PDA

View Full Version : Highest Achievement Score Craze

zebatov
02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Aright. The original intent of the achievements were so other players could see how far you've gone in a game. Also for added replay value and harder goals/objectives. The points were to be used for something but they cancelled that and I never really knew anything about it. I'm just wondering why so many people want a high gamerscore... All it does is show how much you play, or how well you can cheat. Some guy was upset the other day because he put Hitman into his console, which apparently counts as an FPS, and it dropped him it... 16? Or something on the FPS leaderboard. Which is still fairly high, mind you. He ended up not liking it because of this fact, thinking it was going to be listed under a different category. He was really upset about this... To the point where he might need to call an addiction helpline. I mean. Who cares? Honestly. The only achievements that matter are the ones for games that you're actually gonna play. Not Fifa where you score a goal and get 300 points. Rediculous.

L3giOn
02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Why is this in the off topic section? I'll move it, but you should know better than that...

Krazie
02-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Well.. It's just like everything else, you strive to be better than other people/your friends. It makes you feel good to be higher than certain people (or all people for some people), and its fun to get as high as you can. Sure, it doesnt really MEAN anything, but it is what you make it..

However, sooner or later, you come to realize how truly unimportant the score is.. But, you still find yourself trying to go higher! Lol..

TheColdWolf
02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
:woop: I like having a high gamerscore just to coninue playing xbox360 alot.:uzi:

Cyrex
02-01-2007, 07:47 PM
while first of all its basically life just in a console, life is a competition, you can't just have fun in life or you don't go anywhere, You want to be he best because the best is the one that gets paid the most, ll this stuff about public schools and sports just for fun is messing with peoples lives because they ge to a job and they don't really try to get it because if its not "FUN" then its not worth doing, while the GS is basically a competition to have the highest

plus i am in a race and the winner gets 4 360 games of their choice

EL_A550_WIPEO
02-01-2007, 08:16 PM
I think the gamerscore ruins gameplay. Especially online gameplay. Its just a number all its goin to prove is that people play video games too much. I dont see why someone would pay for a game they dont even like just to raise a number.

zebatov
02-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Why is this in the off topic section? I'll move it, but you should know better than that...

Yeah... I guess. Sorry man. I didn't think it really had to do with 360 because it was about people going nutty about achievement points. Not about the points directly. You see the logic, no? Anyway. My apologies.

while first of all its basically life just in a console, life is a competition, you can't just have fun in life or you don't go anywhere, You want to be he best because the best is the one that gets paid the most, ll this stuff about public schools and sports just for fun is messing with peoples lives because they ge to a job and they don't really try to get it because if its not "FUN" then its not worth doing, while the GS is basically a competition to have the highest

Takes gaming too seriously.

I think the gamerscore ruins gameplay. Especially online gameplay. Its just a number all its goin to prove is that people play video games too much. I dont see why someone would pay for a game they dont even like just to raise a number.

I agree and disagree. I like the achievements.... The online ones are a bad idea though. Especially when you NEED 8 people to start a match. What happens when the game dies? Take Over G for example. Who plays that? Can't get those Rare Awards without a buddy. I like that last sentence. Why would you buy a game that you don't like just to get points and in hopes to eventually like it. All the games that I have a score on in my list of achievements I own, have played and have enjoyed.

Cyrex
02-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Takes gaming too seriously.

are you talking about me or the statement?

zebatov
02-01-2007, 09:47 PM
are you talking about me or the statement?

Lol. You and about your statement. I was guessing you were serious about what you said :)

I don't agree with that. Public schools teach discipline. They're hard and strict, man. You should go look through one. And I bet you I make quite a bit more than most people here and I am certainly not the best.

The Pants Party
02-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Because it's fun.

Why do you play the games at all? When you beat them, nothing happens. You're done with them and you move on, or you come back and beat them again sometime down the line. Video games as a rule serve no purpose other than entertainment, and if making the little score by your name go up serves to further your enjoyment, then good for you; if not, then just play the game and ignore the number.

zebatov
02-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Because it's fun.

Why do you play the games at all? When you beat them, nothing happens. You're done with them and you move on, or you come back and beat them again sometime down the line. Video games as a rule serve no purpose other than entertainment, and if making the little score by your name go up serves to further your enjoyment, then good for you; if not, then just play the game and ignore the number.

When you get past the 50 or 60k mark, you're just trying to get the most points. That's just trying to get as high as you can. But there's no point to it other than wasting money and time that could be better spent.

DaKing240
02-01-2007, 10:16 PM
This is an achievement site. Please don't start name calling users for something they enjoy. If they want to spend the money, and want to enjoy the game, then why should we care?

Im a Manatee
02-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Well.. It's just like everything else, you strive to be better than other people/your friends. It makes you feel good to be higher than certain people (or all people for some people), and its fun to get as high as you can. Sure, it doesnt really MEAN anything, but it is what you make it..

However, sooner or later, you come to realize how truly unimportant the score is.. But, you still find yourself trying to go higher! Lol..

Believe it or not, but every achievement someone gains, the figurative life of the xbox 360 is extended. The 360 is going to be around 2 years past it's prime, when Sexbox 360 is released in 4 years.

The Pants Party
02-02-2007, 03:14 AM
When you get past the 50 or 60k mark, you're just trying to get the most points. That's just trying to get as high as you can. But there's no point to it other than wasting money and time that could be better spent.

