PDA

View Full Version : TB:RB Needs to be GOTY!

APX
09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
I spent around 4 hours straight playing the game, finished it, and still wanted more of it!

I honestly can say that I was a little cautious about the game, I mean taking a single band (I'm just saying in general) and making a game out of I would of thought it wouldn't be as great and visually orgasmic when I played it.

I give it 10000000000000000000/10.

/me ends fanboy praise.

What are your thoughts about the game? Something missing? Something not done right? Great/Horrible?:Bounce:

Ryot Control
09-10-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm going to play through it once then return it to blockbuster.

Good game, but glad that I didn't buy it.

plebeianprint
09-10-2009, 08:13 AM
It is currently a blockbuster rental for me, too. I hate to say it, but I'm glad that it's that way. I will stick with my Rock Band 2, as I need more variety out of a music game than what's present here.

Presentation's sweet, too.

Xedoss
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I've bought it and I like it, but can't say I love it.
I mean, I love the music, but not the gameplay.

The colors annoy me. The backgrounds are distracting, especially during the "hippy part" and, as ussual in a Rock Band game, the HO's and PO's suck.

I've always prefered the GH gameplay and notecharts above RB's and this game doesn't change that. It even makes it worse.

BloodOnTheSound
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
absolutely love it! seriously all the song are enjoyable to play on expert, nothing silly just good old fashioned fun that you can nod your head too.

Tom115
09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I love it, I'm not, well, wasn't, a Beatles fan at all so I wasn't sure whether to buy it but I am so glad I did. Aesthetically brilliant and all the songs are great to play. The only 2 things that annoy me slightly are the Gold Star cutoffs are really high... like literally, if you miss once you're pretty much guaranteed to not get gold on most songs.

And the other thing is overdrive on bass and drums makes it hard to read the notes.

But other than that it's fantastic, 10/10, no regrets whatsoever :).

Crimson Ridley
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
as usual in a Rock Band game, the HO's and PO's suck.

Wait, what? The HO/PO's suck? They're perfect, you can't hit them too early, and you can't hit them too late, that's how it should be. The chords work perfectly too. Some people just get used to the idea of hitting a HO/PO an hour before it gets to the strike line. These people are doing it wrong...

The game doesn't deserve GOTY, it's not got enough going for it for that, but it's absolutely amazing. I didn't know anything about The Beatles before playing this, and only bought it to add to my collection, but I'm so glad I got to experience the game.

The charts, awesome, not hard, but have some tough sections, on Guitar at least (i.e, solo to Taxman, beginning of Revolution, 2 parts in I Me Mine, solo to The End). Sightread FC'ed half of the game too.

The music, not something I would listen to all of the time, but not painful to listen to at all. I found myself dancing along to the music whilst playing, something that can't be said for games like GH: Aerosmith.

The presentation, enough has been said about it already, so simply put, it's fantastic.

And then the little touches are just great. Keep restarting a song once you get to the Abbey Road chapters, and you'll hear "Take 1" "Take 2" "Let's try that again" "Alright, ready" "Still ready" "Take 12". It's just one of those things that you really appreciate when you hear it.

Well I think I've said enough on the game anyway. As for complaints, eh the challenges are a bit bland, it's just a "Play through the songs in succession", that's not a challenge, I did that in Story anyway...

rckman
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I have been a fan of the Beatles for a long time now so when I heard this was coming out, I just had to try it as I am also a big fan of the Rock Band series. What I can say is that this game is definitely NOT Rock Band.

First it is annoying that there is no drum fills, they said that you would be playing Ringo's fills, but most of the songs have you play and then just hit the crash and it activates overdrive. Not a big deal, but for me it leaves a hole in the gameplay. Along with the whammy bar/overdrive not changing the sound of the songs.

The tracklist is awesome and really enjoyed it. But like Xedoss said, the colors are distracting from the gameplay. Some songs gave me a headache from all of the swirling colors.

Other then that the game was perfect. I love how they kept the drum lessons and practice modes as Rock Band 2. Also the sounds before the performance, practicing and such are great. I also thought it was very funny that they left in the "I've got blisters on my fingers!" at the end of "Helter Skelter".

I would give the game a 9/10

IWi11KickU
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Awesome game? Yes.
Worth the money? Yes.
Best band ever? Yes.
Well developed? Yes.
Game of the Year? No.

Keep in mind that no rhythm game has ever won GotY in any major publication that gives out such and award, and while this is a great rhythm game, it's not as good as RB2 or GH2. I love, LOVE, this game, so every complaint I'm about to give is far outweighed by the good things. But this is why it should not be GotY:

1. Lack of content. This game has only 44 on disk tracks. In the rhythm genre, 60+ has been the standard for a long time, with most major releases getting 80+. I understand that this is a single band game, and that licencing The Beatles was very expensive. That makes this forgiveable in my opinion, but it is still a weak point.

