PDA

View Full Version : IGN's 360 Bites It!

JonnyC VT
02-01-2007, 10:47 PM
90% of us have experienced this. Even more so, the ones that got their shiny 360 on launch day. No, I'm not talking about carpel tunnel in our left hands, I'm talking about a dead XBOX 360. That's right, we've all had the bad experience of poor English with "Tech Support", long wait times, and refurbished XBOX's. Now it's time for the guys at IGN to have the exact same time as we all have. They received no special treatment, and their take of the whole process is very comedic for someone who has had the same problem. The article is listed below, and is a 2 page article written in the vein of a game review (EVEN with a score for the process found on the second page!). Very fun read, and I like the score they gave it. I personally found the graphics to be a little better than they gave credit for:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/760/760269p1.html

o Machamp o
02-04-2007, 02:53 PM
This remeinds me of my previous, most recent, one month long experience with tech suppor. They lost my 360 in the mail, took them an extra week to get it to my house, so anyway, its back home, i christened it last night. It feels uber duber. I hate how microsoft outsources their jobs

The Pants Party
02-04-2007, 03:52 PM
I work at a UPS Store, we get about 5-10 of those cardboard boxes a week. I'm very shocked at the amount of failed 360's out there, since mine has never once froze or locked up or anything (got mine at launch as well).

sinsix
02-04-2007, 04:32 PM
90% of us have experienced this. Even more so, the ones that got their shiny 360 on launch day. No, I'm not talking about carpel tunnel in our left hands, I'm talking about a dead XBOX 360.

If you're talking about 90% of XBOX 360 owners experiencing a deffective console then you are mistaken. The last figure I have seen was less than 3-5% of all consoles manufactured have had issues resulting in defectiveness and in need of repair, which is below the industry standard. Meaning most other console have more issues than the 360 has dealt with. Maybe awareness is just up due to hype generated by the sstem and our means of mass communication have grown with developements such as this site and other internet related media. Just a little FYI.

Webb
02-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Those were only Microsofts stats they released, all a PR thing.

The vast majority of people on my friends list for example are on at least their second console and a survey in these here forums would throw up a few not suprising shocks.

Even Microsoft admitted the numbers were unacceptable, otherwise why would they offer free repairs on pre Jan 06 consoles.

sinsix
02-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Even if they are only PR numbers an innacurate, it's insane to say 90% of console came back to MS for repair. I'll agree MSs numbers are most likely low on purpose, but 90%, come on.

JonnyC VT
02-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I guess I should explain myself...

By stating 90%, I was going for an "exaggerated", humorous approach at storytelling. Obviously, 90% of 360 owners haven't sent back their console.

You make me feel like a dumb ass, having to re-explain what most people already had interpreted as an "exaggeration". And even with remarks as wildly incorrect as this, I appreciate Webb stickin up for me, since I too could say at least 90% of my PERSONAL friends are working with at least their second. Sorry for my crazy lies I spread like wildfire.

zebatov
02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
90% of my friends are on their second as well. I have the box sitting upstairs. I just can't bare to ship it off. And if we get an average of us three at 90%... Let's see... 90 + 90 + 90 = 270 / 3 = Omg. Omg. This is a shocker. It's such a surprising answer I can't even say it.

I can't speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure if MS did a poll, 70-75%+ people would have had to send their console back. At least out of everyone I know personally.

sinsix
02-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Of the people that I personally know, being a real relationship and not an online relationship, I know one guy that had to send his off for repairs. Just a guess without actually figuring them up, I'd say I have 25-30 friends with a 360 and about 3/4 of them were from the "launch" shipment, mine included. Having said that, mine will probably blow up as I press enter, but I think people blow this stuff out of proportion by only remembering the cases of faulty systems due to the fact that nobody get's on here and starts a post saying "my 360 still works, damn it!" The cases you hear about are people ranting about fried systems, therefore that's what you remember.

PS: I hope this isn't being taken as arguementative. I'm not trying to make enemies or cause a bickering match. Just like to type....

J2 Da R
02-06-2007, 03:09 AM
Pretty funny little article though :)

Yeah my first xbox died.

zebatov
02-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Of the people that I personally know, being a real relationship and not an online relationship, I know one guy that had to send his off for repairs. Just a guess without actually figuring them up, I'd say I have 25-30 friends with a 360 and about 3/4 of them were from the "launch" shipment, mine included. Having said that, mine will probably blow up as I press enter, but I think people blow this stuff out of proportion by only remembering the cases of faulty systems due to the fact that nobody get's on here and starts a post saying "my 360 still works, damn it!" The cases you hear about are people ranting about fried systems, therefore that's what you remember.

PS: I hope this isn't being taken as arguementative. I'm not trying to make enemies or cause a bickering match. Just like to type....

Nope. I was just gonna say though that you're right. But the amount of "cases" (posts/threads) you read/hear about can't make MS feel very good.

sinsix
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
As long as they're willing to fix the problem i'm ok with it. Yeah it sucks that they have bugs, but it could be worse if they just said, sorry, buddy. You're shit out of luck. Buy another system. I believe they extended the waranty didn't they?

JonnyC VT
02-07-2007, 12:48 AM
As long as they're willing to fix the problem i'm ok with it. Yeah it sucks that they have bugs, but it could be worse if they just said, sorry, buddy. You're shit out of luck. Buy another system. I believe they extended the waranty didn't they?

Yeah, we're looking at 1 year warranties now. And no Sin, you're not being argumentative, you're making valid comments. I love my 360, and if it breaks 1000 times, I'll still love it...just not if I have to pay for replacements ;)

sinsix
02-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I love my 360, and if it breaks 1000 times, I'll still love it...just not if I have to pay for replacements ;)

Damn straight! That's the money shot, right there. If I have too shell out $400 a year then "F" Microsoft. But, if they'll stand by their product(as they have so far in my experience) then march on 360!