No offense, but who are you to say how someone should spend their time and money? Maybe I think your time would be better spent doing something other than posting on this forum about how we're all wasting our time. This is what we choose to do, so once again, if you don't like it... go elsewhere.

J Lo
02-02-2007, 04:32 AM
i donno if anyone has said this yet but in my opinion i think they should just totally get rid of microsoft points and make gamerscore the new microsoft points...that would b cooler than having to pay for extra stuff and arcade games

J Lo
02-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Believe it or not, but every achievement someone gains, the figurative life of the xbox 360 is extended. The 360 is going to be around 2 years past it's prime, when Sexbox 360 is released in 4 years.

sexbox 360? the hell?

Spot2009
02-02-2007, 06:53 AM
It's like why people are addicted to really fun games. It's just addicting. I mean, I bought GTA:SA and got 100% in it; I get absolutely nothin'. And then I 100% an Xbox 360 game, and you get something to reward you for it.

ErkDog2
02-02-2007, 06:32 PM
hahah well it makes sense in that it shows you've done more in a game(s) than your friends... but ultimately it is just a metric that shows how much time you have wasted on games!!

I think it's really cool though the way stuff like 360voice and Live Eye tract your progress and the 360voice web log posts are so humerus, lol

KilluhKam
02-02-2007, 06:46 PM
i donno if anyone has said this yet but in my opinion i think they should just totally get rid of microsoft points and make gamerscore the new microsoft points...that would b cooler than having to pay for extra stuff and arcade games

personally that would be stupid imo because if you 1k a game, spend the GS to get games, you would then have to replay that game to get 1k in it or you'd have a big fat 0 on your gamertag

zebatov
02-03-2007, 03:39 AM
No offense, but who are you to say how someone should spend their time and money? Maybe I think your time would be better spent doing something other than posting on this forum about how we're all wasting our time. This is what we choose to do, so once again, if you don't like it... go elsewhere.

Dude. You have a Gamerscore of 11k. I don't see how you're offended. I was just asking a question because someone made a remark to me one time about how I "only had 15k". How about YOU shut your mouth, mmmkay? How was I NOT to take offense to that? Do you people think when you talk? "This is what we choose to do". We who? Again. I have 18k+. Obviously I do it too. But not to the same extent that some people do. How about you read every line in a paragraph instead of every other? Or if you did, actually take everything into account before you post a snide remark. Got it? And maybe you should post a little bit more on here before you start telling me whether I should or should not be posting my feelings on a forum. :) Ouch.

This is an achievement site. Please don't start name calling users for something they enjoy. If they want to spend the money, and want to enjoy the game, then why should we care?

Maybe you should be looking to your other users to talk to about such things. As I said in my reply to whatever his name is there, someone knocked me for having a low score, when having a high score makes you....? Yeah. That's what I thought. There's really no point to it other than to show you how much of your life you waste. That's all I was getting at.

Edit: I should add that in my original message I was just starting a topic and asking what others thought of it. I never once said anything bad about anyone in specific, nor anyone at all. None of any of anything I say should be taken offensively unless it was a reply to a comment that was quite obviously meant to offend me.

personally that would be stupid imo because if you 1k a game, spend the GS to get games, you would then have to replay that game to get 1k in it or you'd have a big fat 0 on your gamertag

Naw. They could just change the colour of the characters "1000" so you could see what was spent and what wasn't. Just designate certain colours. Although 1000 isn't much for some games that take a week or more to get it.

It's like why people are addicted to really fun games. It's just addicting. I mean, I bought GTA:SA and got 100% in it; I get absolutely nothin'. And then I 100% an Xbox 360 game, and you get something to reward you for it.

If you get 100% it DOES give you something. I can't recall what now, though. Also, go beat Vice City. You get a cool T-Shirt. 100% it and you get infinite ammo and some extras.

The Pants Party
02-03-2007, 05:23 AM
You're special.

ErkDog2
02-03-2007, 05:48 AM
this rumor is such BS there is no way MS would let it be true, I mean there are people out there w/ tons of GS that would get free games, dur

Kaens
02-03-2007, 06:52 AM
And there's no point in doing something half assed and only having 18k points. It's a game, games have scores so you can see who wins. How many sports (another form of entertainment) do you see where they don't keep score? "Oh well Super Bowl is this weekend but they're just playing for the love of the sport and not even going to keep score to see who wins". See how retarded that sounds? Sounds like you. I'm so fucking sick of you little score people coming on and belittling achievements. Why don't you find a forum for people who like to tell other people that they have no life? See because this forum is for people who like to get achievements. Not for people who achievements have only pointed out their own shortcomings and they've decided to give up and dismiss the entire concept.

As I said in my reply to whatever his name is there, someone knocked me for having a low score, when having a high score makes you....? Yeah. That's what I thought. There's really no point to it other than to show you how much of your life you waste.
Has it ever occurred to you that some people who have high scores might actually be good at video games, love video games, and just be better at them than you without cheating? I'd bet that you've never done anything in your entire life where the time couldn't have been better spent doing something else. I'd put my life's accomplishments up to yours any day. Tell me what your doing that's so damn productive.

Edit: Hey being the nice guy I am I went to find you some better places where you might be more welcome...