2. Not strong on innovation. The only new thing that this game brought to the table was vocal harmonies. That is a good innovation, but for a game that's based on band play, not solely vocals, the other players are essentially doing the same thing that they've been doing for the last two years in Rock Band and Rock Band 2.

3. Play modes took a step back. Compared to Rock Band's world tour mode, and Rock Band 2's dizzying array of challenges, not to mention the daily updating Battle of the Bands mode, The Beatles' approach to challenges is dumbed down. Playing all the songs in each tier is not on par with the consideration that Harmonix has put into these play modes in the past. There's not even anything resembling an ESL, which has been the gold standard of Rock Band games. Again, this really stems from the lack of on disk content.

The songs on the disk make up about 4-4:30 hours of game time, there are four single player modes, not to mention unlimited online interaction. So this game will get PLENTY of replay from me, but 44 songs do not, can not, make up a game worthy of the prestigeous Game of the Year award.

phatmuther
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
First it is annoying that there is no drum fills, they said that you would be playing Ringo's fills, but most of the songs have you play and then just hit the crash and it activates overdrive. Not a big deal, but for me it leaves a hole in the gameplay. Along with the whammy bar/overdrive not changing the sound of the songs. They changed those at the request of The Beatles/Apple because they didn't want it ruining the songs, which I agree with. These are classic songs that everyone has heard and know, why would you want to ruin the sound of them by having a whammy sound. Personally I'd want all the GH/RB games without the whammy sound effect, makes song sound awful.

Nozza XBA
09-10-2009, 12:45 PM
I dont think im up for buying this game .. Iv already put it on my LOVEFiLM rent list (high priority).

I, like a few other people here dont know much if anything about The Beatles but to me it sounds like a good game visually and gamplay wise .. but im still not gonna buy it.

Callum your post makes the game look good and makes me want to play it more but atm ill rent it..

For GOTY.. you must either be high or its the only game you have and you aint see what else is coming out this year lol *Cough MW2*:p

L0cke89
09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
It should at least get an award for the best opening ever made. I mean when they get up the escaelator, the background gets black, they get the Sgt. Pepper clothes, here comes the sun starts, they open the umbrellas and the background just has an color/effect-orgasm. It fills my heart with joy.

Seariously, you have to be dead inside to not just sit there and feel good.

brooks2000
09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I dont think its fair to put the game down due to number of songs, I would rather have a game like this one with 44 songs that i would actualy want to play. Rather than other games (GH:WT) that had around 85 songs and only 30 of those actualy being good and the rest thrown in to make up the numbers.

I dont think this is a GOTY game tho, there are lots of big games being released towards the end of the year that will snatch that title.

L0cke89
09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
@"only" 45 songs: These are all songs from one band. Do you know any band that has this amount of songs, that are very different in style and great nonetheless?

Metallica only had 28 songs by themselves. This is a one band game and should only focus on that band, not include other artists.

And one more thing. Can you even image the process to get these songs into the game? Look it up on wikipedia and you see how many people are needed to get those songs in this quality (best ever) And it's not cheap either.

Try to think for a moment before you just compare two single numbers >.<

daenius
09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
@"only" 45 songs: These are all songs from one band. Do you know any band that has this amount of songs, that are very different in style and great nonetheless?

Metallica only had 28 songs by themselves. This is a one band game and should only focus on that band, not include other artists.

And one more thing. Can you even image the process to get these songs into the game? Look it up on wikipedia and you see how many people are needed to get those songs in this quality (best ever) And it's not cheap either.

Try to think for a moment before you just compare two single numbers >.<

uhm, he meant that he'd rather play a game with 45 songs that are great (Beatles RB) than play a game with 80 songs where only 30 are great and 40 are just used to make up the numbers (GHWT).

he meant that in a positive way, no reason to bash him for this post.

L0cke89
09-10-2009, 02:20 PM
uhm, he meant that he'd rather play a game with 45 songs that are great (Beatles RB) than play a game with 80 songs where only 30 are great and 40 are just used to make up the numbers (GHWT).

he meant that in a positive way, no reason to bash him for this post.

i meant the other guy who complained about it. not him ;p

Xedoss
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Wait, what? The HO/PO's suck? They're perfect, you can't hit them too early, and you can't hit them too late, that's how it should be. The chords work perfectly too. Some people just get used to the idea of hitting a HO/PO an hour before it gets to the strike line. These people are doing it wrong...

I agree, and am not one of those people (even though I enjoy them more, because it's easier), i just feel like RB does a worse job then GH does with HP/PO's.

I'm constantly certain that I hit a note (or multiple) and then I still lose my streak and i'm like "WTF?!?!?". Especially when I did the same part a few seconds earlier.

Especially when you "miss" the easier HO/PO's that are 1 strum and then a HO.

