PDA

View Full Version : Initial Thoughts

isw42
09-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Post here once you actually play the game. Below are my initial thoughts.

I like the story a lot. It's very original in my opinion. I haven't played a game before where you get to play missions from multiple eras. Usually you are just stuck in one war (which isn't a bad thing sometimes).

The sound was impressive. I liked the music; I really felt the atmosphere of the game as I played it. The gun sounds are good and the voice overs aren't the worst I've ever heard.

The graphics are sub-par, but I expected that from an indie low budget attempt like this. But as they say, graphics don't make a good game. Everything looks like what it is supposed to look like, but the detail is iffy sometimes. For example, there is no water splashing animation when you run through it. There are ripples, just no splashing. Why not? Who knows, but overall the graphics do their job at least.

The game play is a bit clunky and awkward. I often find the melee move weird to pull off, as there seems to be no solid hit (i.e. Halo melee, where you KNOW you just crushed someone's skull). Also, the A.I. characters do odd things. They will sometimes run passed you, kneel down, and shoot at people behind you while totally ignoring you! It's definitely playable, but sort of awkward to work with.

I think this is probably worth one, two play throughs max. And that's only if you want all achievements but don't start on hard. It might be a practical idea to wait until it comes down in price, as it probably will soon, before buying.

By the way, GameStop told me over the phone that, "It doesn't come out today, we don't have it." They said that even though I informed them that their site said Sep. 8 as well as the publisher's site. I just went to Walmart instead.

FakePlasticTree
09-10-2009, 08:23 PM
What makes you say not to start on hard? Is it a difficult game?

Tru_Warrior
09-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I started on hard and I'm on the final level now with no problems...if you dont have to specifically kill anyone all you have to do is run through the entire game checkpoint to next checkpoint :-/

DivinityCycle
09-11-2009, 12:50 AM
IMO this is a pretty terrible game.
The graphics are fairly inconsistent. There are models and effects which honestly look pretty good, but then lots of others that look like an Xbox 1 game. The animations, particularly the animations for your weapons and hands, are bad, sometimes LOL-worthy.

Me and my roommates seriously kept cracking up while playing / watching this game, because its just soooo stupid. The friend I was forcing to play this godawful game only kept at it because he wanted to get 100 points for "punching a horse in the face, killing it,".

Wait until you see the part in one of the WWII missions where you put on a gask mask. If you don't LOL, then maybe your standards of quality are a little messed up...

IGN gave this game like a 3.6 out of 10, if that helps put it in perspective.

Essentially this is another game like Shellshock 2: you will seriously only play this for achievements.

LukeWnek
09-11-2009, 01:23 AM
^

You maybe right about the graphics and gameplay but I disagree about only playing for achievements

Yes this is only a rent because its a short game and obviouslly not much replay value after achievements

But the story line, well I believed it to be a fairly decent story line because its original.
Sure this is an easy thousand, but the story is acctually pretty decent if you pay attention to it.

Story wise - 8/10

Graphics 2/10

Gameplay 4/10 (Ive seen worse...)

DivinityCycle
09-11-2009, 04:02 AM
I heartily disagree. The "Story" is exclusively told by the two main characters you interact with, both of whom have poor voice acting and poor writing. This makes it, at times, boring, and at times laughable because of the shitty writing. The game does not make me care at all what is happening or why.
There are many other storytelling devices that could have been used but weren't. I seriously don't think anyone is going to play this game "for the story". Aside from you. I guess that makes you lucky, because you enjoy things that other people do not, which means you'll be happier with the games you play. I'm jealous.

isw42
09-11-2009, 04:49 AM
What makes you say not to start on hard? Is it a difficult game?

I never said not to start on hard. I said the game will have two playthroughs if you opt to not start on hard. Meaning you will play through it on regular and then on hard, for achievements of course.

dethklok
09-11-2009, 04:55 AM
IMO this game could have been A HELL OF A LOT BETTER. Story line seems boring and slow. I like the idea your some time traveler. This is like turning point, the concept is good but the story line sucks more then a asain prostitute. If they spend the extra month or 2 or 3 and actually developed the story line and all then It would be a different ball game all together. But for now, this game really blows!

DivinityCycle
09-11-2009, 05:24 AM
Well the developer has made TWO games. One is Darkest Of Days. The other is a game called AquaSpank... for the iPhone... :( The theory is that they ran out of money during the production of this game, and then had to put it out as is, without the polish and QA testing the game needs, which is why everything in it is so laughably bad.

Deathbeard 666
09-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Post here once you actually play the game. Below are my initial thoughts.

I like the story a lot. It's very original in my opinion. I haven't played a game before where you get to play missions from multiple eras. Usually you are just stuck in one war (which isn't a bad thing sometimes).

The sound was impressive. I liked the music; I really felt the atmosphere of the game as I played it. The gun sounds are good and the voice overs aren't the worst I've ever heard.

The graphics are sub-par, but I expected that from an indie low budget attempt like this. But as they say, graphics don't make a good game. Everything looks like what it is supposed to look like, but the detail is iffy sometimes. For example, there is no water splashing animation when you run through it. There are ripples, just no splashing. Why not? Who knows, but overall the graphics do their job at least.

The game play is a bit clunky and awkward. I often find the melee move weird to pull off, as there seems to be no solid hit (i.e. Halo melee, where you KNOW you just crushed someone's skull). Also, the A.I. characters do odd things. They will sometimes run passed you, kneel down, and shoot at people behind you while totally ignoring you! It's definitely playable, but sort of awkward to work with.

I think this is probably worth one, two play throughs max. And that's only if you want all achievements but don't start on hard. It might be a practical idea to wait until it comes down in price, as it probably will soon, before buying.

By the way, GameStop told me over the phone that, "It doesn't come out today, we don't have it." They said that even though I informed them that their site said Sep. 8 as well as the publisher's site. I just went to Walmart instead.

very nice sir thank you! i might pick this one up and trade it in when im done... i just made some sweet cash on a scratch ticket hahaha! thank you again for the input on the game, i was hoping to hear at least something slightly positive about it.

oh and fyi gamestops dates on their websites and in stores are ship dates, not release dates. i would know i work at gamestop. i know its a pain in the ass why the fuck cant they just tack on the extra day, no one gives a fuck when it ships, what matters is when it will be on the shelves, but oh well. when you see that stuff, just add a day.

DivinityCycle
09-11-2009, 05:55 AM
This will be hitting bargain bins everywhere in a month or two. Its as crappy as ShellShock 2, if that tells you anything...

dethklok
09-11-2009, 06:19 AM
This will be hitting bargain bins everywhere in a month or two. Its as crappy as ShellShock 2, if that tells you anything... I actually enjoyed shellshock 2

General Boredom
09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Turning Point had a pretty original story too and look how turned out, and Legendary...