Depression Forums (http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/index.php)
Personal Development for Smart People Forums (http://www.stevepavlina.com/forums/emotional-mastery/1576-separating-self-worth-material-worth.html)
Self Esteem & Confidence Forum (http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewforum.php?f=12)
Life Forms: The Meaning of Life (http://lifeforum.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=life&action=display&num=1094476174&start=0)
I Make Mistakes (http://imakemistakes.com/447)
I'm A Teen Loser Forums (http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=53306)

A quick Google search and I'm sure I can make you a reading list of books you could probably use to better spend your time to. Hey, I'm here to help!

DJ Psyanyde
02-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Hmmm wasting my time playing video games.... um duh if I wanted to spend my entire life worrying about serious things what would be the point of living at all. So let me get this straight ....playing video games and accumulating gamerscore i.e (an arbitrary number showing progress and or completion of a specific title) = waste of time ... but posting on an internet forum to get your post count up i.e (an arbitrary number showing the number of time you have offered your opinion or "insight") = credibility????? Let me ask you this who is to say what is a waste of time?????

ErkDog2
02-03-2007, 04:13 PM
if you guys can't have a productive intelligent conversation, then why waste ALL our times by making us read your drivel?

I could be getting more gamerscorezerzr!!$!#@ LOALZL:!!

dorks

zebatov
02-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Just so everyone knows, not ONCE did I diss either of those two fags before they started hounding me and trying to slam me. It takes a LOT, and I mean a LOT to offend me. I wouldn't even try it. But apparently all I have to do to offend you guys is bring up a pretty general topic that I could have with basically anyone at the EB here in town without them running to a computer like a sissy girl and looking up URLs that they think are going to hurt my feelings. These are merely replies to their statements within my thread.

And there's no point in doing something half assed and only having 18k points. It's a game, games have scores so you can see who wins. How many sports (another form of entertainment) do you see where they don't keep score? "Oh well Super Bowl is this weekend but they're just playing for the love of the sport and not even going to keep score to see who wins". See how retarded that sounds? Sounds like you. I'm so fucking sick of you little score people coming on and belittling achievements. Why don't you find a forum for people who like to tell other people that they have no life? See because this forum is for people who like to get achievements. Not for people who achievements have only pointed out their own shortcomings and they've decided to give up and dismiss the entire concept.

Has it ever occurred to you that some people who have high scores might actually be good at video games, love video games, and just be better at them than you without cheating? I'd bet that you've never done anything in your entire life where the time couldn't have been better spent doing something else. I'd put my life's accomplishments up to yours any day. Tell me what your doing that's so damn productive.

Edit: Hey being the nice guy I am I went to find you some better places where you might be more welcome...

Personal Development for Smart People Forums (http://www.stevepavlina.com/forums/emotional-mastery/1576-separating-self-worth-material-worth.html)
Self Esteem & Confidence Forum (http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewforum.php?f=12)
Life Forms: The Meaning of Life (http://lifeforum.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=life&action=display&num=1094476174&start=0)
I'm A Teen Loser Forums (http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=53306)

A quick Google search and I'm sure I can make you a reading list of books you could probably use to better spend your time to. Hey, I'm here to help!

School.
Sports. (The good ones)
Mountain biking.
Working.
Spending time with family.
Pets.
Not talking to specific boys who love cock on the internet.

All that aside from gaming I'd say is pretty worthwhile. And you ARE right about one thing. They were meant as a scoring system. But for each game specifically. Therefore if I have 1000 on a game and you have 560, not increasing, you wouldn't be especially as good at that game as I was. It was never intended to see who could have the highest GS in total. And I never once complained about having a low GS. I was just stating an opinion and you people get frazzled about it :) It's actually quite entertaining, hick.

And sports was NOT a good example. It doesn't even come CLOSE to having anything reMOTELY to do with video games. Sports have seasons. Video games do not. Sports have awards and MVPs and (in "football"s case) a trophy! Video games do not. You do not get a trophy for having a high GS. You get sweet F-A. Aside from Carpel Tunnel, Arthrits, poor vision, bad hearing (depending on how loud you have your surround sound, assuming you have one), headaches, migraines, empty stomachs (because I know a lot of you forfeit eating dinner with your family because you're having "just one more game" on Gears). Go ahead and try me again.

PS- You're 13 years older than me and you just got verbally whooped. When I'm 34 I should own at least 5 bars between here and Australia. I'd say those are some pretty good expectations considering at this point I'm just moving to bartending.

Here. I found a site for you, too.

[DO NOT PUT THIS LINK BACK!]

Actually, Mr. High Gamerscore. That meaning of life page would be good for you as well. Maybe make you understand that having a high score isn't all there is to life. At least that's what I got out of your "I-took-high-offense-to-zebatovs-comment" reply.

Edit: I'm sure a lot of other people who are superior to you only have 18k. DaKing only has 18k. 75 GS less than me. Are you saying he does things half-assed? You should watch what you say, dude. I might not be the only one you're trying to offend.

zebatov
02-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't think any of you actually read the original message. Never once did I say it was a waste of time. Someone else said that and no one bothered to check. Honestly, people. Use your heads. Please.

if you guys can't have a productive intelligent conversation, then why waste ALL our times by making us read your drivel?

I could be getting more gamerscorezerzr!!$!#@ LOALZL:!!

dorks

bobthegopher screwed this one up with his bitchy attitude. Then some other guy got all offended cuz his mommy denied him milk today. I try to talk about interesting topics, and people get all defensive like they have something to be ashamed of. Well, I guess looking at it from their perspective, I would be too.

hahah well it makes sense in that it shows you've done more in a game(s) than your friends... but ultimately it is just a metric that shows how much time you have wasted on games!!