KFZ Scrubs
09-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Well..... i haven't played it yet. I'm going to this weekend after classes are over plus i'm fairly certain i'm going to have a fun time on it :).
But GOTY?
I think that title already belongs to MW 2.

IWi11KickU
09-10-2009, 04:12 PM
i meant the other guy who complained about it. not him ;p

He meant me. Let me clarify again, I'm not complaining that there are only 44 tracks. I love all 44 songs and find them all enjoyable to play. I like these 44 tracks better than the 86 in GH:WT, however many were in GH:M, The ~40 in GH:A, the 58 in RB. I was just giving that as the main reason that it can't be GotY. It falls short of the standard in quantity, even though it makes up for it in quality. I still love the game, but for GotY you really need quantity and quality. The Beatles: Rock Band only has one of those two things going for it.

sixgun91
09-10-2009, 06:21 PM
I frackin love this game!

People seem to forget that rock band one only had like 40 some songs right? Plus how many like every single one of those songs? On this game every song is a great one.

APX
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
For GOTY.. you must either be high or its the only game you have and you aint see what else is coming out this year lol *Cough MW2*:p

I seriously can't wait to play this game. GAME OF THE YEAR!... before all the retards name cod:mw2 game of the year. -.-

;) From another thread.

B4d33nD
09-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I love how people give it either 10/10 or 1/10. Seriously get realistic. This game is not perfect and also not the worst thing that happened this year.

IWi11KickU
09-10-2009, 09:24 PM
People seem to forget that rock band one only had like 40 some songs right?

58 songs on disk, plus over 500 now available in DLC and add ons.

antnie
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I frackin love this game!

People seem to forget that rock band one only had like 40 some songs right? Plus how many like every single one of those songs? On this game every song is a great one. You sir, have a point. Plus there is no "bonus songs", which are just there to make the game seem like there is more songs.

Son of Kyuss
09-10-2009, 10:26 PM
9/10 for me.

My only major complaints are how the note highway's background is too clear and the bright backgrounds, especially Ed Sullivan's venue, kind of bleed into the highway and the notes blend into it. The other complaint is the 'challenges' as I expected them to be an actual challenge rather than just the entire setlist of the venue played back to back. Otherwise, it's a fantastic game and I absolutely love it to pieces.

Dack124
09-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Well, I knew that this game was going to be fantastic. And I was right. I love it so much!! It has 44/45 fantastic songs... the 1 I don't really like is good morning good morning, but that's to be expected. I love this game and it was definetly a great buy.

Alpha X
09-10-2009, 11:45 PM
It should at least get an award for the best opening ever made. I mean when they get up the escaelator, the background gets black, they get the Sgt. Pepper clothes, here comes the sun starts, they open the umbrellas and the background just has an color/effect-orgasm. It fills my heart with joy.

Seariously, you have to be dead inside to not just sit there and feel good.

Yeah, that opening sequence is just amazing. I remember my friend and I were sitting there watching it for the first time and we couldn't help but smile because of how awesome it was.

Alpha X
09-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Sorry for the double post but this is a different subject than my last one. I don't know if I'd give TB:RB game of the year, just because of the kind of game that it is. Party game, sure. Music game, definitely but GOTY, probably not.

That being said, this game is amazing for what it is. It totally immerses you in The Beatles, you really feel like you're one of The Beatles when you play this game or at least that you're right there with them. From the way you move through the career to seeing the pictures and movies that you unlock as you play through story mode, this game does the best job of making you feel like you're really living it than any of the other music games out there. (IMO of course).

On a quick side note, I really love that timer that they made that counts down from 3 when you un-pause the game if you paused during a song and I think the fact that they took out drum fills and whammying is a good thing because like I said, this is probably the most immersive game of it's kind out there and by adding in your own fills and whammying, you're changing the songs.

jacky rooster
09-11-2009, 12:15 AM
;) From another thread.

LMFAO :woop:

jacky rooster
09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
oh and my 2c, game doesnt have 'hey jude' so as much as im having fun with it, im still angry!

ThaFireman
09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Game of the year for me. I just have to get used to the hammer on's and pull off's.

mietha CAG
09-11-2009, 03:37 AM
You want a game that costs $250 and lasts 4 hours to be game of the year? I hear activision is hiring...

jacky rooster
09-11-2009, 03:49 AM
You want a game that costs $250 and lasts 4 hours to be game of the year? I hear activision is hiring...

or $60 and takes roughly 30 hours to 100% (assuming your a gun player)...

but i realise your trying to get your point across.

Mordhaus
09-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Mmm... I wouldn't call it GOTY, I think Scribblenauts will take that one.

XxIPUNISH3RIxX
09-12-2009, 04:20 AM
its a GOTY for me i love it!!:Bounce::woop:

KFZ Scrubs
09-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Just a little fun video of a fail review for people who love this game to enjoy!
YouTube - The Beatles: Rock Band Review Xbox 360