. Sound and video are great.

scoobydiesel
02-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Only thing i use to watch DVD's is my 360. before that was my Xbox i think so im all good.

Now using the HD DVD add on tho

Bounty Bob
02-01-2007, 11:36 AM
The 360 is perfectly acceptable as a DVD player. It's not nearly the best but it's by no means the worst.

JonnyC VT
02-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I use mine as a standard DVD player and enjoy the results. I like how when someone is online but watching a DVD it will say in their status "watching movie"...

I only wish it told us what film they were watching, you know? Like The Ring, Harry Potter, Titty Titty Bang Band, Meet The Fockers, Debbie Does Dallas, and other great titles I've failed to mention.

PerpetualHeaven
02-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Are all of you just saying it's a fine DVD player without even reading the article? Maybe you should take a lot.

Apparently $50 DVD players score atleast 35 on the HQV benchmark test (kind of like 3dmark for DVD players) whereas the 360 DVD player scored 20 out of a 130.

Now they did compare it to an $800 DVD player, but that's not the point. They even said a PS2 dvd player had better "quality" then the 360 one. They aren't talking about problems like freezing and what not. They're talking quality. It doesn't sound like any of you read it. All they were saying that it's bad quality.

I rarely ever use my 360 as my main DVD player. I have a crappy toshibia one thatI spent like $50 on, and I prefer to watch my movies on that. The colour quality and sharpness tend to be a little better. Not significant, but better. I only resort to my 360 when i'm having problems getting my toshibia one going (my sister lost the controller so I work with the play and stop buttons).

eXiled Killah
02-02-2007, 12:06 AM
@ PerpetualHeaven. Thank you! Finally a response that makes some sense;)

The article also includes pictures for quality comparison.

Crash
02-02-2007, 01:22 PM
@ PerpetualHeaven. Thank you! Finally a response that makes some sense;)

The article also includes pictures for quality comparison.

I have read the article and looked at the pictures. I have not seen any of the problems they show. In fact it looks 10x better and is much sharper and more clear than my dvd player in the bedroom. I once took it over to my parents house and we watched a movie on it there, and they also thought it looked much nicer. The pictures they show in the article look absolutely horrible and I am glad mine is not like that.

I don't know, maybe it varies from tv to tv, but mine looks very good and I am happy with it, regardless what others say.

Minty
02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
The article shows close up zoom shots etc. I know I dont ever stand an inch away from the TV with a magnifying glass to watch a DVD.

Who cares what the score is tbh- I cant tell the difference when im watching a DVD, so why should I believe its a worse DVD player because it only scored 20-something rather than 35? That test means nothing to me at the end of the day.

Like cars- you can read a review saying that a VW Golf doesnt handle as well as a Jaguar. Yet you test drive the VW and love it- yet its scored a lower score....

Unless your an absolute Audio and Visual buff, you wont notice the difference. Unless your TV screen is about 200 inches. And then your over compensating for something anyway.

Monsterbox
02-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Are all of you just saying it's a fine DVD player without even reading the article? Maybe you should take a lot.

Apparently $50 DVD players score atleast 35 on the HQV benchmark test (kind of like 3dmark for DVD players) whereas the 360 DVD player scored 20 out of a 130.

Now they did compare it to an $800 DVD player, but that's not the point. They even said a PS2 dvd player had better "quality" then the 360 one. They aren't talking about problems like freezing and what not. They're talking quality. It doesn't sound like any of you read it. All they were saying that it's bad quality.
Depends on how you read people's responses in this thread. After reading the article, what I thought people were saying was that the quality was good enough for them that they didn't notice any visual problems watching it and in some cases it was better than the DVD player they already had. Previous to the 360, the only DVD player hooked to the TV in the kids room was a PS2. The difference between the two on a 27" Sony Trinitron Flat-Screen is quite noticable; with the 360 being a much better picture.

Seems to me it's an extremely poor article. Any sort of "real" research tested this way would be thrown out as they did not do testing to support their original hypothesis. As such, the article doesn't prove anything relevant to what they're even arguing.

Gunstar Chaos
02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I've never had a problem with the quality and like I said, I moved my DVD player to the bedroom because the 360 looks better for the living room. Maybe it doesn't look as great on a SD tv as HD or something.

PerpetualHeaven
02-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Depends on how you read people's responses in this thread. After reading the article, what I thought people were saying was that the quality was good enough for them that they didn't notice any visual problems watching it and in some cases it was better than the DVD player they already had. Previous to the 360, the only DVD player hooked to the TV in the kids room was a PS2. The difference between the two on a 27" Sony Trinitron Flat-Screen is quite noticable; with the 360 being a much better picture.

Seems to me it's an extremely poor article. Any sort of "real" research tested this way would be thrown out as they did not do testing to support their original hypothesis. As such, the article doesn't prove anything relevant to what they're even arguing.

Hypothesis: Flawed DVD Playback
Proof: Benchmark scores and Quality pictures
Conclusion: 360s DVD player is flawed because the HQV mark was low and the picture quality was bad.

So how is that not proof and how did they not prove it? How do people test their computers in terms of gaming? 3dmark correct?

In terms of testing, they did an almost perfect job of testing. Other then the fact that they compared the pics to a $800 DVD player, they provided pictures as proof. But again at the end they explained the reasoning:

"Some would say it is not important, or point out that you can't expect a $400 game console to play DVDs as well as an $800 dedicated DVD player like the one we used. We would argue that, if Microsoft is going to make the thing play DVDs, they should do it right. We're not expecting to replace high-end AV gear, but $400 isn't cheap, the 360 has a ton of processing power at its disposal, and we have seen better DVD playback out of sub-$100 standalone players"

They even stated that HQV isn't always the best thing to base DVD players on(i.e. Noise reduction), but it scored zero on jaggies which isn't good according to them. Not only that they provided several pictures with all those jaggies. What more proof would you like? I can see a comparison to a cheaper DVD player but they didn't and I admit that was stupid of them.

And this is what they said near the end of the article: "Microsoft's gaming box does a good job of preserving detail, but it sometimes looks a bit rough. It's like playing a game at low resolution without antialiasing."

Regardless if you guys think it's "good" quality, it depends on the person. Some people don't want crappy DVD players. I'm sure some of you bought HD-DVD players. Why did you? Better quality right? There you go. This is just there to let people know that the DVD playback on the 360 is bad. Maybe not for some of you compared to your previous dvd players, but to them it's bad. It all really depends on what your version of bad is.

I admit it's not as bad as they make it sound, but i'm not a technology buff trying to get the best quality I can out of all my equipment. I've never used a console as my main dvd player and that's because my standalone one is just slightly better. All they're saying is that spending $400US, you should atleast get better quality.

ErkDog2
02-03-2007, 05:49 AM
my roommate rented a movie or two and never had any problems.

nny138
02-05-2007, 07:07 AM
mine gives me s*it if i try to watch a movie after a few hours of gaming but other than that it works fine~