I think it's really cool though the way stuff like 360voice and Live Eye tract your progress and the 360voice web log posts are so humerus, lol

See. If everyone replied just like this, there would never be any problems. Only two out of the entire batch of people that replied found serious offense in what I said somehow. One of which had no reason to because they have a lower GS than I do. Which means... Yep. Absolutely nothing.

magictroll
02-04-2007, 12:23 AM

I'm A Teen Loser Forums (http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=53306)!

HAHAHAHAHAH! Well put man! Hats off to you :P

magictroll
02-04-2007, 12:29 AM
All that aside from gaming I'd say is pretty worthwhile. And you ARE right about one thing. They were meant as a scoring system. But for each game specifically. Therefore if I have 1000 on a game and you have 560, not increasing, you wouldn't be especially as good at that game as I was. It was never intended to see who could have the highest GS in total.

Then why does it display the total GS on our gamercards and no the % of total games completed? Its a marketing scheme from M$ to suck money. If people enjoy it, great, there are far worse things to spend your money/time on. Id rather this then have people join various militias and armies...

DaKing240
02-04-2007, 12:34 AM
I moderated one of your threads, and you put the link back... let this be a warning... Do not do it again!

The Killer 47
02-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Gaming is just a hobby like anything else. Every recreational activity could be considered a "waste of time." It all just depends on the person. If you enjoy something, then it isn't a waste of time for you.

zebatov
02-04-2007, 02:53 AM
I moderated one of your threads, and you put the link back... let this be a warning... Do not do it again!

Hahaha. Okay, man. I understand it was taken out because it was too offensive. Wouldn't wanna upset anyone.

PS- It's still there. It was still there the first time, too. All you have to do is click the first word "Do".

Also, why did it say "Are you serious?" the first time?

Then why does it display the total GS on our gamercards and no the % of total games completed? Its a marketing scheme from M$ to suck money. If people enjoy it, great, there are far worse things to spend your money/time on. Id rather this then have people join various militias and armies...

Bahahaha. Video games or join a militia. Those are far off from each other. I believe it shows the GS total because it can't fit each game inside that tiny box. That's why they also let you compare your games to your friends. If it wasn't the original intent, comparing games would not be available.

http://www.2old2play.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=208&mode=&order=0&thold=0

After reading that, I have this to say:

As I've always said, added replay value. As for being able to show your friends your amazing achievements 15 years down the road: "Yeah? We have virtual reality now." Doh!

This was good, too:

"Larry Hryb (aka Major Nelson) coined the term for individuals who played games explicitly for the purpose of unlocking achievements to add to their score: Gamerscore Whore. In late November, StripClubDj reached the 100,000 Gamerscore mark. Whilst many people criticized him for the time he used game playing to rapidly increase his Gamerscore, it showed how some people practically revolve their lives around collecting Gamerscore, just for the sheer fun in continually seeing the "Achievement Unlocked" message on their screen.
As of January 31, 2007, StripClubDj has the highest Gamerscore with 108,298. David Dreger (aka Knuckles Dawson) owns the record for consecutive days earning at least 1 Achievement point with 436 straight days."

Kaens
02-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Warning: This might be a long one!

Just so everyone knows, not ONCE did I diss either of those two fags before they started hounding me and trying to slam me. It takes a LOT, and I mean a LOT to offend me. I wouldn't even try it. But apparently all I have to do to offend you guys is bring up a pretty general topic that I could have with basically anyone at the EB here in town without them running to a computer like a sissy girl and looking up URLs that they think are going to hurt my feelings. These are merely replies to their statements within my thread.
Yes you did diss me & the other fag (no offense Dj). In your original post, you tell a story about an individual and Hitman. Then you somehow brilliantly diagnose that he needs to call an addiction hotline. Then you came to post here to post your conclusions for all of us to see.

"The points were to be used for something but they cancelled that and I never really knew anything about it. I'm just wondering why so many people want a high gamerscore... All it does is show how much you play, or how well you can cheat."

See, that's where you're just wrong. Yes people who put more time into something be better at it generally but there are also people who are naturally gifted and those who no matter how much time they put into it. Somehow you concluded that anyone with a high gamerscore either has no life or is a cheater. That is what I took offense at. I'm sure if you took a poll of all people in general and asked if they find being called a cheater and/or lifeless is offensive and I'm sure I'd win.

And here's the thing. Trust me what you think doesn't bother me at all. What gets me upset is that you feel the need to come here and tell us what you think. It's been said a ton of times, this is an achievement site, it's for people who like getting achievements. Now to make the connection for you - people who get achievements get score, that score adds up, and as a result you insult not me but the entire site.

School.Check, graduated college. Point for me.
Sports. (The good ones)All State in three sports. Point me.
Mountain biking.Umm, I don't see how this is productive, but I have nothing against your hobbies so point for you.
Working.You just got a job as a bartender, and that job probably makes a lot of people happy, says hundreds. Hopefully you aren't dishing out too much of your worldly insights to the depressed people coming in though. I am the system administrator in charge of handling the servers for millions of people getting their email for the number one ISP in the world. At anyone given time, 4.5 million people are dependent on me doing my job. Point me.
Spending time with family.Well unless you live at home with your parents still, no way you've got me beat here. And even if you do live at home, you apparently spending more time in your bathroom taking pictures of yourself using the mirror then you do with your family. Point me.
Pets.My son has a few, and I can see the merits of taking care of another living being so point you.
Not talking to specific boys who love cock on the internet.I guess we do have something in common, but then again I am making an exception this one time so point you.

4-3. Wow it was a lot closer than I thought it would be, but I win. See keeping score does have it's merits!

All that aside from gaming I'd say is pretty worthwhile. And you ARE right about one thing. They were meant as a scoring system. But for each game specifically. Therefore if I have 1000 on a game and you have 560, not increasing, you wouldn't be especially as good at that game as I was. It was never intended to see who could have the highest GS in total. And I never once complained about having a low GS. I was just stating an opinion and you people get frazzled about it :) It's actually quite entertaining, hick.
No you just said everyone who doesn't have a low score is lifeless or a cheater.

And sports was NOT a good example. It doesn't even come CLOSE to having anything reMOTELY to do with video games. Sports have seasons. Video games do not. Sports have awards and MVPs and (in "football"s case) a trophy! Video games do not. You do not get a trophy for having a high GS. You get sweet F-A. Aside from Carpel Tunnel, Arthrits, poor vision, bad hearing (depending on how loud you have your surround sound, assuming you have one), headaches, migraines, empty stomachs (because I know a lot of you forfeit eating dinner with your family because you're having "just one more game" on Gears). Go ahead and try me again.
Sports are an excellent example, you are just too stupid to see it. The point that went over your head is they are both just mindless forms of entertainment. Like watching tv, listening to music, hanging with friends, going to movies, driving vehicles for fun, etc.

For the record I always have dinner with my son and never pass up meals with him to game. I may pass on dinner if I am not hungry and then end up gaming, but the missing of the meal is not because of the gaming. I also drive my son to school everyday, sit and do his homework with him, eat dinner, and tuck him in bed after we read together. Every night. Once my responsibilities are handled then I game. Cause it's my time now and I'll spend it in whatever way I enjoy. I don't do it for GS, I do it because I love games. Games have been my major for of entertainment for the past 20+ years. So even if I wasn't trying for the achievements I'd have a high score. Add in the fact that I'm an addictive collector (complete pokedex for example) and I end up playing some games more than I would normally because I want the achievements. That's my choice, that's how I choose to spend my time. You want to mountain bike, I want to get that last achievement.

PS- You're 13 years older than me and you just got verbally whooped. When I'm 34 I should own at least 5 bars between here and Australia. I'd say those are some pretty good expectations considering at this point I'm just moving to bartending.

Perhaps you don't understand how debates work, but you have yet to counter any of my points or make any good ones of your own. As a result, it's clear that you have not "verbally whooped" me in any way. The fact that you feel like you have now makes me feel bad even responding to you because I feel like the bully picking on the short bus kid.

Actually, Mr. High Gamerscore. That meaning of life page would be good for you as well. Maybe make you understand that having a high score isn't all there is to life. At least that's what I got out of your "I-took-high-offense-to-zebatovs-comment" reply.

I take no offense at your comments, but the manner and place they were made. I'm pretty sure I have a much better grasp of the meaning of life than you considering I have a very good and happy life, with a close family and friends.

Edit: I'm sure a lot of other people who are superior to you only have 18k. DaKing only has 18k. 75 GS less than me. Are you saying he does things half-assed? You should watch what you say, dude. I might not be the only one you're trying to offend.

I'd bet a banning, you or me, on whether DaKing took offense at what I said. See unlike you he knows it's not your score I have a problem with it's the diarrhea that comes out of your mouth. Since diarrhea doesn't come out of his mouth he would not be offended.

Bahahaha. Video games or join a militia. Those are far off from each other. I believe it shows the GS total because it can't fit each game inside that tiny box. That's why they also let you compare your games to your friends. If it wasn't the original intent, comparing games would not be available.

Are you really that stupid? They can make it show or display whatever they want.

http://www.2old2play.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=208&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Two things -

1st You are not old enough to be on that site, I should report you for being a Timmy but I don't care enough and I trust someone here will care enough and just do it on general principle.

2nd Umm, please explain to me how you know what the intent was. Then after that you can explain why being able to see/compare your detailed stats means there couldn't also be a total. The concept is gamer score, then the detailed view is for those that want to dig in and compare with their friends. It's there if you want it, and if you don't ignore it.

Okay, so I've said about all I'm going to say here. There is no point in going in circles all day, for me that would be a waste of time I could better spend gaming. You feel free to continually posting a half dozen replies to your own thread and feeling that you've won. Also don't feel special, these threads happen about every two weeks and you just lucked into catching me when I was tired and irritated.

Minty
02-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Lets cool this down a notch or ten.

Gamerscores are only a number on a database at the end of the day :p

Point is- on an achievement site that is dedicated to heping people get achievement points, we will always have a combination of people with high gamerscores, and low gamerscores. Look at the admins- I have a low score as i spend all my time on Tiger, Webby has a score in the middle (well 30ks as i type, and Routine has a high score. Its a combination of people that make the community. Noone is better than anyone else.

Now play nice

|oneyedNewb|
02-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Yep gamerscores don't exactly prove that someone is better than you
at gaming.

nny138
02-05-2007, 06:59 AM
i dont get it either man, i know its sad- some people are playing terrible games just so they get more useless points! its certainly helping to increase rentals thou. it still makes me mad that you cant do anyting with them...id be exstatic if there were small prizes: for example, the first 500 people to get all 1000pts in COD3 got a Tshirt, Dogtags or somthing. that would not cost all that much and be great pr for the company.

Fonkey Monkey
02-05-2007, 07:07 AM
dizzamn Kaens:eek:
Ownage!

Tyger7
02-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Well this has gone quite far. This is an achievement site, so everyone here is pretty much trying for gamerscore. And I believe his list were references to things he did, not something he was saying was "better" than you. Which actually in return with your defense you made it look like you were trying to "top him" in life. If he is a kid, you might assume he would act like that and not sink to his level. Though he should have expected the negative feedback from his comment, that again being this is a gamerscore site. Thatd be like going to a soccer forum and say you play soccer, but you think it's a stupid sport. I wonder why a mod didn't lock this thread already. And Kaens what company are you in that has 4.5 million customers? You are not the only worker, therefore they do not all depend on you. Also when looking up numbers, I realized Earthlink has almost 4.5 million customers. MSN Space has 4.5 million people. Do you work for Blizzard? They have 4.5 million customers. Let's not overblow our work status to make you look so important. I am sure you have a good paying job and a nice family. I don't know his age, but if he is a teen, then your 15-30 years more experience is expected. Though that is not relevant in this argument. After him complaining about a point system, you jump right into competition mode and make up another point system with a score at the end. Why? All you have to do is a quick rundown like this... which is me... I have 37k gamerscore. I go to school full time, and work 5 days a week. The days I have off, are really going to school. My school is an hour and a half away from me, and my work a half hour. I don't make a whole lot of money. I have a girlfriend who is needy, and I must see her almost every single day. When I play, it is usually at 10pm-4am in the morning. That is my casual times. I lose sleep to play. See? No gloating, just the truth. Did I sound like an a$$hole? I don't think so at least. Please don't make another forum like this. As for the guy who got hitman and got pissed from the FPS thing...wow. Obviously you aren't worth #16 if you cant take the time to do some hitman, especially when a lot of people have 1k. That is more of a cheating question than anything else mentioned here. And please don't flame me! I have an important gamerscore to increase!

zebatov
02-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Kaens is just an idiot. He doesn't know shit. I already told him straight up he's 13 years older than me. He's OBVIOUSLY going to have accomplished more than me. He apparently can't do math, either.

1. Sports suck ass.
2. College is gay.

No points for you on either count.

And yes. Having a high Gamerscore takes a lot of time either way. A lot of time or you can cheat and get them fast. So how am I wrong? You took offense to something that made complete sense. Weird. And If anyone took offense to it, then it'd have to be true, right? Or they could be in denial... I guess. Because again, it DOES take a lot of spare time away.

"What gets me upset is that you feel the need to come here and tell us what you think."

Getting upset about people's own opinions? Wow are you ever a child. You have a kid? I think he should be the one raising you. He probably understands that everyone is entitled to their own opinion without having to feel like they can't express it on an open forum. Ouch.

"Now to make the connection for you - people who get achievements get score, that score adds up, and as a result you insult not me but the entire site."

Getting that score takes time which is part of my original statement that you seem to like to quote so much. As for the "as a result, you insult not me, but the entire site" part, that statement you made about people with an "18k score" could be taken offensively. You're probably right. DaKing probably didn't take offense to it. But he also only has 18k and very well could have. Along with anyone else with 18k.

You're an idiot if you can't find one way that mountain biking is productive. What are you? 350 pounds with an 83% cholesterol level? Think man.

"No you just said everyone who doesn't have a low score is lifeless or a cheater."

I explained what I had meant originally above.

"Add in the fact that I'm an addictive collector (complete pokedex for example)"

Pokemon? Aren't you 34?

I've counter-pointed everything you've said twice as hard. You're just trying to make it sound like I haven't. You might be able to manipulate other people, but I see through all that.

"because I feel like the bully picking on the short bus kid."

What's with the vague dissing? You try to belittle me in hopes to get replies like the ones that say "OOOHHH PWNED", but again, these are the people who are easily manipulated like a school girl when you offer her candy.

"I'm pretty sure I have a much better grasp of the meaning of life than you considering I have a very good and happy life,
with a close family and friends."

Assuming I don't. (Another point made)

"Are you really that stupid? They can make it show or display whatever they want."

Are you really that stupid? You're telling me that in a box (when pressing the menu button) that's probably 8 inches by 3 inches (on a 27" TV screen) they could fit your entire list of games plus the GS for each? No. Use your head.

"1st You are not old enough to be on that site, I should report you for being a Timmy but I don't care enough and I trust someone here will care enough and just do it on general principle.

2nd Umm, please explain to me how you know what the intent was. Then after that you can explain why being able to see/compare your detailed stats means there couldn't also be a total. The concept is gamer score, then the detailed view is for those that want to dig in and compare with their friends. It's there if you want it, and if you don't ignore it.
Okay, so I've said about all I'm going to say here. There is no point in going in circles all day, for me that would be a waste of time I could better spend gaming. You feel free to continually posting a half dozen replies to your own thread and feeling that you've won. Also don't feel special, these threads happen about every two weeks and you just lucked into catching me when I was tired and irritated."

I'm old enough to be on any site I want. How old do you THINK I am? Because I've clearly stated and you've clearly read me say that you are THIRTEEN YEARS OLDER THAN ME. I believe (if my math is correct) that that would make me 21. But apparently you can't solve grade 3 math problems. I don't know what you're doing running servers for 4.5 million people if you couldn't subtract 13 from 34. Ouch. Or you could just click on my name and check my profile so you don't look like an ass in front of a ton of people. That works too.

"...for me that would be a waste of time I could better spend gaming."

...? Lol. What have we been arguing about this entire time...? Lol.

So on that note. Do some research and maybe go through however many years of college you already did again because I think your head might need a work-out.

I will state again. You took offense to my opinion. Grow up.

Gamerscores are only a number on a database at the end of the day :p

Exactly. So people who took offense to my statement and/or cry about a statistic on a video game should learn that it's not the end of the world. All I was saying was that people who are bitching because of a number that no one really gives two craps about should go do it in a corner because no one wants to hear it.

Yep gamerscores don't exactly prove that someone is better than you
at gaming.

Another spot on. :)

i dont get it either man, i know its sad- some people are playing terrible games just so they get more useless points! its certainly helping to increase rentals thou. it still makes me mad that you cant do anyting with them...id be exstatic if there were small prizes: for example, the first 500 people to get all 1000pts in COD3 got a Tshirt, Dogtags or somthing. that would not cost all that much and be great pr for the company.

Well said. :)

Well this has gone quite far. This is an achievement site, so everyone here is pretty much trying for gamerscore. And I believe his list were references to things he did, not something he was saying was "better" than you. Which actually in return with your defense you made it look like you were trying to "top him" in life. If he is a kid, you might assume he would act like that and not sink to his level. Though he should have expected the negative feedback from his comment, that again being this is a gamerscore site. Thatd be like going to a soccer forum and say you play soccer, but you think it's a stupid sport. I wonder why a mod didn't lock this thread already. And Kaens what company are you in that has 4.5 million customers? You are not the only worker, therefore they do not all depend on you. Also when looking up numbers, I realized Earthlink has almost 4.5 million customers. MSN Space has 4.5 million people. Do you work for Blizzard? They have 4.5 million customers. Let's not overblow our work status to make you look so important. I am sure you have a good paying job and a nice family. I don't know his age, but if he is a teen, then your 15-30 years more experience is expected. Though that is not relevant in this argument. After him complaining about a point system, you jump right into competition mode and make up another point system with a score at the end. Why? All you have to do is a quick rundown like this... which is me... I have 37k gamerscore. I go to school full time, and work 5 days a week. The days I have off, are really going to school. My school is an hour and a half away from me, and my work a half hour. I don't make a whole lot of money. I have a girlfriend who is needy, and I must see her almost every single day. When I play, it is usually at 10pm-4am in the morning. That is my casual times. I lose sleep to play. See? No gloating, just the truth. Did I sound like an a$$hole? I don't think so at least. Please don't make another forum like this. As for the guy who got hitman and got pissed from the FPS thing...wow. Obviously you aren't worth #16 if you cant take the time to do some hitman, especially when a lot of people have 1k. That is more of a cheating question than anything else mentioned here. And please don't flame me! I have an important gamerscore to increase!

This is exactly everything I've been saying and more. He's a manipulative piece of shit. He has to lie about stats to make himself feel better about his lack of length in the crotchal region. Which is why I posted that link earlier. It's really sad. And in case he reads this and wonders what I mean by "manipulative", I mean when you say "Best ISP provider in the world" and "everyone depends on me". Wow. You thing I'll believe that without looknig it up either? I found the same things Tyger7 did and was curious about them as well. Tisk tisk.

As for what he said:

"And I believe his list were references to things he did, not something he was saying was "better" than you. Which actually in return with your defense you made it look like you were trying to "top him" in life."

This is true, my friend. Again. Kaens was trying to overcome that sinking feeling that he may never have an average sized weiner. Always having to be better than someone. And me, having insulted his strongly opinionated person with my own opinion, had to shout back. And lose he did.

PS- You talk about having a son but not about your wife... Leave you for someone less self-involved? And don't tell me you were never married because even I at 21 have better morals than that.

P1NSEEKER
02-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Can we please take this discussion above the juvenile name calling it has decended into if you want this thread to stay open ;)

The Pants Party
02-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Dude, fact remains that you are on a gamerscore achievement site, and you questioned why people want high gamerscores. Then when people answered you, you started telling everyone they were "taking games too seriously" and that they were "wasting their time and money."

You may not have meant to, but that offended just about everyone on the site. This is what this site is all about, the reason behind it differs for a lot of people, but the bottom line is they like seeing the number go up and yes, they're just "trying to get the most points" as you put it. But what's wrong with that? It's fun, plain and simple. Let it go.

Kaens
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Can we please take this discussion above the juvenile name calling it has decended into if you want this thread to stay open ;)
Damn!

As I mentioned in my last post, I've said all I've got to say on the original issue, but I will answer some of the new questions that came up.

2old2 play is for gamers 25 and older.. you sir are not old enough for their site.

I have worked at AOL for the past 11 years. I single handedly run the mail subsystem for the client. Yes there are obviously tons of people working here on mail, but we all have our niche. Few people do inbound mail, few people do webmail (I used to do both) but now I handle mail that's sent through the AOL client. So everytime you are sending/listing/reading/attachments/embeded images in the client it's my stuff and I am the only person doing it. Right now (12:11pm) there are 5,283,356 using the AOL client this minute. I just checked my tools. If they have problems I AM the guy that's called. Not some team, not a group, me. Do I have an inflated self worth? No, I could care less about this place, I know I can be replaced, and all day all I want to do is go home, be with my son, and play games.

My personal life is my personal life, I'll be as vague or detailed as I want to me. I think some people could put world's #1 ISP and the fact that I live in VA together. Yes, you might notice that there is no wife mentioned, that's because I don't have one and never had. You might not know about laws in US either, but it's not easy for a father to get full custody of his son, particularly if there is no marriage so you should know I'm doing things right.

Sorry about the detailed line by line comparison. It started because other than school or family I don't see how the others are more important or relevant than gaming. And I only stated my standing on the issues you felt were more important because I wanted to show you can do both. Like someone else, I sacrifice sleep to do my gaming and it's mostly done from 10pm-4am then a grab a few hours of sleep.

Anyways, sorry about the comparisons.. you are right about one thing it is certainly not fair since I've had a head start. But one thing you should know, whether you think I'm a dick or not, I'm honorable guy. I don't cheat or lie so if I say something (that's not opinionated) on this or any forum you can be sure I'm telling the truth.

ScottEvil30
02-05-2007, 05:52 PM
College is gay

Thats an argument totally lost right there :D

ScottEvil30
02-05-2007, 05:57 PM
And don't tell me you were never married because even I at 21 have better morals than that.

haha amazing. What a mental you are.

Tyger7
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
hahaha i just missed my whole lecture reading this stuff. i guess i dont have a life! (i'm at college). Oops.

You know, AOL was the FIRST thing that came to my mind. I think it's cause they always brag how many users they have. Anyways I will talk to you guys more later. Kaens with our gaming times, do you too find it hard to play with people on this site? it's almost impossible for me!

zebatov
02-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Dude, fact remains that you are on a gamerscore achievement site, and you questioned why people want high gamerscores. Then when people answered you, you started telling everyone they were "taking games too seriously" and that they were "wasting their time and money."

You may not have meant to, but that offended just about everyone on the site. This is what this site is all about, the reason behind it differs for a lot of people, but the bottom line is they like seeing the number go up and yes, they're just "trying to get the most points" as you put it. But what's wrong with that? It's fun, plain and simple. Let it go.

Chuck Norris621 compared games to life. That's why I said he "takes games too seriously". Read dude. And don't say I said that about everyone. He was the only one. And no, it did not offend "just about everyone on the site." Only about 4% of the people on this site have even seen this thread.

And the point is when people start complaining about those numbers it gets annoying. So what was the point of your new post?

hahaha i just missed my whole lecture reading this stuff. i guess i dont have a life! (i'm at college). Oops.

You know, AOL was the FIRST thing that came to my mind. I think it's cause they always brag how many users they have. Anyways I will talk to you guys more later. Kaens with our gaming times, do you too find it hard to play with people on this site? it's almost impossible for me!

I get very addicted to it, too. It's almost worse than games themselves! And I've never had the opportunity to play with someone on this site... And when I'm not working, I'm playing my games. Someone get on!

Thats an argument totally lost right there :D

Actually, it's not. For both personal and factual reasons. Another thing that would help me decide on your mindset is to know whether you're American or not. I just explained all that to Kaens in case he was wondering (which I'm sure he was) why I would say such a thing. And after having talked to him in this thread, knowing he's pretty perceptive and comprehensive of things, I can say that I'm 70% sure he would back me on some of my reasoning behind it.

haha amazing. What a mental you are.

I don't know what you meant by that. Or why you decided to quote that specific line and say something half-brained about it. I don't see what contribution you've made to this thread as those are the only two posts you've made in here. Neither of which had anything to do with the original topic.

ScottEvil30
02-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Well considering yourself morally superior to someone purely because they dared to have a child outside of wedlock makes you pretty mental. It isn't 1950 ffs.

zebatov
02-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Well considering yourself morally superior to someone purely because they dared to have a child outside of wedlock makes you pretty mental. It isn't 1950 ffs.

This comment has nothing to do with Kaens at all, now.

It's not healthy for a child to grow up without one parent or the other, or both. This is a well-known fact. A child who grows up with both parents that never get divorced and live in a loving family will turn out completely different than that of a child living with only his or her mother or father. Now I hope that you are one of these parents, or I honestly don't see the point in you posting your feelings which would be somehow against what I said.

ScottEvil30
02-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Not sure what that has to do with being married?

ScottEvil30
02-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Oh and myself and my girlfriend have three kids, all of them happy. AND WE'RE NOT MARRIED.

zebatov
02-06-2007, 05:12 AM
Oh and myself and my girlfriend have three kids, all of them happy. AND WE'RE NOT MARRIED.

Okay? And you have 260 posts. By now you should know that you can just edit your last post like everyone else instead of stinking up the threads with multiple posts.

I never said I was morally superior to him. I was talking about responsibilities with him because we were talking about GS and how it takes up time. Him and I are done talking about that now yet random passer-bys seem to still be interested in what we were talking about.

ScottEvil30
02-06-2007, 10:47 AM
And don't tell me you were never married because even I at 21 have better morals than that.

That looks a lot like claiming you're morally superior to me.

L3giOn
02-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Alright I'm about to leave for work so I don't have the time to sort through all this garbage right now, but this thread is obviously out of control. Let's try to stay on topic from now on and keep the flaming to PM!